Anyone else a floater pharmacist for Walgreens?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crossurfingers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
They're sending me to a store 60 miles away from where I live. They compensate me 2 hours for driving, but still. I've heard from others that you can technically say "no". I tried saying no (I'd rather have the day off) but they told me there were no other shifts open at closer locations and if I didn't work, I would have to take a day off (use up a vacation day). Here's the catch. They say they cannot approve that vacation day because that shift they were offering me still needs coverage.

Someone please tell me how this is supposed to work. This is the second time something like this has happened to me and I feel like they're tricking me into taking these shifts that no one else wants. Am I not firm enough in my "no" answer? I don't even care if I get a paid day off, I just want to be off!

Members don't see this ad.

Is this an extra shift they want you to pick up on your regularly scheduled day off? I think being firm is the key. If all else fails tell them you can't because you have a doctors appointment or some other random thing. Walgreens is notorious for abusing floaters. Once they figure out they can abuse you they will and often. Honestly just tell them no and leave it at that. Its not like they are going to fire you and if they do its your gain.

This isn't an extra shift. I am 'on call' the whole day so I go wherever they need coverage but it's supposed to be within my district or a reasonable distance away (30 miles). So, if I were to say no and got the day off I would need to use one of my vacation days so I wouldn't go under my usual 80 hours per week. They say that they cannot approve a vacation day if there are open shifts that need to be covered. So pretty much, I'm stuck going somewhere really far even if I don't want to. I don't understand why people tell me I can say no but when I do they explain the situation and I get stuck doing it anyway. I'm going to try to ask one of the other pharmacists I know, but I was wondering if people on here know about this too.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds to me like your saying no but not really saying NO. Simply tell them it is out of your district and too far away and you are not going to do it and end the conversation. Thats what I mean by being firm.

damn cross

you were the same person who posted here a couple weeks ago about being nervous your first day of work

yea, walgreens is known to abuse their "new hires"

especially to stores where NOBODY wants to work........crazy customers, poor staff, 60+ miles away..........

they pretty much are FORCING you to work since you said NO and they still come back with "not approving" the vacation

sorry to hear you have so many problems so soon

you should definitely call another, more seasoned, floating pharmacist that you know in the area and ask them for advice

good luck

call human resources. They seem to be putting you in a catch 22. If they cant find you hours in a reasonable driving distance, that seems to be their problem, not yours. Dont let a corporation bully you.

This isn't an extra shift. I am 'on call' the whole day so I go wherever they need coverage but it's supposed to be within my district or a reasonable distance away (30 miles). So, if I were to say no and got the day off I would need to use one of my vacation days so I wouldn't go under my usual 80 hours per week. They say that they cannot approve a vacation day if there are open shifts that need to be covered. So pretty much, I'm stuck going somewhere really far even if I don't want to. I don't understand why people tell me I can say no but when I do they explain the situation and I get stuck doing it anyway. I'm going to try to ask one of the other pharmacists I know, but I was wondering if people on here know about this too.

Simply tell them no. If they refuse the vacation day tell them fine. But your not driving 60 miles. Do they give you milage too? Is there any documnetation they would only have you drive 30 miles/in the district.

Walgreens abuses everybody - interns, new hires, and pharmacists. Get another job.

The screwballs still haven't sent me my W-2. I report them to the IRS tomorrow.

I have a regular store two days a week and float the other days. The scheduler for my area never sends me out of my district. However, Tampa has too many pharmacists. Sometimes they send floaters up to my district, even when we don't need them. They give them a mid-shift in a store that doesn't really need a mid.

The stores I float to are the busy 24-hour stores that do 500-800 per day. I get sent to these stores because I can handle the workload. I have very few "quality related events", I am good with patients, I phone doctors to question scripts, and I am pretty fast at reviewing and verifying fills.

One time I did accidentally get scheduled to work out at Treasure Island beach in St. Petersburg. This would have been a 2 hour drive for me. I pointed it out to my scheduler and it got changed. I have a good relationship with both my pharmacy supervisor and my scheduler. You need to get to know yours and let them know what you want and need.

Where are you floating like this...being "on-call"?

its called flexible market schedule... but it really should be changed to "we can change your hours whenever we want, and send you where ever we want".

You gotta becareful. Walgreen's is one of those companies that if you piss off the wrong people, you will be floating forever.

Where are you floating like this...being "on-call"?

No, I am given a schedule several weeks in advance. If a regular pharmacist calls out sick, then they will find a floater to fill in. They phone and ask you if you are willing to do that shift. Just say "no" and they will find someone else.

Rumor has it that I will not be floating after this month.:D

They're sending me to a store 60 miles away from where I live. They compensate me 2 hours for driving, but still. I've heard from others that you can technically say "no". I tried saying no (I'd rather have the day off) but they told me there were no other shifts open at closer locations and if I didn't work, I would have to take a day off (use up a vacation day). Here's the catch. They say they cannot approve that vacation day because that shift they were offering me still needs coverage.

Someone please tell me how this is supposed to work. This is the second time something like this has happened to me and I feel like they're tricking me into taking these shifts that no one else wants. Am I not firm enough in my "no" answer? I don't even care if I get a paid day off, I just want to be off!
Where are you on-call like this? how long have you been floating?

I only work every other weekend, but I have regular store and shifts. It depends on the district policy (some like to shuffle people around, some like to keep them as permanently placed as possible) and also on your seniority. The more you have, the less running around you are given. With my six years, had I wanted to do retail full-time, I would probably have my own store either right away or within a month at most, judging by others with equivalent years of service.

I don't understand why people tell me I can say no but when I do they explain the situation and I get stuck doing it anyway.

Tell them you are calling in "sick" (carsick from too much driving. You can tell them no, because they aren't going to fire you. Walgreens, like most places, will not let a good pharmacist go over something like this, given the current pharmacist shortage. Now if you signed a contract....or if you are a bad pharmacist.....well, then I guess you are stuck.

The squeak wheel gets the oil. Walgreens (and most other employers) will take and take and take, as long as you are willing to go. You have to be firm. If something is unacceptable tell them. Say "When I hired on, it was only to work within District A or within 30 miles of point B. I will no longer work outside of those paramaters. I understand you can't approve my vacation day and have no other shifts for me to work. I have to go now, I'll look forward to your call tomorrow with a shift assignment within District A or within 30 miles of point B." Then hang up. Do NOT answer the phone when they call back. Don't even listen to a guilt-inducing message they might leave you. Be assertive.

I have a regular store two days a week and float the other days. The scheduler for my area never sends me out of my district. However, Tampa has too many pharmacists. Sometimes they send floaters up to my district, even when we don't need them. They give them a mid-shift in a store that doesn't really need a mid..

Wow, I think I may have met you before...Anyhow, that's disconcerting to hear that Tampa has too many pharmacists.

I have a regular store two days a week and float the other days. The scheduler for my area never sends me out of my district. However, Tampa has too many pharmacists. Sometimes they send floaters up to my district, even when we don't need them. They give them a mid-shift in a store that doesn't really need a mid.

The stores I float to are the busy 24-hour stores that do 500-800 per day. I get sent to these stores because I can handle the workload. I have very few "quality related events", I am good with patients, I phone doctors to question scripts, and I am pretty fast at reviewing and verifying fills.

One time I did accidentally get scheduled to work out at Treasure Island beach in St. Petersburg. This would have been a 2 hour drive for me. I pointed it out to my scheduler and it got changed. I have a good relationship with both my pharmacy supervisor and my scheduler. You need to get to know yours and let them know what you want and need.
Somebody doesn't have a low self-esteem. Get over yourself.

i can relate, but we all go thru the trenches before getting a good situation

i floated for 6 weeks in the worst areas known to men, yet i did a good job and now i am staffing at a 400+ store