Anyone been a Peace Corp volunteer before going to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reaton

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently serving as a PCV in Kenya. I serve as a health educator. I work out of a small hospital in western Kenya. I will be applying to DO school the next round. Anyone else served as a PCV before applying to school?

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn't a PCV but did spend several months in Tanzania and Kenya during my senior year of college. It was probably the best experience of my life, despite the struggles (mmm, parasites!). I think the experience will definitely make you very attractive to medical schools. How are you enjoying it so far? Swahili coming along okay? :)

I was in bangladesh, loved every moment of it! enjoy your experience, you can always go again in between school or as an elective rotation for credit! good luck with school

Members don't see this ad :)
If I could guarantee I wouldn't wind up in some AIDS ravaged and tsetse fly infested village in Africa....I might consider it.

well you do get a choice! 4th yr elective is what you chose and if you can find a group that is going somewhere appealing. the carribean sounds good!