Anyone else have no patients due to covid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quinque

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any other schools experiencing a new patient shortage due to covid?

I am a D3, been in clinic for a month and so far have only done one procedure, one time (filling). I have assisted (suction, grab items, and observe technique) my D4 in around 8 or 10 procedures. For the rest of the time, there are no patients scheduled, so if I have online class in morning for 1-2hrs, the rest of the day I just stay home.

I think there is a shortage of new patients coming in for D3 at my school due to covid (not sure, but seems that way since my classmates I have spoke to and myself have only done 1-2 procedures in the month).

Any other schools experiencing this? Getting pretty worried I might not know much upon graduation, unless things begin to pick up.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard, that other schools have the same problem

Same here, our school also has a shortage of patients, for both D4s and D3s. D4s are the ones only really seeing patients right now at my school-they are given priority since they need to graduate in 9 months.
Even us D4s have a lot of free time. People just aren't coming in and we also cannot book as many appointments at a given time due to social distancing requirements-not much we can do about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys can get more information regarding how schools around the country are doing from this spreadsheet. Please add your school into the list if it's not already there

Our school does not limit the number of appointments a student can have per week, but they cut the number of chairs in half so it's harder and a longer wait time to book patients. Most D4s are doing fine as they already have a number of patients with work that need to be done from pre-covid. D3s don't have that many new patients, most of them have only done some exams and maybe a few fillings so far. Some D3s get more procedures than others if they have their D4 friends passing patients to them. D4s are not given priority in clinic, chairs are still first come first serve as always. We are only required to assist a handful of times each semester, so if we don't have a patient scheduled we just stay home.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users