anyone else moving to a diff state in the midst of this pandemic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dds_2024

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To anyone (oos) who is starting dental school in June or July...

-how are you guys arranging your living situations (aka apartment hunting)
-how are you picking a move-in date for your lease?

-have you purchased your airplane tickets yet?

There is so much uncertainty (with the stay-at-home order constantly being extended) due to covid and my school being uncertain of the start date. This could very well be extended until June, so it's so hard to commit to anything right now...

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
To anyone (oos) who is starting dental school in June or July...

-how are you guys arranging your living situations (aka apartment hunting)
-how are you picking a move-in date for your lease?

-have you purchased your airplane tickets yet?

There is so much uncertainty (with the stay-at-home order constantly being extended) due to covid and my school being uncertain of the start date. This could very well be extended until June, so it's so hard to commit to anything right now...

Thoughts?

I am looking on google maps, zilliow, apartments.com with a budget in mind to make list and am checking out the reviews online and reach to other dental students or people I know who live in the area for their opinion. Once I finalize that list, I will call/take virtual tours and ask to see leasing contracts. I am luck that I am moving one state over and can drive to physically see these apartments units in person.

the administration at my dental school told us that classes start in person or online no matter what on July 6th, so I plan on moving in a week or two before hand.

Reactions: 1 user
You guys should check in with your school to see if they're starting on time. It could be you're going to spend the first couple months taking online classes. In that case, you're not going to want to sign a lease until then. You'll save on rent.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You guys should check in with your school to see if they're starting on time. It could be you're going to spend the first couple months taking online classes. In that case, you're not going to want to sign a lease until then. You'll save on rent.
my classes regardless start on July 6th. Do you think it would be beneficial for me to move into my new apt and set my schedule and get you use to it?

Is it weird my school starts first week of september? Yalls are so early being the first week of July, or maybe I'm super late

my classes regardless start on July 6th. Do you think it would be beneficial for me to move into my new apt and set my schedule and get you use to it?
They might start in July, but they may be online. I'm just saying it's a waste of money if you sign a lease starting in June and then don't have to physically be at school until August.

there are pros and cons to that
you'll have your whole schedule situated and be more comfortable in your new place as opposed to moving once school starts physically but I also see what @Life of Pablo is saying on how we can save on rent... that's something to think about

But since you're only a state away, it might be easier to move as soon as they lift the online only ban. But of course, at the end of the day do what makes you feel less stressed. :) haha

Is it weird my school starts first week of september? Yalls are so early being the first week of July, or maybe I'm super late

no not weird at all, a lot of schools start in the fall/september. :) haha