Messed up my ERAS for fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nephrololo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
P.S. I did try looking up similar issues in this thread but failed to find them.

Apparently, there was a mistake during saving my previous work experiences (not much prior to residency as I was a fresh graduate)
previous work experience included 2 away electives during med school and 3 away electives during residency.

of course, when you call ERAS they will tell you an edit did happen but nothing can be done as you have submitted your application (had to submit early)

my question is; would touching on these experiences in my PS or sending emails explaining this issue help?

I will be truly appreciative of an answer

p.s I am applying to a very noncompetitive specialty ( in the lines of Endocrinology, AIR, Nephrology, CI)

Members don't see this ad.

P.S. I did try looking up similar issues in this thread but failed to find them.

Apparently, there was a mistake during saving my previous work experiences (not much prior to residency as I was a fresh graduate)
previous work experience included 2 away electives during med school and 3 away electives during residency.

of course, when you call ERAS they will tell you an edit did happen but nothing can be done as you have submitted your application (had to submit early)

my question is; would touching on these experiences in my PS or sending emails explaining this issue help?

p.s I am applying to a very noncompetitive specialty ( in the lines of Endocrinology, AIR, Nephrology, CI)
Uh…electives aren’t really work experience…unless you got paid for them.

No one will care about your medical student electives for fellowship. Had you asked, I would have recommended that you remove them. The only exception would be if that elective was at a site you were applying to -- then it might be worth mentioning in your PS (to that place) that you have some experience there. But even that is far in the past now and of unclear value.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

You mean you intended to include these away electives in under the "work experience" but failed to do so?

This is totally fine. And I agree that it is probably even better not to include. No one cares about medical school electives. And for the away electives, LoR from their faculty would be enough.

Electives are not work experience if you were a medical student or resident

You mean you intended to include these away electives in under the "work experience" but failed to do so?

This is totally fine. And I agree that it is probably even better not to include. No one cares about medical school electives. And for the away electives, LoR from their faculty would be enough.
thank you so much, I just saw your reply, it is relieving, matter of fact I already got 7 interviews up to now (I guess its the LORs, scores and PS that saved me )

update guys:

it didn't hurt much (I am getting good amounts of interviews from big names).
apparently, scores, PS, and LORs are more important than experience and thats what helped me the most.

again thank you all <3

I'm happy for you, but are you really understanding what we are telling you here? You said:

apparently, scores, PS, and LORs are more important than experience

Your current residency program is your applicable experience. No one will care about your student rotations. They were important and applicable when you applied to residency.

Not trying to make you feel bad or anything. But I worry that you will plan to try to talk all about these rotations during your interviews, and you should not do that. Unless the rotation was at the site you are interviewing at.

I'm happy for you, but are you really understanding what we are telling you here? You said:

Your current residency program is your applicable experience. No one will care about your student rotations. They were important and applicable when you applied to residency.

Not trying to make you feel bad or anything. But I worry that you will plan to try to talk all about these rotations during your interviews, and you should not do that. Unless the rotation was at the site you are interviewing at.
you actually read my mind!!, thank you very much, I was planning on speaking about them but it feels unnecessary given the most recent updates.