Anybody up for posting their top three?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pili

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll start

1. UW
2. Mayo
3. Yale

Members don't see this ad.

Jamezuva said:
have you lost your gord?!?! :scared: :eek:
Hey dude, I have arrived at my decision after much agony and I am proclaiming it to the world. Whassup.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pili said:
I'll start

1. UW
2. Mayo
3. Yale

May I ask why BID is not up there, I'm just curious b/c you talked about them often and I thought they ae pretty high caliber. Thanx

Jackie1. said:
May I ask why BID is not up there, I'm just curious b/c you talked about them often and I thought they ae pretty high caliber. Thanx
It's my concern about fellowship placement, plus difficulties of securing a job while competing against the true big dogs...BID is definitely not MGH or BW.

Pili said:
Hey dude, I have arrived at my decision after much agony and I am proclaiming it to the world. Whassup.
word... :smuggrin: just a joke, dude ;)

1) hopkins
2) brigham
3) ucsf

not set in stone.... :(

By the way, UW is by far the strongest IM on your list, Pili. I would have done the same. Good luck. :thumbup:

Excellent choices, congratulations to you all.

Mine are (soon to be certified):
1)BU (ranking PC and Cat)
2)Brown (Cat and PC/Gen Med)
3)UMass

and #4 and #5 that didn't get ranked higher due to family and location issues, but GREAT programs I'd love to match at:
4)Yale PC
5)University of Maryland (GO TERPS!)

The rest, probably (but may change):
6)Maine Medical Center
7)Lahey Clinic
8)Dartmouth
9)Baystate

VERY tough choice between BU and Brown, loved both programs and would be absolutely stoked to match at either. At this point, I'm pretty sure that I'll have a huge smile on my face if I get #1-5, and still smiling with most of the rest.. good luck!

yomanjr's order for me, but in reverse (when I end up at Hopkins and yomanjr at UCSF we will just have to switch identities :)

Alright, feels scary to put this somewhere so public...and #1 and #2 flip flop almost daily...

1. duke
2. unc
3. Wake Forest

(can you tell which state i want to stay in!)

Alright, here's my list though it keeps changing everyday. The only one's I'm sure about are my number 4 and number 5.

1. Mayo-rochester
2. Wash U
3. Univeristy of Minnesota
4. University of Wisconsin
5. Creighton University

1)U chicago - from the midwest, definitely the best in Chicago
2)Columbia - wouldn't mind NYC
3)MGH - gotta include the hahvads
4)Brigham

Members don't see this ad :)
Cardsman said:
1)U chicago - from the midwest, definitely the best in Chicago
2)Columbia - wouldn't mind NYC
3)MGH - gotta include the hahvads
4)Brigham

:wow:

1. University of Utah
2. UT Southwestern

Of course, this was 3 years ago..... :cool:
Matched at #1 and couldn't be happier.

cool.. so where do y'all think you'll match? I'm guessing I'll end up at UMass, as BU and Brown are very popular programs. that would be great.. If not UMass, I'd guess I'll drop down to Maine if that remains #6; after catching a glimpse of their ranking sheet during my interview, I'd guess that they rank at least 75% of interviewees (and may rank more this year since they have had trouble filling the past 2 years, who knows). Ah, I should really stop trying to figure this out.

Pili said:
I'll start

1. UW
2. Mayo
3. Yale

Hey Pili!!! After all your posts about the TMC, I was thinking I was gonna see either Baylor or UT Houston in or top three... May I ask you what made you change your mind?

:)

Hb

hemoglobin said:
Hey Pili!!! After all your posts about the TMC, I was thinking I was gonna see either Baylor or UT Houston in or top three... May I ask you what made you change your mind?

:)

Hb
My fiancee!!! I would have stayed in Texas: many jobs, better pay, the TMC, a very strong Texas Medical Association...Buy my fiancee is feeling adventurous. She has links to the first and third places. The second (Mayo) is a program that really impressed me... :cool:

Although I am not at all sure this list is best for my sanity and/or the fleeting vestiges of dignity that are still mine, my list right now is:

1) MGH
2) BWH
3) UCSF

and considerably down the list is...
4) BID
5) Penn
6) Cornell

(Basically, I am looking for great academics, happy environment, and as little in the way of malignancy/axis II diagnoses as possible).

Pili said:
My fiancee!!! I would have stayed in Texas: many jobs, better pay, the TMC, a very strong Texas Medical Association...Buy my fiancee is feeling adventurous. She has links to the first and third places. The second (Mayo) is a program that really impressed me... :cool:

Hahaha!!! As I was reading your post, I was thinking " What does the fiancee want to do in Rochester?????" LOL Then I read the rest and it made sense.
Mayo is indeed an awesome program. I still havent decided if I am ranking Mayo or Baylor #1. Everyday I wake up with a different opinion in my head. Gosh, is this ever difficult?????? I hope I can make up my mind before Feb. 23rd. :laugh:

Best of luck to you!! :thumbup:

Hb

1. MGH
2. Hopkins
3. UCSF
4. BWH
5. BIDMC
6. Penn
7. Stanford
8. Columbia
9. Yale
10. Cornell
11. Michigan
12. Mayo
13. Wash U.
14. UTSW
What do you guys think? - I want to go into Nephrology...I love the KIDNEY! :love:

CoolMD2BE said:
1. MGH
2. Hopkins
3. UCSF
4. BWH
5. BIDMC
6. Penn
7. Stanford
8. Columbia
9. Yale
10. Cornell
11. Michigan
12. Mayo
13. Wash U.
14. UTSW
What do you guys think? - I want to go into Nephrology...I love the KIDNEY! :love:

Unless you are dead set on boston, you have BIDMC ranked above some programs that are much better.

bigtuna said:
Unless you are dead set on boston, you have BIDMC ranked above some programs that are much better.
I think you're right...I think BIDMC should go belows Penn, Stanford, Columbia, and Yale. Just above Cornell. Also, I will probably put Mayo above Michigan. This is getting annoying and I think I went on too many interviews. I really wanted to see Duke but they rejected me...that's alright, maybe for fellowship :laugh: .

CoolMD2BE said:
I think you're right...I think BIDMC should go belows Penn, Stanford, Columbia, and Yale. Just above Cornell. Also, I will probably put Mayo above Michigan. This is getting annoying and I think I went on too many interviews. I really wanted to see Duke but they rejected me...that's alright, maybe for fellowship :laugh: .

Given your stats on the other thread, all of the above is moot. Surely you have received "ranked to match" correspondences from multiple programs at the top of your list.

My top 4 are:

1. BWH
2. MGH
3. Hopkins
4. Penn

CoolMD2BE said:

Why would you think Mayo should go above Michigan? Mayo is a good place for fellowships, not residency. I think they are also way less competitive than Michigan in selecting candidates, which transfers over to the quality of traning. I think Michigan should be above Yale, Columbia, Stanford, and BIDMC on that list and probably right on par with Penn. It is a great program that is very reputatable that puts out awesome fellowships, I think it is underratered though because it's located in the cold Midwest and isn't one of the "Ivy League" places. Does anyone agree?

Jackie1. said:
Why would you think Mayo should go above Michigan? Mayo is a good place for fellowships, not residency. I think they are also way less competitive than Michigan in selecting candidates, which transfers over to the quality of traning. I think Michigan should be above Yale, Columbia, Stanford, and BIDMC on that list and probably right on par with Penn. It is a great program that is very reputatable that puts out awesome fellowships, I think it is underratered though because it's located in the cold Midwest and isn't one of the "Ivy League" places. Does anyone agree?
umm...nope

Jamezuva said:
umm...nope

I agree. Mayo probably has training that is about as good as any of a number of top programs. However, the reputation for a top IM training program is simply not there. There are plenty of people in academic IM who just don't think this is a top program and it is not competitive to match there at all.

Flame away mayo lovers!!! :p

I would put wash u, michigan, and UTSW above BIDMC, stanford, colombia, yale.

bigtuna said:
I agree. Mayo probably has training that is about as good as any of a number of top programs. However, the reputation for a top IM training program is simply not there. There are plenty of people in academic IM who just don't think this is a top program and it is not competitive to match there at all.

Flame away mayo lovers!!! :p

I would put wash u, michigan, and UTSW above BIDMC, stanford, colombia, yale.

Mayo represents a paradox for me...we all know that Mayo isn't the most competitive program to enter and doesn't have the reputation of Harvard, Hopkins, etc. But what is amazing about Mayo is how well these "less-competitive" people who enter the program do...Their fellowship match list is quite impressive (supposedly it is exceedingly rare for people to go unmatched in the fellowship of choice and usually location of choice), they have a 100% pass rate on ABIM boards, and they avg. many publications. I have said this before, I judge programs on their outcomes, because that is truly an indication of "repuation" or at least that is what "reputation" should be based on. It seems to me that Mayo takes "less-competitive" candidates and turns them into "super-competitive" candidates and isn't that what you want in a program? Nevertheless, I am probably going to match higher.
-G
PS: They say over 1/3 of their class in IM is AOA, so it is really not that competitive???

CoolMD2BE said:
Mayo represents a paradox for me...we all know that Mayo isn't the most competitive program to enter and doesn't have the reputation of Harvard, Hopkins, etc. But what is amazing about Mayo is how well these "less-competitive" people who enter the program do...Their fellowship match list is quite impressive (supposedly it is exceedingly rare for people to go unmatched in the fellowship of choice and usually location of choice), they have a 100% pass rate on ABIM boards, and they avg. many publications. I have said this before, I judge programs on their outcomes, because that is truly an indication of "repuation" or at least that is what "reputation" should be based on. It seems to me that Mayo takes "less-competitive" candidates and turns them into "super-competitive" candidates and isn't that what you want in a program? Nevertheless, I am probably going to match higher.
-G
PS: They say over 1/3 of their class in IM is AOA, so it is really not that competitive???
I think Mayo accepts awesome residents. Perhaps the "most spoiled" candidates would not rank Mayo ahead of say UCSF, their loss, not Mayo's loss, but Mayo truly selects globally outstanding candidates. Their IMGs, mostly European, are the cream of the crop and add to the educational experience. The PD is awesome. Fellowship directors know that Mayo puts out very well trained docs. I am a big Mayo fan, if you can't tell.

1.JHU
2.Wash U
3.Mayo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wise men think alike, Fools seldom differ.

The clock is ticking and still undecided on the order....

UTSW, Baylor, UCSD, Colorado

You have to keep in mind, location is a big deal. It's why some california programs are probably more competitive than they ought to be. I'm sure Mayo's a great place, but I didn't even apply there because from my view, it's in the middle of nowhere. Most people probably look primarily east coast, west coast, or midwest. Mayo's not really any of those and geographically, is relatively isolated. That's probably what makes it less competitive.

CoolMD2BE said:
-G

med1234 said:
You have to keep in mind, location is a big deal. It's why some california programs are probably more competitive than they ought to be. I'm sure Mayo's a great place, but I didn't even apply there because from my view, it's in the middle of nowhere. Most people probably look primarily east coast, west coast, or midwest. Mayo's not really any of those and geographically, is relatively isolated. That's probably what makes it less competitive.

I'm pretty sure that Minnesota is in the midwest, unless Canada succeeded in getting it relocated to the Northwest territories in order to gain access to those mines but...I digress

I have read a number of postings that question the quality of the Mayo-Rochester program and the residents. Both the residents and the program are extraordinary. I have had the opportunity to look at many of the "top programs" (MGH, BWH, etc.), and if I was ranking the programs solely based on where I thought I would get the best training, I would not hesitate in ranking Mayo #1. Additionally, the residents at Mayo arrive very well qualified and competent and leave as absolute superstars. Even more surprising is the fact that they achieve their superstardom in a benign and supportive environment. All of this talk about malignancy in the Mayo IM program is the absolute furthest thing from the truth.

carol ann said:
I'm pretty sure that Minnesota is in the midwest, unless Canada succeeded in getting it relocated to the Northwest territories in order to gain access to those mines but...I digress

technically, yeah, ok... but i still don't really consider it midwest as much as i consider it in the middle of nowhere.

med1234 said:
technically, yeah, ok... but i still don't really consider it midwest as much as i consider it in the middle of nowhere.

The only thing I can assume is that you are one of those geographically challenged east coasters who think the only thing past Pennsylvania is California. Just FYI Minnesota, along with every city in the state, is in the midwest. Rochester is only 1 hour away from the twin citities and 30-45 minutes away from the closest suburb of the twin cities. Mayo is in just of small/middle of nowhere town as is Duke or Wake Forest.

the order still changes everyday:
Brown
OHSU
BU

There are 3000+ views of this post but only 30-40 replies. Some 2,960 guys and gals are not cooperatin' but are takin' advantage of our honesty. Not good.

1. UW
2. UCSF
3. OHSU
4. Stanford

Pili said:
There are 3000+ views of this post but only 30-40 replies. Some 2,960 guys and gals are not cooperatin' but are takin' advantage of our honesty. Not good.

Amen. lurkers, get some guts and post.

Busted...I've been lurking, but I have also been trying to figure out my top three -- not in order as of yet

Duke
UNC
UVa
Dartmouth

Like Clay, I don't have my list quite finalized either.

Unordered top 5:
MGH
Stanford
BID
UVa
Penn

Hmmmmm... I still didn´t certify my final list, but so far my top 3 are:

1) Mayo
2) Baylor
3) BU

I believe I wont change it anymore... Let´s see!!! :)

Hb

nhs195 said:
NU
Wash U
Emory
BU

I definitely wouldn't put Northwestern above Wash U or Emory. I personally really liked Emory & would put it above the others on the list. I did an away rotation at NU & had a pretty negative experience. I don't want to get into details on the forum (I hate to publicly bash a program), but PM me if you have any questions about that.

My first 3 are the same as Hb (do you want to do heme/onc as well?)

Mayo
Baylor
BU

Not in any order yet:

MGH
Cornell
UCSF
Brigham
BID

1. Cornell
2. Montefiore
3. Mt.Sinai