Anyone decline an acceptance last yr and got in this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synapse

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did any of you decide not to go to a med school you were accepted to last year, reapplied with much better stats this year, and got accepted this year to a better school?

Members don't see this ad.

synapse said:
Did any of you decide not to go to a med school you were accepted to last year, reapplied with much better stats this year, and got accepted this year to a better school?

Ya, that's a good question. I'm considering that option right now. It's an unlikely scenario for me, because I'm pretty convinced a lot of acceptances are seemingly random and I wouldn't want to jeopardize my situation right now. Who knows, maybe this will change my mind.

synapse said:

Did you defer or just straight out refuse the acceptance?

If so, what about that school made you want to wait another year?

Members don't see this ad :)
OSUdoc08 said:
Did you defer or just straight out refuse the acceptance?

If so, what about that school made you want to wait another year?

Can you defer an acceptance and re-apply?

I got into low tier med schools because I have low stats and applied this year to just see what would happen. I actually would like to apply next year with my higher stats.

If you really want to get into a particular school, other than the one you are accepted to,then I wouldgo ahead and talk to the admissions office of that school and see what their opinion is. I say this because there is more than stats in applying to med school, and if they rejected you it may be for a numerous number of other reasons other than just stats.

A classmate of mine had gotten in one school last year because her father did residency there. But she didn't want to go to this school,so she talked to the admissions people at the school that was her first choice,and did everything they told her to do while updating them constantly, and she finally got an acceptance. So best talk to people in the admissions office.

Sorry edited to say that this question is directed to not the original poster, but the post below the original one.

By the way what's wrong with Stritch????? That's supposedly a really good school.

gujuDoc said:
If you really want to get into a particular school, other than the one you are accepted to,then I wouldgo ahead and talk to the admissions office of that school and see what their opinion is. I say this because there is more than stats in applying to med school, and if they rejected you it may be for a numerous number of other reasons other than just stats.

A classmate of mine had gotten in one school last year because her father did residency there. But she didn't want to go to this school,so she talked to the admissions people at the school that was her first choice,and did everything they told her to do while updating them constantly, and she finally got an acceptance. So best talk to people in the admissions office.

Sorry edited to say that this question is directed to not the original poster, but the post below the original one.

By the way what's wrong with Stritch????? That's supposedly a really good school.

Did your friend re-apply and then got accepted to her top choice?

Do you think it's a good idea to tell my top choice school that I have been accepted to medical schools this year and declined them??

Another SDNer, Treg, according to her mdapplicants profile defered from her acceptance at a canadian school and reapplied this year and got in to pretty much all the top schools; i believe her profile said she retook the mcat (did very well) and finished up her phd.

bump!!!!!!!!!!!

either choice-reject or defer, you will be competiting with the next batch of applicants. however, if you defer, your chances of admission is certainly better. my advice, you should do your best to accept/enter unless you have some extenuating circumstances in which it must be document if you intend on attending. i hope this helps.

I don't know what this thread is about, and I suspect I probably don't care too much about it. I just wanted to bury my praise of Annieshiro in here. This person is awesome beyong awesome. While I absolutely adore Runmimi and I am oddly fond of CarleneM (who I only brieftly met) and as such cannot endorse her very critical thread of these SDN-ers, I have to admit that Annieshiro has to be the wittiest person on SDN.

Now what were you saying about declining and getting accepted... or something...

I would like to know more about students who reapplied after being admitted, for one reason or another, what they did (retake MCATs, etc.), whether schools knew they were reapplicants and/or if they knew whether they had already been admitted the first time around, and whether it was possible for them to defer acceptance while reapplying.

So kind of GuyLaCreamPie (yes, the dirty kind) to interject his opinion here. Not much to do in the old free time, I suppose.

GuyLaroche said:
I don't know what this thread is about, and I suspect I probably don't care too much about it. I just wanted to bury my praise of Annieshiro in here. This person is awesome beyong awesome. While I absolutely adore Runmimi and I am oddly fond of CarleneM (who I only brieftly met) and as such cannot endorse her very critical thread of these SDN-ers, I have to admit that Annieshiro has to be the wittiest person on SDN.

Now what were you saying about declining and getting accepted... or something...

Yup, that's exactly what I did. The only place I got into last year I honestly hadn't researched that well. I disliked it when I interviewed and only grew to dislike it more after I was accepted and after a multitude of other issues arose I turned them down. The head pre med advisor at my undergrad basically told me 'beggars can't be choosers', apparently a 29 on the MCAT makes you a bumbling idiot in his mind and that I'd be totally screwed for the next year. But, I knew that there was no way I was going to make it through four years if I hated the place and there was not a single thing which had made me think otherwise.

I reapplied this year with the same MCAT, a slightly higher GPA and clinical research experience added to my app and I've had three offers of acceptance, including to the place I really wanted to attend (after properly researching everywhere which I didn't do before). I've even turned down 2 interviews (at both DO and MD schools) since I was accepted to my top choice.

My advice, do what you think will be the best for you both emotionally and professionally.

synapse said:
Did your friend re-apply and then got accepted to her top choice?

Do you think it's a good idea to tell my top choice school that I have been accepted to medical schools this year and declined them??

Yes, my friend is from Florida like me. This was her second time applying to the same schools. She had a decent MCAT but not super high or anything the first time she took it. She had gone to Northwestern and was a business major taking premed classes.

She had taken a couple classes at Harvard as well in the summer.

However, she had never taken more than the basic premed classes need to get into med school.

Our admissions director wanted to see that she could handle a full load of science courses at once. So she took all these upper level science classes like genetics and cell bio as well as grad level classes like immunology and developmental bio and got a 4.0.

She also retook the MCAT and got in the 30s but didn't say her exact score, just that it was in the 30's.

In the mean time she also did some research at Moffitt Cancer center.

All these things helped her a great deal. These were the things the admissions office told her to do.

This is why I strongly advise people to talk to the med school admissions office to see what the school of interest says they are looking for.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

mdg said:
I would like to know more about students who reapplied after being admitted, for one reason or another, what they did (retake MCATs, etc.), whether schools knew they were reapplicants and/or if they knew whether they had already been admitted the first time around, and whether it was possible for them to defer acceptance while reapplying.

See my post above this one.

I have a few more complicated questions about reapplying. I am thinking of retaking the MCAT this August (because I spent so much time waiting for answers from schools that I didn't study for the April test). Basically, if I were to reapply this summer before the August test, I would have an extra year of research that I've done with another paper out, but I'm sure this would not be enough of a change to my application without the significant increase in MCAT. So, I'm wondering what people do in their "re"applications to let schools know why they should reconsider.

Are all essays changed? Do schools even remember your application?

I've tried contacting my top choice schools to see how I could be a better applicant next time around, but they won't discuss the application with me after decisions are made.

I'm very much afraid of going through this process all over again for nothing.

Somebody posted about me below. I am a reapplicant, you can read about my details in my profile. I took the MCAT in Aug. 2003 and did poorly (only studied about 3 weeks). I applied to a few US schools and a couple of Canadian schools, knowing that I would have to defer a year to finish my PhD (although I did NOT hint that at all in my applications). I was accepted at a Canadian school, which allowed me to defer and reapply elsewhere. I was waitlisted, rejected, and then miraculously accepted with my new high April 2004 MCAT score (studied TONS for 2.5 months) at Einstein. Couldn't defer since I was accepted over the summer, so I declined my spot. I reapplied, early, to a select cohort of schools that suited my research. I had a better PS, stronger CV, and amazing letters from scientists and academic clinicians. Anyway, I would only recommend someone to reapply after getting accepted somewhere if you have a major change in your app (for me it was the MCAT). Also, for what it's worth, I got rejected without interview both years at Yale. :) Treg

would retaking the MCAT this august be too late to show any significant improvement in my applications if I were to reapply now?

mdg said:
\

I've tried contacting my top choice schools to see how I could be a better applicant next time around, but they won't discuss the application with me after decisions are made.

I'm very much afraid of going through this process all over again for nothing.

Are you serious? Schools wouldn't tell you what was wrong with your application?!

that's right! I tried asking several, one in particular was almost rude, telling me I should just try to accept an offer elsewhere and that they would not discuss my application with me. I am trying to talk to several people at these places to see if I could get some useful info from someone.