Anyone else feel pressure to NOT work hard from residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChordaEpiphany

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm halfway through MS3 and until now had sort of "figured out" how to do well with attendings and residents. On most rotations I didn't really get excited about the medicine at all and just wanted to help patients in whatever small ways I could and survive the rotation. I was more sharp and composed around attendings and just sort of matched their intensity. With residents I just avoided any try-hard behavior and left as early as possible to go study for the shelf. The result has been great evals and shelf scores.

Now I'm on IM and genuinely loving the material. I get really excited about patients with cool pathology and often want to dive deep. I have absolutely no problem going a bit out of my way to help a patient understand their condition, learn to do a procedure, or see an interesting finding. This stuff will actually be useful to me in residency. Attendings love the enthusiasm, but residents seem ambivalent or even put off. I feel like I'm getting pressure from the chief resident to just leave immediately after rounds. I think it's coming from a good place (i.e., "I just wanted to leave as a med student, so I'm going to make sure my med students leave early"). As far as I can tell, my presence isn't a burden. I'm picking up scut appropriately to ease burden on the interns (e.g., calling family, writing notes, writing d/c instructions, etc...). And to be clear, if a resident tells me to go, I go. I'm not buzzing around. Seems like the vibes are overall pretty good. By no means am I clashing with anyone. It just sucks to get actively encouraged to stop trying when I'm simply excited and engaged.

I know what I have to do. I have another week with this team, and I'm going to mellow, care less, and make whatever personal connections I can. The irony is that to get good evals I have to stop trying hard, which is coming from a place of genuine interest, and be insincere so that I can avoid looking like I'm being insincere just to get good evals. This is absolutely exhausting.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I'm halfway through MS3 and until now had sort of "figured out" how to do well with attendings and residents. On most rotations I didn't really get excited about the medicine at all and just wanted to help patients in whatever small ways I could and survive the rotation. I was more sharp and composed around attendings and just sort of matched their intensity. With residents I just avoided any try-hard behavior and left as early as possible to go study for the shelf. The result has been great evals and shelf scores.

Now I'm on IM and genuinely loving the material. I get really excited about patients with cool pathology and often want to dive deep. I have absolutely no problem going a bit out of my way to help a patient understand their condition, learn to do a procedure, or see an interesting finding. This stuff will actually be useful to me in residency. Attendings love the enthusiasm, but residents seem ambivalent or even put off. I feel like I'm getting pressure from the chief resident to just leave immediately after rounds. I think it's coming from a good place (i.e., "I just wanted to leave as a med student, so I'm going to make sure my med students leave early"). As far as I can tell, my presence isn't a burden. I'm picking up scut appropriately to ease burden on the interns (e.g., calling family, writing notes, writing d/c instructions, etc...). And to be clear, if a resident tells me to go, I go. I'm not buzzing around. Seems like the vibes are overall pretty good. By no means am I clashing with anyone. It just sucks to get actively encouraged to stop trying when I'm simply excited and engaged.

I know what I have to do. I have another week with this team, and I'm going to mellow, care less, and make whatever personal connections I can. The irony is that to get good evals I have to stop trying hard, which is coming from a place of genuine interest, and be insincere so that I can avoid looking like I'm being insincere just to get good evals. This is absolutely exhausting.
You stay as long as you want & learn what's going on with your patients.
It's very odd to me that the residents are asking you to scram.
When I was chief resident I put my med students to work!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
When they were medical students they were probably annoyed when their seniors didn't tell them to leave or only gave vague indications when it was time to go, so they probably think they're doing you a favor.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have absolutely no problem going a bit out of my way to help a patient understand their condition, learn to do a procedure, or see an interesting finding. This stuff will actually be useful to me in residency.

It just sucks to get actively encouraged to stop trying when I'm simply excited and engaged.

Might be a generational thing. Might be a personality thing. Might be a lazy thing, because teaching is a lot of extra work. In fact, most of what you describe as "trying" is actually more work for the team.

It's also possible you have a total lack of insight, which I've seen before in several "enthusiastic" medical students. The terrible thing is that you can't really know.

Just be honest. And grateful. "Thank you so much. I really appreciate that. I love this rotation. Here's my number in case the team needs any help. I'm going to use the extra time to do XYZ" or "go spend time with the attending." You're not going to learn too much more in one week.

It's swings and roundabouts with rotations, and nobody gets a perfect experience. Embrace it and move on.

Reactions: 1 user

I don’t know, I’m too old and mostly find interacting with residents to be insufferable, slowing down rounds, presenting inaccurate data and coming up with pointless plans. If I could actually be efficient and putting in my own orders at my old age and cut out the rest, I’d get done with rounds in half the time.

You sound you belong in critical care though :shifty:. The place where the wheels really come off… also a great place to do science.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hmm
I don’t know, I’m too old and mostly find interacting with residents to be insufferable, slowing down rounds, presenting inaccurate data and coming up with pointless plans. If I could actually be efficient and putting in my own orders at my old age and cut out the rest, I’d get done with rounds in half the time.

You sound you belong in critical care though :shifty:. The place where the wheels really come off… also a great place to do science.

Show me a medical student who only triples my workload, and I will kiss their feet.

• Haha
I feel like the replies in this thread is a perfect representation of why SDN is on the decline and r/medicalschool is more popular than ever. All of these replies just do not reflect the views of most med students, residents, or young attendings.

It's more than fine to not be worked to death right now. 3rd year is to explore your interests, prepare for shelf/step, build your general clinical skills/acumen, and maybe do some minor scutwork on the side. Younger med folks get this. The Old Guard are still hung up on this idea that Step 2 requires 2 weeks of flipping through First Aid 2003 to ace the exam, while the rest of our time should be "working hard to prepare for the brutality of residency! Back in my day, we didn't have work-hour limits and we had rounds that was uphill both ways...in the snow!"
1702219123845.gif

Don't worry about it right now. You'll get to indulge a lot more of this work during 4th year Sub-Is and enough of it to make you hate it during intern year.

The fact that you found what you really love and are scoring well means you officially beat the game. Now go home and play some Baldurs Gate 3 or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
why SDN is on the decline and r/medicalschool is more popular than ever.
r/medicalschool is 100% infinitely better than SDN! There is no place that confirms your bias and reaffirms maladaptive behaviors like Reddit!

Q: Should I rank a program with known VHCOL and I’m fully aware beforehand that I will not be able to afford my current lifestyle of eating out every night and using Uber everywhere I go?!?

Top reply: F&$@ boomers! You aren’t responsible for the consequences of your actions!!!

Q: I perceived a possible micro aggression… what should I do?!?

Top reply: I only see one possible recourse for this, report the bigot to HR and get them fired!

Back in the day their meme game was at least fresh, now it’s trash. No memes, no diversity of thought… Painfully banal.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 15 users
yeah SDN has traditionally been where you go for truth and tough love. Lots of people at all career stages here too; I’m guessing not many attendings hanging around the Reddit threads.

OP, this is always a tough call and varies so much with the quality of your residents. When I was struggling as a resident I was a lousy teacher; when I got good, I was better.

They surely think they’re doing you a favor by letting you go early and maybe they are! If all the work is done and you’re not getting any admits, there’s probably little educational value and they’re just going to kill time until signout anyhow.

The best way I found to stay involved was to take notes on my list just like the interns and make all my own checkboxes. That way I’d know what needed to be done, and which things I could do. Then if there was something left I’d offer to do that specific thing. Eventually the work and learning does kinda wrap up and it’s nice to let people go at that point.

These days I always try to set clear expectations with students in terms of what their learning goals are for the day. Once those have been accomplished then I let them go. I’m pretty intentional with how I teach and I think students learn a lot and enjoy it. Many actually come back to work with me on their breaks from other rotations so must be doing something right!

Reactions: 4 users
I feel like the replies in this thread is a perfect representation of why SDN is on the decline and r/medicalschool is more popular than ever. All of these replies just do not reflect the views of most med students, residents, or young attendings.
For the OP, you just got unlucky. I went to a "top" medical school with "top" residency programs, and depending on the luck of the draw, I got some "crap" rotations. You can't pick and choose everyone who trains you, but you can take advantage of short days to do whatever when you get them. There may have been a minimal amount of learning available at the end of the day, so they were potentially doing you a favor.

For this hit-piece post, c'mon man. I'm a young attending in a lifestyle field. You're still in med school. You know how I got a pretty sweet gig? I busted my rear end on rotations, research, and networking. I did the same in residency and fellowship. You do realize some of the top IM programs 30 years ago advertised Q2 24 hour call for the experience as a good thing, right? Have you ever worked a 36 hour shift? I have in a lifestyle specialty with "home call", and they suck, and you suck it up.

The Old Guard are still hung up on this idea that Step 2 requires 2 weeks of flipping through First Aid 2003 to ace the exam, while the rest of our time should be "working hard to prepare for the brutality of residency! Back in my day, we didn't have work-hour limits and we had rounds that was uphill both ways...in the snow!"
1702242282433.gif

• Haha

The way I showed interest is through interesting patients, not necessarily through grunt work. I remember seeing a patient with a rare diagnosis, and the residents didn't know the therapy options recommended by subspecialties but did not have time to look into it either. I made an effort to make a handout of the top things to look out for, therapy mechanisms and next steps. I presented it in 3-4 min, and they appreciated it greatly and their evals reflected it.

r/medicalschool is 100% infinitely better than SDN! There is no place that confirms your bias and reaffirms maladaptive behaviors like Reddit!

Q: Should I rank a program with known VHCOL and I’m fully aware beforehand that I will not be able to afford my current lifestyle of eating out every night and using Uber everywhere I go?!?

Top reply: F&$@ boomers! You aren’t responsible for the consequences of your actions!!!

Q: I perceived a possible micro aggression… what should I do?!?

Top reply: I only see one possible recourse for this, report the bigot to HR and get them fired!

Back in the day their meme game was at least fresh, now it’s trash. No memes, no diversity of thought… Painfully banal.
You've proven my point right there. That's the most 2012 take on SDN vs Reddit. No one says that anymore. Not to mention that Obama era cringe Sargon of Akkad ass "haha-SJW **** and pissed their pants" "Ben Shapiro destroys lobruls ass jokes you just made. Real peak 2012 humor right there, bub. The hacker known as 4chan would be proud.

You can say what you want, but at the end of the day, r/medicalschool, r/residency, r/medicine each have literally 100x-1000x more people and that means a greater diversity of thought. You'll have some sensitive folks, but you also get some hard *sses in there, too. People who advocate for lifestyle and people who advocate for the grind. People there for the memes and people there for advice. People there are actively in the trenches of medical education and the information flows and evolves super quickly because of that.

Meanwhile on here, you get like the same 5-10 goobers who live here replying to every post. No hate to the goobers, but we all see the same names on here every day. At some point they're just too disconnected from how things are now.

Don't get me wrong, I love SDN and want to see it thrive. That's why I'm here and a pretty active user, but how many users on here you think are even students or residents anymore? How many attendings are sub-PGY-9? Older doesn't mean wiser. Harsher advice doesn't mean better advice.

It's just hard to take a lot of advice on here seriously when the vast majority of users probably don't know the modern frustrations of Zoom interview structures, how to operate Anking, or whether OME is currently part of the studying meta.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's just hard to take a lot of advice on here seriously when the vast majority of users probably don't know the modern frustrations of Zoom interview structures,
I think you’d benefit from an emotional support animal… think you’d get a lot of mileage out of a chinchilla.

how to operate Anking, or whether OME is currently part of the studying meta.
I don’t even know what those are….

r/medicalschool, r/residency, r/medicine each have literally 100x-1000x more people and that means a greater diversity of thought.
I like this type of thinking! It’s good! It’s critical! It’s challenging dialogue! If there were only more people in Jonestown, it wouldn’t have been considered a death cult. On the contrary! It would’ve had greater diversity of thought! Like maybe Hi-C instead of Kool-Aid? Gatoraid? I mean who knows with more people in the mix!

• Haha
You might come across as sucking up from the resident's perspective, but more likely they remember what it's like to have to stay past the point of educational value on their rotations. Probably just cutting you loose to have more time to study for the shelf.

You've proven my point right there. That's the most 2012 take on SDN vs Reddit. No one says that anymore. Not to mention that Obama era cringe Sargon of Akkad ass "haha-SJW **** and pissed their pants" "Ben Shapiro destroys lobruls ass jokes you just made. Real peak 2012 humor right there, bub. The hacker known as 4chan would be proud.

You can say what you want, but at the end of the day, r/medicalschool, r/residency, r/medicine each have literally 100x-1000x more people and that means a greater diversity of thought. You'll have some sensitive folks, but you also get some hard *sses in there, too. People who advocate for lifestyle and people who advocate for the grind. People there for the memes and people there for advice. People there are actively in the trenches of medical education and the information flows and evolves super quickly because of that.

Meanwhile on here, you get like the same 5-10 goobers who live here replying to every post. No hate to the goobers, but we all see the same names on here every day. At some point they're just too disconnected from how things are now.

Don't get me wrong, I love SDN and want to see it thrive. That's why I'm here and a pretty active user, but how many users on here you think are even students or residents anymore? How many attendings are sub-PGY-9? Older doesn't mean wiser. Harsher advice doesn't mean better advice.

It's just hard to take a lot of advice on here seriously when the vast majority of users probably don't know the modern frustrations of Zoom interview structures, how to operate Anking, or whether OME is currently part of the studying meta.

This is helpful feedback, thank you.

I'm sub PGY-9 so being a resident or even a medical student doesn't feel that distant to me. Plus I do a fair bit of teaching, so I see a lot on the other side.

I've definitely been that resident who's been so desperate for a quiet moment that I've told medical students to just go home. I was usually upfront with why, but some people still confuse vulnerability with weakness and come up with excuses or treat it like some kind of benevolence. Perhaps that's what's going on here.

Yes, there are modern frustrations but difficult interactions with residents is not one of them. I've been seeing posts about that since before I was in medical school.

To keep this on track with the OP, the answer is likely that their reasoning varies.

Sometimes, I send my med students out early, but I do it for different reasons, most of which have already been mentioned. I usually keep my AI's most of the day because they are typically able to contribute more and because they are "auditioning" for the program, so I let them carry more than I would normally expect of an MS3.

Heyyyyyy... I resemble this comment :mad:

Your fundamental point about not staying past when you're needed as an M3 is valid. I don't think anyone was disputing that--seriously, go back to the posts above your first post and show me where someone said otherwise.

As a young attending myself who has gone through training where work/life balance has begun to be emphasized, there is a problem with the balance swinging too far in the "life" direction recently. I'm being made to do things now that I had to do in residency and fellowship as part of my training because it's apparently "too much" for current trainees to handle. I suspect they don't realize that by not doing these things for 3-5 years in training, they're just ensuring they'll get to do it for 30+ years as an attending. But I would not be so foolish as to say that an MS3 should be sticking around until 8 every day just in case some learning opportunity might show up.

lmao sdn is so dead compared to reddit. is there even an eras thread this year?

I think you’d benefit from an emotional support animal… think you’d get a lot of mileage out of a chinchilla.

I don’t even know what those are….

I like this type of thinking! It’s good! It’s critical! It’s challenging dialogue! If there were only more people in Jonestown, it wouldn’t have been considered a death cult. On the contrary! It would’ve had greater diversity of thought! Like maybe Hi-C instead of Kool-Aid? Gatoraid? I mean who knows with more people in the mix!
no disrespect but if you don't know what anking is you're so far out of touch with med school that anything you say is basically ignorable.

• Haha
no disrespect but if you don't know what anking is you're so far out of touch with med school that anything you say is basically ignorable.
Bro I’m meme’ing and now you’re the butt of my joke. I’m going through the cycle as we speak and did Zanki/Anking from the start. I use Reddit everyday and when I need true advice I’ll rely of SDN a million times over. You can go discuss how your dating life is trash, how you need to unionize, and complain whatever the flavor of the week is on Reddit. It’s the blind leading the blind.

Bro I’m meme’ing and now you’re the butt of my joke. I’m going through the cycle as we speak and did Zanki/Anking from the start. I use Reddit everyday and when I need true advice I’ll rely of SDN a million times over. You can go discuss how your dating life is trash, how you need to unionize, and complain whatever the flavor of the week is on Reddit. It’s the blind leading the blind.
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 3.02.27 PM.png

this place is filled with attendings who don't know what's going on, it's not inaccurate to say that this place largely is out of touch with the current reality.

View attachment 379701

this place is filled with attendings who don't know what's going on, it's not inaccurate to say that this place largely is out of touch with the current reality.
No, it is inaccurate to say… SDN never was the forefront of Anki or STEP prep… you’re pretending like it was. It makes you out of touch. From premed, to medical student, it was never about any of those topics. If I need a direct answer on a serious topic that directly impacts my education or career, I can reach out on SDN and get responses from PDs, attendings, or residents.

*additionally I’ll quit posting on this topic (which if you’ve been around long enough knows that this has been rehashed multiple times.)

Last edited:
  • Okay...
As noted above, the general discussion about SDN isn’t really relevant to the OP’s question. Let’s please try to stay on topic to help the OP.

I'm curious how this turned out OP. Did your evaluations go okay? Are you still interested in IM? Seems like you've done great so far and had a rough rotation.

Compared to most of the attendings who have posted in this thread (except @SurfingDoctor , he might as well be the crypt keeper at this point), I'm ancient (I've been out of residency for 11 years now). So, take this with a grain of salt:

When I was a med student there was little I hated more than literally sitting around waiting for something to happen. I can read at home. If I'm not needed and there's nothing planned, let me go home. I still feel that way but since I'm the attending now I can just leave.

So I send students home early if there's nothing to do. Most commonly this happens if I am also leaving early. Sure, I could have them go hang out with one of my partners for the afternoon/morning but a few extra hours on a month-long rotation isn't going to impact much and I know when I was in their shoes I'd have loved the chance to just leave.

Occasionally I'll have patients at 1:30 and 1:45 and then nothing until 3:30. I'll usually let them leave after the 1:45 patient rather than have them stay an extra 2 hours to see at most 2 more patients.

• Care
I'm curious how this turned out OP. Did your evaluations go okay? Are you still interested in IM? Seems like you've done great so far and had a rough rotation.
Still waiting on evals... Idk why, but everyone waits super long to fill them out. I got back one from an intern who gave me straight 3s with no comments. Another from an attending who gave mostly 5s and a few 4s. I need a >90 average for Honors between clinical evals and shelf which means a > 4.5/5 clinical eval average and/or 90%+ on the shelf (which is 97-99th percentile).

Honestly I've given up. Assuming you aren't in the 20% of students who have visible deficits in social skills, MS3 is about 95% luck. You can't really stand out as "excellent" on the wards, especially in IM. No one teaches you how to do IM. The shelf/UWorld material is ambulatory + EM/first steps in management. It's never like, "A patient came in 2 days ago with chest pain and already got a full workup from the ED with a full plan started by the night float resident last night. Now they have mild/moderate abdominal pain. What do you think your attending's threshold for additional imaging is in this case?" Or a classic, "A patient came in with ADHF and is now on day 4 of IV lasix. Creatinine bumped from 0.98 to 1.36 this morning. They are still slightly volume overloaded w/ improving bibasilar crackles and +1 pitting edema from 2+ yesterday, but down 3.5 kilos since admission. No known dry weight. How aggressive is your attending in continuing IV lasix vs. transitioning to oral in this scenario?"

I'm trying to maintain my interest in IM, but I've been struggling recently. The second half of my rotation was worse than the first (was assigned to a private hospital in the burbs instead of the university medical center in the city). It just wasn't a teaching environment and it showed. Honestly I'm super bummed and feel extremely demoralized and let down. I did a PhD and spent years anticipating this rotation thinking I was dead set on IM to Heme/Onc. Feels like everyone in IM was just extremely tough on me and picked me apart. I've gotten a clinical H in every other rotation, but this was just a real punch in the face, especially after clearly performing better on this rotation compared to others. Got rocked by a shelf yesterday that had an absurd amount of step 1 material (from which I'm now 5.5 years removed). I'm definitely at a low point in my med school years after this rotation.

• Care
As long as you're not being daft, then it's not you. It's just that at a certain point a lot of people are either mildly burnt out, or have better things to do than teach, talk, etc.

I can say that as a final year fellow right now it can honestly be hard to work with residents because it makes rounds last longer. And I just want to go home and go to the gym or eat something that's not bar form.