Anybody still waiting on PCOM-GA???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i called dcom and wanted to show my continued interest in the school and they suggested that i email dr. carney. so i did that, but all he told me was that they were sending out invites until april 17 and that there's not much i can do at this point other than wait. although, if i haven't gotten an invite by now, i'm not too hopeful. i'll let you know if anything changes!

:( Sorry. I hope it works out for you. Don't give up hope. Hang in there. Everything will work out the way it is supposed to. GOOD LUCK!:luck: :love:

Members don't see this ad.

i called dcom and wanted to show my continued interest in the school and they suggested that i email dr. carney. so i did that, but all he told me was that they were sending out invites until april 17 and that there's not much i can do at this point other than wait. although, if i haven't gotten an invite by now, i'm not too hopeful. i'll let you know if anything changes!

Did you get in touch with Dr. Leo? He is the one to get in touch with. I never knew of a Mr. Carney until much later.

+pity+ Nothing. I guess that means the letters are going out today (we can only hope). Goodbye $2000 dep to somewhere else, goodbye NHSC scholarship and hello $160,000 in debt.:( :( :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
You can apply for the NHSC next year, or even after med school and ask for it to be retroactvie. Many students choos to have only 2 or 3 years covered by the nealthcore scholoarship, becuase it is a one year ofpayment for year of service type of thing. I hope you hear something soon from PCOM-GA!
Marcia

Hey,
You can apply for the NHSC next year, or even after med school and ask for it to be retroactvie. Many students choos to have only 2 or 3 years covered by the nealthcore scholoarship, becuase it is a one year ofpayment for year of service type of thing. I hope you hear something soon from PCOM-GA!
Marcia

WAHOOO!!!!! You are fantastic! I did not know that. I will definately look into it. Thank you so much for posting and letting me know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this "scholarship" pretty competitive? Meaning that there is actually just a small chance you would even get it if you applied? That's the impression I got.

Yes the NHCS is very competitive. Only a small amount of people who apply can get the scholarship. Also, there are stiff penalties if you get the scholarship and then do not follow through with the commitment. Which is another reason that many people wait to see if primary care is their thing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this "scholarship" pretty competitive? Meaning that there is actually just a small chance you would even get it if you applied? That's the impression I got.

They say there are 7 applicants for every 1 scholarship. I know that is pretty stiff, but I am confident in my choice of primary care (peds) and everything I have done leading to med school reflects that. Plus, the scholarship decisions are based on the liklihood that the applicant will continue to work in an underserved area after the commitment time has been fulfilled. So if you live in the inner city or the south/southeast (places that are extremely underserved -as I am sure you are aware of), you have a higher liklihood of staying in those areas and serving that population for an extended period of time. There is a huge psyc questionaire asking all the same questions different ways trying to perdict the students commitment.

So, while my chances might not be great, I feel like they are good. I could accept at LECOM if I don't get in to PCOM-Ga and still apply for the scholarship -but DCOM is our 2nd choice. I would rather pay full tuition and go there than go to LECOM-Erie -Just my opinion.:)

They say there are 7 applicants for every 1 scholarship. I know that is pretty stiff, but I am confident in my choice of primary care (peds) and everything I have done leading to med school reflects that. Plus, the scholarship decisions are based on the liklihood that the applicant will continue to work in an underserved area after the commitment time has been fulfilled. So if you live in the inner city or the south/southeast (places that are extremely underserved -as I am sure you are aware of), you have a higher liklihood of staying in those areas and serving that population for an extended period of time. There is a huge psyc questionaire asking all the same questions different ways trying to perdict the students commitment.

So, while my chances might not be great, I feel like they are good. I could accept at LECOM if I don't get in to PCOM-Ga and still apply for the scholarship -but DCOM is our 2nd choice. I would rather pay full tuition and go there than go to LECOM-Erie -Just my opinion.:)

LECOM-Erie just put out a great match ... ;)

LECOM-Erie just put out a great match ... ;)

Dr. I, you look for my posts so you can bother me -don't you? According to your signature, you will be a class behind me at DCOM anyway. You will be walking in my footsteps. ;) :laugh:

Dr. I, you look for my posts so you can bother me -don't you? According to your signature, you will be a class behind me at DCOM anyway. You will be walking in my footsteps. ;) :laugh:

What may seem to be on the surface may not always be reality.

To think DCOM is that great is a flaw, and the future will crumble upon your footsteps ;)

What may seem to be on the surface may not always be reality.

To think DCOM is that great is a flaw, and the future will crumble upon your footsteps ;)

DCOM will have its issues, no doubt. But it will be successful and so will its students -most of us anyway.

I take it you feel negatively about DCOM -the school you claim to be going to -because they (and only they) accepted you. I have a feeling that you will be in for a shock when you settle down here in TN for 4 years.

DCOM will have its issues, no doubt. But it will be successful and so will its students -most of us anyway.

I take it you feel negatively about DCOM -the school you claim to be going to -because they (and only they) accepted you. I have a feeling that you will be in for a shock when you settle down here in TN for 4 years.

I'm not negative about DCOM at all. It appears to be well-organized. That is all I know and will say at this point. I just love the false sense of perfection that reams out of its students that haven't even set foot in its building yet.

Is TN that awful? Wow, if it is, no wonder you are itching to get out! I suggest good ole Georgia would just be dandiful for you. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not negative about DCOM at all. It appears to be well-organized. That is all I know and will say at this point. I just love the false sense of perfection that reams out of its students that haven't even set foot in its building yet.

Is TN that awful? Wow, if it is, no wonder you are itching to get out! I suggest good ole Georgia would just be dandiful for you.

Actually TN is fantastic! I love it and if I go to pcom-ga I will be back in Knoxville as soon as residency is over. I just don't think the nice folks of TN will like you very much, if this is the real you.

Actually TN is fantastic! I love it and if I go to pcom-ga I will be back in Knoxville as soon as residency is over. I just don't think the nice folks of TN will like you very much, if this is the real you.

Plenty like me, don't worry, I'm sure the same is thought of you.

Plenty like me, don't worry, I'm sure the same is thought of you.

Yeah, sure. What ever floats your happy little boat.:laugh: :laugh:

Dr. I, really what is up? Did you defer a year with DCOM? Are you taking the year to go travel and stuff? If I were young, I certainly would! A nice break before starting a huge commitment.

What field of Medicine are you looking towards right now?

there is a rumor going around that letters are "supposed" to be sent out by end of this week....so maybe expect something in mail by early next week. I guess we will just have to wait and see

i sure hope so, i asked aisha and all she said was that they expect the majority of the letters to be sent out by mid april. that's a longgg time away!

Did you turn in your updated grades to DCOM?

yeah i faxed them to dr. leo last week, so now i'm just hoping for an interview invite from dcom:)

yeah i faxed them to dr. leo last week, so now i'm just hoping for an interview invite from dcom:)

Good luck. Keep in touch with Dr. Leo and see what he is thinking. He basically got my application file to the top of the list and allowed me priority on the earliest interview date at the time. I'm aware of the situation possibly being different (time and of the sort), but go for it, better off losing putting up a fight than not showing up ...Let me know how it all works out.

THANKS for letting me know, i'll definitely keep in touch with him. you're right, there's not much to lose at this point.

Good luck. Keep in touch with Dr. Leo and see what he is thinking. He basically got my application file to the top of the list and allowed me priority on the earliest interview date at the time. I'm aware of the situation possibly being different (time and of the sort), but go for it, better off losing putting up a fight than not showing up ...Let me know how it all works out.

Dr. I is right. I talked to Paul Carney today and he said that they still had spots left, though he didn't say how many. He also said that there were 63 on the alternate list. So definately keep calling. Send a letter of intent to Dr. Leo by e-mail too.

is it appropriate to send a letter of intent before you've interviewed? 63 people also seems like a really long waitlist already...

is it appropriate to send a letter of intent before you've interviewed? 63 people also seems like a really long waitlist already...

Better than nothing. They're on the waitlist, and there's still seats avail = obviously they won't be looking at them until much later. You still have a shot.

Better than nothing. They're on the waitlist, and there's still seats avail = obviously they won't be looking at them until much later. You still have a shot.

Dr. I, maybe I misjudged your intentions on sdn. While I won't go so far as some and say your sweet, I will say it seems that you give good advice when it is needed. :thumbup: Shhhhh...don't tell anyone on the DCOM thread that I said that.:laugh:

i sent it! if there's some fluke chance i get into dcom, i'll know who i owe it to!:)
in the meantime, pcom-ga i still hate you for not getting back to me. hmph.

i sent it! if there's some fluke chance i get into dcom, i'll know who i owe it to!:)
in the meantime, pcom-ga i still hate you for not getting back to me. hmph.[/quote]

I hate them too! We are never getting those letters.

bump... the wait continues...

I hope not to ruffle any feathers with this. I just had my interview at PCOM-Ga last Thursday and was told that I would know in the next three weeks. However, I was just curious about those on the wait list as to what your MCAT and GPA was like. I know a lot more plays into their decision but I was just hoping to get a fair idea on what my chances were. 26 MCAT (not great) and a 3.80 GPA here.

-Redox

I hope not to ruffle any feathers with this. I just had my interview at PCOM-Ga last Thursday and was told that I would know in the next three weeks. However, I was just curious about those on the wait list as to what your MCAT and GPA was like. I know a lot more plays into their decision but I was just hoping to get a fair idea on what my chances were. 26 MCAT (not great) and a 3.80 GPA here.

-Redox

Why would this ruffle feathers? We are waiting because we were on post-interview hold.

Yes, much more factors into the decisions, including a true desire to be an osteopathic physician.

-Redox

I hope you can do a better job at ruffling feathers, if that's your only intention in that post ... :laugh:

nothing here either :mad:

anybody? hear anything?
jfksldfjsl;ajflsa;jfl;kajf;lajflkjasl;fjsa;lkfjslk;dafj;lajf;jkjf

I give up. I was so focused on it mainly because of the NHSC Scholarship, but now that deadline is passed so I am going to focus on DCOM....I like the system based learning anyway.;)

I would still like a letter at some point though!!!!

pcom-ga isn't systems-based?

I thought they were discipline based? I'm pretty sure they are....could be wrong though.

Oh well, it doesn't really matter I was just trying to make myself feel better! HaHa :laugh:

I thought they were discipline based? I'm pretty sure they are....could be wrong though.

Oh well, it doesn't really matter I was just trying to make myself feel better! HaHa :laugh:

Bask in the fact that you're in somewhere. :thumbup:

Bask in the fact that you're in somewhere. :thumbup:

Dr. I-

I am, I am. I am basking in the glory of DCOM...but wishing it could be paid for!

Thanks for the reality check!

Well, don't give up hope. I am about to withdraw my PCOM-Ga acceptance, because I have been accepted elsewhere. SO....that opens up another spot!:thumbup:
Good Luck!!:luck:
R~
Dr. I-

I am, I am. I am basking in the glory of DCOM...but wishing it could be paid for!

Thanks for the reality check!

I tried calling Aisha but she is out of the office until Monday. I thought we would have all received letter by now one way or the other. Why is it taking them so long????

I tried calling Aisha but she is out of the office until Monday. I thought we would have all received letter by now one way or the other. Why is it taking them so long????

Who knows! I have been told 10 times by Aisha that the letters were "about" to be mailed. I really am just settling on DCOM.

Bump...Nobody has heard a thing? Maybe they are waiting until the April 15 deposit deadline.

Bump...Nobody has heard a thing? Maybe they are waiting until the April 15 deposit deadline.

I can't believe you haven't heard yet! That is rude! Don't they know that people need to make plans? :smuggrin:

I can't believe you haven't heard yet! That is rude! Don't they know that people need to make plans? :smuggrin:

It really is pathetic! We have focused on DCOM now anyhow. PCOM-GA was a plus for us because of the NHSC scholarship, but that deadline has passed now so it isn't important anymore. The only other plus is that they have an elite gymnastics gym in Atlanta (our daughter is the compulsory and prep-op TN state champion *beeming Mother*) and we would like to give her a chance to pursue that avenue.

But, my fingers are crossed for everyone else who is waiting.:luck: :luck: :luck:

It really is pathetic! We have focused on DCOM now anyhow. PCOM-GA was a plus for us because of the NHSC scholarship, but that deadline has passed now so it isn't important anymore. The only other plus is that they have an elite gymnastics gym in Atlanta (our daughter is the compulsory and prep-op TN state champion *beeming Mother*) and we would like to give her a chance to pursue that avenue.

But, my fingers are crossed for everyone else who is waiting.:luck: :luck: :luck:

Well, good luck either way. I am sure it will work out the way that it is supposed to. :luck:

it's about time pcom-ga got back to me! i got waitlisted...again. so that makes 3 waitlists for me so far. ahhhhh