Any URM non-trads in the Atlanta area? stop by and say hi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RN to MBA to MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!:)

It's been a while since i posted on sdn. I'm an African American female non-trad pre-med student currently residing in the Atlanta area. I'm 31, a nurse, just finished my MBA and MHA and currently taking pre-med courses to apply next cycle. My ultimate goal is to become physician then a CEO or Senior executive of a hospital/health service organization. I've been searching online for forums, networking/social groups, national organizations for URMs pre-med non-trads and none exist. I even tried searching on meet-up.com, no luck on there. It would be great to socialize with others like me going through the same medical school journey. If you are in the Atlanta area please introduce yourself. Also, if you know of any forums, organizations, groups etc for URM pre-med non-trads please share the link.

Also for the URM physicians in the Atlanta, are you aware of any networking events for pre-meds in the Atlanta. It would be great to attend a meet and greet networking event for pre-meds similar to the events organized by my graduate business school.

Have a blessed day everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

I'm a 27yrd old AA male. I'm in the Atlanta area as well and am gearing up for the upcoming cycle. This process is very overwhelming at times but I'm enjoying the experience. Please feel free to PM anytime if you have any questions or concerns about the application process. I may not know the answer right then and there but have a couple of friends that will be willing to help.

Awwww I wish I was in the Atlanta area you seem cool and I wish I had more AA pre-med buddies :) lol welcome though!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,

I'm a 27yrd old AA male. I'm in the Atlanta area as well and am gearing up for the upcoming cycle. This process is very overwhelming at times but I'm enjoying the experience. Please feel free to PM anytime if you have any questions or concerns about the application process. I may not know the answer right then and there but have a couple of friends that will be willing to help.

Thanks for responding. Congrats on your acceptance. I will definitely reach out to you with questions about the app process. I have another friend of mine who is also an A.A. non-trad, married mother of 1, applying next cycle in Georgia schools only. So i might have questions from her too. :)

As a non-trad, why did you decide to pursue medicine?

Awwww I wish I was in the Atlanta area you seem cool and I wish I had more AA pre-med buddies :) lol welcome though!!
I really wish we had more networking opportunities for URMs nationwide. Since they are less of us in medicine we can absolutely benefit from pre-med networking events and also events with URM physicians especially those in leadership positions. These professional events would offer a platform for information sharing about medical school and mentoring opportunities. Events like these may just inspire other young( traditional students) URMs to consider becoming a physician to increase the number of applicants to medical school. I had the opportunity to meet Hospital CEO's at various business networking events which inspired me to pursue my goal to become a CEO/Entrepreneur.

A good start will definitely be a meet-up group and reaching out to all the URM pre-med clubs at local colleges and universities. Hopefully this would expand nationally.It's just a thought:)

I know this thread is a bit dated, but I am a 25y/o female looking for the same type of meet-up opportunities. I'm currently doing an MBA /DIY post-bac (MBA for financial aid reasons... Shhh. Don't tell the peoples) but find it hard to connect with the traditional undergrads.

Anyone willing to connect, please (PLEASE!) feel free to PM me!! I feel so alone and lost in this whole process...