Anyone else here an embarrassment to their culture? How y'all doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry for everything you've been through. You're a much better person than me, without a doubt. I guess I'm just too materialistic. Some people are just different.
Please don't pity me. I made choices and suffered/endured/thrived with the circumstances. Life is about choice. You can wallow in pity and suffering or you can use it to propel into a more fulfilling life.

I don't think I'm better than anyone else and only share the story to help you when that day comes that you too, likely, realize money is not the end-all, be-all. Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to have a new 'Slade, or the latest Louboutin or Blahnik or Choo shoes, or head to Barney's for a full day of personal shopping expertise. BUT, I'm much happier being poor and fulfilled.

Members don't see this ad.

"They got over it and found some other way to be successful." - So they're engineers or lawyers now then? Doctor/Lawyer/Engineer. Only three routes of success in South Asian culture.

One is an engineer. The rest are in business or some other field. Idk what other people "in their culture" think about them. From what I've gathered from talking with them, they consider themselves successful, which matters far more than what anyone else thinks.

None of them claimed that their culture was academically superior either, nor were they as ridiculously ethnocentric as you're being." - It's true though. The amount of Indian-Americans that have masters, doctorate, or other professional degrees is 5x more than the national average. Seriously look it up, I'm not making it up.

Doesn't matter, and if you really want to play the "superior race" game, Indian-Americans fall far short of other SE Asian cultures. Additionally, I don't know any Indian individuals who consider themselves SE Asian and I don't know anyone from SE Asian countries like Japan, Korea, Vietnam, etc who consider Indian individuals part of that demographic. The fact that you do makes me think you're a troll and not really from any of those cultures.

If you think people on here are being harsh or "don't understand" your immature angsty attitude, wait until you get an interview. You'd get rejected at the interview for far less than some of the opinions you've expressed here." - Yes its a well known fact that my opinions I share online are the same opinions I share in real life.

It's not just the opinions, it's your overall attitude. I'm not going to point out all of the obvious issues, because other people have already pointed them out and you just want to move the goalposts. As I already said, no one cares what other members of your culture think and frankly, they don't matter in the eyes of interviewers. As to thought content, unless you plan on straight up lying to your interviewers, you've got some serious contemplation about perspective which needs to occur. At this point you've been given plenty of advice from medical students and residents and you've chosen to ignore it or change the topic and feel sorry for yourself. Do with it what you will, but be aware that your current attitude and perspectives will only hinder your attempts to get accepted and succeed in medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One is an engineer. The rest are in business or some other field. Idk what other people "in their culture" think about them. From what I've gathered from talking with them, they consider themselves successful, which matters far more than what anyone else thinks.

Doesn't matter, and if you really want to play the "superior race" game, Indian-Americans fall far short of other SE Asian cultures. Additionally, I don't know any Indian individuals who consider themselves SE Asian and I don't know anyone from SE Asian countries like Japan, Korea, Vietnam, etc who consider Indian individuals part of that demographic. The fact that you do makes me think you're a troll and not really from any of those cultures.

It's not just the opinions, it's your overall attitude. I'm not going to point out all of the obvious issues, because other people have already pointed them out and you just want to move the goalposts. As I already said, no one cares what other members of your culture think and frankly, they don't matter in the eyes of interviewers. As to thought content, unless you plan on straight up lying to your interviewers, you've got some serious contemplation about perspective which needs to occur. At this point you've been given plenty of advice from medical students and residents and you've chosen to ignore it or change the topic and feel sorry for yourself. Do with it what you will, but be aware that your current attitude and perspectives will only hinder your attempts to get accepted and succeed in medicine.

We have a higher socioeconomic status than most (including SE asian) cultures. Therefore by definition, we are superior. This stupid website isn't allowing me to post a link, but google Indian-American and read the Socioeconomic status page on Wikipedia.

Everything you've said is 100% correct. No one cares. Why would they care about someone who is so far behind in the race? I need to make peace with the fact that I will always behind and less successful compared to everyone else I know in life. It's a price I gladly pay for being a doctor when I'm 40.

We have a higher socioeconomic status than most (including SE asian) cultures. Therefore by definition, we are superior. This stupid website isn't allowing me to post a link, but google Indian-American and read the Socioeconomic status page on Wikipedia.

Everything you've said is 100% correct. No one cares. Why would they care about someone who is so far behind in the race? I need to make peace with the fact that I will always behind and less successful compared to everyone else I know in life. It's a price I gladly pay for being a doctor when I'm 40.
There is literally no definition of culture that says those who make more money are better. Other than your warped perceptions, of course. So please stop saying "by definition".

Reactions: 1 users
There is literally no definition of culture that says those who make more money are better. Other than your warped perceptions, of course. So please stop saying "by definition".

Those who make more money have a higher social status and therefore are "better" than those who don't. Like how a doctor > nurse/PA > lab tech > janitor. Like it or not, that's how society works.

Indian-Americans as a culture have more advanced degrees and a higher income on average compared to other cultures. Therefore, logically, you can see how that makes sense.

Those who make more money have a higher social status and therefore are "better" than those who don't. Like how a doctor > nurse/PA > lab tech > janitor. Like it or not, that's how society works.

Indian-Americans as a culture have more advanced degrees and a higher income on average compared to other cultures. Therefore, logically, you can see how that makes sense.
No, that's just your personal philosophy. All you have is racial pride and the hope that one day you'll be rich and powerful enough to treat those you consider "lesser" than you like garbage. You are desperate to be "Nouveau Riche".

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.