anyone else studying like CRAZY but not getting the score that reflects it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Humi1211

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I've been studying 8-10 hours/day for the past two months. I have listened to audio osmosis, read all kaplan material, and even worked through
ek stuff like 1001 qs in chemistry and their verbal. But i am not seeing ANY improvement! i took my first kaplan full length june 27 and got a 24, i took my second one this past sat. and scored a 24 again even though I studied and had the material down. I've been taking a bunch of full lengths, but i'm still not seeing much improvement! what do i do with only three weeks left? take and hope for the best? i mean i've already been working as hard as i can. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about kaplan FLs but you should definitley try one of the AAMC tests (as a more accurate score predictor), specifically 5r or 3r (available for free) to get your confidence up.

here's the thing.................Kaplan tests suck.............the AAMC ones r more realistic.........plus.......you don't want to be doing good now because that'll put ur mind at ease.....then when it comes........the real MCAT'll kick you in the butt..........just relax and focus........I'm on the same boat with u

I'm in the same boat too. Very frustrated. I took the 2nd Kaplan full length and my score went up in biological sciences which I hadnt been studying, and actually went down in physical sciences which is what I had really been focusing on...and which is the part I usually do better in. I have no idea why that happened...and how I should be studying since my current methods obviously backfired!

Members don't see this ad :)
Humi1211 said:
Okay, so I've been studying 8-10 hours/day for the past two months. I have listened to audio osmosis, read all kaplan material, and even worked through
ek stuff like 1001 qs in chemistry and their verbal. But i am not seeing ANY improvement! i took my first kaplan full length june 27 and got a 24, i took my second one this past sat. and scored a 24 again even though I studied and had the material down. I've been taking a bunch of full lengths, but i'm still not seeing much improvement! what do i do with only three weeks left? take and hope for the best? i mean i've already been working as hard as i can. :(

I tok the April MCAT. And I was also did the whole Kaplan thing.
And, I think it's important to review your practice exams- spend at least one day reviewing (the right and wrong answers). Also, have you done any AAMC practice tests. My real score actual was in line with AAMC (closer to the end...2 weeks before TEST DAY). I think AAMC 6-9 are a must.

Also, take some time off at the end of the day to everything NON-MCAT :laugh:

Good Luck...!

~PG

Humi1211 said:

I am with you. I spend hours a day studying. My score is NOT budging... very concerned... but, 08/19/06 regardless.. (hey someone has to pull the curve down right? :love: )

pufferfish said:
I am with you. I spend hours a day studying. My score is NOT budging... very concerned... but, 08/19/06 regardless.. (hey someone has to pull the curve down right? :love: )

i really, really am starting to think moving that score up has to do with practicing the tests more so than going through the material.

you gotta learn the pattern of the test - some answers just start to pop-out as wrong answers

the legacy of the stagnant score has also been mine so i've been focusing mostly on doing questions and reading explanations for wrong answers since my last test....taking another diag on fri, we'll see if it worked!!

Gatsby14777 said:
I'm in the same boat too. Very frustrated. I took the 2nd Kaplan full length and my score went up in biological sciences which I hadnt been studying, and actually went down in physical sciences which is what I had really been focusing on...and which is the part I usually do better in. I have no idea why that happened...and how I should be studying since my current methods obviously backfired!

Same here. Physical sciences is usually my best section out of the three, but on Kaplan #2 my physical score was the lowest of the three and my biological sciences was the highest. Maybe it's the test, not us.

odddodo said:
Same here. Physical sciences is usually my best section out of the three, but on Kaplan #2 my physical score was the lowest of the three and my biological sciences was the highest. Maybe it's the test, not us.

kaplan #2 curve for PS was a bit harder b/c it was easier (less calculations) than the other kaplan ones. So even if u got a bunch right you were likely to get an ok score.

Humi1211 said:

Jesus christ, take a break. No seriously, I was doing the same for a long time - 6-8 hours of studying a day plus 40 hours a week in lab and volunteer stuff. Yea, I did good on 3R, but 4R and EK #1g came and rocked me (went from 33 to 27 and 28). Decided to take a two day hiatus from MCAT and BAM! 33 on 5R...almost a 34 (short by one f'ing point).

Point is, your mind needs a rest and WILL take one whether you want it to or not. It would be better for you to decide when that break is then have it occur randomly at an inopportune moment...like test day. Also Kaplan blows, hands down, best idea is to take the AAMC practice tests. They are the best indication. And don't let high or ok scores go to your head, 30+ is great and all, but 35+ would be better. AND don't let low scores get you down!

try to understand material

all i can say is that TPR full lengths were utter and complete garbage, the PS was cold and hard, the VR ...some were just too long..the BS too easy

take aamc, not kaplan.

Moses MD said:
Jesus christ, take a break. No seriously, I was doing the same for a long time - 6-8 hours of studying a day plus 40 hours a week in lab and volunteer stuff. Yea, I did good on 3R, but 4R and EK #1g came and rocked me (went from 33 to 27 and 28). Decided to take a two day hiatus from MCAT and BAM! 33 on 5R...almost a 34 (short by one f'ing point).

Point is, your mind needs a rest and WILL take one whether you want it to or not. It would be better for you to decide when that break is then have it occur randomly at an inopportune moment...like test day. Also Kaplan blows, hands down, best idea is to take the AAMC practice tests. They are the best indication. And don't let high or ok scores go to your head, 30+ is great and all, but 35+ would be better. AND don't let low scores get you down!

Rest is key. I hit a 37 after a week off (just a little studying) on AAMC 6. Then a 36 on AAMC 7 the next week.

I honestly am not believing that reviewing material 8 hours a day helps many people. Usually its understanding what questions are asking. Hence the "standardized" part.... Understanding where mistakes are so that you don't make them again is the key.