Jan 7, 2014
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I don't want to complain, but is it just me or was that PCAT nothing like the practice tests and Dr. Collins?

I bought 3 Pearson practice tests and scored around 80-90 composite on the last 2.

I studied for 3 weeks and got 40 composite. 22 verbal on this actual one.

There was literally three Ochem questions and no calculations on chemistry.

Idk if it was just me, but that test was ridiculously stupid.

NejixRockS

7+ Year Member
May 7, 2011
South Florida
Status
Pharmacy Student
the test was way harder than both Dr. Collins and the Pearson practice exam, but Dr. Collins still helped me a lot in Math/Chem and Bio. The verbal part of Dr. Collins was so-so, but the Reading part is garbage... I was getting 40+/48 in all the reading exams from Dr. Collins and ended up with a 26 percentile in the actual PCAT lol... (my composite was a 76)

Sep 18, 2013
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I used the 2011 Dr Collins and improved my score from 61 to 85. Whatever material Dr. Collins didn't go thoroughly enough on, I read up on Kaplan. It does help to mention that I have my bachelors so I've taken all the required courses for pharmacy already besides anatomy. I personally felt Dr. Collins prepares you for the format and how to get your mind used to thinking quick for the little amount of time available for each section. I did see a few exact same questions as the practice tests though. I didn't study the reading or verbal this time around and it definitely killed me.

Why are you retaking if you got composite scores of 80-90 anyway? Especially if you got those scores your first two attempts, I would feel like it's pretty indicative of your PCAT abilities and you should just focus on the rest of your application/interviews.

Oct 8, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
My composite yesterday was 93. I did not use collins or kaplan, the only test-specific things I studied were the 3 pearson practice tests. I thought the practice tests were excellent prep for the test. I went over the chem, quant, & bio questions at least twice for each test, paying attention to the style of questions as well as the content. "what are they asking for?" and I paid attention to the 3 wrong answers for each question. So often you could easily eliminate one choice, and then between the 3 remaining you could usually eliminate whichever one was different from the others, and then choose from the 2 remaining.

OP
J
Jan 7, 2014
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I used the 2011 Dr Collins and improved my score from 61 to 85. Whatever material Dr. Collins didn't go thoroughly enough on, I read up on Kaplan. It does help to mention that I have my bachelors so I've taken all the required courses for pharmacy already besides anatomy. I personally felt Dr. Collins prepares you for the format and how to get your mind used to thinking quick for the little amount of time available for each section. I did see a few exact same questions as the practice tests though. I didn't study the reading or verbal this time around and it definitely killed me.

Why are you retaking if you got composite scores of 80-90 anyway? Especially if you got those scores your first two attempts, I would feel like it's pretty indicative of your PCAT abilities and you should just focus on the rest of your application/interviews.
I scored 80-90 on the "PRACTICE" tests. I didn't do so hot on the real one

OP
J
Jan 7, 2014
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
My composite yesterday was 93. I did not use collins or kaplan, the only test-specific things I studied were the 3 pearson practice tests. I thought the practice tests were excellent prep for the test. I went over the chem, quant, & bio questions at least twice for each test, paying attention to the style of questions as well as the content. "what are they asking for?" and I paid attention to the 3 wrong answers for each question. So often you could easily eliminate one choice, and then between the 3 remaining you could usually eliminate whichever one was different from the others, and then choose from the 2 remaining.
I guess you are correct. I felt the practice tests I took definitely helped a lot more than Dr. Collins or any books I studied. I'm just having a hard time wrapping around how I did well on the practice tests but bombed the actual tests, especially verbal. Oh well, I guess nothing to do but study more and be optimistic about taking it again in the summer :(

FuturePharmD426

7+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2011
Status
Pharmacist
Don't know what to do at this point.

Verbal 33 :(
Biology 69
Reading 7:eek:
Math 85
Chemistry 56

Composite 45:(

Is there any hope for 2014?

Feb 20, 2013
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I also only used Dr. Collins and the Pearson exams. The biology section was ROUGH. Nothing at all like what I was expecting. I felt like the material wasn't even covered in the Collins study guide very thoroughly. Then again, I've only taken one biology course so my low score is probably more reflective of that.

Verbal: 94
Bio: 40 ewwwwwwww
Reading Comp: 90
Chem: 90
QA: 98
Composite: 94!

OP
J
Jan 7, 2014
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I also only used Dr. Collins and the Pearson exams. The biology section was ROUGH. Nothing at all like what I was expecting. I felt like the material wasn't even covered in the Collins study guide very thoroughly. Then again, I've only taken one biology course so my low score is probably more reflective of that.

wow thats a VERY impressive score. Good Job, I'm sure you'll get in anywhere you want

Sep 18, 2013
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Wow congrats, you made the reading and verbal look so easy. I got around 88-95 on everything except those two, which ended up being ridiculously bad.

Dec 2, 2013
Miami, Florida
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I also only used Dr. Collins and the Pearson exams. The biology section was ROUGH. Nothing at all like what I was expecting. I felt like the material wasn't even covered in the Collins study guide very thoroughly.

I agree with jaykumarv. It seems harder than the Pearson practice.

I reviewed bio with Kaplan, and chem with Dr. Collins. The difficulty and style of questions is dead on with the help PCAT. Just wish I had practiced more for math.
Verbal: 99
Bio: 95
Reading: 94
Quanti: 77 :(
Chem: 98
Composite: 98

Reactions: MrsCway
Jan 9, 2014
Props to all of you who did so well! I somehow managed a great composite despite mediocre quant/chem (I didn't finish either, and personally thought the chem was rough!). I thought the bio was a breeze, but I tutor gen bio courses so I have a really strong foundation and didn't have to really review. I only really studied for chem and math, mostly just reviewing long-forgotten concepts via Khan Academy videos over the last week or so. Time really is the enemy for those two sections!

Verbal: 99
Bio: 99
Reading: 94
Quant: 85
Chem: 81
Composite: 99

For a first timer driven mostly by panic, I'm not going to complain at all! I'm more than happy and am glad that I can stop having orgo nightmares now.

Reactions: MrsCway

MrsCway

Better late (applying @ my age) than never!
Jan 10, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Status
Pre-Medical, Pre-Pharmacy
I thought the Reading Comp was so hard! I somehow managed a 70, but it was rough! Maybe I just wasn't feeling the passages...
I flew thru Biology and some of the Chem. I thought some of the Verbal was hard, but I got an 82.
I wanted to go home when I took my break, but I'm glad I stayed. The test was STUPID HARD though!