Anyone applying to Purdue University?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how the roads are from the airport to West Lafayette? I'm just asking because I don't have a lot of experience driving on snow/ice, and was trying to make a decision about taking the shuttle or renting a car.

Honestly, that's impossible to predict. The weather might be beatiful, 50 and sunny, and you will have no problems. Or there could be an icestorm - Indiana has certainly had tons of ice this winter - and driving could be impossible. Just give yourself lots of time to get there. Usually I-65 isn't too bad but I've definitely been stranded in Indianapolis before due to snow.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanx for posting that! I think I'll go with the car so I can get a look around. Plus it will save me money since I wouldn't have to stay an extra night. I'll just keep checking the weather!

had my interview yesterday, i did horrible. ;)
but whatever~

Members don't see this ad :)
How'd it go for you? Fill out an Interview Feedback if you'd like :)

I decided not to go to my interview.

It was just too expensive for out of state residents (at least for the first year).

I decided not to go to my interview.

It was just too expensive for out of state residents (at least for the first year).
i think you will need to pay out of state tuition every year don't you?
28grands is medium tuition.

Anyone care to share their experiences? I had my interview today, and was hoping it had went a little better. Although i may be completely over thinking it. There was a lot more i had to say but wasn't asked the 'right' questions but oh well atleast its over.

Anyone care to share their experiences? I had my interview today, and was hoping it had went a little better. Although i may be completely over thinking it. There was a lot more i had to say but wasn't asked the 'right' questions but oh well atleast its over.
50% of purdue kids who applied will get in. You don't need to worry too much.

had my interview yesterday, i did horrible. ;)
but whatever~

I hope it wasn't you that gave the most recent Purdue feedback... that guy didn't sound like he enjoyed it all that well.

I don't have my interview until Friday so I've just got to wait it out all week and maybe get some ideas of what to expect from you guys :)

I hope it wasn't you that gave the most recent Purdue feedback... that guy didn't sound like he enjoyed it all that well.

I don't have my interview until Friday so I've just got to wait it out all week and maybe get some ideas of what to expect from you guys :)
if you did your prepharm at purdue, you have 50% chance getting in. Last year their stat was 20? purdue kids applied, 103 get in. Usually I was told 110ish accepted kids are directly from Purdue.
If you are out of state, good luck!
If you are from other indiana school, the chance is probably 25%.
I wish you good luck having two easy interviewers, one of mine was kinda harsh on me.
The written grammar quiz was not hard, and the essay was easy too, they just wanna make sure your English grammar is good.
The speak part:
Read a drug monograph, and answear a easy question. You have plenty of time to prepare. They only watch those if they think your communication skill is not so good.

Get there earlier, the traffic was kinda busy. The last 5 miles after I get off highway took me 15 minutes. and Building is no where to be find. THe building have several entrances, and inside is like a labyrinth. if you been there, you know whoever designed the building probably was a C student.

Anyway, know your strength and weakness.

Thanks for the tips...

I don't like to trust statistics much... especially if they are against me :cool:

I'm an IUPUI student but I feel pretty confident I am a student that Purdue would want... but the way I see it you've got to be confident to go into the interview successfully.

I'm sorry you had a harsh interviewer, I'm not sure how I would handle that while still looking confident and comfortable.

Do you know the names of the two who interviewed you? I heard from a Purdue student that almost everyone knows who is interviewing them beforehand... well, not me, I haven't seen anything that would tell me that. I don't see what the big difference would be knowing who you get anyways, other than just expecting the worst :p

Thanx for the review fiorio! I am definitely going to leave earlier now. How long did it take you from the parking garage to the building? It's always hard to judge the distances on those campus maps.

I am excited that the Purdue union has a La Salsa! lol

i think you will need to pay out of state tuition every year don't you?
28grands is medium tuition.

Well out of state is 34K PLUS 7K for the additional professional fee. Correct me if I'm wrong on this? So even if I would get in state tuition after 1 year (which I'm not even sure about), that's $41,000 for a single year.

http://www.purdue.edu/Admissions/Undergrad/costs/estimated_expenses.shtml

http://www.purdue.edu/bursar/FeeRates/2007-2008/2007_2008_page2.htm#WL_Pharm

Q23: Are there any additional costs that I will incur?
Yes. Students in the Professional program must pay a special professional tuition rate. For the 2007-2008 school year the fee is set at $ 7002.00 ($ 3501.00/semester) in addition to regular in-state or out-of-state tuition. This rate applies only during study in the Professional program (typically four years), and does not apply while in the Pre-pharmacy program. The University Undergraduate Admissions office maintains an estimate of costs of attendance. However, the Univeristy's fee structure is complex, and depends in part on which semester you first enrolled at Purdue. Please see the Bursar's list of tuition and fee rates for Pharm.D. students for more information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Curtis L. Ashendel was one of my interviewer, the difficult one.
http://www.mcmp.purdue.edu/faculty/?uid=ashendel
he was there to get me.
I don't remember the other one.

Purdue kids may know something about the faculties, but it doesn't mean the faculties know them. They probably just say "oh these two professors are nice" and that's about it. Coz they don't take courses taught by those professors.

Thanx for the review fiorio! I am definitely going to leave earlier now. How long did it take you from the parking garage to the building? It's always hard to judge the distances on those campus maps.

I am excited that the Purdue union has a La Salsa! lol

My mom drop me off at nowhere to be found and it took me 15 minutes to find the building. I arrived the building just on time and then took another 5 minutes in the building to find where the info desk was.

I knew that you will have to pay for parking and get some changes with you.

Although I go to Purdue, I have to admit that building is numbered quite weird. But 15 mins to find the building? I thought any map would make it apparent where the building was located.

Curtis L. Ashendel was one of my interviewer, the difficult one.
http://www.mcmp.purdue.edu/faculty/?uid=ashendel
he was there to get me.
I don't remember the other one.

Purdue kids may know something about the faculties, but it doesn't mean the faculties know them. They probably just say "oh these two professors are nice" and that's about it. Coz they don't take courses taught by those professors.
Several of my friends had Ashendel and said he was a real jerk, sorry to hear you got him :thumbdown:

If you don't mind me asking, out of curiosity... what makes an interviewer a jerk? Making your answers seem inadequate or something like that?

If you don't mind me asking, out of curiosity... what makes an interviewer a jerk? Making your answers seem inadequate or something like that?
Interrupts you in the middle of sentences, one of my friends he asked why they should admit someone to the professional program seeing as you had once worked at a fast food restaurant, i cant remember what else.

hey!

I had my Purdue interview last friday and i LOVED it! I had 2 great interviewers (2 faculty) and they were soo nice! I am from out of state so I don;t know the chances of me actually getting into this great school but I hope to! wow 50% of Purdue students get in.. those are good odds..! What about for out of state?! During the interview they told me that they are accepting 160 students and interviewing 280 students.. so those are good odds.

I actually took the GOLD LINE BUS to the pharmacy building. It dropped me off really close to the building (I don't know if it was because I asked the bus driver to drop me off there or what) but everyone was really nice in helping me find the building.. the only drawback was that it was SNOWING SO HARD last week! waiting for the bus in my interview clothes while it was snowing was just awful.. but I made it!

I feel really confident about my interview too so I hope they liked me as much as I loved them!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!:D

Thanks for the tips...

I don't like to trust statistics much... especially if they are against me :cool:

I'm an IUPUI student but I feel pretty confident I am a student that Purdue would want... but the way I see it you've got to be confident to go into the interview successfully.

I'm sorry you had a harsh interviewer, I'm not sure how I would handle that while still looking confident and comfortable.

Do you know the names of the two who interviewed you? I heard from a Purdue student that almost everyone knows who is interviewing them beforehand... well, not me, I haven't seen anything that would tell me that. I don't see what the big difference would be knowing who you get anyways, other than just expecting the worst :p

so how did you do ? transcend11?

I think I did pretty well :)

I had two nice people, a Dr. Hudmon and then a male... which I cannot think of his name as much as I try.

I definitely filled up the 20 minutes, near then end she realized she hadn't been looking at the time and then said we needed to finish, so at least I was able to tell them everything I wanted to say.

I wasn't too nervous until I got in there and sat down, so then it was just a rush... looking back on my performance with any accuracy is probably impossible except with simply what I remember saying, so I'm trying not to over-analyze it and just let it ride it's course for the next 22 days...

Yes, Purdue applicants... I have been told by past Purdue pharmacy students that for at least 3-4 years now just about everyone will receive their letters the Saturday of the week after spring break... so March 22, or it will at least be very close to that date is my guess.

Oh and the oral exam was easy, and so was the writing and spelling/grammar portions. Plus I got to have a great conversation with a 4th year before the oral exam.

Good luck to you all :)

Oh, I'm very sorry PrePharm :(

You've got a lot of time left to continue working towards your goals in Pharmacy so don't feel discouraged. Many people get in their 2nd time around as long as they're qualified, since I'm sure you will reflect and learn a lot on how to improve yourself in any weak areas. Did you apply anywhere else?

I did not get my letter today. What I heard from a Purdue student is that for the past 3-4 years you will receive your letter on the Saturday a week after spring break, which would be this Saturday the 22nd...

...But now hearing that someone has started to receive them it must be any day now... the anxiousness sets in again.

Can I ask when you had your interview, and where you live? Maybe this can help better determine when to expect the letters.

I wish you the best of luck in your future efforts, PrePharm :)

i got my letter today and I got in.
geez.

Yayyyyy. I got in. I just checked my mail box and found the letter in it. I am so excited. Good luck everyone :love::clap:

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS ALREADY BEEN ACCEPTED! I'm still waiting for my letter! Do all of you live in Indiana? :):):)

when do out of state applicants hear from Purdue?

ya, I live in Indiana. I think it is just gonna take some time for delivering the letters out of the state.

ya, I live in Indiana. I think it is just gonna take some time for delivering the letters out of the state.

Hey! I actually JUST received my acceptance letter in the mail today!! (It comes in a BIG package):) and I'm from out of state! Good luck to everyone!!!:):):)

Hello everyone,

I also just got accepted. I was wondering for those of you out of state, what state are you from and are you planning to go? I'm from Cali and trying to make a decision on whether to stay in Cali or go to Purdue.

Hello everyone,

I also just got accepted. I was wondering for those of you out of state, what state are you from and are you planning to go? I'm from Cali and trying to make a decision on whether to stay in Cali or go to Purdue.

Purdue has good ranking and reputation, it focuses on industry pharmacy and nuclear pharmacy especially.
It is located in a small college town, all the drug stores around purdue is full of interns and pre-pharm students, so you will have a hard time find a store to work maybe.
It doesn't have hospital/huge health center within the campus, so during rotation years you will have to moving around in Indiana.
It is one hour 15 minutes driving from Indianapolis.
out of 160 acceptance,about 120ish are directly from Purdue pre-pharm.
You need to do community service during the first 3 years I believe.
the buildings are old.
It is probably too late for u to find housing right now coz it's a small college town, you want a apartment, sign the lease in January. Or you have to drive a little far.
The weather in Indiana is not very good, and it changes more frequently than a woman's heart.:smuggrin: Today you feel like Spring comes, tomorrow big snow.
Tuition wise, I heard Cali is expensive, Purdue, I don't think you can pay in state tuition after 1 year like OH schools. Living expenses would be lower than Cali definitely.
that's all I can think about right now.

Purdue has good ranking and reputation, it focuses on industry pharmacy and nuclear pharmacy especially.
It is located in a small college town, all the drug stores around purdue is full of interns and pre-pharm students, so you will have a hard time find a store to work maybe.
It doesn't have hospital/huge health center within the campus, so during rotation years you will have to moving around in Indiana.
It is one hour 15 minutes driving from Indianapolis.
out of 160 acceptance,about 120ish are directly from Purdue pre-pharm.
You need to do community service during the first 3 years I believe.
the buildings are old.
It is probably too late for u to find housing right now coz it's a small college town, you want a apartment, sign the lease in January. Or you have to drive a little far.
The weather in Indiana is not very good, and it changes more frequently than a woman's heart.:smuggrin: Today you feel like Spring comes, tomorrow big snow.
Tuition wise, I heard Cali is expensive, Purdue, I don't think you can pay in state tuition after 1 year like OH schools. Living expenses would be lower than Cali definitely.
that's all I can think about right now.

thanks for the info! So are you originally from Indiana? Where do you suggest out-of-state students live?

P.S. I'm from Cali too! :)

Hi Everyone,

I received my acceptance from Purdue as well, and I am from Cali. It seems like there are a lot of us from Cali. I will be moving out with my husband and four children, so probably we will be looking at buying a house. It depends a lot where my husband will be finding work. He is a nurse. It is nice to begin seeing who might be making the class of 2012. Congratulations!

I am in Indiana but I am not in Purdue.
If your husbad is a nurse, it would be easier for him to find a job in Indianapolis since all the major hospitals are in there.
I cannot suggest you any place to live because I don't live in Purdue area. Check city-data.com forum.
West-lafeyette is generally a safe place since it is just a small college town. If you can find somewhere close enough to live and that's good. I found the traffic was not very good for a small town when I drive there for interview.
I wouldn't suggest buying a house in West lafeyette unless u are sure you wanna spend the rest of ur life in that area. It's not a major city. After getting your Pharm.D. you can think about anywhere.

If your husbad is a nurse, it would be easier for him to find a job in Indianapolis since all the major hospitals are in there.
I cannot suggest you any place to live because I don't live in Purdue area. Check city-data.com forum.
West-lafeyette is generally a safe place since it is just a small college town. If you can find somewhere close enough to live and that's good. I found the traffic was not very good for a small town when I drive there for interview.
I wouldn't suggest buying a house in West lafeyette unless u are sure you wanna spend the rest of ur life in that area. It's not a major city. After getting your Pharm.D. you can think about anywhere.

thanks fiorio for the advice! :):)

Anyone have some updates? I just got my letter today and reject...not sure what to do feeling pretty down on myself.
I'm denying mine, so maybe you will be next in line.
I'm here to dispel the rumor that they only accept 3.5GPA from out of state. The PharmCAS page is wrong. They did discredit my older grades, but 3.3 was my science GPA and 3.4 total. The interviewer replied to me that they prefer to identify with the entire student's history rather than focus on GPA.
Best of luck PrePharm

Well, I'm on the waitlist...

I'm still hopeful.

Thank you, fiorio! That was very valuable information!

Unfortunately, I feel that getting a Pharm.D. degree from Purdue or that Cali school is pretty equivalent. Tuition is basically the same because I'm out of state. Therefore, I have decided to deny my acceptance to Purdue, even if it has a better name. Pharmacist are in high demand, I'll get a job anywhere I go! =)

As for you transcend11, there is hope! It's going to be a tough decision for most people outside of Indiana to make! So, hopefully more seat will open up for you! Mine definitely will! =)

As for acceptance to Purdue, I am out of state and my gpa is also a 3.4 (below what PharmCAS had). During my interview, I asked the faculty about rumor of out-of-state students being accepted at a lower percentage than others. He claims that the percentage that they have is for the initial cut of...meaning that is the numbers game for interviewees. Once you get the interview invite, everyone is on the same playing field.

Thanks Fiorio for the information,

My husband is a psych nurse and there is a psych hospital or residential setting in Wabash. There is a town called Logansport, which is halfway between Purdue and Wabash where I was looking at some houses. Now do you say don't buy a house in West Lafayette because we could never sell it? Which buying a house in Logansport -- or somewhere like it would be far worse I would think... Anyway, we spent 17 years or so in New Hampshire, so I know cold weather -- and I do love land and country. I am thinking Indiana is different than New Hampshire -- but in some ways similar. I don't really know. I am also guessing that living in those little towns when the weather gets "interesting" might not be such a great idea -- meaning I might find myself stuck. My husband suggested if it looks that way, I might want to stay in town. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Now I thought you said you were going to blow the interview ----- looks like you didn't. I have enjoyed reading your posts.

I guess it would be better for a couple to have a house. I said don't buy a house in West Lafeyette because I don't know if you wanna settle down in Indiana or just spent 4 years in school. The 4th year at Purdue, for rotation you have to be everywhere in Indiana. If your rotation site is far away from the house, then comes the trouble.
I don't know anything about housing value in West Lafeyette, I have no clue if you can sell it later or not. Not an expert in this field. I personally perfer big cities so I could be biased.
I don't know much about New Hampshire (typical New England state?)
Indiana Culture:
Majority is conservative republican Christian, compare to its neighbor states, more conservative than Ohio, Indiana will never become a key state in election since GOP always win. But it is more liberal than Kentucky, people are not gonna ask you "what church you go to" constantly.
The big things in Indiana are the Indy500 and Formula one. People are obsessed with the football team "Colts". It won the superbowl lately. Ratio station are 50% country, and 80s, 70s, soft rock, top 40.

Lafayette is not *that* small of a town - 56,400 people. West Lafayette is another 30,000. Granted, lots and lots of the population is students, faculty, or somehow related to the university - but it's not a if-you-blink-you'll-miss-it little village. It's not a glamorous big city or anything, but not everyone is into big urban areas.

I'd say Logansport is a little more... how can I put this diplomatically? hillbilly. However, that's based on limited experience.

As for student housing, I lived in The Lodge, about a 6-7 minute drive out of Purdue. It was really nice and I got a great deal. If you want to live within walking distance of campus, you'll either live somewhere not as nice, or somewhere much more expensive. Parking sucks at Purdue! You have to park at the stadium or way south of campus and then you either walk 15 minutes or take a shuttle bus - and sometimes you can't even find a spot - I've had to turn around and go home before. So I'd try to live within walking/biking distance of Purdue.

what apartment complexes do you recommend living in? I won't have a car so i'll need to use the city bus lines... have you guys heard of Wabash Landing?

what apartment complexes do you recommend living in? I won't have a car so i'll need to use the city bus lines... have you guys heard of Wabash Landing?
Most of the on campus apartments are rather expensive and in quite bad condition to be honest. Wabash landing is a nice area...tons of restaurants and about a 5-10 mins walk to campus.

Most of the on campus apartments are rather expensive and in quite bad condition to be honest. Wabash landing is a nice area...tons of restaurants and about a 5-10 mins walk to campus.

Hi!! Thanks for the information!! Is it near a Citi Bus Line though? I know it tends to snow/rain..FLOOD a lot in West Lafayette and I don't think I would be able to walk to campus under those conditions.. and do you recommend bringing a car..? (I live in California) If you don't mind.. where do you live?

Hi!! Thanks for the information!! Is it near a Citi Bus Line though? I know it tends to snow/rain..FLOOD a lot in West Lafayette and I don't think I would be able to walk to campus under those conditions.. and do you recommend bringing a car..? (I live in California) If you don't mind.. where do you live?
The Wabash Trolley goes through that area, but from the wabash landing it area it heads away from campus first then loops back towards campus. Time wise you would be better walking, but if the weather is adverse, definitely take it. A car is definitely nice to have but not needed, for times such as review sessions where the buses might not be running in mid evening. I live in Illinois but i stayed on campus the last two years, the bus systems definitely caters towards the dorms but i normally walk everywhere regardless. Buses are nice in the winter, but even still its manageable to walk with hats, gloves, and a coat without too much discomfort.

The Wabash Trolley goes through that area, but from the wabash landing it area it heads away from campus first then loops back towards campus. Time wise you would be better walking, but if the weather is adverse, definitely take it. A car is definitely nice to have but not needed, for times such as review sessions where the buses might not be running in mid evening. I live in Illinois but i stayed on campus the last two years, the bus systems definitely caters towards the dorms but i normally walk everywhere regardless. Buses are nice in the winter, but even still its manageable to walk with hats, gloves, and a coat without too much discomfort.

So do you suggest living on campus then? or are the Wabash Landing Apartments ok?