any videos that I can watch in my spare time to learn more about the field and industry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanadianGurl

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to become a beast in dental school—not in the grades department but more in the soft skills, knowledge, etc. department. I have two months off right now and can’t shadow or assist and I’d love to know if there’s a YouTube series or something that goes over the concepts of basic procedures. I’m not interested in “how to survive D1 or anything”, more along the lines of the concepts associated with common procedures, how to improve hand skills, considerations to make in clinic, etc. I want to watch one a night to keep me engaged during my two months off. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

There’s a super casual Introduction to Dental Medicine online “course” for free on Coursera and created by UPenn. It serves as a VERY basic outline of what to expect in terms of patient treatment! There is also a youtube user called “All Things Dentistry” that has tons of videos :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Nothing will improve your hand skills except practice. I know you want to be a beast but your best bet is to relax and enjoy these last few months. Any advantage you perceive to gain will quickly go away, and you’ll be on the same page as everyone else. Do yourself a favor and focus on your mental and emotional health before dental school, it will serve you much better.

I’m trying to become a beast in dental school—not in the grades department but more in the soft skills, knowledge, etc. department. I have two months off right now and can’t shadow or assist and I’d love to know if there’s a YouTube series or something that goes over the concepts of basic procedures. I’m not interested in “how to survive D1 or anything”, more along the lines of the concepts associated with common procedures, how to improve hand skills, considerations to make in clinic, etc. I want to watch one a night to keep me engaged during my two months off. Any suggestions?

There are some amazing dentists on Instagram who take pictures/videos as they do their procedures step by step, and then upload it. Just start searching for dentistry hashtags and there’s limitless options. Follow a few that interest you.

Restorative, taking impressions, packing cord - it’s super helpful. I personally think it’s way more helpful than shadowing since I can actually see what is going on here (unlike shadowing where I was straining just to see the end of the mirror).

Also, unrelated to the dentistry but def get some good stretches and back exercises down + a solid workout routine established.

Reactions: 1 user