SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Anybody having any idea?

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by patata, May 9, 2007.

1. patata

patata Its been some time here ! 10+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2005
    USA
    Hello friends,

Does anyone have any idea how the universities are going to decide upon which scores to give prefrence to, like the new format or the old format ones. I haven't heard of anyone till now crossing 91 on new pattern ( i don know exam has gone hard or score conversion pattern has changed ). I have my exam in about 3 weeks and now i just can't remove this thought from back of my mind like if i get a score of around 85 on new pattern and pitted against 89 of old pattern then what?

One thing more how much does experience count like i did a job for about 5 months in a private dental clinic after completion of my degree. Does this helps in any way?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Axis

Axis New Member 5+ Year Member

Jul 28, 2006
    INFORMATION FOR INTERPRETING SCORES

National Board results are reported in standard scores so that scores from different editions of the same examination may he compared. Because different editions may vary in difficulty, comparisons based on number of correct answers would be subject to error.

The standard score system used for the National Board Dental Examinations compares each candidate's performance with the performance of a well defined reference group. This reference group consists of all candidates who are enrolled in dental schools with approval accreditation status and who are being examined for the first time. The score of 75 is used by the Joint Commission to reflect the minimum passing score on an examination.

So, guys, I don't understand why are you so worried about this. I am sure, that ADA has made every effort that the "old" scores and the "new" ones could be compared.

By the way:
    Two factors affect a candidate's score: the number of correct answers selected by the candidate and the score scale conversion for the examination.

The exam didn't become harder, the questions are of the same difficulty (read the pilot 2004 version of the exam + read the threads about the relevance of the old questions).

So, don't worry!

Good luck!

4. patata

Nov 4, 2005
    USA
    But what do you make out of this
    New pattern exam
    The raw score was
    anat-75
    physio bichem- 76
    micro bio-80
    DA DH- 80

and the final result- 87

And What about the experience thing?

5. Axis

Jul 28, 2006
    Of course your experience is a plus to the application, but the NBDE p.1 score is the most important factor.

According to the following official table 18,5 per cent of the reference group is expected to score in the 87-89 range of National Board scores on a given examination.

[​IMG]

6. patata

Nov 4, 2005
    USA
    thats not the concern how many percent, its like according to score conversion chart of 98 it goes beyond 90 and score is just 87. thats what is bothering?

7. Axis

Jul 28, 2006
    You can't use the 1998 conversion chart, it's a big mistake interpreting current raw scores with it!!! Maybe that year the questions were REALLY TOUGH for the reference group, and to get 90+ it was sufficient to answer 40/100 questions correctly. Got the point?

Once more:

Because different editions may vary in difficulty, comparisons based on number of correct answers would be subject to error.

So, guys, don't worry! Work hard and do your best on the exam day.

Good luck!

8. patata

Nov 4, 2005
    USA
    Thanks Axis

9. starrynight

starrynight 2+ Year Member

May 4, 2007
    dental experience of every kind matters; it's good that you worked it's even better to volunteer; the message is that you are interested in dentistry even without a material purpose;
    good luck!