Anyone applying to Purdue University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prepharm1214

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applications are due tomorrow, i submitted mine 2 weeks ago (not rolling admissions). I was wondering if anyone is planning on applying there or had previous experience in applying there. Also could anyone help determine if i have a good shot at getting in?

Stats:
GPA - 3.43
PCAT - not a factor
-Pharmacy Experience
-Good activities and leadership
-Generally successful at interviews

If any other info is needed please ask so.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you from indiana? If not, you need a 3.5 gpa, or you do not meet the minimum gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you look pretty good on stats then. Im applying there too.
Good luck.

Yup, I'm sure it's listed on their website too but here it is from PharmCAS' school pages.

Application Criteria for 2008 Entering Class

Minimum overall GPA considered - 3.1 (3.5 out-of-state pre-pharmacy)

http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/schoolPurduepage.htm

It's why I'm not applying. They're tough on the out-of-staters. 3.5 is high! Fortunately for me, most schools don't have gpa requirements as high.

I dont exactly understand what they mean by 3.5 for out of staters. I live in Illinois but took all my pre-pharmacy classes at purdue, does that classify me as out of state? I generally thought schools look favorable at students who took their pre-pharm at the school they were applying to the professional program at.

I'm applying there too. I went to Purdue for my undergraduate degree (psych) and I'm an in-stater. It's really hard for non-Purdue students to get in, according to the head of admissions. Also, he said you have to have *something* in all areas of the supplemental - if you have a 4.0 and otherwise great app, but not a single thing to put as a volunteer experience, that's a problem.

You would be considered for in-state stats (3.1) since you took your pre-reqs @ purdue or purdue satellite (ie. Calumet, North Central)

Has anyone heard from Purdue yet? A "complete confirmation" or something. I haven't heard anything and I check my bank account everyday but they haven't cashed out my check yet. Should I call them and ask if they've received my application or should I wait?

Has anyone heard from Purdue yet? A "complete confirmation" or something. I haven't heard anything and I check my bank account everyday but they haven't cashed out my check yet. Should I call them and ask if they've received my application or should I wait?

Ahhh a check??? I think I must have forgotten to do this. Actually, I vaguely remember something about current Purdue students not having to send a check... I really hope that's it.

I haven't heard anything other than a postcard when I first sent in my supplemental saying "we got your supplemental".

Edit: Yes, I don't need to pay the supplemental fee since I am currently a Purdue student. *sigh of relief*

I'm applying to Purdue too!

GPA - 3.96

However, I am out of state (I didn't know they held preference to people in Indiana) so we'll see what happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied, but don't think I have a great chance. Gave it a shot anyway.

I got an email a week or two ago from Purdue asking me to send a nonofficial transcript of my fall grades. If you didn't get this, check your spam filter (the email didn't even specify what school it was - just had to check the address). Did everyone get this or have they started weeding people out?

I received that email. I do not think it was a weed out email. After I re-read it, it was only sent to people that required action (ie, sending transcripts to pharmcas for update, etc.). People that I talked to who had done this prior did not receive this email

Has anyone got interview invites from Purdue yet?

I heard you only get the invite a couple weeks before the interview (which is pretty inconvenient if you need to arrange a flight). So I wouldn't expect to hear from them for another week or so.

Purdue will send out letter by the end of next week.:)

I got a letter from Purdue today for interview on Feb 25 monday.:)

I got a letter from Purdue today for interview on Feb 25 monday.:)
Do you mind sharing your stats, and if your a purdue student? I still haven't heard much...I am a bit worried i never received that email a few weeks back asking for a new transcript, i go to purdue currently - yet a lot of my friends said they got it. I hope everything is still in order and i didnt mess something up.

Do you mind sharing your stats, and if your a purdue student? I still haven't heard much...I am a bit worried i never received that email a few weeks back asking for a new transcript, i go to purdue currently - yet a lot of my friends said they got it. I hope everything is still in order and i didnt mess something up.
if you are currently purdue student, you do not need to tell them your fall 07 grades, they can access thru their computer.

My status:
GPA: 3.9
Sci GPA: 3.85 i guess, not sure.
2 yr tech experience
undergraduate research in pharmacy field
volunteers and leadership
i am not purdue student

I received my letter today as well :) Feb 29th

3.65 GPA

Not a purdue student

I received my letter today as well :) Feb 29th

3.65 GPA
Do you live out of state? I know many students who go to purdue currently have not received anything. It makes sense as students from other schools would need to make travel arrangements.

I go to purdue and received an invite today for the 25th.

damn...I got nothing so far

Did you guys get emails or letters in the mail for interviews?

just checked the mail and got a letter with an invitation to interview. good luck all.

I live 100 miles from Purdue and am a Purdue satellite school student. A kid in my organic class got his letter Monday - I didn't until today. I believe I'm going to decline the interview though.

ya, I got an interview letter yesterday for Monday 25th. However, I am a little worry!! Does anybody know the type of questions, writing samples, or the communication quiz of the interview?

I live 100 miles from Purdue and am a Purdue satellite school student. A kid in my organic class got his letter Monday - I didn't until today. I believe I'm going to decline the interview though.
Are you in IUPUI?

for people want interview tips, interview database has descent information.

ya, I got an interview letter yesterday for Monday 25th. However, I am a little worry!! Does anybody know the type of questions, writing samples, or the communication quiz of the interview?

I did apply there too, but it was very close to deadline ...Would you mind share your stat, please? Thanks

Congrat! Can you please tell us what is your stat?TXS

I remember reading the communication part was reading some sort of passage while they videotaped you. I haven't heard of that test anywhere else, but what ever they like I guess!

Probably the best way to prepare for the other parts is to look at the different interview threads on here. There are a lot of different questions posted, and they really helped me prepare for the interview I already had. Also look at the interview database. :luck:

Hey everyone-

congrats to all that received interview invites. I got a reject letter. However, I expected it because I know that they are harder for out-of-state students (which I am).

Best of luck with your interview!!

Sorry for being late to reply! but my stats are:

GPA: 3.99
did research in summer
have very little pharmacy experience through volunteering
in-state student

I too got my interview invite, Feb 25. However, I would like to dispell the rumor about out-of-state applicants needing a 3.5GPA. I have a 3.12, but I did hit 99 on the PCAT. So keep your heads held high OOS applicants! Try again if you miss.

Kyle

I too got my interview invite, Feb 25. However, I would like to dispell the rumor about out-of-state applicants needing a 3.5GPA. I have a 3.12, but I did hit 99 on the PCAT. So keep your heads held high OOS applicants! Try again if you miss.

Kyle
Sorry but i think that has to be a mistake, they do not look at the PCAT at all - and by not at all i mean not at all. I don't mean to sound like a downer but i'm very surprised you got one with your gpa and not being a purdue student, you must have had some nice research or something.

Upon looking back on their site, I see too where they don't mention the PCAT in admissions calculations. I just expected since they used PharmCAS, they kind of looked at all of it.

I really am not that outstanding. I will have a Bachelor's by May 2008 and take 20 hours/semester at Mizzou. Over the past 2 years (since returning to school) I have been able to carry a 3.45 GPA, but most schools don't discredit school work done previously. I also have 7 years hospital pharmacy work experience and am looking for either the MSIA or the Ph.D joint programs.

Who knows, I may get there and they tell me I was a mistake. I'm not really sold on them either way. I am interested to see what they can offer me, but I have already been accepted to my #3 school with #2 interview coming up Monday. I see this as an interesting way of trying to expand my options.

Upon looking back on their site, I see too where they don't mention the PCAT in admissions calculations. I just expected since they used PharmCAS, they kind of looked at all of it.

I really am not that outstanding. I will have a Bachelor's by May 2008 and take 20 hours/semester at Mizzou. Over the past 2 years (since returning to school) I have been able to carry a 3.45 GPA, but most schools don't discredit school work done previously. I also have 7 years hospital pharmacy work experience and am looking for either the MSIA or the Ph.D joint programs.

Who knows, I may get there and they tell me I was a mistake. I'm not really sold on them either way. I am interested to see what they can offer me, but I have already been accepted to my #3 school with #2 interview coming up Monday. I see this as an interesting way of trying to expand my options.

Purdue don't look at your previous degree GPA. those credits you've taken long time ago, they don't care how bad it is.

Anyone know how the roads are from the airport to West Lafayette? I'm just asking because I don't have a lot of experience driving on snow/ice, and was trying to make a decision about taking the shuttle or renting a car.

Also, I'm wondering if the 3.5 GPA from out of state might have been accidentally referring to Butler, because I know that is specifically mentioned on their application.

I got a reject letter too. I was an out-of-state applicant.

I got rejected, out of state.

GPA 3.7
PCAT 98

good thing i sent in my deposit to midwestern. Part of my supplemental application to UIC was wrong so they will not look at it at all.

Also, I'm wondering if the 3.5 GPA from out of state might have been accidentally referring to Butler, because I know that is specifically mentioned on their application.

Nope, I saw Purdue specifically wants 3.5 for out-of-state on PharmCAS.

I got a reject letter too. I was an out-of-state applicant.

Sorry! Hopefully you got interviews for other places! :luck:

Hello everyone applying to Purdue,

I was reading the previous entries, I'm from out of state and got an interview. My GPA was just shy of the 3.5. I don't think GPA is all that they're looking for. Most schools are looking for a well-rounded person...So, for those of you with less than 3.5, be hopeful! =)

i don't understand why purdue has such high ranking in pharmacy school.
they don't even have a medical center on campus. most students were from purdue directly, no diversity, high preference towards purdue pre-pharm kids.

my boss told me that purdue is ranked high because 25% of deans of pharm schools were from purdue, of course they have to rank purdue high.

they do have a strong nuclear program, and industrial specialization.

beside that, i don't see any advantage at all. it is located in a very small town, you can barely find any internship opportunities coz all the retails were full of pharm kids already.