Anyone else freaking out about boards????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biscuit799

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I've got 54 more days until I take boards. I took 30 Kaplan questions, and got a 49%. I'm scared that by the time classes end, I won't have time for enough studying to significantly boost my grade. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so I've got 54 more days until I take boards. I took 30 Kaplan questions, and got a 49%. I'm scared that by the time classes end, I won't have time for enough studying to significantly boost my grade. :scared:

Once I'm done with classes I've got 35 study days on the calendar. For now, I'm just trying to wrap up my 2nd year classes as best I can - focusing on learning this material and reviewing for my finals and such. Since sooo much of the boards is path, I figure the best thing I can do is solidify the year's worth of path I've spent cramming into my head. Once finals are over, I'll turn to studying for the boards.

I've heard that QBank can be a bad gauge of your potential performance on the boards. If you really want to know, take one of the NBME forms.

lol, i haven't even been accepted to medschool...so i've got 2 years. the day i'm accepted i'm ordering step 1 review books (I've taken courses in biochem, 500 level physio and immunology classes, so i'll be able to make good use of them hopefully before i start school in the fall).

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, i haven't even been accepted to medschool...so i've got 2 years. the day i'm accepted i'm ordering step 1 review books (I've taken courses in biochem, 500 level physio and immunology classes, so i'll be able to make good use of them hopefully before i start school in the fall).

Umm...yeahhh You get right on that. Pre-M1's are so insightful.

dude, really....chill... you got lots of time.

set a schedule and stick by it..just like in school.

if by the end of the day, you're not on track, then work harder the next day.

freaking out will only make your life worse

you got in all under control...keep tellin yourself that..YOU WILL BE FINE

ive been havin panic attacks too - i just woke up from a 6hr nap, the first time i slept for more than 3 and a half hours all week.

you're not alone

You really don't need to get that high a percentage of Q-bank questions to feel good about passing! This is the advice the current third years gave our class: "If you score above 60% on Q-bank, you can feel good about passing. Shoot for 65%. People who are averaging around 70 usually end up with scores over 230." My test date is less than 2 months away and yes, I'm nervous, but I also feel like I have adequate time to prepare. Like the previous poster, right now I am just focusing on finishing up second year. Just try to relax about it, make a study schedule, and then study!

My story (for your comfort, not to brag).

Avg score on Qbank 2 months before Step1 = 42%
Actual Step1 score = 250+

Qbank is hard. That is because Kaplan has a vested interest in your panicking and frantically shelling out $2K for a review course.

yes get right on that is correct. only thing is that you'll decrease your "youth
time" (whatever thats worth) but will probably wind up a good fighter.

Avg score on Qbank 2 months before Step1 = 42%
Actual Step1 score = 250+

Fine, two months before. How about the week before? I went from 50% to somewhere around 75-80% right before the exam.

Some dude from Kaplan talked to our class. His advice was, if it's two weeks before the exam and you still can't get over 50% on Qbank, don't take the exam because you won't pass.

Thanks for all your posts. I guess it's pretty standard to just wait until classes end, study for a month, and take the bi#ch. Glad to know I'm not alone in this boat.

Qbank is hard. That is because Kaplan has a vested interest in your panicking and frantically shelling out $2K for a review course.

hmMm. sounds Certainly familiAr, thaT does . . .

Fine, two months before. How about the week before? I went from 50% to somewhere around 75-80% right before the exam.

Some dude from Kaplan talked to our class. His advice was, if it's two weeks before the exam and you still can't get over 50% on Qbank, don't take the exam because you won't pass.

Fair enough, but the OP had mentioned "54 days."

That advice from the Kaplan guy seems pretty reasonable actually.

Fair enough, but the OP had mentioned "54 days."

Ah, missed that part, sorry.

54 days puts his/her exam somewhere around the end of June/early July? I wonder why more people don't take the exam earlier, especially at schools where they give you more than a month to study. I took mine in the first week of June and cruised for a month. It was great.

Ah, missed that part, sorry.

54 days puts his/her exam somewhere around the end of June/early July? I wonder why more people don't take the exam earlier, especially at schools where they give you more than a month to study. I took mine in the first week of June and cruised for a month. It was great.

Nice to hear someone else who did that and did fine. I'm taking my exam June 2. We finish our finals on May 4 and start rotations July 2 and can take the Step anytime in that block. The school insists that we need to take almost the whole time to study or we won't pass. I decided that four weeks was enough and anything more would be counterproductive for me. We'll hope I'm right. :)