anyone else get a low practice score right before their MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureScaresMe

UCSF '14
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been doing well on my practice AAMCs, scoring between 33-37, but yesterday I scored my lowest ever, 10 days before my exam date!! I did AAMC CBT 7 and was all over the place. 14 PS, 10 BS, 5 VR. I was a little distracted as something a little troubling happened the night before, but 5, really? And BS is normally my strong point. I'm not quite sure what to do at this point. I went from being really confident to realizing it's possible I might screw up the real thing...

Members don't see this ad.

You have to figure out what happened this practice that didn't happen in the others. Did you simply get a test with all your weaknesses? Why were you distracted? Can you fix these problems before your test? If you feel you will remain distracted when your MCAT comes up, I'd delay.

if you're burnt out, then don't worry.

I was burnt out before my first MCAT test date, 3 days before the exam, I took AAMC 10 and scored 5 points lower than usual.

Maybe you need to take a break?

it's possible to screw one up, my last AAMC, I think I got 6 points lower than all previous tests. Relax, it's your average that counts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, took 10R and got 9 PS 10 VR 14 BS. So maybe I was just really out of it yesterday. I hate how variable this is for me. All I want is a 10 on a real thing...just give me a 10!!

I was just checking, in case there are more questions I could go over.

But if I were you, I'd focus more on the raw scores for the science sections than the scaling and try to prevent from making similar errors on the real deal. Who cares about a fake score, right?

I've no answer for controlling verbal fluctuations though. While I've ranged between 10-13, I've gotten a 9 once in between. The thought that I'd do worse on the real test is not pleasant at all, and I can empathize with you on that. It's possible that you just don't have enough focus at the time of examination. I think the best strategy is merely to take a whole bunch of verbal tests. I mean, what more can you do?