Anybody in The Atlantic Bridge Program???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody know what the difference is between the November and February deadline? I just recently started looking into the Irish schools and received an an application from Louis Keenan at ABP that's due 2/15/05. Would I still have a chance for Fall 2005?

Also, there is more emphasis on clinical training instead of basic sciences in the 4 yr post-grad programs in Australia. Do you find that true for Ireland too?

Members don't see this ad.

i am going to guess that the feb deadline is for the june interview. the second round of interviews.

Cloverhead: That is the deadline for the June Interview.

The director told me there was a range of 24-38 on the MCAT...
Here was is actual responce to my questions:
Only The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland requires students to present themselves for interview. You are eligible to be interviewed during the second cycle which will be conducted in May/June.

Applicants are not considered on the bases of the GPA and MCAT scores alone. A number of other criteria are involved.

As (i) the GPA system is not used in Ireland (ii) some applicants will have attended more competitive schools than others (iii) some applicants will have*pursued more difficult degrees/coursework than others (iv) Canadian and US scholls use various grading systems other than GPAs, we do not keep statistics on GPAs.

I can advise you that applicants who presented MCAT scores of 24-38 received conditional or unconditional offers of admission last year. This range varies from year to year according to the applicant pool and should not, therefore, be used to estimate an applicant's chances of selection.

Sincerely,

Louis D. Keenan, Admissions Officer
The Atlantic Bridge Program
3419 Via Lido, Suite 629
Newport Beach, CA 92663
Email: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the overall time frame for this process? I have also applied just recently and am wondering when we will know back....

I applied to UCC, UCD and Trinity, just because I want the college atms. and think 35,000 Euros is way too much for me to afford...

Holla,
se

some general comments based on things i've read. first of all, you will never find a succinct way of summarizing gpa and mcat scores of people admitted to med schools via atlantic bridge because they don't make these numbers the core of their admissions criteria. yes they are crucial but not in the same way as north american schools are number oriented with gpa cutoffs and required mcat score levels. i got into ucd with no mcat and a gpa that really wasn't anything to write home about, at least for my first degree. my grades during my second degree were amazing but that was only a 1 year program so it did very little to improve my appearance 'numerically'. AB looks at you holistically, seeing the kinds of things you've done as well as your grades etc. they like research experience, travel and life experience (as hokey as it sounds), athletics. they are interested somewhat in what school you've attended and the difficulty of the program. these things DO make a big difference, and i got an e-mail saying that from louis keenan back when i was applying.

secondly, with regard to the deadlines, i had my stuff in for the february deadline. i got my denial from trinity in early april, never heard anything from cork, got denied in late april from rcsi (after i didn't end up writing the april mcat) and got accepted to ucd on june 23. so it's really tough to say. classmates of mine who applied by nov. 15 heard from all schools by mid march or so.

good luck to everyone!

I was complete by Dec.6th of last year, and still haven't heard anything from the North Atlantic Bridge Program as of yet. Their email indicated that they would begin considering applicants in mid-January. Anyone else in the same boat?

hi sunny, what schools did you apply to?

I applied to RCSI, along with another fiend of mine (he applied to the rest of the NABP schools in Ireland), and we both sent our stuff by Nov.15th. We only got emails saying that we were complete by December 6th. Still no word... just wondering if we should ask, or if that would make us seem a bit impatient :D .

I'm currently third medical year in RCSI and our average class age is probably 25-27 right now. As for getting a residency your MLE scores will need to be slightly better than American grads from what I've heard. I do know at least 10 people that have scored 95+ on step 1, so its not impossible.

well, according to the ABP guy at the interview, UCD has sent out its first round of offers already. RCSI has had its first round of interviews and as for Trinity and Cork, I have no clue. I hope this helps.

I am an RCSI graduate.
It was the best decision of my life to attend the Royal College.
You have to realize that the Royal College has extremely strong links with premier centers in the U.S.
(1) A lot of the attendings here have done fellowships at Hopkins, MGH, Cleveland Clinic.
(2) The Royal College has developed the Online Basic Surgical course which is being used by Harvard.

I have just completed my residency interviews for general surgery. On my interview trail, all of the residency directors and chiefs told me how awesome the Royal College program is and how they really don't consider us FMGs because historically the RCSI grads have excelled.

In previous years (the past 3 for instance) RCSI grads have gotten residencies in Hopkins, Cleveland, Brigham and Women's, UVA, Duke, Columbia, U. Penn, all of which are top programs.

I interviewed for categorical general surgery programs at: georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Duke, UVA, Tufts, Yale and a few places in New York. It all depends on your cv.

No offence to the other universities in Dublin for they are all stellar academically. But, the RCSI provides those wishing to return to the US with tremendous opportunity. They are by far the best funded medical school so the research opporunities are legion. Furthermore, the basic science labs, the clinical teaching buildings are all state of the art (more advanced than a lot of the teaching centers I visited in the states). This all gives you tremendous leverage for trying to go back to the states. RCSI gives you 1. contacts in the states with alumni working here 2. research opportunities 3. a well respected education 4. a tremendous life style. I am now going to the states and I would not have changed my RCSI decision for anything. Just to let you know....................

Are you a true FMG (ie. no green card or U.S. citizenship)? What visa are you applying for? RCSI is so darn expensive! The other Irish schools do not have this same reputation or alumni connections in the States?

All the Irish schools have partnerships with schools in the states for electives. You can go on the different websites and check out which schools are partnered with certain schools.

Arb said:
Are you a true FMG (ie. no green card or U.S. citizenship)? What visa are you applying for? RCSI is so darn expensive! The other Irish schools do not have this same reputation or alumni connections in the States?

Members don't see this ad :)
Arb said:

I really don't want to get dragged into posting about this but as has been said MANY times before...ALL THE IRISH MEDICAL SCHOOLS ARE EQUALLY GOOD! Trinity graduates have gotten into many top residencies in the US also (Hopkins, Mayo etc) and Trinity alumni are practising in many of the top US hospitals (Harvard etc). The only reason RCSI stands out is they have a much larger North American cohort than any other Irish medical school and they have a longer history of admitting students from North America. That's really the only difference between RCSI and Trinity, UCD, UCC, UCG...

As regards "reputation", Trinity College was the only Irish university to be ranked in the recent THES (Times Higher Education Supplement) Top 200 world university rankings (87th). Trinity was also the only Irish university to be ranked in the THES Top 100 world univerisities for science (94th) and IT/engineering (91st). Oh and spare me the monologue on the pitfalls of rankings! ;)

Programme directors don't differeniate between Trinity, RCSI or UCD graduates... Getting into RCSI (for example) will not automatically assure you a place in Hopkins for residency...it's what you do with your time in Ireland that matters, whether that be in Trinity, RCSI, UCD, UCC or UCG.

Sage880 said:
All the Irish schools have partnerships with schools in the states for electives. You can go on the different websites and check out which schools are partnered with certain schools.

Yeah, Trinity has official agreements with Columbia and Johns Hopkins (amongst others). I'm sure UCD, UCC and UCG have similar agreements.

Yes, I am a true FMG, no green card, non american.

Yes all the Irish medical school give you equivalent training...they are all excellent. But RCSI is by far the best funded.

No, the connections to the US are NOT the same with all the other colleges. RCSI is by far and away the most connected. Beaumont hospital, the RCSI affiliated hospital, is the only hospital that Johns Hopkins surgical residents rotate through. Every 6 months a Johns Hopkins final year surgical resident rotates through Beaumont hospital as part of their rotation. They work with Mr. Broe (RCSI), Prof Bouchier-Hayes (RCSI) both of whom trained at Hopkins. Look it up on the Johns Hopkins website.

I agree the training is the same in all Irish Universities. But, if you wish to go to the states I think that has the greatest name recognition in the US and has, by far, the best contacts. Also, since a lot of RCSI grads end up in the states, the residency directors know what type of grads RCSI produces and they feel 'safer' with that type of applicant.

I've been there, I have finished my training, and I have been around the block. Take my word for it, RCSI is the place that gives you the best chance of getting into a great program in the states. Having said that, if you are awesome, it doesn't matter where you go......you will still end up where you want to.

albinolion said:
Having said that, if you are awesome, it doesn't matter where you go......you will still end up where you want to.

Although I don't agree with all of your post...I think this is the most important point to keep in mind when considering the different medical schools in Ireland.

To be honest, IMGs arrange their own electives with US hospitals/schools. It really doesn't make a difference how many connections there are or not, there's always going to be more students who want them than are places for. This leaves everyone else to make their own. It's not too difficult coming from any Irish school, provided that you apply in good time. Connections help, but they shouldn't really be a deciding factor in where an applicant chooses to go...there are other qualities of the schools which far outweigh the number of connections a certain college has.

And I would really disagree with RCSI having the most name-recognition in the US. I think that depends on where in the US you are looking. For instance, everyone who has heard of RCSI have definitely heard at Trinity and vice versa. More of the general public know of Trinity because of its tourism qualities. Tons of people know of UCD as well, especially in places that have RCSI and Trinity grads. This really is a moot point.

I just wanna go to A medical school in Ireland, so I can get started with my life. Please no more, "this college is the best" nonsense. :)

I don't mean name recognition by the person on the street in terms of Trinity's touristic appeal.....jeez...come on.

We are talking about residency programs. Program directors don't care about what kind of touristic appeal a place has. They care about (1) have they had residents from that institution (which they are more likely to have had from RCSI) and (2) Do the reference letters come from people they know (if the attendings at the RCSI have trained in Hopkins and know everyone there, they are more likely to accept you for electives etc....all the guys at RCSI have to do is make a phone call a lot of the time).

I am offering you advice based on long experience. I graduated, I have worked in Ireland as a surgeon for 2 years and am now going to the states. I am telling you that RCSI should be your number 1 choice IF you choose to go to the states. The opportunities afforded you are not the same in the other institutions. Take my advice or leave it....just don't say I didn't tell you so :).

My class in RCSI: 2 went to Mayo clinic, 1 went to Cleveland clinic, 2 went to Johns Hopkins (1 medicine 1 surgery), 1 went to Brigham and women's, one went to Yale, 1 went to UVa and NO they weren't all American citizens.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good luck to everyone applying, it's getting near the time people start hearing back from the colleges. Think people will be able to make up their own minds about the colleges based on meeting students / interviewers from each one and personal visits, for those who've taken trips to Ireland. Each college has pros and cons, but most everyone I've met who've taken our route ends up happy :).

When you're applying for a US residency as an FMG, the reputation of your foreign medical school can help, however, this influence diminishes when you apply to more competitive residency programs. It's impossible and uninformed to make a generalized statement such as RCSI is known in top institutions in the US and program directors are more inclined to take applicants from RCSI over another Irish or other foreign medical schools without mentioning that this is highly dependent on what speciality you're applying to and, more importantly, the quality of your application. It may be true that RCSI has a strong reputation in certain select institutions in the US like Mayo, Harvard, Cleveland Clinic, etc., for programs such as general surgery and internal medicine, but the influence dwindles for ultra-competitive specialities such as ophthalmology, ent, dermatology, plastic surgery, etc. In fact, FMGs match into these ultra-competitive programs from international medical schools with far less of a reputation compared to the Irish medical schools which is a testiment to the fact that the applicant's individual acheivements is what is most important. Also, I doubt that RCSI has that much more of a superior reputation in the US compared to Trinity College. Don't forget that alumni from TCD also travel to the US for fellowships and have connections, and if we are comparing name recognition, although 'Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland' is a catchy title, Trinity is a world renowned multi-faculty institution and that has the capability to make more of an impact for you. For instance, Oxford could possibly have a poor medical school, I don't know, but then again, everybody knows Oxford. And another thing, when I speak to people at school about electives, everybody wants to go to Harvard, Hopkins, Mayo, and the other big names, but remember, this doesn't necessarily mean that they have the best programs. Some programs are better for clinical experience (or in surgery, operative experience), while others provide a better forum for publishing if one wishes to go into academic practise. The previous poster took great pride in listing some big name institutions where he interviewed such as Hopkins, Georgetown, and Tufts, but remember, athough these programs are considered strong, they are not necessarily the best programs in the US. Most of the University-based programs in the US are strong, however there are a propensity of great programs in the southern US where RCSI is practically unknown, for example, Emory, Vanderbilt, UTSW, Baylor, etc., also, the mid-west like Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin, and the west coast programs in California. In my humble opinion, if you go to RCSI or Trinity or any of the other Irish medical schools, your opportunity will depend on your performance much more than it will depend on your school's name.

For albinolion, when you say that you have 'long experience' and that you 'have finished training' and have 'worked as a surgeon for 2 years', by this do you mean that you graduated from medical school in 2003 and have worked as an intern for a year (6 months medicine/6 months surgery) and a senior house officer for another year in Ireland?

albinolion said:
Yes, I am a true FMG, no green card, non american.

Yes all the Irish medical school give you equivalent training...they are all excellent. But RCSI is by far the best funded.

Hi albinolion. Thank you for such informative information. I am very impressed with the RCSI so far. I was wondering, what nationality are you ? I might be in the same position as you in a few years time. :laugh:

CoolCyber said:
Hi albinolion. Thank you for such informative information. I am very impressed with the RCSI so far. I was wondering, what nationality are you ? I might be in the same position as you in a few years time. :laugh:

Acceptances are flowing. My question to past AB peeps is the following: Did you get multiple acceptances? What about after you paid a deposit, did you hear anythig from other schools then?
Thanks,
SE

PS: What is the word on the street about the trend on housing prices? Band of Ireland has predicted a 6% increase, down from the double digets last year...

sepaul said:
Acceptances are flowing. My question to past AB peeps is the following: Did you get multiple acceptances? What about after you paid a deposit, did you hear anythig from other schools then?
Thanks,
SE

PS: What is the word on the street about the trend on housing prices? Band of Ireland has predicted a 6% increase, down from the double digets last year...

You get all your acceptances/rejections within a few weeks of each other. (I only got one acceptance but my GPA was pathetic). If you really want one med school over the other then give Peter Nealon a call and he can try to check on your status or try to move things along.

As far as housing prices go, yes they're still going up. But, for God's sake, don't buy a house! The Economist is predicting "an imminent major correction in the Irish market" or a price crash! Especially since rental prices are dropping every year, you're advised to rent.

dirtymac42 said:
You get all your acceptances/rejections within a few weeks of each other. (I only got one acceptance but my GPA was pathetic). If you really want one med school over the other then give Peter Nealon a call and he can try to check on your status or try to move things along.

As far as housing prices go, yes they're still going up. But, for God's sake, don't buy a house! The Economist is predicting "an imminent major correction in the Irish market" or a price crash! Especially since rental prices are dropping every year, you're advised to rent.

That was the feeling I got from reading the Economist article as well. This is in contrast to the Bank of Ireland's report who has quoted a 6% growth for 2005. I suppose they support the "soft landing" approach we are hoping for in San Diego.

As intrest rates climb, the demand should fizzle and perhaps lower housing costs by 20-30%. But then we might be faced with high morgage rates.

Its tough to say. I will likely live in student housing and thake the watch and wait approach.

Anyone else see any other objective reports on Irish Property markets (ie. along the lines of the Economist)?

-se

sepaul said:
That was the feeling I got from reading the Economist article as well. This is in contrast to the Bank of Ireland's report who has quoted a 6% growth for 2005. I suppose they support the "soft landing" approach we are hoping for in San Diego.

As intrest rates climb, the demand should fizzle and perhaps lower housing costs by 20-30%. But then we might be faced with high morgage rates.

Its tough to say. I will likely live in student housing and thake the watch and wait approach.

Anyone else see any other objective reports on Irish Property markets (ie. along the lines of the Economist)?

-se

Well hello all!! I am from Georgia, USA and I have applied with the ABP to the medschools in Ireland. I sent my application to all 4 schools that participate UCD, trinity, UCC and RCSi. I am very excited about the idea that I might be bestowed with the oppertunity to live and study in another country for a while. But this morning I recieved a letter from Trinity and it was the ever so thoughtful thanks for thinking of us but No thanks. Bless their hearts, they have no idea what they passed up! +pity+ :D I am now awaiting the decision from the other schools. My first choice out of my remaning schools is either UCD or UCC can not decide between these two but I will make that decision if that time comes, we will see. As for the housing market, well I attached a few articles below. There certainly is a slowing in growth but I am not so sure that the prices will fall but will stabalize, maybe. I wish everyone the best of luck and hope to hear more from the people that have applied for this comming up semester in Ireland.

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/050323/218/feul5.html
http://www.bizplus.ie/?ns=8569
these are basically the same

just tryin' to keep it alive

I wouldn't believe everything you read in The Economist...the property market in Ireland isn't going to correct itself! Prices will probably stabilise over the next few years....hopefully!!

Rents in general are coming down (slightly). This is due to over-inflated rental prices over the last few years and a saturation in the number rental properties in the market at the moment.

I'm going to UCD -- if i let an apartment in what area should I be looking?

Belfield is where the campus is. But should you choose to live in city centre, it's not a long bus journey. There are of course advantages to living close to campus, but once you get into clinical years it won't matter, since your hospitals aren't near the campus. Also, you should consider things like transport going home at night and amenities, which might put city centre at an advantage over living close to UCD.

drpepper2 said:
I'm going to UCD -- if i let an apartment in what area should I be looking?

I spoke with UCD and they explained that 1st year classes are held in Dublin 2 or City Center. They are planning on moving all of the classes to the Belfield campus in 2006.

If I am lookign to rent/buy in an affordable area, which neighborhoods should I look in. I don't mind communting a bit for a decreased rent or morgage.

Thanks,
Se

Ranelagh and Rathmines are very student areas (for both Trinity and UCD). Portobello area (right before Rathmines) is quite a UCD-centered place. There's also Donnybrook (could be expensive) - These are places where there'd be a good bus line to UCD. Merrion Square is also on the way to UCD, and Baggot Street is close to bus routes. City Center is convenient, but is where the most expensive rent is...although it isn't too bad. What sort of budget are you looking at for rent and living expenses?

In general, stay to the southside of Dublin. First, it's better. Second, it's safer.

leorl said:
Ranelagh and Rathmines are very student areas (for both Trinity and UCD). Portobello area (right before Rathmines) is quite a UCD-centered place. There's also Donnybrook (could be expensive) - These are places where there'd be a good bus line to UCD. Merrion Square is also on the way to UCD, and Baggot Street is close to bus routes. City Center is convenient, but is where the most expensive rent is...although it isn't too bad. What sort of budget are you looking at for rent and living expenses?

In general, stay to the southside of Dublin. First, it's better. Second, it's safer.

I want to stay below the 1185 euros recommende by the international office at UCD. I would prefer to live in an area cheaper than center and will look into your recommendations for areas. I might consider university housing just for the convience of the 1st year.

What areas will fit with my budget?
Thanks!
-se

Hang on. 1185 per month??!?!?! or per year?!?!? either way, it's ridiculous. There is no way you'll pay something as much as 1185 per month, unless you're living in some kind of modern trendy 1-bedroom 2-floored apartment in city center. And you won't find that per year either, as no apt. would go for like 100 per month. You can get a decent single room in a two-bedroom apartment in city center for like 500 a month, and that's even a little on the more expensive side. If you share apartments with a couple people, it'll decrease to like 400 a month or something. When you start going out of city center, it gets a little cheaper but not that much...depends on what you want to live in and whether you're willing to share. But I'd say anything decent will be between 375-500 a month for a single room in an apt., unless you're sharing a room with someone in which case the cost of the room is split. But being overseas with a lot of crap, you'll need your own space.

leorl said:
Hang on. 1185 per month??!?!?! or per year?!?!? either way, it's ridiculous. There is no way you'll pay something as much as 1185 per month, unless you're living in some kind of modern trendy 1-bedroom 2-floored apartment in city center. And you won't find that per year either, as no apt. would go for like 100 per month. You can get a decent single room in a two-bedroom apartment in city center for like 500 a month, and that's even a little on the more expensive side. If you share apartments with a couple people, it'll decrease to like 400 a month or something. When you start going out of city center, it gets a little cheaper but not that much...depends on what you want to live in and whether you're willing to share. But I'd say anything decent will be between 375-500 a month for a single room in an apt., unless you're sharing a room with someone in which case the cost of the room is split. But being overseas with a lot of crap, you'll need your own space.

No, that's the monthly budget. Thanks for all of the info.

Could you ask your firends about scholarships as well? Do they get any where can I search?
thanks,
Se

Sorry, there's no scholarships. The Irish universities don't really give academic scholarships, and even if they do, it wouldn't go to an international student unless the government has set up some sort of exchange program (in which case, it'd be the government of that country who's paying). Trinity has something called the Foundation Scholarship where you take an extra exam in your 3rd (2nd) year, but very very very few North Americans get them. As far as I'm aware, there's no US-based scholarship program either...as...who would pay for someone to be an IMG?

Anyway, with regards to the earlier question. There's no way in hell you'll be spending 1185 per month on rent, unless you're living the spoiled high life. There are American students who actually do spend 1000 on rent, but not too many.

I applied to all 4 schools in the ABP, and I've been Rejected from UCD. I recieved my first rejection letter in the beginning of April. I have not yet heard anything else from the other schools and it's the end of April. So, i'm wondering is no news good news! Has anyone else had a similar experience. I'm trying to be patient but it is driving me nuts!

Is it like this every year? Long waits for decisions and many rejections?

Hey! Just wondering how many Canadians have been accepted via the ABP, and wondering what the average GPA and MCAT was for Canadians? Any one have any clue?
Also I was wondering if anyone has recieved a notice for the second round of interview for RCS?

Hey, I'm a Canadian studying in Ireland. Every class seems to have nearly twice as many Canadians as American students.

Averages are hard to figure out. My engineering GPA from Canada was garbage; 36 on the MCAT. I think the average at UCC is around 32-33 for MCAT. Tough to tell for sure. GPA's seem to be in a huge range so I think they don't look at the GPA's quite as much.

Flinstone said:
Hey! Just wondering how many Canadians have been accepted via the ABP, and wondering what the average GPA and MCAT was for Canadians? Any one have any clue?
Also I was wondering if anyone has recieved a notice for the second round of interview for RCS?

Anyone know if this has happened in the past? What do you suggest?
thanks,
se

Sadly, not bloody likely. I haven't heard of anyone getting it back. Good luck with that.

sepaul said:
Anyone know if this has happened in the past? What do you suggest?
thanks,
se

Hi Flinstone. I can only give you my own experience, but when I applied in 2002 I heard back from Trinity (rejection) in February, UCD (rejection) in March and had pretty much given up on hearing from UCC when I got accepted in late April (with 6 days to get the deposit together and sent to California!). You can always contact the guys at Atlantic Bridge and see what they say. Don't give up - sometimes they are just really slow to respond. One fellow in my year didn't even apply until late spring, after he had heard back from the Canadian schools he had applied to. Good luck; maybe we'll see you in Cork in the fall.

Flinstone said:
I applied to all 4 schools in the ABP, and I've been Rejected from UCD. I recieved my first rejection letter in the beginning of April. I have not yet heard anything else from the other schools and it's the end of April. So, i'm wondering is no news good news! Has anyone else had a similar experience. I'm trying to be patient but it is driving me nuts!

I've seen a lot of you saying you had a pathetic GPA and got into the Atlantic Bridge program, but what is a pathetic GPA? 2.8? 3? 3.2?

[delete, wrong thread!]

Last edited: