1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Any UAG or UNAM students?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by FutureTXDr, Mar 23, 2007.

1. FutureTXDr

FutureTXDr Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am considering UAG (Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara) as "plan B" incase I don't get into a United States school. I was wondering if any current UAG students or graduates or former students could provide information on their experiences at UAG and wether they would recommend for people to go the fifth pathway? Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Taus

Taus .
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You might have better luck and more informed responses either in the foreign school portion of this site (further down on the main forum page) or on a site that has much more traffic from IMG's (ie valuemd.com)

4. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Moving to International Forums

5. FutureTXDr

FutureTXDr Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Seems not much luck here. Can you move it to the Allopathic Forum?:)

6. iwilldlvr

iwilldlvr not listening
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Podiatry
    there's a lot on valuemd

7. tradermd

MD/PhD Student
    the place is not conducive to self-expression and the school is just a cesspool of corruption, and greed. you make one false step and it might become your worst nightmare.

8. devilpup

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    this medical student has similar things to say about the university. You can read for yourself, http://www.mexicomedstudent.com/

9. internaldoc06

Pre-Medical
    Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news, but the AMA is no longer recognizing the fifth pathway as avenue of getting a medical degree and practicing in the U.S. I don't know all the details, but I say before you consider going to UAG you might want to go their website and ask a representative of how that will affect your chances of practicing in the U.S.

10. Khanoom

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

UAG is not a bad option at all. First of all go to valumd and talk to the students there. Secondly, since 5th pathway is discontinued that means it would take you 6 yrs to graduate as oppose to 5 yrs, and then you have to take ECFMG. As far as the actual school its nice and big, and sure there are problems there like as in anywhere else but you do end up working with spanish speaking folks which if you do well on your boards can be a great advantage for you come residency.
    Dont forget you would also be living in mexico, a big country with plenty to offer.

So, make your own decision.....I strongly recommend the valumd forum for this decision.

11. ENGAGED22

Pre-Medical
    Did you ever end up going to UAG? If so how was your experience?

12. ED I

Pre-Medical
    I’m in Guadalajara now... I went to UAG Med school tour Friday it was very brief...look if I go here it will be my last option... I connected with some students. I’m older with no school debt...which caused low GPA that I’m 100% accountable for...it was a choice not to have school debt and pay off personal debt...blah, blah, Blah... I’m a RN of 10 years medic of 17... I have to write a impressive MCAT and interview... I may have to go to a Caribbean school or UAG!!! If you don’t have to take that route stay your SELF in the USA for Med school.

13. doctuhhhhhem_

UAG SUCKS! I can tell you from first hand experience -_-
    JUST DO ANYTHING YOU CAN AND AVOID THIS FORSAKEN SCHOOL

ED I likes this.