Ebete

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
Hi,

I was just wondering if there are any future docs out there, that didn't do so well in their MCAT the 1st/2nd time and eventually got in. I took the test a 2nd time for a better score and actually went down :( . Of course now I'm aiming for a much higher score (increase of about 10 points), but can't help wondering if there are people that were in this same/similar situation.

Thank you for sharing, E.

ASDIC

The 9th Flotilla
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
its all about improvement...if u take the test multiple times, the adcoms look at the trend of ur scores...if you are improving thats awesome, otherwise ur screwed.

dsherida

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2003
Visit site
Status
Remember that some schools will take your average, some take the best in each section, and some take best overall scores. Just look into the different schools and how they view multiple MCATs. I took it multiple times and my score hovered around the same value around 27 and yes I am starting school next month! Good Luck!!!!

AngryBaby

El Hefe
10+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2004
Somewhere in-between success and failure
Status
Medical Student
Ebete said:
Hi,

I was just wondering if there are any future docs out there, that didn't do so well in their MCAT the 1st/2nd time and eventually got in. I took the test a 2nd time for a better score and actually went down :( . Of course now I'm aiming for a much higher score (increase of about 10 points), but can't help wondering if there are people that were in this same/similar situation.

Guy I know scored a 23 on his first MCAT then only went up to a 27 on his second take in August and got into UT-H with a 3.5 overall and a 3.3 science GPA (not URM by the way).

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Ebete said:
Hi,

A lot of it depends on what you mean by terrible.

OP
Ebete

Ebete

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
Law2Doc said:
A lot of it depends on what you mean by terrible.
Terrible like 20 :oops: (although I have a ligitimate excuse; 1st trimester prego and lots of :barf: :barf: ; I know schools don't give a rat's a$$ about our excuses). Either way I'm aiming at low 30s now.

Thanks for the responses and the hope :)

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Ebete said:
Terrible like 20 :oops: (although I have a ligitimate excuse; 1st trimester prego and lots of :barf: :barf: ; I know schools don't give a rat's a$$ about our excuses). Either way I'm aiming at low 30s now.

I wouldn't bother applying with a 20. Study hard, take a prep class, and when your practice scores on multiple full lengths suggest you are in the ballpark of what you think you need, only then should you pull the trigger and take it. Good luck.

Northerner

Coquettish Haberdasher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Status
Ebete said:

No more babies.

chocomorsel

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
somewhere always warm
Status
Attending Physician
Northerner said:
No more babies.
I don't necessarily agree with Law2Doc about not applying. Apply anyway, you never know. MCAT scores at different schools have a wide range some as low as 19/20-30's. At least at my school did when I applied. I got in with a 21 on the first try. Some might argue affirmative action being that I'm a minority. A white girl got in with probably a lower score than mine or the same. She argues that one of the Deans told her that her score was the lowest of the incoming class. I promised myself that if I got anything above a 20 I would apply. I did, I applied and now I'm in my third year. I say, set a goal and if you meet it, apply. Doesn't hurt except costing you a few hundred dollars. But we all loose money in worse ways anyways.

Northerner

Coquettish Haberdasher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Status
You misspelled "thousand" and "lose" in the last two lines.

YouDontKnowJack

I no something you don't
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2005
Status
your chances are extremely slim now with a 20.

but there is still a chance. If you apply to the lowest ranked med schools, the worst case is that you'll be out several hundred $$$$ in application fees.

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I got a terrible score the first time around...then I went up 9 pts...so it can be done.

Psycho Doctor

*** Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Medical Student
chocomorsel said:
I don't necessarily agree with Law2Doc about not applying. Apply anyway, you never know. MCAT scores at different schools have a wide range some as low as 19/20-30's. At least at my school did when I applied. I got in with a 21 on the first try. Some might argue affirmative action being that I'm a minority. A white girl got in with probably a lower score than mine or the same. She argues that one of the Deans told her that her score was the lowest of the incoming class. I promised myself that if I got anything above a 20 I would apply. I did, I applied and now I'm in my third year. I say, set a goal and if you meet it, apply. Doesn't hurt except costing you a few hundred dollars. But we all loose money in worse ways anyways.
which school?

Dr Girlfriend

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2006
Dallas, TX
Status
Medical Student
Ebete said:

My advice would be not to take the MCAT unless you're ready. If you don't feel well, didn't study as much as you'd liked, couldn't sleep the night before, whatever, don't take it. You've got one more bite at the apple to improve that score. Pulling it up can be done. Good luck!

OP
Ebete

Ebete

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
Thanks for all the replies,

Although I am also a minority and have a strong/competitive application I was told by my 1st school of choice to try again. I applyed only there last year and they told me to withdrawl the application so I wouldn't have a rejection in my file (BS was the lowest score). I thought of applying this year again to other schools (incresed BS by 4pts, and went down 3 in PS) but I believe I would look worst if I have to reaply with a previous rejection, than if I apply for the first time. If I thought for a minute that this would not matter I would apply (its not the applicaton $$$). Either way I decided to wait and take the test again later this year.

Knowing it can be done is reassuring, God knows I want this bad enough :) and know I can do it.

Thanks for the responses and good luck in your studies!

Northerner

Coquettish Haberdasher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Status
Ebete said:

Although I am also a minority and have a strong/competitive application I was told by my 1st school of choice to try again. I applyed only there last year and they told me to withdrawl the application so I wouldn't have a rejection in my file (BS was the lowest score). I thought of applying this year again to other schools (incresed BS by 4pts, and went down 3 in PS) but I believe I would look worst if I have to reaply with a previous rejection, than if I apply for the first time. If I thought for a minute that this would not matter I would apply (its not the applicaton $$$). Either way I decided to wait and take the test again later this year.

Knowing it can be done is reassuring, God knows I want this bad enough :) and know I can do it.

No offense, but if your MCAT was 20 (or anywhere below 27 or so) you don't have a "strong/competitive application".

VCOMLover

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2006
Blacksburg, VA
Status
Medical Student
Northerner said:
No offense, but if your MCAT was 20 (or anywhere below 27 or so) you don't have a "strong/competitive application".
I'm going to be honest with you...I know persons minorites and majorities (whites) with scores that were below 20...and got in to pretty good schools...not Harvard or Yale but good schools. I think it's about making yourself known to the school...but not in an annoying way. It all about who you know...I'm in med school.

beefballs

MIDWEST
10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
below a 20, in a US allopathic-yeah maybe one or two in the nation but I find that very hard to believe.

EBETE listen to LawtoDoc- do not apply and do better- most schools won't even look at you without a certain min-and the mins I have heard of are like a 24 with 8's across the board. Although this is their minimums they expect higher

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
VCOMLover said:
I'm going to be honest with you...I know persons minorites and majorities (whites) with scores that were below 20...and got in to pretty good schools...not Harvard or Yale but good schools. I think it's about making yourself known to the school...but not in an annoying way. It all about who you know...I'm in med school.
Not necessarily true. A white male will not get into a US allopathic school with a 20 or lower. Who you know can only take you so far - it will usually get you an interview or a second look at your application, but rarely will it get you an acceptance - especially with a 20 on the MCAT.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
VPDcurt said:
Not necessarily true. A white male will not get into a US allopathic school with a 20 or lower. Who you know can only take you so far - it will usually get you an interview or a second look at your application, but rarely will it get you an acceptance - especially with a 20 on the MCAT.
Agree. Schools take their average matriculant stats in rankings and MSAR pretty seriously. You would have to otherwise be a pretty compelling candidate for them to totally tank their class MCAT average just based on "knowing" you. Contacts are great but usually you have to meet them half way -- more frequently most of the way.

dulceleche

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Status
Non-Student
Ebete said:

Hi,

What is your GPA? I know of people who had 28's who got in with a 3.99 to 4.00 GPA. What was your first MCAT scores anyways- 23? You have to also consider your background. Do you have economic disadvantages or social disadvantages? I know of people with very disadvantaged backgrounds who got in with low scores. I don't know your whole history so if I were you I would go to your pre-med advisor and get an assessment of your whole application. I would not just just focus on MCAT scores. I think you should focus on your overall application. Have you done any extracurriculars? You should do alot of them. Also, have you shadowed a physician and received a rec from them? You really have to present your whole situation on your application and may be you might have a chance. I would in the meantime think about retaking the MCAT while you are applying to show you are willing to raise your scores and use this if you do raise your scores as evidence that you can get an acceptable MCAT score. If I were you, I would first go to the pre-med advisors and see what their responses are. Then, if you must think about what you can do from there. Also, what types of schools are you shooting for? which state are you in? What is your academic background, eg where did you go to undergrad and what is your GPA and what classes did you take? I think you get my drift.

dulce

dulceleche

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Status
Non-Student
Ebete said:

You are a URM then? I encourage you to go to the school which you withdrew your app from and ask what was wrong with your application. If they say it was your MCAT scores, then ask what is the acceptable score. You must listen to their advice. This is not the time to be shy, ask them as many questions as possible and do what they, that is the adcom advisors say. Again, you are not out of the running. You must have a compelling story for the reasons why you can not score well on the MCAT. Explain this to the adcom advisors. If they don't listen to what you have to say then ask what you must do to get an interview. I knew of someone with an 18 MCAT score who got into a med school. He must of had some compelling story to tell the adcom committee. Don't give up.

dulce

yeahrite

10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
Status
Non-Student
chocomorsel said:
Thanks for those words of encouragement. I'm retaking and regardless of my score I'm applying. So thanks.

OP
Ebete

Ebete

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
Northerner said:
Obviously, besides the MCAT score! By the way this is not my personal opinion, but was told to me by the admit. director of my school of interest. As a matter of fact I was told I would be accepted with anything above a 21 (at least a 7 in BS, which was the problem in my first MCAT).

OP
Ebete

Ebete

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
dulceleche said:
You are a URM then? I encourage you to go to the school which you withdrew your app from and ask what was wrong with your application. If they say it was your MCAT scores, then ask what is the acceptable score. You must listen to their advice. This is not the time to be shy, ask them as many questions as possible and do what they, that is the adcom advisors say. Again, you are not out of the running. You must have a compelling story for the reasons why you can not score well on the MCAT. Explain this to the adcom advisors. If they don't listen to what you have to say then ask what you must do to get an interview. I knew of someone with an 18 MCAT score who got into a med school. He must of had some compelling story to tell the adcom committee. Don't give up.

dulce
I am in very much contact with this school and made many nice aquaintances and a few good friends (professors as well as in the commitee). I know exactly what I need to score, my only concern was having to take it 3 times and look bad ( as I am right now) To be honest I am so embarased about my test performance (especially since I was getting mid to upper 20s in my diagnostics) that I haven't got the nerve to call my advissor at this school (the admit. commetee director :eek: ) to discuss if I need to change my score goal to an even higher score now...to show improovement and commitment. I guess I should just aim for a 30, and call her already.
Thanks again for the responses, its nice to know there are more like me out there...caring and persistent :)

temmie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2005
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
VPDcurt said:
Not necessarily true. A white male will not get into a US allopathic school with a 20 or lower.

Did the white male apply to the private med school where his dad is a major "monetary contributor" or top staff member? did not think so

VPDcurt

2K Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
temmie said:
VPDcurt said:
Not necessarily true. A white male will not get into a US allopathic school with a 20 or lower.

Did the white male apply to the private med school where his dad is a major "monetary contributor" or top staff member? did not think so
Excuse me?

UCSFnerd

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Law2Doc said:
Agree. Schools take their average matriculant stats in rankings and MSAR pretty seriously. You would have to otherwise be a pretty compelling candidate for them to totally tank their class MCAT average just based on "knowing" you. Contacts are great but usually you have to meet them half way -- more frequently most of the way.
I also agree. It is rare for someone with a score below 20 to get into med school. But if you honestly think that you are one of those rare students with a 20 MCAT, then more power to you. I knew someone who got a 5 on verbal who go into med school...but she was also an NCAA tennis player and can speak 3 languages (and she was a minority). Nowadays, with the application pool getting more competitive each year, numbers are really important. Study hard and only take the MCAT if you're ready.

Northerner

Coquettish Haberdasher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Status
chocomorsel said:
In Texas, we only LOOSE a few HUNDRED dollars. Don't know about the rest of you. Guess we are doing better than most other states.
Well let's do the math. (don't worry, we'll go slow)

Texas has 7 medical schools. Most people apply to at least 10, although a conservative estimate for a person with lower numbers should be at least 15. Let's pretend the TMDSAS doesn't cost anything (I don't know if it does or not, but you seem to be doing so much better than most other states). EDIT: I looked it up, for some stupid reason. It's $115. For the remaining 7+ schools, AMCAS will charge $160 + 30 per additional school, which is $340. 15 secondaries at ~$100 a pop (we'll assume $50 since you seem to be a stickler) is $750. And let's assume those numbers caught you a few interviews....let's say 5. A very low estimate for transportation, food, rooming, clothes etc. to cover all the interviews would probably be $500 (most people spend more than that on one interview).

For applications alone (primaries and secondaries) in a conservative application = $115 + $340 + $750 = $1185

Including interview expenses = $1185 + $500 = $1685

The bottom line is that it's not just a few hundred dollars, but much more for the average person (the average Texan), and for a person with below average stats, that amount is very likely even higher. If you cut corners, you are more likely to end up being a reapplicant, which will multiply all those numbers by two, maybe more. Obviously, if you have an "in" like being a URM or serious connections in the faculty, this may not apply but that's not exactly something to gloat about.

But maybe she should try your way, what does she have to loose?

chocomorsel

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
somewhere always warm
Status
Attending Physician
Northerner said:
Well let's do the math. (don't worry, we'll go slow)

Texas has 7 medical schools. Most people apply to at least 10, although a conservative estimate for a person with lower numbers should be at least 15. Let's pretend the TMDSAS doesn't cost anything (I don't know if it does or not, but you seem to be doing so much better than most other states). EDIT: I looked it up, for some stupid reason. It's $115. For the remaining 7+ schools, AMCAS will charge $160 + 30 per additional school, which is $340. 15 secondaries at ~$100 a pop (we'll assume $50 since you seem to be a stickler) is $750. And let's assume those numbers caught you a few interviews....let's say 5. A very low estimate for transportation, food, rooming, clothes etc. to cover all the interviews would probably be $500 (most people spend more than that on one interview).

For applications alone (primaries and secondaries) in a conservative application = $115 + $340 + $750 = $1185

Including interview expenses = $1185 + $500 = $1685

The bottom line is that it's not just a few hundred dollars, but much more for the average person (the average Texan), and for a person with below average stats, that amount is very likely even higher. If you cut corners, you are more likely to end up being a reapplicant, which will multiply all those numbers by two, maybe more. Obviously, if you have an "in" like being a URM or serious connections in the faculty, this may not apply but that's not exactly something to gloat about.

But maybe she should try your way, what does she have to loose?
Who says anyone is gloating? Besides, she's already said it's not a money factor. Besides whether or not she applies don't the schools know how many times she's taken the MCAT anyway? I don't necessarily know if they know what your scores are or not but who takes the MCAT more than once just the kicks? They can figure out why. All I'm saying is, take the chance this year if she wants and if the rest of the application is competitive which you obviously think it's not given her low MCAT numbers. But while the MCAT scores are quite important, they don't define the whole person. Some people for some reason do poorly on the MCAT and fine on the USMLE and in medical school. Take me fore example. Just got my scores back and didn't do too shaby. Damn near close to avg. All I'm saying is apply anyway, and see who is willing to take the chance on you. The rest of his/her application may make up for her lower MCAT scores. Again, many people lose money in stupid ways anyway, so why not take a chance into something that could open the doors to one's future.
To the OP, apply now if you would like. If the rest of your application is considered competive. It's up to you. But of course your chances may not be that great now. Doesn't mean they are non existent. Of course if you wait, take some other review class if already tried one and maybe study for a longer period of time in order to definitely improve your scores which of course improves your chances. Test scores=important. But do not define an applicant. Just keep hope alive.

Northerner

Coquettish Haberdasher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Status
chocomorsel said:
Who says anyone is gloating? Besides, she's already said it's not a money factor. Besides whether or not she applies don't the schools know how many times she's taken the MCAT anyway? I don't necessarily know if they know what your scores are or not but who takes the MCAT more than once just the kicks? They can figure out why. All I'm saying is, take the chance this year if she wants and if the rest of the application is competitive which you obviously think it's not given her low MCAT numbers. But while the MCAT scores are quite important, they don't define the whole person. Some people for some reason do poorly on the MCAT and fine on the USMLE and in medical school. Take me fore example. Just got my scores back and didn't do too shaby. Damn near close to avg. All I'm saying is apply anyway, and see who is willing to take the chance on you. The rest of his/her application may make up for her lower MCAT scores. Again, many people lose money in stupid ways anyway, so why not take a chance into something that could open the doors to one's future.
To the OP, apply now if you would like. If the rest of your application is considered competive. It's up to you. But of course your chances may not be that great now. Doesn't mean they are non existent. Of course if you wait, take some other review class if already tried one and maybe study for a longer period of time in order to definitely improve your scores which of course improves your chances. Test scores=important. But do not define an applicant. Just keep hope alive.
Did anyone say that test scores define a person? That was out of left field and irrelevent. The entire post was about how much money it costs to launch a decent application.

Like I said, if she's got some angle, great - utilize it and have a great career, best of luck! But the world of medical school admissions does not consider even a 4.0/20 a "competitive application" without an angle.

Here's the real rub (the reason I'm wasting time on a "what are my chances" thread) - it's so goddamned easy to post on these low GPA/MCAT threads some encouraging "go against all odds and show them what you've got, miracles happen, and applicants are more than numbers!" and you get to come off as the cheerleading angel. But someone like me posts something realistically harsh and I have to be the nay-saying dingus. Thankfully, it doesn't really matter to me, and it doesn't really matter to me whether or not she gets a seat. If she really is capable, my sense of justice hopes she does. And I'm sure she will.

chocomorsel

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
somewhere always warm
Status
Attending Physician
Northerner said:
Did anyone say that test scores define a person? That was out of left field and irrelevent. The entire post was about how much money it costs to launch a decent application.

Like I said, if she's got some angle, great - utilize it and have a great career, best of luck! But the world of medical school admissions does not consider even a 4.0/20 a "competitive application" without an angle.

Here's the real rub (the reason I'm wasting time on a "what are my chances" thread) - it's so goddamned easy to post on these low GPA/MCAT threads some encouraging "go against all odds and show them what you've got, miracles happen, and applicants are more than numbers!" and you get to come off as the cheerleading angel. But someone like me posts something realistically harsh and I have to be the nay-saying dingus. Thankfully, it doesn't really matter to me, and it doesn't really matter to me whether or not she gets a seat. If she really is capable, my sense of justice hopes she does. And I'm sure she will.
Glad you called yourself on it. Whatever. All I'm saying is take a chance and it could happen. Most likely not, I'm realistic, odds are against the OP, but you never know. If it doesn't happen this year he/she can strenghten her scores for next year. Again, no one knows 100% whether or not the OP will get in until he/she applies. That's all I'm saying.

mychelle774

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2006
Houston, TX
Status
Pre-Medical
Northerner said:
15 secondaries at ~$100 a pop (we'll assume $50 since you seem to be a stickler) is $750.
Northerner said:
Actually, I think only 2/3 of the 7 Texas schools require a secondary. And at least one of them's free :) . Plus, most Texans I know will only apply in state to save on tuition. The case for applying OOS is much more for those who are aiming at the big ivies (or they just wanna get out of Texas :confused: ). Baylor is our ivy, and it's the cheapest! Plus we have an osteopathic school too, so we really catch the whole spectrum. That's why we're so lucky. :luck:

Northerner

Coquettish Haberdasher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Status
chocomorsel said:
Glad you called yourself on it. Whatever. All I'm saying is take a chance and it could happen. Most likely not, I'm realistic, odds are against the OP, but you never know. If it doesn't happen this year he/she can strenghten her scores for next year. Again, no one knows 100% whether or not the OP will get in until he/she applies. That's all I'm saying.
And all I'm saying is highlighting the old "but there is a chance, however small doesn't matter you shouldn't let logic and knowledge of statistics hold you back from your dreams!" doesn't help, when in reality that may be exactly what's holding them back from their dreams. Although, in this case due to the URM status, it might not apply.

I feel like we're her parents...

...maybe divorced parents.

"Your mother said what?! If she thinks I'm paying for those applications, she's out of her mind!"

Northerner

Coquettish Haberdasher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Status
mychelle774 said:
Northerner said:
15 secondaries at ~$100 a pop (we'll assume $50 since you seem to be a stickler) is $750.
Northerner said:
Actually, I think only 2/3 of the 7 Texas schools require a secondary. And at least one of them's free :) . Plus, most Texans I know will only apply in state to save on tuition. The case for applying OOS is much more for those who are aiming at the big ivies (or they just wanna get out of Texas :confused: ). Baylor is our ivy, and it's the cheapest! Plus we have an osteopathic school too, so we really catch the whole spectrum. That's why we're so lucky. :luck:
I feel like you may have brain damage, so I'll be gentle.

The point was that more than a few hundred dollars are spent on an application cycle for an average person, and even more for a person with below average stats. Since this thread isn't in pre-allo where it should be, go over there and look at the threads or threads on MDapps or whatever site it is and look at how many schools the average applicant applies to. Then look at how many schools people apply to who are concerned about their chances at admission. But you're right - you will save a ton on tuition...especially if you don't get accepted.

Applying with a 20 MCAT is one thing. Applying to only 7 schools with a 20 MCAT is like a hail mary. And while getting into a UT may be easier than most schools, the downside is that you have to live in Texas. So "lucky" is subjective.

Unfortunately I've turned from being the voice of harsh reason to "sarcastic condescender", but I'm only vaguely concerned. The brain damage comment probably sealed it.

flipanova7

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2006
Mid-Atlantic
Status
Medical Student
Northerner said:
To the starter of this thread:

Some medical schools actually say they do not penalize reapplicants (e.g. NYU, it's on their website believe it or not). My bet is that very few of these kinds of allopathics exist.

Some medical schools really dislike reapplicants without SIGNIFICANT improvement.
Some won't ever give you the time of day.

Read the fine print, go for the schools where you won't be penalized for at least trying(assuming you can afford all that application cost).

Don't hope for miracles where common sense tells you not to.

OP
Ebete

Ebete

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
UCSFnerd said:
I also agree. It is rare for someone with a score below 20 to get into med school. But if you honestly think that you are one of those rare students with a 20 MCAT, then more power to you. I knew someone who got a 5 on verbal who go into med school...but she was also an NCAA tennis player and can speak 3 languages (and she was a minority). Nowadays, with the application pool getting more competitive each year, numbers are really important. Study hard and only take the MCAT if you're ready.
I'm not a professional tennis player, but speak 4 different languages, own a business, raise a family, (also a minority).... these days the only thing I do not do is:sleep: . Either way I agree with you; I will be taking the test again, when I'm ready. The new testing dates actually will be pretty great for me. I will start in 2 weeks, and only when I'm getting the score I want, is when I will be taking it.
Thanks everyone :)

OP
Ebete

Ebete

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
To all:

I am not looking for any kind of miracle, I have always worked hard for what I've accomplished, and wouldn't have this any other way. I am ready and commited to work hard for this, I WILL GET THERE! Again, it is not the money for applications, but judjement from schools as a reapplicant, so be nice to each other!
My original post was to only to see if there was anyone in a similar boat as I am, and still made it there. Without my MCAT scores I was told I have a very strong application, which is another reason why they told me I did not need a high number. I will be emailling the school's admit. director today, to get an oppinion as to apply or not. I would love to start next year, but if I have to wait another year so be it; its not a matter of getting in, but when I'll get in. I will keep you posted.
To some posters if you feel that you are..."the reason I'm wasting time on a "what are my chances" thread) - it's so goddamned easy to post on these low GPA/MCAT threads some encouraging "go against all odds and show them what you've got, miracles happen, and applicants are more than numbers!" ... then you shouldn't waste your time doing so. As far as your realistic oppinions, am glad to read them and will take them into consideration. I am not a dreamer but a realist with a goal and more determination and stamina than a lot of people put together.

Again thank you all for your responses...keep them coming, its nice to know that future docs are willing to share their past experiences.

OP
Ebete

Ebete

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
Your PM is full

Northerner

Coquettish Haberdasher
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Status
Ebete said:
To all:

I am not looking for any kind of miracle, I have always worked hard for what I've accomplished, and wouldn't have this any other way. I am ready and commited to work hard for this, I WILL GET THERE! Again, it is not the money for applications, but judjement from schools as a reapplicant, so be nice to each other!
My original post was to only to see if there was anyone in a similar boat as I am, and still made it there. Without my MCAT scores I was told I have a very strong application, which is another reason why they told me I did not need a high number. I will be emailling the school's admit. director today, to get an oppinion as to apply or not. I would love to start next year, but if I have to wait another year so be it; its not a matter of getting in, but when I'll get in. I will keep you posted.
To some posters if you feel that you are..."the reason I'm wasting time on a "what are my chances" thread) - it's so goddamned easy to post on these low GPA/MCAT threads some encouraging "go against all odds and show them what you've got, miracles happen, and applicants are more than numbers!" ... then you shouldn't waste your time doing so. As far as your realistic oppinions, am glad to read them and will take them into consideration. I am not a dreamer but a realist with a goal and more determination and stamina than a lot of people put together.

Again thank you all for your responses...keep them coming, its nice to know that future docs are willing to share their past experiences.
Good for you - good luck.

thejesus

10+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Ebete said:
To all:

schools want high mcat scores b/c it is the highest predictor of performance on the USMLE (correlation ~0.7). if you dont do well on the mcat, be prepared for a career with frequent standardized tests and consistently low scores. dont also forget most schools let you take step I only twice, then you're out without a degree. not to mention you probably wont do well on step I and will not be a competitive applicant for residency. my point is that even if you did get in, you might not want to go. its an uphill battle for most, but yours will be especially so with no end in sight. (the mcat is only the beginning)

similarly, its highly unlikely you will improve >9 points--those data are published on repeat examinees on the amcas site. your chances are less than 1%. therefore, i dont see a 'miracle' coming your way anytime soon.

my advice... save yourself money and time ...go to dental school, or PA school, or get your RN. that way you can still be 'medical', make decent money, and have time for your kid. plus youll be done in 3-5 years (vs the minimal 8 for you to get your md).

if you are hellbent on the MD... maybe consider and offshore school or DO in addition to applying allopathic. theyre more likely to look past your low score.

OP
Ebete

Ebete

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Status
thejesus said:
schools want high mcat scores b/c it is the highest predictor of performance on the USMLE (correlation ~0.7). if you dont do well on the mcat, be prepared for a career with frequent standardized tests and consistently low scores. dont also forget most schools let you take step I only twice, then you're out without a degree. not to mention you probably wont do well on step I and will not be a competitive applicant for residency. my point is that even if you did get in, you might not want to go. its an uphill battle for most, but yours will be especially so with no end in sight. (the mcat is only the beginning)

similarly, its highly unlikely you will improve >9 points--those data are published on repeat examinees on the amcas site. your chances are less than 1%. therefore, i dont see a 'miracle' coming your way anytime soon.

my advice... save yourself money and time ...go to dental school, or PA school, or get your RN. that way you can still be 'medical', make decent money, and have time for your kid. plus youll be done in 3-5 years (vs the minimal 8 for you to get your md).

if you are hellbent on the MD... maybe consider and offshore school or DO in addition to applying allopathic. theyre more likely to look past your low score.
I have never had a problem with taking standarized tests, I just so happen to be sick on the 1st (running a temp, with the rest of the family the sameand not as ready as I would like to be) and pregnant the 2nd. time (having to run to the bathroom for pucke/pee breaks every half hour) So considering the nausea and the quick runs to the bathroom...surelly you could understand if I couldn't quite concentrate. Now if we could just stop making babies maybe I'll get to med school :laugh: :laugh:
As far as time and money; well I've spent money on worst things and waited too long to be where I am today. I have considered going to PA/RN school but after many years of working at a hospital ER (working with all the above) I made my choice and am sticking to it. I don't believe a single test is a good predictor of what kind of doctor you'll turn out to be, or a USMLE predictor, since I have also heard otherwise. Plus I have to take my status into consideration; I won't be prego forever :eek:

airferret

crazy, but stable
10+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
One thing to realize is that medical school admissions lies....if you read TPR Medical Schools (Princton Review of Med Sch) most of the schools claim that there average matriculant has a GPA or so much and an average MCAT of so much...

Basically, they inflate their numbers to attempt to have applicants self select themselves out (or to) them....I was intimately familiar with one small med school that claimed their average was 30, but I know of (factually, I knew the applicants and saw their scores) but know 12% of the class scored 24 or lower and several others in the 25-27 and 28-30 groups, and these are just those I can verify. To obtain the 30 they claimed required a large number of high scores to compensate. In all, I knew about 25% of the class, and base my appraisal on that year, and commentary of current students from the prior two year's matriculants.

A 20 is very hard to get into any school, this is true, but people have somehow managed (I do not think it right to mention which schools I know of...) Find your weakness, be it test anxiety, reading speed/comprehension, academic weaknesses, etc. Strengthen up, and be sure to take several FULL LENGTH exams, in exam format (tables, time, etc) prior to retaking it. You might also look into PA and DO programs, which have slightly lower entrance scores on the MCAT and still produce excellent medical people.

Good luck on your exam and admissions

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
airferret said:
Basically, they inflate their numbers to attempt to have applicants self select themselves out (or to) them....I was intimately familiar with one small med school that claimed their average was 30, but I know of (factually, I knew the applicants and saw their scores) but know 12% of the class scored 24 or lower and several others in the 25-27 and 28-30 groups, and these are just those I can verify. To obtain the 30 they claimed required a large number of high scores to compensate. In all, I knew about 25% of the class, and base my appraisal on that year, and commentary of current students from the prior two year's matriculants.
No school is going to publish an average matriculant score that they know is fraudulent -- it is false advertising (among other things) and they would be called out on it by other schools, which also see largely the same applicants, AMCAS which has the raw numbers, as well as resources such as US News, MSAR, TPR, which rely on the accuracy of these stats. It would be quite scandalous if published scores had no basis in reality, so one must assume they are real.
That being said, there are a variety of "legitimate" ways to present better numbers. For instance, one's GPA can be just the UG GPA or cumulative GPA (including grad school), whichever nets out higher. Or with MCAT you can present the average for each section, which may look better than the cumulative numbers. Or those schools who just use the best MCAT score in each section for folks who took it multiple times.

R*ckstar

10+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Some of the best advice I can give is to wait until you are ready. Do not take the MCAT if you are sick, pregnant, or whatever. Also, do not apply until your application is as good as it can be. Take your time, and make sure that you are doing the best you can do. Prepare for the MCAT like crazy, and if things go badly the day of the test CANCEL your scores! I have always heard that 30 is the magic number to get in to med school. I would be wary of applying too many SDs away from a 30. Best of luck to you.