Anyone else not using Qbank on purpose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've given a lot of thought and gone through a ton of research to come up with my boards plan. After time and time again hearing about how Qbank is too fact/minutia based and not as conceptual or thought-provoking as the boards (and NBME's)....I am pretty sure that I am not going to use it. I have the time and resources to use whatever I want and have read several times about people who wished they went w/ their gut and didn't do qbank for the above reasons. They stated that they mostly did it because they feared that they would be missing out...but were left disapointed. I am however using several other question sources, notably USMLErx, USMLEworld, Robbins review, QBook, Lange, BSS and a few others along w/ solid review material (focusing on Goljans RR Path and First Aid, with other supplemental books).

I guess you can say that I have already made up my mind....but I would like to hear some more opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I might not use Qbank for cost reasons- I just keep hearing that usmle world is more realistic and it's a hell of a lot cheaper with just under 2000 questions. I will likely be using Qbook still. It is mostly third years who are using it for Step II that are recommending it to me though.

mainly not using qbank because...
i failed with it the first time. ugh, hate to say it..
then i found world for ck and loved it, so i am going at it again with world for my repeat sep one :) that and f/a and goljan path.

It's scary because so many people have had success using Qbank as their main question source.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think i've heard a lot of people praise qbank and a lot that discouraged its use. For myself , I think the best solution is to do BSS and qbank before my school year ends. Then when my board studying begins go to some other online banks. If anything, at the very least psychologically, i feel like i did qbank and have nothing to lose than the 399 i already spent on it. :eek:

I think i've heard a lot of people praise qbank and a lot that discouraged its use. For myself , I think the best solution is to do BSS and qbank before my school year ends. Then when my board studying begins go to some other online banks. If anything, at the very least psychologically, i feel like i did qbank and have nothing to lose than the 399 i already spent on it. :eek:
ha..fair enough

I just can't justify using it solely for the information gained from reading the answers when other question sources will force me to conceptually think in a manner more similar to the exam....and about missing the info from it....I find it hard to believe that I will miss anything important after knowing FA and Goljan Path cold + the other good supplemental sources...

thanks for your input everyone

now guys, I was thinkin the same thing, but luckyly our school gave us a 7 month subcription to qbank, so i 'll check it out.

from what i have heard about 35 % of the questions are thought provoking, while the others are pretty much based on ur knowledge base more than anything else.

at our school we do micro 1st year and at the end we take a micro NBME. some 2nd year guys last year sent out pirated qbank qns for micro/immuno (i think around 300 - 350 of em). i went through em before takin the nmbe and i must say that some of the stuff in the answer explanations (which did not exist in FA or MMRS) actually showed up on the nmbe.

so in the end, i feel that qbank has to offer something for a few subjects, but not everything (atleast thats my conclusion, but unfortunately i dont know what other subjects it is good for).

If you have QBook, and like it, I would guess you would like QBank as well. It isn't perfect but I thought it was good enough to be worth the cost. Much better than Lange questions.

However, last year USMLEWorld was unavailable and USMLERx was new and unproven. If either of these is as good as QBank there's little point in getting multiple online question banks.

Slightly off topic, I don't understand why BSS is so popular these days. I don't think it was such a staple in the past.

Unless my school can get us Qbank for incredibly cheap, I don't think I'm gonna use it either. I'm thinking UMSLERx, USMLEWorld, Robbins, and probably Qbook. Does anyone know how to get a free copy of BSS? Taus, at PCOM, do they pay for your USMLE or is that out-of-pocket for you?

Taus and Eleventhreel,it seems we have same line of thought about Q bank.
I do not have Lange..but have Blueprints.I have the bootleg kaplan q bank 2002 edition 41 blocks...but don't know how different it is from the latest kaplan online q bank.Anyone knows?

Taus and Eleventhreel,it seems we have same line of thought about Q bank.
I do not have Lange..but have Blueprints.I have the bootleg kaplan q bank 2002 edition 41 blocks...but don't know how different it is from the latest kaplan online q bank.Anyone knows?

not that much difference, i mean there are some difference but not that much , thus if i know earlier , i would not use 200$ to buy online version.
41 blocks repeats many questions. but it goes the same line of thought and explanation as online one. but i have only finished 50% so far.

I've given a lot of thought and gone through a ton of research to come up with my boards plan. After time and time again hearing about how Qbank is too fact/minutia based and not as conceptual or thought-provoking as the boards (and NBME's)....I am pretty sure that I am not going to use it. I have the time and resources to use whatever I want and have read several times about people who wished they went w/ their gut and didn't do qbank for the above reasons. They stated that they mostly did it because they feared that they would be missing out...but were left disapointed. I am however using several other question sources, notably USMLErx, USMLEworld, Robbins review, QBook, Lange, BSS and a few others along w/ solid review material (focusing on Goljans RR Path and First Aid, with other supplemental books).

I guess you can say that I have already made up my mind....but I would like to hear some more opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

Dude, I'm with you all the way. In fact, I've bought the same exact things you did and feel the same way about qbank based on what i've read here. But i might wind up using it later on just to see for myself.

I agree Felicia. I've got more than enough material than time to properly get through it all. I think USMLERx, USMLEWorld, QBook, Robbins, Webpath, and Goljan's RR for the USMLE is more than enough practice questions. I should probably cut down on some of those and spend more time with RR path and FA.

i bought a copy of rr patho and it says on the cover that it allows me to access 250 usmle type questions online. but when i log in their web site,i do not see the questions they referring to , anyone can tell me how do i access these 250 questions on studentconsult.com

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought Qbank simply because everyone I know personally that did really well did the all of the Qbank questions at least once (a lot of posters here rave about Qbank and how it saved their score).

After getting I think I like it in that there is information that is not in goljan or in BRS path (one example being the FAB aml naming system that goljan says is never important, but on like 5 questions on Qbank. Personally, I just plan on finishing Qbank once before I get finished class (1 month before I take the test), along with finishing the Robbins path questions. Then, go w/USMLE world or USMLErx for the last month along with extra questions from whever I can find if necessary. We'll see.

Personally, I just want to know the information from books cold, and review/learn more from the questions if necessary.

Personally, I just want to know the information from books cold, and review/learn more from the questions if necessary.

Caution!

There are 2 reasons for using questions. One is to confirm that you've learned what you need to know from your books. The other is to build your skills at quickly recognizing a disease from a clinical vignette.

Often, half of a question is figuring out what disease is present based on clinical presentation and perhaps a couple of labs. By doing a lot of questions (there are only so many ways to describe someone with disease X) this recognition process becomes reflexive and you have that much more time to think about the part of the question that deals with the mechanism.

Good call actually. I know I'm ******ed but I never really looked at it that way. Guess it just happened w/out me noticing it.

Back to the questions, I was just listening to goljan, and he's also said that the Qbank questions are closest to those on the exam.

So I still dunno - I got qbank for free so I can still get something else, but as of now these questions seem solid.

Back to the questions, I was just listening to goljan, and he's also said that the Qbank questions are closest to those on the exam.
Probably because QBank was the only question source out there back in 2002.

Wait, this is exactly what you were doing in your original post... :)

nah...this wasn't one of those times where you knew the answer that you wanted to hear, but just needed to hear someone else say it....nah..not at all...;)

I did decide to add Guytons Physio review questions for the big boys..ie endo/repro, cardio, respiratory and renal phys

nah...this wasn't one of those times where you knew the answer that you wanted to hear, but just needed to hear someone else say it....nah..not at all...;)

I did decide to add Guytons Physio review questions for the big boys..ie endo/repro, cardio, respiratory and renal phys

I did some of those (especially cardio) during the respective phys classes. Those were much tougher than BRS questions. I think I'll try those out too since my cardio and respiratory phys background is pretty weak. When we were doing endocrine, I found the Kaplan questions from the phys book to be pretty good.

I did some of those (especially cardio) during the respective phys classes. Those were much tougher than BRS questions. I think I'll try those out too since my cardio and respiratory phys background is pretty weak. When we were doing endocrine, I found the Kaplan questions from the phys book to be pretty good.
11th...I agree completely...the BRS q's are basically regurgitating what you just read in the chapter.

Surprised: Its Guyton & Hall Physiology Review Book...basically Q&A and explanations. Some are great, conceptual, integrative...some are basic and nit-picky...but I'm gonna do it during my first run through the information just to drill the basics before I hit the major question sources

I've had qbank last 2mths, and signed up for usmleworld for this past mth. Qback is soo fact based. I'll get 80% on some qbank sections, and turn around and barely get 50% on usmleworld, their qtns are SOOOO hard, but I learned so much from it.

I don't use Kaplan Qbank because it is just not worth it. I think most people use Kaplan not because they really think it is good, but simply because they are afraid to to try new things.

Kaplan Qbank is over-rated!

As a 3rd year who have already passed the board, I highly recommend usmlexchange (http://www.usmlexchange.com) for several reasons.

1) They offer great test questions - the length, the style, the complexity are just as good as Kaplan, USMLERx and the others.

2) They have a huge question bank - 6000+ at the time of writing.

3) No subscription necessary - I signup in the summer before second year to start reviewing. I could have signed up even earlier and it wouldn't cost me anything.

4) It's much more reasonably priced than Kaplan. the Kaplan Qbank is NOT any better than the other qbanks, so be a SMART medical student, don't waste money on Kaplan.

hotfusion: don't you think you are over rating(perhaps advertising) usmlexchange?

I think any of the proven question banks are good and reliable (ie. Qbank, USMLERx, etc.) Many students have all reported doing extremely well after finishing the thousands of questions from these question banks. Qbank is good since they give you a vignette/case section with >1000 questions. However, i don't think it's worth the extra money. I got it though, since everyone in my class did and my close friends in 3rd yr all used it to ace Step 1.

i didn't use qbank. too expensive.

i did use a bootleg qbank, burned on a cd. worked wonders :)

I used USMLERx at the end of the school year and finished in the middle of my studying. I am now one week away and have almost completed QBank as well and I think that USMLERX is more like the NBME's, but QBank serves its purpose. It seems to hit more detailed stuff with the questions that truly see how well you know it. Then the key is in the explanations where it says why and how, etc... I have been so frustrated at times with QBank, but you have to use it as a learning tool, not as an assessment.

I am pretty pleased with UW. Also have BSS, Robbins, and the usual *unmentionables* for question sources. Plus the extra 250 q's from the RR books on the stu-con site. Oh yeah, just donated ten bucks and got 400q's on USMLEexchange.com.

hotfusion: don't you think you are over rating(perhaps advertising) usmlexchange?
I agree............espically regarding the "no subscription" part............you do get 50 questions for free when you sign up, but after that you have to make a "small" donation to get more questions.........I called bs on that when I read it and didn't bother with it anymore............sticking with qbank, usmleworld and step1Rx

I agree............espically regarding the "no subscription" part............you do get 50 questions for free when you sign up, but after that you have to make a "small" donation to get more questions.........I called bs on that when I read it and didn't bother with it anymore............sticking with qbank, usmleworld and step1Rx

Can't be anymore BS than folks selling/buying Goljan audios and notes on eBay for prices as high as 50 bucks when they are uploaded all over the net for free, right?

You don't have to donate money to get more questions on the exchange, BTW. You can also write and submit questions/explanations to earn more q's as well. I think it's a cool system, but, to each there own.

Can't be anymore BS than folks selling/buying Goljan audios and notes on eBay for prices as high as 50 bucks when they are uploaded all over the net for free, right?

You don't have to donate money to get more questions on the exchange, BTW. You can also write and submit questions/explanations to earn more q's as well. I think it's a cool system, but, to each there own.
hmm good point...........plus someone said $10 for 400 questions? that I didn't know about.........

thanks mesoderm