Anybody in The Atlantic Bridge Program???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med-Student2B

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to the Atlantic Bridge Program, but have so many questions being that I've never been to Ireland. I'm a US student by the way!

I am 26 years old now, and by the time I would go (if accepted!) I would have turned 27. Yes yes, I'm one of those that had the "calling" a little later than most, which is okay. I am just concerned that there won't be many other my age for me to connect with.

I would love to hear from students at all four schools!!! :)

Also - about residency in New York. Has anyone done it from Ireland? If so, what steps did you take and where did you do the residency?

How does an Irish Medical Degree effect chances of residecy placement in New York?

I am definately looking forward to some med-talk with you guys. I have a ton of questions buzzing around in my mind, but it's a little hard to get a feel for what goes on in other countries while I'm sitting here in New York!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really answer the residency stuff but depending on what specialty you want to enter, getting a residency in NY should be do-able. Irish medical qualifications are held in high regard, particularly on the East Coast. Good USMLE scores are everything!

As for the age thing, you definitely won't be the oldest! You'll be above the average but your class is what you make of it. The Americans who settle in the best try to adapt to "Irish life" as opposed to just being an American living in Dublin. Ireland is not the USA and things are done differently here (whether that be for the better or for the worse!). If you come to Trinity, there's a vibrant and unique student experience in the College and you should make the most of it...there's everything from fencing clubs, to prestigious debating societies dating back 100s of years. If you haven't been to Ireland before, you should come visit before you make any final decisions.

There are pros and cons to studying in Ireland. Read some of the recent threads and I'm sure some of the other regulars will post about them.

Good luck with you application :)

Hey, good luck applying. There are dozens of ABP and Ireland posts in this forum so just read back a bit and get some back ground and then post any other questions you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't have a whole lot of time to post right now, but i can tell you that I know of 3 people in Buffalo that are working/practicing who came from Irish schools. One is an OB/GYN (UCD), one is a very good and well-respected renal doc (Trinity), and one is currently a Peds resident (UCD).

So yes, you can definitely end up in NY coming from Ireland.

I actually contacted the above people when i was applying through Atlantic Bridge to talk them about Ireland. All spoke very highly of their time there and education.

Although I am still here in the US, I can say that I was accepted and very excited about studying med in Ireland... unfortunately, some financial issues and other "practicality" reasons kept me in the US (I am currently a 2nd year at a SUNY school= much cheaper!!!). Basically, had it not been for my financial situation, I would have picked Ireland over my US acceptances. I am happy with my decision, but there is always a part of me that wonders what if...

My motivation for wanting to go to Ireland was that I have always wanted to live in another country and immerse myself in another culture, not that I had no acceptances in the states, etc. I think it would be very hard to have gone there if I wasn't also motivated by things other than medical school (cultural experience, guiness :), etc.) My point is that going to Ireland may not be for everyone (refer to some of Student.ie's posts). As Trinners said, I would definitely visit Ireland if you haven't to make sure that this is a place/option that you can be happy with for 5 years. Good luck.

Wow, I really started rambling there... guess I had a little more time to post than I thought.

Haha - I guess you had something to say!

Thank you all for the responses. I too am interested in changing my cultural exposure. Who's to say I have to be confined to the "American" life. I wanna see what else is out there, even if it's just for a breather.

Could any of you tell me a little more about:

a - your backgrounds (i.e. how far you are in the process, where you're from, what you plan on doing, etc.)

b - a little more specifics on the age spectrum of the student body at your Irish med schools? I'm concerned I'll be surrounded by teenagers, which is fine, but connecting with people my own age (26) is really important to me. Is it likely??

a) Attended Case Western Reserve Univ. for undergrad, triple-majored in Biology, Psychology and Classics. Did a Junior Year Abroad at Trinity, absolutely loved it - loved the friends I made, talked to some meds and thought the curriculum was good, and loved the fact that I'd have time to continue rowing (one of the most time-demanding sports out there) seriously. Didn't even apply to US schools, applied to Trinity, RCSI and Univ. of Melbourne (my sister's in Melbourne).

b) in my class, most Americans aren't straight out of college (22). Some have done masters and some have just worked at other things. The oldest in my class is now 33, general age seems to be around 27. Does it cause problems being with the Irish who are generally 21 (I'm in 4th year)? Absolutely not. Now, my and Trinner's class is pretty close, but really, it doesn't cause problems. In the year below ours, several of the Canadians are 27-29. Don't let age hang you up, there's no problem with it.

It's nice to know that there will be others my age though. I don't know about you guys, but being a foreign country by myself I'll feel like a fish out of water, atleast until I adjust.

Those of you already in Ireland - what extracirricular activities are you doing?

I always thought med school would take up every minute of your life. Seems that way in American schools atleast. Is it different in Ireland?

Hehe, you would feel a little isolated at first, but joining clubs and societies is a great way of meeting people, especially Irish people. What ends up happening is usually the American/Canadian students will all band together for the first few weeks just because you're in the same situation, and then you start branching once you meet others say...in Anatomy lab groups or things like that.

Extracurriculars: rowing (about 20 hrs/wk) + committee stuff & web-editing, SDN modding, working for Trinity's student medical journal (not all year), tutoring for AOL (not too time intensive), sports admin committee (not time intensive), research during the summer. When I was in 2nd year, I also played rugby.
- so yeah. the time curriculum in Ireland is a little bit more relaxed.

Med-Student2B said:
Those of you already in Ireland - what extracirricular activities are you doing?
I kept up north American sports - volleyball, basketball, and martial arts. Not just all NA people in vball or bball either. Basketball is picking up in this country and I'm the only non-Irish who made the team. Vball is a mix of every country.

Does anybody know how competitive the Atlantic Bridge Program is? What kind of student profiles generally get accepted?

If you do other searches you'll see that what they quote is generally 1 acceptance for every 10 applicants. It may be on the rise. Hard to say what kind of students they accept. On the AB Application, there's a separate section for research experiences so they might like to see research. On the whole, from the North American students they seem to like well-rounded applicants who haven't exactly followed the typical premed path and have done something a little bit different. But I guess everywhere likes uniqueness.

Regarding the research experience- I believe Leorl is correct that the Irish schools like to see some research experience, but I would not worry if you don't have any. I had absolutely none when I applied and it was not a problem. So, I am sure it definitely helps but don't stress about it.

Leorl, i am just curious, is Trinity now a 5 year program regardless of your degree. I know a couple years ago that if you didn't have a science degree that you would most likely be placed in the 6 year program, but someone mentioned that that had changed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Supposedly it's meant to come in for next year's class, although there isn't hard confirmation. They have been restructuring the course for awhile (using us as guinea pigs) so it's a little hard to find exact consistency because each year has had something changed. But yeah, the idea is that Trinity's course will change to a 5-year degree regardless of whether you've done a previous science degree or not. They've been trying to cut out some of the inefficiency in usage of time to facilitate this and restructure the course so that resources/time are best used (supposedly). They are also meant to be bringing in medicine as a 4-yr. postgrad degree, so that could be another option available in the near future. Rumor has it 2007, but that's probably optimistic.

leorl - you are currently at Trinity, correct?

Mind a few questions about student life?

1 - What's do you like most about being there?

2 - What do you like least about being there?

3 - What do you hope to do after you graduate? i.e. location, specialty, etc.

4 - What year are you, and about how many hours a day do you put into studying?

5 - Have you taken the USMLE yet?

6 - You are from the US correct? Where?

Okay - the game of 20 questions stops at 6! ;)

1 - What's do you like most about being there?
The people, and the fact that I have time for some really time-intensive extracurriculars. Also, the staff are quite supportive and some (especially Anatomy) are really into teaching and have no problem meeting student requests (extra tutorials, etc.) You really get to know them on a personal level. Also, my class is great - everyone wants each other to do well so there's lots of sharing/emailing of notes, resources people find, study groups, etc. There's a real sense of comraderie among medical students in all years and the faculty.

2 - What do you like least about being there? The nature of Ireland is paper-pushing inefficiency. There's a phrase here "That's so Irish." It means that a whole lot of work went into nothing and the final product wasn't worth all the effort, or it's faulty. That can apply at a college level too. It can be frustrating when consultants/lecturers don't show up (this happens more during the clinical years because the lecturers are also busy physicians). Things being changed (exam dates) without people realizing about it and then having to kick up a massive fuss in order to get it changed back to what it was supposed to be in the first place. Not knowing when exam dates are for certain, not knowing a lot of things (clinical rotation placement) for certain and sometimes you find out The DAY before. But if you learn not to get too frustrated you realize that these are things you can easily deal with and they're not really life/career threathing, although they're annoying and nearly cause temporary wars :).

3 - What do you hope to do after you graduate? i.e. location, specialty, etc.
I'm not sure yet. Eventually I think I want to end up in sports medicine, so whatever path can get me there (physiatry, ER, orthopedic surgery (yeah right!), gen surgery). I'm not really sure yet because I haven't done rotations in these things except gen surgery. Not sure about location yet. I think I want to end up back in the US eventually, so should do residency in the US. However, wouldn't mind staying in Europe/UK for awhile...especially in intern/junior doctor stages when you can earn more money over here. So to answer your question, not quite sure yet.

4 - What year are you, and about how many hours a day do you put into studying? I'm 4th year (ie this is my 3rd year here). I am NOT the paragon of medical student excellence, so maybe you shouldn't be asking me :). I spend more time training for my sports stuff than I do studying, which was grand my 1st year, but gave me a little trouble last year :). It can vary from 0 hours a day to like 20 (cramming). On average, maybe I'd say 3 hours per day, keeping in mind that there are some 0 days and possibly more time put in on the weekends (unless there's an event on).

5 - Have you taken the USMLE yet? No. Plan to this summer. You want to take the USMLE after you've done pathology.

6 - You are from the US correct? Where? I'm from Cincinnati. Went to Case Western Reserve Univ. (Cleveland) for undergrad.

Wow - thanks loerl. That was quite an answer! =)

I think sports medicine is a great field. Good money, and interesting work.

I wish you the best of luck on your USMLE, and everything else!

hope it helped. I'm sure anyone here would be more than willing to answer your questions. I'm saying sports med cuz I've always gravitated towards exercise physiology stuff (in course work and research) and cuz I'm a jock. Also really interested in things that are more hands on. The problem is that I wouldn't get very much exposure here or in a strictly clinical situation because those fields tend to be more fellowship-y and a higher specialization. So it's funny...even though you're in a rather set and certain career path, there are a lot of uncertainties !

Yes - I am learning that more and more as I research my medical school options, and I haven't even REALLY begun! Like I always say: "Nothing is simple... nothing!"

I can certainly see that you love sports. And yes, the field would be "hands-on" as you say. Interestingly, have yet to meet a Sports Medicine Doctor. You will be ideally working with people who are in tip-top shape treating injusries the average Joe Shmoe will most likely not incur. Quite a rarity. Sounds like fun! Best of luck!

I'm 24, but I'll be 25 in January. I'm applying to the Atlantic Bridge Program. I'm so excited. I'm applying to med school in the US too, as I'm from South Carolina, but the Irish schools, especially Trinity and the Royal College are my first choices. It's too bad they don't start looking at North Americans until January. I feel like I've been waiting forever for my first choices to actually read my application. Keep in touch. It would be great to get to know you a little more before we both go to Ireland (if we both go to Ireland).

Hi, I applied to all 4 schools. I have an interview with RCSI in Feb. I was wondering when we will hear back from all 4 schools? Thanks. I hate playing this waiting game. It's nerve wrecking. :eek:

I have also been given an interview with RCSI. is there a weeding out process becore the interview, or do they interview almost everyone? Does anyone know anything? I agree with Clover: i'm tired of this waiting game

I spoke to the ABP RCSI director, and he said that not everyone who applies is interviewed. So if you get an interview, I am going to assume that you are one step closer to getting in.

cloverlead said:
I spoke to the ABP RCSI director, and he said that not everyone who applies is interviewed. So if you get an interview, I am going to assume that you are one step closer to getting in.
If RCSI wants to interview you you're pretty much accepted. Congratulations! Just make sure you go into the interview with two things:

a) a strong plan on how you're going to pay their tuition. They really want to make sure you can pay their high tuition for the next 5 years. If your parents make a lot of money then you're set. They specifically ask about this.

b) a positive, outgoing attitude. They want to make sure you'll fit in in Ireland and not just be a recluse in your room.

If you do both of those you're locked and loaded! I'd still recommend you go to Trinity, UCD, UCC, or UCG though instead. Just because they are proper Irish schools. The Irish here seem to see RCSI as a way to buy yourself into medicine if you can't hack it at another school. That's why I turned them down.

I don't think that's the case at all. RCSI is very well-respected and is known for having very up-to-date equipment and a more efficient system/bureacracy. Just keep in mind, it is quite a lot more expensive than any of the other schools. Also keep in mind that it is strictly a health sciences school, so doesn't have the diversity of other larger universities. Choosing RCSI would just be a matter of personal preference.

femina7 said:
It's too bad they don't start looking at North Americans until January. I feel like I've been waiting forever...

I haven't checked out the Irish threads in a LONG time. I thought seriously about going there (i had initially decided Israel, Ireland, England, or Australia) and didn't apply only because i'd be in school in Australia before i'd even hear back from Ireland (or the others, for that matter).

Anywho, it's funny to see Leorl's list of what she likes most & least, and her study habits -- pretty much identical to what i'm finding in Brisbane. Tho australians are already too self-conscious to tag some of their inefficiency quirks with "That's so Australian" !

btw i keep coming across trolls -- some here, but more at ValueMD -- who claim only ppl who can't hack the US go overseas...i'll send some over here when they don't believe me ;)

-pitman

Sage880 said:
If RCSI wants to interview you you're pretty much accepted. Congratulations! Just make sure you go into the interview with two things:

a) a strong plan on how you're going to pay their tuition. They really want to make sure you can pay their high tuition for the next 5 years. If your parents make a lot of money then you're set. They specifically ask about this.

b) a positive, outgoing attitude. They want to make sure you'll fit in in Ireland and not just be a recluse in your room.

If you do both of those you're locked and loaded! I'd still recommend you go to Trinity, UCD, UCC, or UCG though instead. Just because they are proper Irish schools. The Irish here seem to see RCSI as a way to buy yourself into medicine if you can't hack it at another school. That's why I turned them down.[/QUOTE

So, if we have not heard anything then we might assume that a rejection letter might be on the way from RCSI or do they do interviews in waves.

They do 2 rounds of interviews. At least that's what happened when i was an applicant.

Pitman, DON'T YOU DARE send anyone from ValueMD over here! We have enough problems to sort out, thank you! :)

I spoke to Peter Nealon, director of something at the ABP and he said that Friday, 13th of Jan is the last day that they are emailing people abt the interviews. Good luck!

What are the two rounds of interviews for? What's the first round/ and the second round?

leorl said:
Pitman, DON'T YOU DARE send anyone from ValueMD over here! We have enough problems to sort out, thank you! :)

Darnit! I wanted to pawn them off onto someone else. Oh well, i'll just have to beat up those bullies over there all by myself :p

Can anybody tell me what month your interviews are scheduled.

I was informed that RCSI would be conducting interviews in June in Boston or New York.

For those of you selected for the interview, have you written the MCAT yet?

Hey all,

I am wondering how long it takes to fill out this app and have it completed to be competitive for this cycle.

Also, what is the web site?
Thanks much,
sean

I got an interview and i wrote my MCAT

My interview is February in San Francisco

so i dunno about the whole New York thing

The deadline for this cycle was Nov of 2004. The intereviews are held in diff countries and diff parts of the countires at diff times. Its on the interview schedule of RCSI posted ont heir webste.

oh yes i have written my mcat too.

i applied to the atlantic bridge program straight out of high school. Im 18 right now currently attending RCSI. The interview was cake, just dont screw up on the money question. Youll probably get in becuase i had a pretty low gpa and sat score in high school adn they still took me. Im in the 6yr prog btw, but if u did 4 years of college , youll go into the 5. I like RCSI alot more than trinity and ucd due to they baby you a lot by giving you a computer, and making every teacher put up the notes on the internet a day before the lecture, so i usually just have to print them out and goto class and listen rather than writing them down all quick in my sloppy writing.the teachers are great. UCD was obviously my first choice due to the price, but i got rejected from there...they wont baby you as much from what i hear.

leorl said:
They do 2 rounds of interviews. At least that's what happened when i was an applicant.

I emailed AB and was told that since there were such a large number of applicants, there were going to be two rounds of interviews and just because you didn't get an interview in this round (like me:( ) it doesn't mean that you have been rejected. So, I was wondering how they decide who gets called to interview in feb and who gets interviews in june. Does team "B" applicants get called for the second round?

wait..so they interview people in two batches despite the nov deadline??? Why don't they do it all at once? If they have to fly over, they might as well get everyone in at one go! Aikes..I really dont want to have to wait till June to find out. SOrry Eos, but my interview is in Feb, and that is killing me already. Anticipating interviews is the most nerve wrecking ever, well at least they are for me. I just want to know, the sooner the better. So when should we expect to hear back from them?

I am planning to write the MCAT in April. I have applied to the 4 schools via the ABP. When I got a confirmation of receiving my application from ABP, they stated that if I am selected for an interview, it would be in Boston or New York of June 2005.

It could be possible that those who have not wrote the MCAT must wait until June 2005 for an interview. Who knows!!!
I am from Toronto, so I guess they mentioned Boston or New York because those are the locations closest to me.

no thats not true i didn't write the mcat and i got an offer 3 days ago

That can't be true. the RCSI requires you to have written the MCAT

capricorn, are you right out of high school applying to the 6 year? maybe if you are applying to the 6 year, they dont require the mcat?

yes i'm doing my third year undergrad and i have not written the MCAT yet and yes most probably i will be admitted to the 6 year program. RCSI and UCD do not require the MCAT's for the 6 year program...

For the 5 year program, RCSI does require the MCAT. The latest you can write it for fall 2005 admission is in April 2005.

I was also informed from the ABP that Trinity College and UCD do not require the MCAT and that UCC may take the MCAT into consideration before a decision is made.

GaryM said:
For the 5 year program, RCSI does require the MCAT. The latest you can write it for fall 2005 admission is in April 2005.

I was also informed from the ABP that Trinity College and UCD do not require the MCAT and that UCC may take the MCAT into consideration before a decision is made.
UCC requires the MCAT and UCD will take it into consideration if you have taken it. At least that's how it used to be. Maybe they changed it this year?

The e-mail that I received from the ABP mentioned that UCC may look at the MCAT results, RCSI will look at the MCAT results. For Trinity and UCD, no mention was made of them looking at the MCAT results.
In general though, ABP wanted me to forward my April MCAT results as soon as I get them.

Does anyone know the average GPA and MCAT for matriculants of the Atlantic Bridge program?

Thanks,
se

As far as I can tell there is a huge range in gpa's and mcat scores that apply through AB (obviously that is not of too much help). From reading the other threads though it looks like the range might be around 2.8-3.7 (gpa) and around 20-30 for the mcat.

Wandaa said:
As far as I can tell there is a huge range in gpa's and mcat scores that apply through AB (obviously that is not of too much help). From reading the other threads though it looks like the range might be around 2.8-3.7 (gpa) and around 20-30 for the mcat.
I haven't heard of anyone with an MCAT under 30 at UCC. But I guess there might be some people keeping quiet or lying about it. From the small sample of Canadians and Americans who were talking about it one day the range was 31-36. No one talked about GPA but my GPA was absolutely embarrassing and I got into almost all the schools (minus Trinity) with just a strong MCAT. I had no science GPA but my Engineering GPA was not that far over passing!

Thank god they look at the MCAT.