Any Unfriendly Fellow Interviewee Stories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, like I said in my later post, Texans aren't all alike. It's a diverse state, and many of the people, particularly in the cities, are very cultured, intelligent, and well-mannered.
You don't have to be from Plano or Bellaire to be "cultured, intelligent, and well-mannered" nor are those qualities necessarily concentrated in suburbia or metropolitan areas. In many cases in my personal life I've noticed the exact opposite trend. Every remark you make contains some sort of left handed critique, please stop trying to be a spokesman for my state.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
at my state school interview, when we were going around saying where we were all from, one guy stated he went to "Columbia University in the City of New York." killed me.

please tell me this didn't happen at my school...

Thankfully, not there. It was the school some 100 blocks southeast from your school. ;)

Same. I always found it weird when adcoms/deans would bash SDN as well. I mean...their peers are on these forums giving advice...they are essentially bashing their fellow adcoms/attendings.

At one of my interviews (where I'm now planning to go, I think, probably, maybe), the dean actually referred to a post I had made in that school's thread. It was a really innocuous comment--someone asked for some information and he was like, "Oh yeah I saw someone posted this on SDN, here is the info --". It was such a weird split second when I realized he was referring to a post I had made. First I felt like a huge weirdo SDN creep, then I felt the tiniest smidge of pride, then like the biggest loser in the entire world for even that tinge of pride. Then I forgot about it til this very moment.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There's a reason I live in the Northeast now lol. I love my relatives, but we'd always come to odds over policy and whatnot, because it really can be a hard right state. They're very anti-intellectual and believe higher education is basically a liberal conspiracy to indoctrinate the masses. If we disagree about anything, they claim it's just liberal indoctrination in college that has warped my views, despite the fact I'm dead-center on the political spectrum. They really don't trust scientific reporting at all, and, while they respect my decision to pursue medical school, believe the medical industry has sold out to big pharma etc.

The section in bold is true for me too... but I live in Pennsylvania. :sick: Haters gon' hate.

Reactions: 1 user
two moments in particular stand out:
1.) i interviewed at a school that used their lunch w/ current students as a mini-interview. anyway, i got my food and sat down next to another interviewee. after exchanging pleasantries (just names and where we were from), the first thing out of his mouth is (and quite nastily, i might add): "if you're from [state], then why are you here at [med school]?" not what undergrad i was from, not what i had studied, not what i was doing not, not what i thought about the weather... but that question.

i'm not going to lie, i definitely blinked a few times in surprise. then i went on to smoothly answer how the school's mission fit my career goals. i then posed the question back to him, as he was OOS as well. guy parroted my answer back to me.

2.) girl asks me where i've been accepted. at first i don't wanna say anything because i know no one in my interview group has gotten in anywhere else (don't want be a dbag), but she keeps asking since i don't say anything. so i finally tell her, quietly.

she then promptly brings up that fact in front of one of admissions officers like 20 minutes after the fact. the adcom looks at me for my response, and i go "well, i may have been accepted at [school], but i wouldn't be taking a day out of work and spending time here if i didn't want to go here. plus, i had a great time at [alma mater], so i imagine the med school is the same."

anyway, long story short, accepted at both schools. chyeah~

i just don't get why some interviewees are so nasty. it's like... you might be going to school with these people one day! :/ do you really want to start off the school year with someone thinking you're a d*ck?

EDIT: holy crap my long workday is getting to me! haha... sads.

Reactions: 4 users
Am I the only one who really liked the vast majority of my fellow interviewees? No annoying stories to share... sigh...

On the other hand, the "Similar Threads" below really make me want to necrobump the "Hot FellowInterviewees" thread.

Reactions: 3 users
Am I the only one who really liked the vast majority of my fellow interviewees? No annoying stories to share... sigh...

On the other hand, the "Similar Threads" below really make me want to necrobump the "Hot FellowInterviewees" thread.

I'm with you. I keep trying to think back and come up with things so I can be social and post in this thread.... but everyone I met was super nice and made my interview days fun :)

2.) girl asks me where i've been accepted. at first i don't wanna say anything because i know no one in my interview group has gotten in anywhere else (don't want be a dbag), but she keeps asking since i don't say anything. so i finally tell her, quietly.

she then promptly brings up that fact in front of one of admissions officers like 20 minutes after the fact. the adcom looks at me for my response, and i go "well, i may have been accepted at [school], but i wouldn't be taking a day out of work and spending time here if i didn't want to go here. plus, i had a great time at [alma mater], so i imagine the med school is the same."

2) That's the definition of a gunner....wowow

That sound more like passive aggressive personality. I can't imagine her trying to pun a fellow interviewer like that would boil over well with the adcoms there.

Definitely lots of very pretty interviewees! One of them I met is a semi-regular SDNer (whose name I shall keep... secret).

Definitely lots of very pretty interviewees! One of them I met is a semi-regular SDNer (whose name I shall keep... secret).

pyrrion... i thought you were a chick? wtf

ikr?! and of all places, at my alma mater's med school -- which is notorious (or famous, i guess would be the better word here) for valuing teamwork and cooperation. :rolleyes:

i can understand why she did it though. she told me that this was her only interview, and she didn't have any more interviews coming up.

Members don't see this ad :)
just a pervy dude

tumblr_m0wb2xz9Yh1r08e3p.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Dude, at UCI interview day, I met an SDNer and I was like, "Hey, I am pyrrion89." He immediately blurted, "What?! I thought you were a hot chick." :rofl:

Anyway, sorry for the :hijacked:

Dude, at UCI interview day, I met an SDNer and I was like, "Hey, I am pyrrion89." He immediately blurted, "What?! I thought you were a hot chick." :rofl:

You have a very chick-ish vibe, holmes. Sigh... I never meet anyone from SDN. Then again, I'm a bit of a newbie and nobody would recognize the name anyways.

No annoying stories here, all the people I've met on the trail have been awesome and I'd be happy to be classmates with them. I just need an acceptance first so I can check them out...

:naughty:

Reactions: 1 users
No annoying stories here, all the people I've met on the trail have been awesome and I'd be happy to be classmates with them. I just need an acceptance first so I can check them out...

:naughty:

I'm not a religious guy so I won't be praying, but here's to you comrade.

images

I always assumed you were a dude. But then I swore you posted something about wearing heels and my mind was blown then as I thought that meant you were female. Now my mind is double blown. Anyway... still rooting for you at Yale. You're gonna make it.

Reactions: 2 users

I see that thread was made before every SDN attempt at mentioning relationships turned into some lengthy discussion of negging chicks and IOIs.

I see this thread was made before every SDN thread mentioning relationships turned into some lengthy discussion of negging chicks and IOIs.

you say that like it's a bad thing, bro.

I feel like making a "Any friendly fellow interviewee stories?"

I think about 85-90% of the people I met were great people. Even though people asked how many interviews everyone was offered, it was never said in a condescending way that I think some others may have encountered.

The only instances I can think of where I wanted to leave a room or fall asleep was when someone would treat me like an interviewer and tell me all about their research and their love of the sciences.

It felt pretty easy to tell who the gunners were based on their body language and profile. If they stared intensely at anything I said and looked like they were jotting notes down in their head about me I guessed they were a gunner. I hope to God most of these socially awkward gunner types get weeded out, but based on what I hear from friends that isn't exactly the case.

What a heady thread... too bad we don't have girls like that around here anymore! Or do we...? :pigeon:

The worst I've experience was at an unranked state school.

Interviewee to the group of 10: "Has anyone interviewed at Harvard? Got any tips? How was the school"

Group: *awkward silence* "Uh no???"

Interviewee: "Oh I was just curious because I have an interview there next week."
Are you serious? Did you make up this? Unbelievable experience!

at my state school interview, when we were going around saying where we were all from, one guy stated he went to "Columbia University in the City of New York." killed me.

please tell me this didn't happen at my school...

I think some people are missing the point. The hilarious part is not that they specified which Columbia. It's that they said "In the city of New York". Who says that?