Anyone accepted with a GPA 3.2 or below?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byahnoob

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Always been wondering if anyone around a 3.2 sGPA or below has been accepted here on SD.
I check the average sGPAs for different dental schools and see a couple with a 3.2 ~ 3.3 , etc. around that area.

then I come on student doctor reading a bunch of posts of people with ~3.8sGPAs asking whether they should consider applying.. :/

losing hope reading through student doctor

Members don't see this ad.

My sGPA is a little below 3.2. I got 7 interview invites and 2 acceptances. The rest of your application will have to be top notch, but its not a deal breaker.

Reactions: 9 users
Yeah, I have an undergrad GPA of 3.07 and a post bacc GPA of 4.0 for a total of 3.25 (sGPA and oGPA about the same, I was pre-health in undergrad and thus have a lot of science classes from there too). I received 3 interviews and 3 acceptances. 21AA/21TS. I believe the other parts of my app were strong, and I applied in June. Don't count yourself out yet.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I have an undergrad GPA of 3.07 and a post bacc GPA of 4.0 for a total of 3.25 (sGPA and oGPA about the same, I was pre-health in undergrad and thus have a lot of science classes from there too). I received 3 interviews and 3 acceptances. 21AA/21TS. I believe the other parts of my app were strong, and I applied in June. Don't count yourself out yet.
Where did you do your post-bacc?

Where did you do your post-bacc?

At a large state school in Virginia (it was an informal post bacc). I did not "qualify" for the formal post bacc I initially wanted because supposedly I had taken too many science classes in undergrad... but I'm not sure if that's the case for all formal post bacc programs.

Reactions: 1 user
2.9 undergrad, 4.0 mph. 20AA/20TS
5 interviews, 3 acceptances

YOU GOT THIS! :)

Reactions: 10 users
This thread makes me feel a LOT better.

Reactions: 14 users
For the class starting in 2013, 26.4% of the enrollees had a sci gpa at <2.50 to 3.24; for total gpa it was 15.4%.

Reactions: 6 users
I thought you had to do a "sciencey" masters if you don't get in. Looks like you proved me wrong. :)

After my MPH, I enrolled in an informal post bacc, just finishing up my pre reqs and retaking classes. Perhaps that was the real defining moment? Who knows.

After my MPH, I enrolled in an informal post bacc, just finishing up my pre reqs and retaking classes. Perhaps that was the real defining moment? Who knows.

Probably. And you have a great back u! What concentration did you get your MPH in if you don't mind telling?

2.9 sGPA 3.1 overall. 5 interviews, 4 acceptances you got this!

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is only one source: ADEA.

It's unlikely that the gpa tells the whole story.

Really good ECs, Shadowing experience, and LORs really helped. I was a leader in 4 clubs throughout college, and had almost 10,000 hours of meaningful volunteering. Average DAT 19AA and TS. I also wasn't anyones first pick haha. I got wait listed everywhere before being accepted from schools from Jan-March

2.9 science, 3.1 overall GPA --ended up with 6 interviews and 4 acceptances (3 of them on Dec 1) --with a good DAT and well rounded application it can be done no problem!

Reactions: 4 users
2.9 science, 3.1 overall GPA --ended up with 6 interviews and 4 acceptances (3 of them on Dec 1) --with a good DAT and well rounded application it can be done no problem!

Would you please share with us what schools you got in? :)

I got into ASDOH, Lecom, NYU and Roseman --I was waitlisted at BU and my state school.

Wow. congrats!!
Did you have a strong upward trend in your GPA or something that made your application stand out?

Wow. congrats!!
Did you have a strong upward trend in your GPA or something that made your application stand out?
Not too much of an upward trend in GPA -- but I had a very strong background in service and a few leadership roles in different large organizations during undergrad.

Reactions: 1 users
Not too much of an upward trend in GPA -- but I had a very strong background in service and a few leadership roles in different large organizations during undergrad.

I see. Thank you again and good luck!

if you don't mind, what was your dat score?

2.64 overall, 3.1 sGPA
DAT - 24TS/22AA

And I submitted September 30th.

You can do it! :)

Reactions: 2 users

did you do a post-bac or masters program?

did you do a post-bac or masters program?

3.0 overall gpa, 3.0 science gpa. 4 interviews. 2 acceptances. 2 waitlists.

Reactions: 6 users
3.09 science GPA, 10 interviews, 10 acceptances. When I first started reading SDN, I thought my sGPA meant I would never ever get in anywhere. It took a year at a post-bac to even get my sGPA that high to begin with. Don't give up! So many other aspects of your application are just as important.

Reactions: 10 users
I love this thread! Thanks guys!

3.09 science GPA, 10 interviews, 10 acceptances. When I first started reading SDN, I thought my sGPA meant I would never ever get in anywhere. It took a year at a post-bac to even get my sGPA that high to begin with. Don't give up! So many other aspects of your application are just as important.
What schools if you dont mind me asking??

Wow congrats! Very inspiring. May I ask what you did besides the post bac that put you over the top?

I just hope you have a personal story to tell that doesn't include partying too much freshman year. If you honestly have been trying your best and have clear intentions to do good in the world, I wouldn't be too worried. Just give it your best shot.

What do you think will make an applicant stand out who has a lower GPA?

What do you think will make an applicant stand out who has a lower GPA?

A STORY, goals, ambitions, genuine character, overcoming adversity, and above all else the desire to help others through demonstration. Those can be seen through EC'S, letters, PS, DAT scores, and interviews. Of course, so can a lack thereof be shown through such.

2.9 sGPA at the beginning of applications, six interview invites, two acceptances (all my advice is up on the blog http://braindental.blogspot.com/, gotten so bored waiting for school to start I wrote about the whole process... and I have a couple months to go). A LOT of people will tell you there's no chance, they did for me at least, but I was still able to eek my way into my top choice. It will be harder than if your GPA was higher but as long as you show an upward trend and your later semesters are all A's in difficult courses, it's not at all impossible.

Will 800 hours or shadowing and 500 hours to volunteering compensate for a 3.2 sGPA?

What schools if you dont mind me asking??
I interviewed at Buffalo, Tufts, Columbia, Penn, Temple, UNE, NYU, Rutgers, UConn, and Pittsburgh. Honestly, I applied fairly broadly in the northeast region, with a top five in mind.

Wow congrats! Very inspiring. May I ask what you did besides the post bac that put you over the top?
Thanks! My post-bac also brought my overall GPA to a 3.4-something, and I ended up with a pretty good score on the DAT (21 AA). However, I think the most important factor for me was definitely my personal statement, which I worked really hard on (my undergrad advising office encouraged me to start drafting it almost two years before, when I first began considering dental school), and my rec letters. I was lucky to meet and work with a number of wonderful mentors, and even luckier to receive really strong letters from them.

Thanks! My post-bac also brought my overall GPA to a 3.4-something, and I ended up with a pretty good score on the DAT (21 AA). However, I think the most important factor for me was definitely my personal statement, which I worked really hard on (my undergrad advising office encouraged me to start drafting it almost two years before, when I first began considering dental school), and my rec letters. I was lucky to meet and work with a number of wonderful mentors, and even luckier to receive really strong letters from them.

I see! That is awesome. I wish you the best! :)

2.9 sGPA at the beginning of applications, six interview invites, two acceptances (all my advice is up on the blog http://braindental.blogspot.com/, gotten so bored waiting for school to start I wrote about the whole process... and I have a couple months to go). A LOT of people will tell you there's no chance, they did for me at least, but I was still able to eek my way into my top choice. It will be harder than if your GPA was higher but as long as you show an upward trend and your later semesters are all A's in difficult courses, it's not at all impossible.
I love this. Thank you!

I got into ASDOH, Lecom, NYU and Roseman --I was waitlisted at BU and my state school.
I litreally have the same app as you.. got 4 interviews so far. One at lecom, another at asdoh. thats pretty funny

GPA: 3.2
sGPA:3.05
no masters or post bac

was accepted to multiple schools December 1.

Definitely doable! I had about a 3.25 GPA, 3.15 sGPA but did a masters program and had a 3.9. Pulled a 24 on the DAT and then pulled 5 acceptances w/ scholarships after applying in September. Don't stress it!

I would also like to know more about people with low GPAs and who haven't done post-bacc or masters!

Last edited:
3.1 total, 3.0 science, 21 AA, 20 TS - 1500+ hours assisting, strong letters, applied to 10, interviewed at 3, waitlisted at 1, accepted 1, and didn't hear back from the 3rd interview. THERE IS HOPE!