Anyone Else Unable to Find Work as a Pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Look at all her posts and majority of them is about the evils of what her former employer did. Nothing has changed and I am not surprised (wonder if the unemployed boyfriend is still holding her back from relocating) Angela-If you haven't managed to land a steady position all these years then you will never be employed. Tough news but someone has to say it to you.
 
If I learned anything, one has to take the initiative, get themselves dirty, work at the bottom and suffer through it all to get where they want. Wallowing in self pity does not help at all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha you have got to be kidding me. Talk about shady. With the amount of advise you spit out in every thread, I hope everyone takes note and knows what an unethical individual you are

Obviously everyone should take my posts seriously! Lol
 
Sadly, there are still jobs out there, but employers are now looking for experienced pharmacists.

I think personality and work ethic is 90%, and the 10% you can learn on the job. Hiring managers will pass up the most eager and willing new grad for an old geezer with "experience" on cruise control and knows how to get by doing the bare minimum. SIGH.

I agree that work ethic and personality >>> experience, which is why my company is hiring grad interns in my area when there are experienced candidates we could hire instead.
 
Wow, teaching people to lie isn't professional and unethical. Also, you twisted your arguments to whatever it takes to make your nonsense points. No wonder why people do not respect this guy. My last post for this kind of person.

Wow you didn't mention you are working at the largest Indian reservation in your post. I am shocked!
 
Look at all her posts and majority of them is about the evils of what her former employer did. Nothing has changed and I am not surprised (wonder if the unemployed boyfriend is still holding her back from relocating) Angela-If you haven't managed to land a steady position all these years then you will never be employed. Tough news but someone has to say it to you.
My boyfriend left me and moved away. He never even said goodbye, if it's your business. He is a jerk. I'm here by myself dealing with this problem. I've even been applying to nonpharmacy related desk jobs, and no replies.
 
old ppl dont wanna retire mainly b/c the cost of healthcare. but now with obamacare they really should consider retiring. did they not save up all those years as a pharmacists? and dont they get social security checks? i dont see why these old pharmacists aren't ready to retire. why not spend the remaining years enjoying life?

Actually, it's because they know they won't get another job if they do leave, because a BS degree, or even a Pharm.D. without a residency, identifies them as someone who's experienced, and employers know they can't dink them around regarding pay, benefits, and overall treatment by the company.
 
Pharmacists used to make $40-50,000 in the 90s. They were a dime a dozen then and will be again.

the thing is that gas was like .90 or a buck a gallon and you could buy a week worth of groceries for a family of 5 for only ~ 40-50 bucks back then. With the massive pile of high-interest student loans that a pharmacy graduate racked up these days, one would have to live in your car and eat hotdogs to pay back those loans living on those 40-50K salary (sigh)
 
Last edited:
Im sorry but the pharmacy market isn't that tight where someone remains unemployed for years. Figure out what you are doing wrong and fix it. I don't know your past or situation but it gets to the point where you got to suck it up sometimes. I know plenty of 2014 grads who have gotten jobs.

I'm sorry for coming off harsh but it needs to be said.
 
Im sorry but the pharmacy market isn't that tight where someone remains unemployed for years. Figure out what you are doing wrong and fix it. I don't know your past or situation but it gets to the point where you got to suck it up sometimes. I know plenty of 2014 grads who have gotten jobs.

well, I know plenty of those people in my working life. To get a job or keep a job, they "suck it up" sometimes or all the time 🙂 jk

I get your point though...

so those new grads of 2014 you know what kind of salary and benefit package they got offered ?? How easy they got their jobs ??

if you could, share their experiences. We can all learn from those.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
the thing is that gas was like .90 or a buck a gallon and you could buy a week worth of groceries for a family of 5 for only ~ 40-50 bucks back then. With the massive pile of high-interest student loans that a pharmacy graduate racked up these days, one would have to live in your car and eat hotdogs to pay back those loans living on those 40-50K salary (sigh)

Gas hasn't been $1 a gallon since the 1980s, and I'd like to know what kind of groceries you could buy for $10 a person for a week in the 1990s.
 
Gas hasn't been $1 a gallon since the 1980s, and I'd like to know what kind of groceries you could buy for $10 a person for a week in the 1990s.

I speak on my own experience. It depends on where you lived and what you ate (and my family ate well back then).
 
I made a thread months ago about pharmacist positions in central PA. Just looked at the company site again, and there are three positions posted. I only know one person who hasn't secured employment (graduated last year) and that is because they are stubborn and won't relocate.
 
I made a thread months ago about pharmacist positions in central PA. Just looked at the company site again, and there are three positions posted. I only know one person who hasn't secured employment (graduated last year) and that is because they are stubborn and won't relocate.

thanks for your info. We need more of those posts !!
 
He speaks the truth. I'm looking in undesirable locations and still can't find anything.
Get licensed in Texas. Then get the numbers of some district managers down there. I know for a fact that there are several positions in the borderlands right now that need filled. You won't be considered until you get that license. I used to be where you are. But trust me, South Texas. There are jobs there. Its miserable, boring, but there is work.
 
It's not hard to get hired by IHS. People constantly come and go. And 2 months in Alaska where u were is a piece a cake.
I only spent 2 months there and it is one of the best experience I can ever have. I see things that most people never have a chance to see. After that exp, my cv becomes the top of several companies and I got hired easily. Again, people always complain no job but never be willing to do what it takes to get a job. I feel sorry for those. You will never get a job if you keep thinking doom and gloom. You waste of your energy and speak negative over your life. Guess what that is what you get for what you speak.
ot
 
It's not hard to get hired by IHS. People constantly come and go. And 2 months in Alaska where u were is a piece a cake.

ot
That's the point...and Angela seems to be avoiding every post that has the word IHS in it.
 
This is not true. I remember 0.95-1.00 sometime in the late 90's
Gas was still $1.25 in early 2000s, gas hungry SUV was all the craze back then while I was driving a freaking unfashionable Toyota corolla. Thank god I don't get hit by a Suburban. But then again, I was over partied and over sexed back then...oh well, things come and gone, that's life.
 
This exactly....no excuses. You write your own future. No-one here knows what you have or have not done to obtain a job, but we are all rooting for you and offering advice/help. Criticism is difficult to take, but you must to achieve your goals. I'll give you an example, my brother is a media specialist. He created a CV in the form of a Google search page and got noticed by a major magazine and voted one of the 10 best CVs that year. He got multiple job offers soon after. Point is, distinguish your self and don't shy away from people (strangers) spreading your name among our pharmacy community.

I share your sentiment. I believe that, ideally, the world be a true meritocracy, may the best win.

Having said that, we are not. And as a centrist and pragmatist, I hope people will recognize that the fact that we can't just discard the those who loses. If for anything, its to enable a place for the survival of the fittest.

For each winner, there has to by logic at least one loser. Is we have a > 1:1 ratio, the winners risk revolt. A logical realist would seek the optimal balance where the meritorious can thrive without being shot by a majority of resentful that lost. History is ripe with examples of nations the balance skewed too far. The intelligent winners should know to rule wisely and discretely, and above all, build a system that fair where truly the hard working and intelligent rise to the top.
 
I share your sentiment. I believe that, ideally, the world be a true meritocracy, may the best win.

Having said that, we are not. And as a centrist and pragmatist, I hope people will recognize that the fact that we can't just discard the those who loses. If for anything, its to enable a place for the survival of the fittest.

For each winner, there has to by logic at least one loser. Is we have a > 1:1 ratio, the winners risk revolt. A logical realist would seek the optimal balance where the meritorious can thrive without being shot by a majority of resentful that lost. History is ripe with examples of nations the balance skewed too far. The intelligent winners should know to rule wisely and discretely, and above all, build a system that fair where truly the hard working and intelligent rise to the top.

Mr McNugget says it ain't like that.
 
Gas was still $1.25 in early 2000s, gas hungry SUV was all the craze back then while I was driving a freaking unfashionable Toyota corolla. Thank god I don't get hit by a Suburban. But then again, I was over partied and over sexed back then...oh well, things come and gone, that's life.
I drive a corolla! Lol
 
[QUOTE="xiphoid2010, post: 15192225, member: 164454"] I share your sentiment. I believe that, ideally, the world be a true meritocracy, may the best win.

Having said that, we are not. And as a centrist and pragmatist, I hope people will recognize that the fact that we can't just discard the those who loses. If for anything, its to enable a place for the survival of the fittest.


For each winner, there has to by logic at least one loser. Is we have a > 1:1 ratio, the winners risk revolt. A logical realist would seek the optimal balance where the meritorious can thrive without being shot by a majority of resentful that lost. History is ripe with examples of nations the balance skewed too far. The intelligent winners should know to rule wisely and discretely, and above all, build a system that fair where truly the hard working and intelligent rise to the top. [/QUOTE]


the welfare state ?? 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called some of the job agencies I am signed up with, and I was not selected for any of the jobs I applied to in other states. Maybe because I am an out of state applicant?
 
I called some of the job agencies I am signed up with, and I was not selected for any of the jobs I applied to in other states. Maybe because I am an out of state applicant?


what ?? have you applied to those positions in Alaska, S Texas, N Dakota, Central PA yet ????? :thinking: :thinking:

look up the posts just above you and contact those fellow pharmacists ASAP. They're reaching out to help you. All you need to do is to do the same to you. Do not wait any longer as someone already said above : it takes a job to get a job.

out of state applicant ???? sounds like applying to college all over again....... something is really wrong here.

please, at this point, if you are really desperate for jobs, post your resume here with your real name cut out. I am sure many here could help you to revise your resume, give additional advice, and/or refer or connect you to a job.
 
Angela, first let me say that I'm sorry your boyfriend left you. He sounds like a world-class d-bag. But, in leaving, this d-bag has actually done you a favor (two, if you count "not being in a relationship with a d-bag anymore" as a favor, and I would). 😉

The other favor he's done you is that you don't have a reason to stay where you are anymore. You're single, you don't have children, and you don't have anything tying you to the area where you currently live. You've been given some good leads in this thread; I hope you take them. Let me give you some more advice, which I hope you take: forget job agencies. I've been unemployed before and given my name to headhunters. Either I never heard anything from them again, or they called me again a few weeks later with their introductory speech, as if they'd completely forgotten me and were cold-calling all over again. I found a job WITHOUT their help.

I've also found careerbuilder.com, Monster, and all the others to be of limited utility. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like job advertisements stay up there after the position is filled. I had better luck just going to individual employers' websites and looking for jobs there.

Finally, the other thing I did while unemployed was take a long, hard look in the mirror and assess just how much of the situation I found myself in was my own fault. It wasn't much fun to admit that I was largely responsible for the predicament I found myself in, but once I accepted that and worked to correct my deficiencies, life got a whole lot better. I strongly encourage you to do this too.

Good luck to you.
 
Angela, first let me say that I'm sorry your boyfriend left you. He sounds like a world-class d-bag. But, in leaving, this d-bag has actually done you a favor (two, if you count "not being in a relationship with a d-bag anymore" as a favor, and I would). 😉

The other favor he's done you is that you don't have a reason to stay where you are anymore. You're single, you don't have children, and you don't have anything tying you to the area where you currently live. You've been given some good leads in this thread; I hope you take them. Let me give you some more advice, which I hope you take: forget job agencies. I've been unemployed before and given my name to headhunters. Either I never heard anything from them again, or they called me again a few weeks later with their introductory speech, as if they'd completely forgotten me and were cold-calling all over again. I found a job WITHOUT their help.

I've also found careerbuilder.com, Monster, and all the others to be of limited utility. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like job advertisements stay up there after the position is filled. I had better luck just going to individual employers' websites and looking for jobs there.

Finally, the other thing I did while unemployed was take a long, hard look in the mirror and assess just how much of the situation I found myself in was my own fault. It wasn't much fun to admit that I was largely responsible for the predicament I found myself in, but once I accepted that and worked to correct my deficiencies, life got a whole lot better. I strongly encourage you to do this too.

Good luck to you.
So what did you do to finally find work? The pharmacy I was working at closing was not my fault.
 
So what did you do to finally find work? The pharmacy I was working at closing was not my fault.

Checked employers' websites religiously for months. Finally got in PRN somewhere and was a model employee, eventually got in FT. And no, I don't think the pharmacy closing was your fault, but nor do I think you can pin ALL of your employment troubles on fate.
 
The pharmacy where I work PRN just opened 3 full-time positions recently. It's one of the big two LTC operations and in the Midwest. Check the company websites.
 
The pharmacy where I work PRN just opened 3 full-time positions recently. It's one of the big two LTC operations and in the Midwest. Check the company websites.

Edit: Upon checking the company website myself, they have openings all over the country. For what it's worth, I got hired with no LTC experience and no connections whatsoever.
 
What company is that? I'm happy to apply anywhere. I take the BS people say like about IHS with a grain of salt. Is my online friend Grumps out there somewhere? Message me, miss talking to you.
 
Gas hasn't been $1 a gallon since the 1980s, and I'd like to know what kind of groceries you could buy for $10 a person for a week in the 1990s.

Hey now. I bought gas for $1/gallon in San Diego for a few months back in 2004 or 2005.
 
My pediatric hospital needs 2 more pharmacists to work the overnight shift. PM me with details and I'll try to hook you up with the hiring manager. After 3 months of training, you'll have the chance to work with me. 😀

that is a great offer !! we need more people like Sparda !! you got my 2 thumbs up !! 🙂

keep us updated.
 
My pediatric hospital needs 2 more pharmacists to work the overnight shift. PM me with details and I'll try to hook you up with the hiring manager. After 3 months of training, you'll have the chance to work with me. 😀

Do they have to be hot?
 
My pediatric hospital needs 2 more pharmacists to work the overnight shift. PM me with details and I'll try to hook you up with the hiring manager. After 3 months of training, you'll have the chance to work with me. 😀
Nassau county, right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What about working at a mail-order pharmacy? I used to work at one in Texas & they were always hiring Pharmacists.

If you have an iPhone -- download this app to search for job postings: Indeed Jobs