Any unique cases/patients?

Started by star777
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

star777

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have any of you had or seen any unique cases or patients while working/volunteering/shadowing? I volunteer at the eye clinic at my school and most of the students we see come in for the same things (glasses/contacts, etc.). So I'm just wondering if any of you had any different or unique experiences working with/as an optometrist. Anything that stands out in your mind? Thanks!
 
star777 said:
Have any of you had or seen any unique cases or patients while working/volunteering/shadowing? I volunteer at the eye clinic at my school and most of the students we see come in for the same things (glasses/contacts, etc.). So I'm just wondering if any of you had any different or unique experiences working with/as an optometrist. Anything that stands out in your mind? Thanks!

I saw a couple interesting ones when I was job shadowing. One doctor saw a little girl who had eyelashes that grew on the inside of her lower eyelid and had to be plucked every 6 weeks or so or they would begin to scratch her eyes. That was a painful looking procedure but the girl was a trooper.

The other interresting one was a growth on the eye related to uv exposure I forgot the name of growth (I have it at home in the notes I took) but the doctor said it was nothing to worry about.
 
scalded said:
I saw a couple interesting ones when I was job shadowing. One doctor saw a little girl who had eyelashes that grew on the inside of her lower eyelid and had to be plucked every 6 weeks or so or they would begin to scratch her eyes. That was a painful looking procedure but the girl was a trooper.

soundsl like an "entropion" ... you could prescribe CL's to prevent the scratching from hurting, which also prevents corneal damage
 
drbizzaro said:
soundsl like an "entropion" ... you could prescribe CL's to prevent the scratching from hurting, which also prevents corneal damage

yeah the doctor talked with them about that.