Spare time in dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biofilm preventer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
While in dental school, is there spare time that you can afford such as watching netflix and relaxing/gym/biking etc.? Or is it non stop studying all day everyday?

Can someone chime in on what there schedule is like, especially the first year or 2 where its alot of courses being taught?

Members don't see this ad.

Decent amount of spare time for me while still being in the top 10 of my class. I worked out almost everyday after class. Spent a decent a mount of time on Youtube and watching Netflix. I'd personally take every Friday's night off and some weekends if there aren't any upcoming exams. Slept about 6-8 hours every night. It may take some time, but you must figure out effective ways to study in dental school. Just because this way worked in undergraduate, doesn't mean it would work in dental school. The sooner you figure it out, the better your life will be. It took me about a month to adjust but after that, it was all smooth sailing the first 2 years. Still ridiculous amount of materials though compared to undergraduate and of course there were days where I'd study all day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Every school is different so this would be better answered by upper class men from your accepted school. However in my case, I went to the gym every morning during first year. I needed that "ME" time because you can't have only school in your life or you'll lose it. I didn't watch any TV/netflix/hulu I felt that was a waste of my time (other classmates did watch it). As for second year, I gave up the gym time for study time. I had school and sleep. Some classmates gave up sleep to go to the gym.

The main thing to figure out is what works for you. I'm great in lab, but suck in didactic so I had to study longer than most people to get the same grades, but I hardly spent any time in the sim lab where others did. Once you get there you'll figure out what will work best for you, just make sure you find sometime to focus on other things.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
While in dental school, is there spare time that you can afford such as watching netflix and relaxing/gym/biking etc.? Or is it non stop studying all day everyday?

Can someone chime in on what there schedule is like, especially the first year or 2 where its alot of courses being taught?
The most important factor is whether your school is PASS/FAIL or not

It is entirely up to you how much spare time you can afford. Depending how your hand skills develop you might find yourself in the sim lab practicing more or less, studying more or less if you want to specialize or a particular class is difficult there are several factors. Ultimately the amount of time you will have for various activities entirely is up to you and what you are comfortable with. My advice would be to find friends who have similar goals in school because they will push you to study more when you don't want to (because it will happen),
For me I was not interested in specializing. I still wanted to do well, but I also wanted to have fun and enjoy my time which I can definitely say I did.

Realistically, if you are accepted to DS and you shadowed dental work, you should have some free time. Unfortunately there are many days you won't.
I went to DS in the mid to late 90's and I'll try to make it as relevant today as possible. There are 3 legs of work in DS...1) Class work in basic sciences and dental concepts, Basic sciences in DS were nothing like in undergrad and twice as intense. 2) lab/preclinic work. We had to our own lab work except ceramics and processing dentures and partial framework. 3) Patient care. We get 3 hrs to work on pts. Unfortunately I was slow in all 3 legs. If you want to specialize, you must have good class standing like top 10%. Of course DSs are different, but since they need to be accredited, they are all equally rigorous.

To get an idea what school work is like, my first year was mainly class work and some preclinic (not working on live pts). We had a lab technician classmate who aced all the preclinic lab...he could do it in his sleep. We had a mechanical engineer who aced all the books with little studying. He was also quick with lab. The sooner you finish lab work, the earlier you go home. Usually in the first year, the faculty will know who the top 10% will be. A lot of work are subjective and they will give the top more leniency. 2nd year was really intense with books. We get finals every 3 weeks. We started doing fillings on pts and I couldn't get my first pt numb for a lower filling. 3rd year was intense with all 3 legs. 4th yr had little book work (mostly electives) and more clinic time to complete graduation requirements. We had to cement 4 bridges (I had to do 5 because my 4th skipped town with a temp bridge), 4 partial dentures, 4 complete dentures, about 30 to 35 crown units (including bridge units), ~80 to 100 class 2 & 3 fillings, 28 RCT canals, Pedos with pulps and SSCs, 8 quads of perio SRP. We had to do phased work like articulated study models, perio first, then fillings & RCT, then crowns, then partials, etc so many times you have to do extra work to get to the crown or partials stage. It was the worst 4 yrs and I still have nightmares.

My sister graduated 11 yrs after and she only had to do 1/3 of the pt requirements. She said many weren't able to complete requirements because there weren't enough pts. I always tell pts who cannot afford a crown or other work to go to the DS. I'm not sure what DS graduation requirements are now.

Last edited:
I'm pretty good at gauging how long didactic study time will take, and can build schedules with a decent amount down time. Labs can be a lot more unpredictable, and I've definitely had several plans torpedoed by a rogue lab project.

I think spare time is also highly dependent on what grades you're gunning for. I personally value balance and if that means the occasional non-A grade, so be it. I don't do work on Friday's after class, I work out 3-4x mornings a week, and I give myself at least an hour every night to unwind. Of course, sometimes there's a big exam or something like that and things get moved around a little, but overall I keep my life pretty chill.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
i just dont see how it can be possible to have spare time while taking 25+ credits a semester along with labs

i just dont see how it can be possible to have spare time while taking 25+ credits a semester along with labs
Lots of time, except right before midterms and finals in my experience. The reasons why you will ultimately have extra time is 1) dental school is streamlined so 25+ credits is managable and 2) you quickly adapt and become efficient at studying, doing assignments, and clinical work to keep up with the work flow.

Reactions: 3 users
I think you are worrying too much just because you are about to start. Humans are capable of adapting. What you thought would be impossible, people make it happen. When you are thrown in the situation, you will adapt and accommodate your time around it.

Reactions: 6 users

For school work, try to get some basic science Board review materials. You'll need it later anyways. Say that you are in Biochem and the instructor has monotone voice after lunch. You go home to study the Krebs Cycle and have no clue. Bam, you have the shortened version of it. Try to shadow lab technicians with crowns and dentures. They will appreciate your interest and give you lots of pointers. Hopefully upperclassmen will give you pointers to cruise thru clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Budgeting some "spare time" to do something you love is an important tool to keep yourself balanced in the crazy world of dental school.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm just starting D3 and I've found that I am progressively having more and more free time. I think that is a combination of several things - a general grasp on the concepts and skills, decreased coursework/busywork, less worrying about getting excellent grades, transition away from conceptual.

There were always a few weeks each quarter that felt like I never had time for anything, but you'll get through it and have plenty of time to do things you like.

Since dental school started, I've restored/rebuilt 1 truck, 2 motorcycles, and 3 jet skis. If you want to find time to do things, you can.

I'm just starting D3 and I've found that I am progressively having more and more free time. I think that is a combination of several things - a general grasp on the concepts and skills, decreased coursework/busywork, less worrying about getting excellent grades, transition away from conceptual.

There were always a few weeks each quarter that felt like I never had time for anything, but you'll get through it and have plenty of time to do things you like.

Since dental school started, I've restored/rebuilt 1 truck, 2 motorcycles, and 3 jet skis. If you want to find time to do things, you can.

Knewstance
I think your my kind of guy.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on the year and the school you attend. Also, like college there are “test periods” that collide with lab project due dates which make personal free time less likely. My schools 2nd year is considered the worst but my classmates and I still had time to eat out together and hangout. The time flies during those crunch periods so I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

What school are you going to? That'll help to answer this question. Every school is structured differently and thus amount of free time is different. Generally speaking, if you want free time to go to the gym or to do something else, you'll make time when you can

If you want to specialize and worry about the additional debt for specializing, you should spend as much time to study as possible. If you still have spare time, use it to do things that a lot of your classmates are not willing to do such as research, OS externship, studying for GRE/ADAT/CBSE, getting into leadership position in school/church, and other extra-curricular activities. People got accepted to cheap specialty programs or specialty programs that pay them not because of luck but because of hard work and sacrifices.

Last edited:

D2 year I was studying for classes or working on my lab projects basically 24/7. I had to give up on going to the gym and also on my dating life. D4 year was chill. D1 and D3 years were about the same. I was significantly busier all four years compared to undergrad. YMMV.

It will become your new normal. At first it sucks. And then after awhile it still sucks but you get used to it sucking so it sucks less. My friends and I go out to bars every few Fridays depending on exam schedules. I attend a ranked school and am ranked pretty high as of now. During the week its pretty much study all day for me though and Saturdays and Sundays as well.

Oh you’ll have time alright. Here’s a list to get you started for D1: 3 bottles of red, 3 bottles of white, a 5th of vodka, a 5th of rum, 3 cases of high quality beer, a nice set of glassware.

It depends on the school too. Mine is P/F, integrated with the med school with basic science block exams every 10 weeks and dental exams interspersed between. Overall, the first 5-6 weeks of each block are pretty chill - I have time to workout 4 days a week, hang with friends and play plenty of video games, even during the week. This is followed up by 3-4 weeks of 14 hour study days and pure agony. Only a rising 2nd year right now though, so we'll see how it changes

It's a trade off.

It depends on the school too. Mine is P/F, integrated with the med school with basic science block exams every 10 weeks and dental exams interspersed between. Overall, the first 5-6 weeks of each block are pretty chill - I have time to workout 4 days a week, hang with friends and play plenty of video games, even during the week. This is followed up by 3-4 weeks of 14 hour study days and pure agony. Only a rising 2nd year right now though, so we'll see how it changes

It's a trade off.
Oh boy it’s about to ramp up 2nd year

there's time to party twice a week if you really wanna know

In the mid 90's we had about 55 in my class with about 5 dropped out and gained 8 from prev class. Immediately we gravitated toward the distinct groups we identified with. We had the gunners in which our #1 guy would recite the protein catabolic pathways and inflammatory cascades to patients. We had the jocks who established our intramural competitions, the partiers, the Mormons and the older students with families. The Mormons were usually the older gunners with families while the jocks mixed with the partiers. There was a gold mine of a bar which on Thurs had penny beers and $5 cover. I think a new group of Gamers and Youtubers may be more prevalent now. It's hard to gauge the amount of work based on which school you go since all the DS in the US must be accredited. I think who you identify yourself with will determine how much and what you do with your free time.

In the mid 90's we had about 55 in my class with about 5 dropped out and gained 8 from prev class. Immediately we gravitated toward the distinct groups we identified with. We had the gunners in which our #1 guy would recite the protein catabolic pathways and inflammatory cascades to patients. We had the jocks who established our intramural competitions, the partiers, the Mormons and the older students with families. The Mormons were usually the older gunners with families while the jocks mixed with the partiers. There was a gold mine of a bar which on Thurs had penny beers and $5 cover. I think a new group of Gamers and Youtubers may be more prevalent now. It's hard to gauge the amount of work based on which school you go since all the DS in the US must be accredited. I think who you identify yourself with will determine how much and what you do with your free time.
So which group were you in? Haha

So which group were you in? Haha

I was only a marginal JV/lower tier HS varsity level athlete so I helped contribute to intramurals. We had a College golfer, 2 soccer guys, and some HS track and football stars. Nobody could pass on my locked down receiver though. I'm not much of a drinker so I didn't get my money's worth at the beer buffet. The gunners didn't accept me so I was a pseudo-Jock/Nobody. Back in the mid 90s, we didn't have internet so no hardcore Gamers or Hackers. I envisioned more cliques now.

Matched into OMFS, while having two kids and going to disneyland at least once a week. There is plenty of time and i felt like we were pretty busy at my school.

Matched into OMFS, while having two kids and going to disneyland at least once a week. There is plenty of time and i felt like we were pretty busy at my school.
Were your kids jealous you went to Disneyland that often without them? ;p

What does your typical day look like though? Can’t you elaborate more on what having kids during dental school looks like?

Were your kids jealous you went to Disneyland that often without them? ;p

What does your typical day look like though? Can’t you elaborate more on what having kids during dental school looks like?

Sure!
Also I commuted an hour each way so you just bought yourself 10 more hours of netflix and youtube.

The first two years largely depends on your school. Some classes may not start till later you will probably have breaks maybe a day off who knows. Lets just call it an 8-5 day to include any practice for lab classes in free time.

I would wake at 5:30 am and workout. Leave home at 6:45 get to school at 8am. Be home at 6pm and play with my kids (or just 1 for the first years) have dinner etc. be settled down by 8:30 pm and study for any quizzes the next day while watching Tv with my wife. Asleep by 10:30ish.

Some days I would be home earlier and have more time. Weekends left me with two whole days to have fun and I usually study at night-after my kids are asleep.

Last two years are pretty similar, replace study time with lab work.

Studying for the CBSE for OMFS was trickier and I lost a lot of sleep but as you can see I had a lot of lost time for personal reasons.

If you arent trying to be a gunner like me? You can get away with very little studying. There is usually down time every day you can use for lab work and studying too.

some programs im sure are busier but from my experience there is usually a lot more free time than I laid out here.