Anyone else not have neuro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBurns10

Excellent, Smithers
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else's school not have a required neuro rotation? I didn't realize it was so widespread until I saw all these posts about it. Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else's school not have a required neuro rotation? I didn't realize it was so widespread until I saw all these posts about it. Just curious.

mine has 2 weeks in 2nd year, but no core rotation.

We have a neuropsych rotation in 3rd year with 2 for my class comprising 2 weeks/8weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
No core rotation where I went to medical school. We had quite a bit of neuro in MS1&2

No core rotation where I went to medical school. We had quite a bit of neuro in MS1&2

quite a bit in ms1 and 2? so what? you are required to learn it for boards. I dont see how that relates to clinical knowledge, at all.

We have 1 week neurology and 1 week neurosurgery during third year.

We have an 8-week neuro/psych rotation --- 3 weeks neuro, 5 weeks psych.

quite a bit in ms1 and 2? so what? you are required to learn it for boards. I dont see how that relates to clinical knowledge, at all.

Sorry? I don't understand your point at all. The OP asked about clinical rotations, which I answered. :)

I don't recall anyone asking the relevance of where/when or how much neuro one must do.

(and I am sometimes surprised at the stuff I had to learn in MS1&2 that actually becomes relevant as an attending. Of course, the converse of this statement is also true. :) )

I would have guessed that a school couldn't be accredited w/o a neuro rotation. I guess I learned something new.

No neuro rotation required for us either

It's a required 4th year elective for us (has to be taken in the 2nd half of 4th year)

Not sure why

During 3rd year we do a required 2 weeks of neuro during our medicine core and have the option of doing a 2 week neurosurgery elective during surgery. There's 5 or 6 neuro electives available to 4th years.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why we don't have to do neuro. We have quite a few electives we can do but nothing required.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neuro isn't a LCME accreditation required course. The only ones that are required are IM, Peds, Surgery, OB-GYN, Family Medicine, and Psychiatry.

We have a Neuro/Psych block - 2 weeks Neuro and 6 weeks Psych.

None here. You can do a 2 week selective in neurosurg while on surgery, or a 3 week selective in neuro while on medicine, but neither are required (thank goodness!).

4 long, painful weeks. Ugh! And we can't take it as part of medicine!

One of the best lines from the "specialty one-liners" thread is:

Q: What is Neurology?
A: The 15 minutes of guess work before the CT comes back.

It definitely seems interesting but not something I'd want to do for more than a couple weeks.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why we don't have to do neuro. We have quite a few electives we can do but nothing required.

We used to have a required neuro block during fourth year. I saw it on something and had a panic attack until I confirmed that it was old information. Neuro just seems so boring.

4 Weeks here. Not as boring as the above post makes it sound if your busy.
By busy I mean one team plenty to do since it's a small team
Inpatient Consults - (ex. Bell's Palsay after CABG)
ER Consults -- (Tons of Strokes)
Inpatient Ward -- (dedicated Neuro inpatient ward, patients with Strokes, Mythsia Gravis, etc)
Afternoon Clinic (every afternoon, patients seen on an outpatient basis)

Neuro is only not boring if you love:
(1) Rounding for 8 hours on 10 patients
(2) Waiting around a ton
(3) Spending hours and hours playing "where is the lesion"--only to find that it doesn't matter since we really can't do anything about it in most cases, and hey look the CT/MRI found it anyway
(4) Chronic pain
(5) Headaches which are equally likely to be complete bull**** and life-threatening
(6) Really depressing stuff like MS

There are people who enjoy the intellectual/diagnostic challenge of this stuff, and I don't mean to insult them. When I was a second year med student I loved neuro--all the pathways and the intricate, complex stuff--but when I saw what the reality on the wards was, I got bored to tears.

We're fricking neuro overloaded at my school. Maybe because we've got a neuro residency here. The third year rotation is about 2/3rds psych, 1/3rd neurology, and everyone's AGAIN required to rotate through it 4th year (However, it's short, very little work, and most people push it until after they've matched/interviews so the apathy is palpable).