Any Unfriendly Fellow Interviewee Stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Never had any really bad people, but some were just weird in that they were surprisingly un-outgoing. Like looking at the floor when talking to you or sitting by themselves while everyone else was talking together.

I think a lot of times people are just stressed or nervous. Especially for those that are introverted, it can be hard to expend the energy to do the "extroverted" thing when they're stressed out about their interview day. These moments alone can be a little haven for them to recharge.

Personally, I don't mind talking to people during the day if they're not being weird and just talking only about admissions stuff. If the conversations/people are boring, I have no problem sitting in my chair and waiting for the next "thing" since downtime is never that long on an interview day anyway.

As far as weird people, most of the people have been normal, or within that range of "normal" that I wouldn't think about it. The only exception was maybe this guy who proceeded to argue with me about something in my application. I won't elaborate, but suffice to say it was weird.

Oh man, we had this guy at my first interview... He wasn't a jerk by any means, but here's an awkward story for you... He was the first person to be asked "Tell us something interesting about yourself" in front of the group. Guy went on for a solid FIVE MINUTES about some dry research while the person who asked the question and the whole class just stared at him blankly like wtf, dude, this isn't the interview man. The staff member was like, "Ooookay... How about you Mr. Second Interviewee, what's something interesting about yourself?" Second guy was like, "I play the flute!"

And then it dawned on first guy what a horrible thing he'd done.

Haha, I have seen this a couple times too, though I'm not always sure that it ever dawned on them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Are interviews conducted in groups? Or are you talking about waiting in "line" to be interviewd?

I think a lot of times people are just stressed or nervous. Especially for those that are introverted, it can be hard to expend the energy to do the "extroverted" thing when they're stressed out about their interview day. These moments alone can be a little haven for them to recharge.

Personally, I don't mind talking to people during the day if they're not being weird and just talking only about admissions stuff. If the conversations/people are boring, I have no problem sitting in my chair and waiting for the next "thing" since downtime is never that long on an interview day anyway.

This.

I had a really early morning interview in another state, and I was jet-lagged and exhausted by the time I arrived at the admissions office. I sat down at a table where there were a few interviewees who were making small talk. I was sitting there politely minding my own business and trying to relax when one of them said, "You don't talk much, do you?" That annoyed me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, most of the ivy leaguers I've met have been great. I suppose the interviews are good for weeding out people like that.

Most of the HYPSM applicants I've met have been very low-key about where they come from. I imagine most of them are smart enough to realize they can afford to be modest.

Reactions: 2 users
my story:

I accidentally gave a guy the wrong directions to the bathroom and apologies weren't enough. He thought I was actively trying to sabotage him, got really aggressive, almost physical not just on that one occasion but several times for the rest of the day.

People are crazy.

Reactions: 4 users
Never encountered an unfriendly fellow interviewee. Just some that kind of gave off a gunner vibe

At one school: "So does everyone here have a high MCAT" ........:confused:

Reactions: 1 user
Never encountered an unfriendly fellow interviewee. Just some that kind of gave off a gunner vibe

"I'm more of a dog person."
"What's an MCAT?"

Reactions: 6 users

Stuff like that makes me want to just push back... say, "Yeah, I got a 43. You?"

Reactions: 6 users
As far as I am concerned, attending an Ivy league university is a wonderful privilege - and as such, should underscore someons humility - not inflate their ego. I realize that I am definitely in the minority regarding this viewpoint, but as an Ivy alumnus thats how I conduct myself - regard yourself as a representation of your university, and don't bring shame to the name.
I haven't met many bad Ivy Leaguers in my time. Worked with a bunch of them as techs in the ED, as our medical school is an Ivy's teaching hospital. If they didn't say who they were, you'd never have guessed, probably would have assumed they were some nice kids that were in nursing school or whatever. Everyone imagines that they are a bunch of posh, spoiled rich people's kids, but the ones I've met have been very well adjusted, kind people and were definitely nicer on average than someone you'd meet at my state school.

There are a few attendings of yore that graduated from Harvard or Columbia thirty years ago that I work with are a different story, but that was a different time, and I attribute their general level of dickishness more to their medical education and practice than to their undergraduate pedigree.

I haven't met many bad Ivy Leaguers in my time....Everyone imagines that they are a bunch of posh, spoiled rich people's kids, but the ones I've met have been very well adjusted, kind people and were definitely nicer on average than someone you'd meet at my state school..

It's jealousy/hater stuff. It has become trendy to sort of hate on ivy-leaguers in the past 20 or so years.

It's jealousy/hater stuff. It has become trendy to sort of hate on ivy-leaguers in the past 20 or so years.

This started with the hippies. When I said I wanted to apply to top schools, my parents were like, gross, don't sell out to the man.

I had no idea asking about previous interviews was a faux pas. Feel like a jerk. I had been asking many people this question, as I figured it might be useful to share information or advice. But I guess it could be perceived as nosy or intrusive by some.

Oops.

-Bill

I had no idea asking about previous interviews was a faux pas. Feel like a jerk. I had been asking many people this question, as I figured it might be useful to share information or advice. But I guess it could be perceived as nosy or intrusive by some.

Oops.

-Bill
Don't listen to the haters. This is your chance to share important insights about your other interview sites.

The important thing is that when you ask, ask in a group setting and don't ask it like a douche, then all's well.

Members don't see this ad :)

Oops.

-Bill

I don't think it's too bad. If you've been talking to someone for a while throughout the day and it just comes up, why not? However, asking someone in front of a group (or asking a whole group) to share that private information is a no no

Don't listen to the haters. This is your chance to share important insights about your other interview sites.

The important thing is that when you ask, ask in a group setting and don't ask it like a douche, then all's well.

Interesting - I would say never ask in a group setting.

Anti-intellectualism and anti-elitism has become rampant in America today. What will become of a country that loathes its best and brightest?

If you ask a group, there's no pressure on any individual. You say something like, "so, anyone have any other interviews so far?" This makes it sound as if other interviews are not implied, and due to this lack of implication, gives both gunners that don't want to talk about other interviews and people who have had no other interviews an out. Even those that have not had another interview benefit from when you ask the group, as they can hear tips and observations about places that might interview them later.

A: i was at an interview where 80% of the interviewees were from ivys and i was pretty intimidated
B: ugh i hate that
C: ...
some more small talk
A: so where did you guys go for undegrad. i went to (top 40)
B: (state school)
C: i actually went to harvard
awkward silence

I agree. It makes you stick out as the person asking the sensitive question.

I have had some good, in-depth discussion one-on-one with other interviewees. I don't know a lot of other people applying this year IRL, so it has been nice to really hash things out with people in a similar position (having many interviews, knowing you're probably going to have many choices at the end of the cycle). But these conversations always happened after some careful sussing out of whether or not the person is in a comfortable place to talk about it. I'd never use it as a conversation starter or in a group.

If you ask a group, there's no pressure on any individual. You say something like, "so, anyone have any other interviews so far?" This makes it sound as if other interviews are not implied, and due to this lack of implication, gives both gunners that don't want to talk about other interviews and people who have had no other interviews an out. Even those that have not had another interview benefit from when you ask the group, as they can hear tips and observations about places that might interview them later.

But people could feel pressured to talk. If you ask one on one, you can gauge one's openness to talking about this stuff before actually asking.

I had two lunches where a current student asked the table where everyone interviewed, just as an icebreaker question. It makes people who have interviewed at a dozen places feel awkward, and makes the first time interviewees feel inexperienced/noncompetitive. I thought it was a terrible question.

No one who was unfriendly, though there was a guy who was a bit.......off. At one point he pulled out his library card to show our student tour guide. Unsolicited. No apparent reason. The tour guide just kind of stared at him and then said "that's really nice" in the way you'd say it to your 4 year old that just showed you their fingerpainting. Very awkward.

But people could feel pressured to talk. If you ask one on one, you can gauge one's openness to talking about this stuff before actually asking.

I had two lunches where a current student asked the table where everyone interviewed, just as an icebreaker question. It makes people who have interviewed at a dozen places feel awkward, and makes the first time interviewees feel inexperienced/noncompetitive. I thought it was a terrible question.
I guess to each their own. All of my interviews were all pretty early in the cycle, so it was a very low pressure situation. Maybe later in the cycle it is a bit different. The information that I learned from someone asking this question was invaluable.

Personally I would view any information being shared and gained by the bulk of interviewees as worth the trade off of making a couple people uncomfortable. I just don't get nervous about these sorts of things though, so I really can't relate to the whole getting shaken up by a little honest question thing I guess.

definition of preppy white middle class dude: i went to Colgate freshman year, but it was too white middle class for me. I was looking for a more diverse experience in college so I transferred to Columbia. *Continue mentioning columbia every other sentence*
in my head: umm, Columbia is even more white middle class...

definition of preppy white middle class dude: i went to Colgate freshman year, but it was too white middle class for me. I was looking for a more diverse experience in college so I transferred to Columbia. *Continue mentioning columbia every other sentence*
in my head: umm, Columbia is even more white middle class...

Actually, having visited both schools, I know exactly what he's trying to say. Columbia definitely has a gritty NYC vibe. Colgate = boarding school kids.

That said I would never make a comment like that at an interview.

Oh this reminds me actually: At one of my interviews, a girl started ranting against affirmative action. It was really uncomfortable.

No one who was unfriendly, though there was a guy who was a bit.......off. At one point he pulled out his library card to show our student tour guide. Unsolicited. No apparent reason. The tour guide just kind of stared at him and then said "that's really nice" in the way you'd say it to your 4 year old that just showed you their fingerpainting. Very awkward.

lol I love your description.

Oh man, we had this guy at my first interview... He wasn't a jerk by any means, but here's an awkward story for you... He was the first person to be asked "Tell us something interesting about yourself" in front of the group. Guy went on for a solid FIVE MINUTES about some dry research while the person who asked the question and the whole class just stared at him blankly like wtf, dude, this isn't the interview man. The staff member was like, "Ooookay... How about you Mr. Second Interviewee, what's something interesting about yourself?" Second guy was like, "I play the flute!"

We had somebody similar when I was at a medical school tour (southeast). We were all first and second year undergraduate students, and a similar question was posed. The first guy went on for about ten minutes about his school and how wonderful it was and how competitive it (the school in particular, not even his course load or any other factor of his application) made him for their medical school. The rest of us were from various higher ranked schools throughout the state. Having realised what he had done, he basically just went like this
hugemistake.gif

How does this even...
I can't even fathom how this would appear in conversation.
He just casually whipped it out?
Does a sense of place just not exist in this guys mind?

How does this even...
I can't even fathom how this would appear in conversation.
He just casually whipped it out?
Does a sense of place just not exist in this guys mind?

I didn't read what you had quoted before reading this part. Definitely thought the worst before I realized the truth.

Reactions: 15 users
I didn't read what you had quoted before reading this part. Definitely thought the worst before I realized the truth.
"Look, I know anatomy!"
I suppose that could work too.

Actually, having visited both schools, I know exactly what he's trying to say. Columbia definitely has a gritty NYC vibe. Colgate = boarding school kids.

That said I would never make a comment like that at an interview.

Oh this reminds me actually: At one of my interviews, a girl started ranting against affirmative action. It was really uncomfortable.
Somebody is bitter she has to have higher stats to get into med school than a URM... I mean, I don't support affirmative action, but to go off about it at an interview is just shooting yourself in the foot. And then the other one. And then tumbling out a window onto the pavement four stories below.

I guess to each their own. All of my interviews were all pretty early in the cycle, so it was a very low pressure situation. Maybe later in the cycle it is a bit different. The information that I learned from someone asking this question was invaluable.

Personally I would view any information being shared and gained by the bulk of interviewees as worth the trade off of making a couple people uncomfortable. I just don't get nervous about these sorts of things though, so I really can't relate to the whole getting shaken up by a little honest question thing I guess.
kind of a gunner view, to deem that information you view as valuable being gained by others coming at the expense of others, even if it's a minority. it's ok that you don't get nervous, but not being able relate is not ok. i generally detest "qualities of physicians" type statements but come on dude. come on. it's part of being in a civil/professional environment to make people feel comfortable, to reason. and your opinion, in my opinion, falls just outside of it. jmo.

Reactions: 5 users
At a couple of my interviews I've gotten really bad vibes from MD/PhD candidates. A few in particular wouldn't stop mentioning their undergrad institution (i.e. "when I was at Harvard/Yale/Princeton/..."), and made somewhat snide remarks about me going to a small state school that's unknown to people not from the area. I think a lot of it might be nerves, and thinking that their job is to outperform the other applicants at all times.
I experienced a similar situation where I met a couple MD/PhD candidates and they made snide remarks about how I was "MD only" instead of MD/PhD.. I got the sense that they felt grander than me just because they were applying MD/PhD.

lulz, because there is some other Columbia University that warrants this distinction?

I knew a guy who once told a group of us studying at the same table that he applied to Columbia. When I asked him if he was eager to live in NY, he gave me a blank stare and corrected me, "Um, no...University of Missouri--Columbia."

:bookworm:

I was talking to one girl who was bragging about the 6+ interviews she had at various schools, and how she was having a good time traveling around the country. She then proceeded to ask me if I had gotten an acceptance from a school. I told her I got into X school. She responded by saying that she heard from "some people" that Y school (which is in the same state as X) was better than X school.

^-- could have been how the second person came across after everyone just listened to an abstract from the first guy.

Reactions: 3 users
kind of a gunner view, to deem that information you view as valuable being gained by others coming at the expense of others, even if it's a minority. it's ok that you don't get nervous, but not being able relate is not ok. i generally detest "qualities of physicians" type statements but come on dude. come on. it's part of being in a civil/professional environment to make people feel comfortable, to reason. and your opinion, in my opinion, falls just outside of it. jmo.
Hey, their feelings aren't my problem. I'm not going out of my way to get them shaken up, and if it does, it's their personal insecurities that are doing it to them, not the question itself. Not my fault they aren't a bit more emotionally resilient. I'm not big on walking on eggshells, being politically correct, or appeasing others. I believe it to be a very constructive question for numerous reasons, and sure as hell won't hold back because there's a chance I might offend one or two guys in my interview group of a dozen people. If it benefits 11 people but leaves one guy splashing his face with cold water in the bathroom to try and wash away his discomfort, that's on him. How's a person that sensitive going to react the first time they have to tell a family their loved one is circling the drain and there's nothing we can do?

Not that it really matters, I'm all done with interviews, so no one will have to deal with my unbearable question ever again.

I've met some "off" peeps throughout my journey; it has never failed that they talk about wanting to go into something like forensic path. Good idea. Get them away from the living as quickly as possible.

Hey, their feelings aren't my problem. I'm not going out of my way to get them shaken up, and if it does, it's their personal insecurities that are doing it to them, not the question itself. Not my fault they aren't a bit more emotionally resilient. I'm not big on walking on eggshells, being politically correct, or appeasing others. I believe it to be a very constructive question for numerous reasons, and sure as hell won't hold back because there's a chance I might offend one or two guys in my interview group of a dozen people. If it benefits 11 people but leaves one guy splashing his face with cold water in the bathroom to try and wash away his discomfort, that's on him. How's a person that sensitive going to react the first time they have to tell a family their loved one is circling the drain and there's nothing we can do?

Not that it really matters, I'm all done with interviews, so no one will have to deal with my unbearable question ever again.
No, they'll just have your charming personality to look forward to....

I hear what you're saying man, but there's a difference between being a P.C. Nazi and adhering to standards of common courtesy. The question isn't really all that bad, and does come up pretty often, but I think it is more courteous not to initiate it. Especially not as an icebreaker (although once you've gotten to know the person a little better and have a feeling they've been to a few interviews, it's of course NBD).

No, they'll just have your charming personality to look forward to....
I'm Texan, the personality comes with the territory. I'm always honest, I'm a straight shooter, and I don't hold back. If you think that people kowtowing around one another's feelings is how people should be, then I guess that's your prerogative. Personally, I respect people enough to tell them how I feel about them to their face, and to believe that they are capable of conversing about difficult and sometimes controversial topics and issues without crying in a shower somewhere afterward.

Edit: I will state for the record that I have never claimed to not be a dick.

I'm Texan, the personality comes with the territory. I'm always honest, I'm a straight shooter, and I don't hold back. If you think that people kowtowing around one another's feelings is how people should be, then I guess that's your prerogative. Personally, I respect people enough to tell them how I feel about them to their face, and to believe that they are capable of conversing about difficult and sometimes controversial topics and issues without crying in a shower somewhere afterward.
Nice way to say arrogant and tactless

Only one guy stuck out. This was at a "lower tier" med school focused on community health. He went to Penn for undergrad. When we were all making our introductions he made it a point to shake hands with the only other interviewee from Penn. Didn't talk, much less shake hands with any other interviewee that day.

Edit: I will state for the record that I have never claimed to not be a dick.
Yeah I'm from Texas too man and if you think Momma didn't teach me to mind my manners you're kidding yourself. You can call it being a dick if you want but don't make it sound like that's how we all are.

Fellow interviewee #1: "I'm serving in the military."
Me: "Thank you for your sacrifice."
Fellow interviewee #1: "They say it takes a very special person to serve in the military."
Me: "I'm sure it does."

Now I'm especially sure it does.

Reactions: 2 users
I hear what you're saying man, but there's a difference between being a P.C. Nazi and adhering to standards of common courtesy. The question isn't really all that bad, and does come up pretty often, but I think it is more courteous not to initiate it. Especially not as an icebreaker (although once you've gotten to know the person a little better and have a feeling they've been to a few interviews, it's of course NBD).
It's definitely not an icebreaker question. But usually you get a good feel for the group early on, and you can tell what can fly and what won't. Most of the people I was interviewing with were these crazy stellar candidates that I felt really out of place being interviewed with- they definitely weren't the sort of people that would get all upset over such a question.

For the record, I never asked this question, it always was somebody else in the group that brought it up and it was an awesome question that I'm glad they brought out. Gave me heads up on how two of my future interviews would go, and really helped me out.

Most of the people I was interviewing with were these crazy stellar candidates that I felt really out of place being interviewed with- they definitely weren't the sort of people that would get all upset over such a question.

Yeah, you really don't know that. I mean--upset? Probably not But unhappy? Yes. If you are very successful, then at a certain point honest answers tend to start making people either mad or sad. Answer honestly and you look like a gunner or a dick, don't answer and you look unfriendly...it's a lose lose situation for those 'stellar candidates' unless they are dinguses.

It's definitely not an icebreaker question. But usually you get a good feel for the group early on, and you can tell what can fly and what won't. Most of the people I was interviewing with were these crazy stellar candidates that I felt really out of place being interviewed with- they definitely weren't the sort of people that would get all upset over such a question.

For the record, I never asked this question, it always was somebody else in the group that brought it up and it was an awesome question that I'm glad they brought out. Gave me heads up on how two of my future interviews would go, and really helped me out.

It's interesting seeing how people perceive asking this question-and very revealing as to who they are, I think. I didn't ask because there's a big element of luck to this process and I'd hear everything from "This is my eleventh interview" to "This is my second interview." The other interview being UCSF, in that applicant's case :p It's a touchy subject and there are very, very few ways for people to comfortably answer that question if they're at all self-aware.

Anti-intellectualism and anti-elitism has become rampant in America today. What will become of a country that loathes its best and brightest?

Was going to reply to this --

then saw your post where you said you are a Texan --

and realized that you already knew with certainty what becomes of places that loathe their best and brightest...