anyone been admitted 2nd time w/o 2nd time interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eedoctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
out of curiosity, has anyone ever:

year 1: interviewed @ school A
year 1: rejected from school A

year 2: no interview @ school A
year 2: admitted to school A

??

Members don't see this ad.

can you even get admitted w/o an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)

??

are you currently waiting for an acceptance from school A after no interview invitation in your year 2?

There was actually someone a while back (few months maybe? maybe a year) who claimed this very thing happened to them. Of course, it doesn't seem legitimate, but I don't know what ever happened with that person/thread.

I have heard at one school that if you are the very first person on a waitlist and don't get in, you are automatically in the next year's class. However, that has never happened as at least one person decides to not accept his/her acceptance so that first person has always been offered an acceptance.

??

This has actually happened to a friend of mine last year, although it may be an exception rather than the rule. He is a pre-med from Cali and applied for the 2007-08 cycle. He was waitlisted by St. Louis U near May (did not get in), and rejected by all others. He re-applied early in the 2008-09 cycle, hoping to get into a Cali school since he did not want to leave the state. However, he was accepted early (Sept - Oct) by St. Louis without an interview, and again was rejected by all Cali and OOS schools. Without a choice, he went to St. Louis last year as a MS1. My guess is he must be one of the top choices on the waitlist, and the school considered him qualified to be accepted in 07 except there was no room for him. So they accepted him right off the bat in 08.

??

Looks like the concesus is that it has happened, but it's not really something to count on.

I'd figure most schools would inteview everyone, even those they are completely intent on admitting anyway.

This has actually happened to a friend of mine last year, although it may be an exception rather than the rule. He is a pre-med from Cali and applied for the 2007-08 cycle. He was waitlisted by St. Louis U near May (did not get in), and rejected by all others. He re-applied early in the 2008-09 cycle, hoping to get into a Cali school since he did not want to leave the state. However, he was accepted early (Sept - Oct) by St. Louis without an interview, and again was rejected by all Cali and OOS schools. Without a choice, he went to St. Louis last year as a MS1. My guess is he must be one of the top choices on the waitlist, and the school considered him qualified to be accepted in 07 except there was no room for him. So they accepted him right off the bat in 08.

This is not really the situation the OP was referring to, though. Your friend didn't get a rejection and then get accepted without interview, they got a waitlist (ie: we like you but we're full) and then got accepted without interview.