Anybody gone through the DODMERB waiver process? Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drcarter77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my disqualified status from DODMERB. It wasn't a surprise for me and I knew from the beginning that I would have to go through the waiver process. But now I'm actually there and was wondering if anybody had successfully gone through the process on SDN and could give me any insight.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have traversed the process twice. In high school, I failed my physical as I had a ACL reconstruction w/ meniscal damage as a junior in high school (football injury). I was unable to get this waived and was therefore rejected from the service academies.

After college, I again failed my initial DODMERB but was able to submit opinion of an orthopedist that my knee was fine and this condition was waived allowing me to attend USUHS.

So the same injury resulted in two different results. The process for HPSP/USUHS seems much less stringent than it was when I was applying for the service academies. My advice would be to get a letter/2nd opinion regarding your condition stating that it is not limiting etc. Of course, this depends on the nature of your disqualifying condition. Good luck.

So the same injury resulted in two different results. The process for HPSP/USUHS seems much less stringent than it was when I was applying for the service academies.

The waiver authorities for USUHS/HPSP are different than those for the service academies and therefore you can get different results. One can also get different results between the different service academies because each service academy has its own waiver authority.

As the above poster noted the most important thing to do is to show that whatever condition you were DQ'd for does not effect your ability to perform duties. The best way to do this is to get an updated exam from the physician who diagnosed the DQ condition and get them to write (if true) that the condition has not effected your performance in the past and won't in the future. You can also write a letter detailing your experiences with the condition and how you are still able to do X, Y, and Z. If your DQ is based on the use of some sorts of medicine (ADHD for example) then you will need to stop use of the medicine and show that you can still perform at the same level.

Members don't see this ad :)
As the above poster noted the most important thing to do is to show that whatever condition you were DQ'd for does not effect your ability to perform duties. The best way to do this is to get an updated exam from the physician who diagnosed the DQ condition and get them to write (if true) that the condition has not effected your performance in the past and won't in the future. You can also write a letter detailing your experiences with the condition and how you are still able to do X, Y, and Z. If your DQ is based on the use of some sorts of medicine (ADHD for example) then you will need to stop use of the medicine and show that you can still perform at the same level.
Good advice. I was DQ'd pre-physical for a history of heartburn I admitted to. I did pretty much what backrow suggested above and the recruiter then had to file for a waiver (took about 3 or 4 weeks). Once I had the waiver, I was able to do the physical, where I was DQ'd again for the same condition (the waiver is so that you can do the physical, prove that you have nothing else wrong THEN be DQ'd for the original condition). The recruiter then has to file another waiver recommending you for service. This apparently takes another 4-6 weeks. Once that is done, you're good to go.

I just went through this process for USUHS to have my history of asthma waived. I had problems till 17, but have been off my medication for 6 years. I had the doctor who treated me write a letter stating that it was no longer present and that it would not be exacerbated by military service. I then also wrote a personnel letter stating what I have done in the time of my medication. It worked for me with USUHS. All the above posters are right on. The more information you can provide to prove that your condition is not a problem, the better. Just be patient, it is a long process, but totally worth it when it work out.

I just went through this process for USUHS to have my history of asthma waived. I had problems till 17, but have been off my medication for 6 years. I had the doctor who treated me write a letter stating that it was no longer present and that it would not be exacerbated by military service. I then also wrote a personnel letter stating what I have done in the time of my medication. It worked for me with USUHS. All the above posters are right on. The more information you can provide to prove that your condition is not a problem, the better. Just be patient, it is a long process, but totally worth it when it work out.

Do you mind if I ask how long they took to respond (or at least acknowledge receipt of the information)? I am trying to rebut DoDMERB's findings and sent them a letter with test results, etc. 3+ weeks ago and they don't show any indication that they received it or are processing it on my DoDMERB status page. Thanks and congrats on the waiver.

I just received my disqualified status from DODMERB. It wasn't a surprise for me and I knew from the beginning that I would have to go through the waiver process. But now I'm actually there and was wondering if anybody had successfully gone through the process on SDN and could give me any insight.

Thanks

Surely. I just received my waiver and am now cleared to attend USUHS next fall (09'). Back in the summer I was still considering HPSP so my recruiter got papers going and because I was too "honest" and put down something on my med history, I got disqualified and needed a waiver. So after contacting a Navy Allergist at Bethesda, I was able to be evaluated, which was then used in my waiver packet request during the DODMERB wavier request process. All in all it took 1.5-2 months to get my waiver for USUHS. Had I not seen that doctor, it surely would have taken longer.

Most importantly, depending on the severity of your condition it may take a long time and require evaluation or it may not.

Best of luck and patience to you (I know it can be frustrating waiting)