SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Any UAG or UNAM students?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by FutureTXDr, Mar 23, 2007.

1. FutureTXDr

FutureTXDr Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2005
    I am considering UAG (Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara) as "plan B" incase I don't get into a United States school. I was wondering if any current UAG students or graduates or former students could provide information on their experiences at UAG and wether they would recommend for people to go the fifth pathway? Thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Taus

Taus . Moderator 10+ Year Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Philly
    You might have better luck and more informed responses either in the foreign school portion of this site (further down on the main forum page) or on a site that has much more traffic from IMG's (ie valuemd.com)

4. njbmd

njbmd Guest Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

May 30, 2001
    Gone Walkabout!
    Moving to International Forums

5. FutureTXDr

FutureTXDr Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Seems not much luck here. Can you move it to the Allopathic Forum?:)

6. iwilldlvr

iwilldlvr not listening 2+ Year Member

there's a lot on valuemd

7. tradermd

tradermd

Feb 18, 2008
    the place is not conducive to self-expression and the school is just a cesspool of corruption, and greed. you make one false step and it might become your worst nightmare.

8. devilpup

devilpup 10+ Year Member

Jan 22, 2006
    CA
    this medical student has similar things to say about the university. You can read for yourself, http://www.mexicomedstudent.com/

9. internaldoc06

internaldoc06

Apr 18, 2008
    Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news, but the AMA is no longer recognizing the fifth pathway as avenue of getting a medical degree and practicing in the U.S. I don't know all the details, but I say before you consider going to UAG you might want to go their website and ask a representative of how that will affect your chances of practicing in the U.S.

10. Khanoom

Khanoom 2+ Year Member

Jul 22, 2007
    PR

UAG is not a bad option at all. First of all go to valumd and talk to the students there. Secondly, since 5th pathway is discontinued that means it would take you 6 yrs to graduate as oppose to 5 yrs, and then you have to take ECFMG. As far as the actual school its nice and big, and sure there are problems there like as in anywhere else but you do end up working with spanish speaking folks which if you do well on your boards can be a great advantage for you come residency.
    Dont forget you would also be living in mexico, a big country with plenty to offer.

So, make your own decision.....I strongly recommend the valumd forum for this decision.