reapply2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I applied last year, if you are not in-state - good luck.

About the Ads

ASU-devil

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
tissy said:
I am. I interviewed there last year and liked it. The facilities are old but the enviroment was nice. I read your post earlier about the 18 in read comp I hope that's not true because that's my only 17.

OP
tissy

tissy

U.S. Public Health Service
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
Connecticut
Status
Dentist
ASU-devil said:
I am. I interviewed there last year and liked it. The facilities are old but the enviroment was nice. I read your post earlier about the 18 in read comp I hope that's not true because that's my only 17.
I got the email today about the scores I need to be considered for an interview. It was a really weird e-mail but here it is....the thing is I've never taken the DAT and the email says this:

"We received your AADSAS application and Dental Admission Test scores and examined them carefully. Applicants who score less than 18 on reading comprehension or who score less than 16 on any other section of the DAT are ineligible for an interview until they meet or exceed those minimum standards. Because your DAT scores fall below our requirement, we will hold your application until you retake the DAT. As soon as you complete the examination, please immediately fax your unofficial scores to our office.Please note, a recent ADA ruling limits the number of times you can take the DAT to three. This ruling takes affect on January 1, 2007 and will be retroactive.

Sincerely,....................

Hopin'

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
Status
Dental Student
reapply2007 said:

I applied last year and I got called for an interview (by the way... I'm from new jersey). However, I rejected it. I didn't have Anatomy and Physiology I&II which are required at Indiana. They wanted to me to assure them that I would take these class and finish them before I matriculate. Since I was sure that I wouldnt be able to finish these classes, I kindly rejected my interview. Moreover, although not a norm, they didn't cash my check and actually returned it back to me. The lady at the admissions was extremely nice and friendly. Actually.. I would've loved to go to Indiana.

Chrono1984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2006
Chicago
Status
Dental Student
Hopin' said:
I applied last year and I got called for an interview (by the way... I'm from new jersey). However, I rejected it. I didn't have Anatomy and Physiology I&II which are required at Indiana. They wanted to me to assure them that I would take these class and finish them before I matriculate. Since I was sure that I wouldnt be able to finish these classes, I kindly rejected my interview. Moreover, although not a norm, they didn't cash my check and actually returned it back to me. The lady at the admissions was extremely nice and friendly. Actually.. I would've loved to go to Indiana.

Did they specifically say these classes? On the IU website, it appears that several classes can fill that anatomy requirement. Reason I ask is that A&P is not on my agenda..rather animal phys. and comparative anatomy. According to their website, I am fulfilling all the pre-reqs with these classes.

Would you mind posting or PMing me your GPA/DAT, I am also out of state and wondering what the odds of receiving an interview would be.

Thanks

OSUDDS

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Podiatry Student
I'm applying there

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
You guys ought to post an interview schedule when you start getting dates. I help serve on interview panels, and every year I make a standing invite to meet up any SDNers who're interested. First drink is on me. ;)

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
Indianapolis
Status
Attending Physician, Dentist
Hopin' said:
Dr. Kasberg runs a pretty friendly ship. He's very pro-applicant, and really goes out of his way to help people improve their chances. He's a great asset to IUSD as far as I'm concerned.

Hopin'

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Chrono1984 said:
Did they specifically say these classes? On the IU website, it appears that several classes can fill that anatomy requirement. Reason I ask is that A&P is not on my agenda..rather animal phys. and comparative anatomy. According to their website, I am fulfilling all the pre-reqs with these classes.

Would you mind posting or PMing me your GPA/DAT, I am also out of state and wondering what the odds of receiving an interview would be.

Thanks
yea... animal physiology and comparative anatomy should be fine. According to her, you'd need one anatomy and one phys. classes (with labs). At my school, only A&P I&II (combined anatomy and phys.) were offered and thus I'd have to take these.

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
tissy said:
I got the email today about the scores I need to be considered for an interview. It was a really weird e-mail but here it is....the thing is I've never taken the DAT and the email says this:

"We received your AADSAS application and Dental Admission Test scores and examined them carefully. Applicants who score less than 18 on reading comprehension or who score less than 16 on any other section of the DAT are ineligible for an interview until they meet or exceed those minimum standards. ....
Hey tissy,

When was your AADSAS application mailed out to the dental schools from AADSAS?

Reason is I'm applying to Indiana, but never got an email from them. Does it take them a few weeks to process applications?

My AADSAS application was mailed out to my designated schools on July 21st.

About the Ads
OP
tissy

tissy

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
Connecticut
Status
Dentist
ArmoredTooth said:
Hey tissy,

When was your AADSAS application mailed out to the dental schools from AADSAS?

Reason is I'm applying to Indiana, but never got an email from them. Does it take them a few weeks to process applications?

My AADSAS application was mailed out to my designated schools on July 21st.
My AADSAS was mailed out July 24 so maybe you should be hearing something soon.

jewelsnz

Kiwi girl
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm applying there. AADSAS not mailed yet though :(

natedizzle

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I can't get into anatomy lab at my university, can and should I take it at a community college to fulfill their requirement? Will they even accept it?

natedizzle

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Dental Student
nevermind, I emailed them and they got back with me already. They told me to take it at my CC as long as I didn't already have a significant amount of credits built up there.

pmantz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Milwaukee
Status
Dental Student
tissy said:
My AADSAS just mailed out monday, I talked to the dean of admissions last spring and he was really laid back and straight forward. I am a Indiana resident and was told I just need to apply and not freak out during my interview and I would have a good shot. My GPA is a little below average but my DAT is above average so I am crossing my fingers.

Hopin'

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2006
Status
Dental Student
pmantz said:
My AADSAS just mailed out monday, I talked to the dean of admissions last spring and he was really laid back and straight forward. I am a Indiana resident and was told I just need to apply and not freak out during my interview and I would have a good shot. My GPA is a little below average but my DAT is above average so I am crossing my fingers.
Being an out-of-stater, I got an interview even with lower GPA and DAT scores than yours.... I'm sure you'll be fine and be the class of 2011 at IU...
Good luck

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
tissy said:
My AADSAS was mailed out July 24 so maybe you should be hearing something soon.
Uh oh! The thing is AADSAS mailed out my application on July 21st.

I still never got any emails from Indiana. I guess they don't want out-of-state students like me. Kind of like that cornfield school 200 miles west of Indiana.

issa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
Status
did they say that 18 in the minimum last year too?? if they didn't then this year will be tough to get accepted.

OP
tissy

tissy

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2005
Connecticut
Status
Dentist
ArmoredTooth said:
Uh oh! The thing is AADSAS mailed out my application on July 21st.

I still never got any emails from Indiana. I guess they don't want out-of-state students like me. Kind of like that cornfield school 200 miles west of Indiana.
I'm in the west coast..you should get an email soon..

KOM

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I hear they've received over 1600 applications already.

About the Ads

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Non-Student
KOM said:
I hear they've received over 1600 applications already.
Hmm, from what I heard AADSAS was only expecting a 10% increase in the number of applicants this year.

[worry]OMG most competitive cycle ever[/worry]

KOM

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2006
Status
Dental Student
armorshell said:
Hmm, from what I heard AADSAS was only expecting a 10% increase in the number of applicants this year.

[worry]OMG most competitive cycle ever[/worry]
Yeah, no kidding!! They told me they surpassed the 1600 applicant mark already yesterday and were closer to 1700. This is still the beginning of August too.

PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2003
Indianapolis
Visit site
Status
Dentist
reapply2007 said:
um actually its exactly the opposite my friend. they accept about 30 people from out of state and 70 from instate. i think having a 30% out of state is in your favor as compared to rest of the country. i would certainly apply.

good luck

zthang

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I just got an invitation to an interview with them in the mail today. My app was sent out July 24th. Interview option dates of oct 23 - 28

natedizzle

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Dental Student
zthang said:
I just got an invitation to an interview with them in the mail today. My app was sent out July 24th. Interview option dates of oct 23 - 28
Are you an Indiana resident?

KHANSAHAAB

10+ Year Member
May 19, 2005
Status
I got a rejection email from IU today;

cum: 3.19
sci: 3.12
DAT: 21/22/17

Canadian

Allstar99

10+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I'm a Michigan resident and got an interview today :). I'm sure the rest of you will too, good luck!

natedizzle

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Dental Student
good I'm from michigan too, can't wait to check the mail after I get outta work

zthang

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2006
Status
Dental Student
natedizzle said:
Are you an Indiana resident?
No I'm a texas resident...go...uhh....houston comets?? man houston's lame :(

carpedm

Case Western Class 2011
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Allstar99 said:
I'm a Michigan resident and got an interview today :). I'm sure the rest of you will too, good luck!
To all of you that have interviews lined up: Did you already send in the secondary application fee to IU? I haven't heard anything from IU yet, but I called a couple of days ago and I was told that they just sent me a letter in the mail?!? So I'm just wondering if it's going to be asking me for a secondary fee or just telling me what is next.

zthang

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2006
Status
Dental Student
carpedm said:
To all of you that have interviews lined up: Did you already send in the secondary application fee to IU? I haven't heard anything from IU yet, but I called a couple of days ago and I was told that they just sent me a letter in the mail?!? So I'm just wondering if it's going to be asking me for a secondary fee or just telling me what is next.
Yea that letter should ask you for the additional $50 and to pick an interview date.

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
^^ Yeah yeah!

I got that same letter in the mail today from Dr. Kasberg! :)

Asks for $50, a letter from me stating that I will finish all my prerequisites by spring 2007 semester (or prior to matriculating), and to check off which dates I prefer to be interviewed.

yaaay! Good news from Indiana made my day!

PS: (To Iowa and LLU, kiss my hiny) :laugh:

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
tissy said:
I'm in the west coast..you should get an email soon..
Nah, I actually got something in the mailbox from IU than the email.

But it's all good, as most of us here are in the same boat.

prez_al

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ArmoredTooth said:
PS: (To Iowa and LLU, kiss my hiny) :laugh:
You're a very bitter person :rolleyes: . I hope you get in Indiana because I don't know what you would do if you didn't... :scared: :laugh:

pmantz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2006
Milwaukee
Status
Dental Student
ArmoredTooth said:
Nah, I actually got something in the mailbox from IU than the email.

But it's all good, as most of us here are in the same boat.
When was your AADSAS mailed out?

UtahDad

10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey that is great news. That means that our chances are 1/1700 so far then (probably closer to 2000 by now). Not too bad for Dental school, huh?? Good Luck everyone!!

ArmoredTooth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
prez_al said:
You're a very bitter person :rolleyes: . I hope you get in Indiana because I don't know what you would do if you didn't... :scared: :laugh:
LALALALALALA!!! I didn't hear you! :sleep:

About the Ads