Anyone Else Unable to Find Work as a Pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Apply for everything...

It will be hard to get a job in a state without a license. Maybe work on transferring your license to a few states and expand your search.

Reactions: 1 users
I graduated in May 2013 and I just found a job last month with Target. It took me 6-7 months of applying to literally every job within my state to find something. The market IS tight and even if you want to relocate it's hard. You have to just be at the right place at the right time. I got the job at Target because several people just decided to leave, but that doesn't happen often.

Send me a PM about your situation, maybe I can offer some helpful advice!
I remember you had trouble finding a job. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Barrow Alaska? I no longer live in barrow alaska. But because of the experience I have from barrow I got the job I am currently working. You are making fool of yourself in this forum and no one is respecting you. Sorry for you to waste of time forcing people to believe what your doom and gloom life is. Lol
how long were you in Barrow? Was it the IHS?
Curious, because I've done a rotation at the FDA and learned more about the IHS and am interested.

I'm actually leaving that hospital. Pediatrics is not for me.

u have another job lined up?

proof that the grass is not always greener on the other side!

Reactions: 1 user
u have another job lined up?

proof that the grass is not always greener on the other side!

Yeah, gonna go full-time at the independent until I get offered a full-time hospital job at an adult hospital. I was hoping to just transfer back to my old hospital and old position but apparently you cannot do that and have to resign, and then re-apply into the system and go thru the hiring process all over again.

I did interview at an agency this week for a hospital in Manhattan, but it is a temp assignment. Are agencies usually temp assignments? Do you get health insurance working with agencies? Vacation time?

Wow, that didn't last long. Just out of curiosity, what was it that you didn't like about it?

#1 - Having to go on Lexi-Comp or look up a policy every time I'm verifying an order and having to check the docs calculations for each order since most orders have to be entered in mg/kg. I'd rather just memorize usual doses and only look stuff up when I can't remember something.
#2 - Walked into a couple of rapid responses where the kid was screaming in pain, and witnessed a code blue in the PICU for a kid who was walking/talking normally the day before (was delivering some meds trying to learn the place the day before, kid challenged me to a game on the XBOX they have in all the patient rooms so I was hanging out with him for a few mins the day before), that kinda got to me psychologically.
#3 - Some policies that are just ridiculous, such as the IV policies. Practicing as if it is a 797 environment when it's not. Telling you to complete the IV log as you go along as opposed to completing all the IV log work before you start or after you finish. Makes it absurdly hard to work quickly. I'm not going to use hand sanitizer or alcohol every time I touch my pen or touch a label or leave the IV hood or touch my face. I'll change my gloves, mask, cap when I notice they're getting dirty, not every 30 minutes. If I draw up some extra liquid from the vial or bag, I'll just spill it onto the hood and clean it up when I'm done. Plus, there are some pharmacists (not management) who believe in these policies and will call you out on it for not complying. This one chick went off on me because I dropped a vial on the floor and still used it (even though I swabbed it with alcohol).
#4 - Some pharmacists who've been there forever (not management) thinking that they can talk to me like I'm some kid on rotations.

that's why I prefer retail over hospital. I can't stand $hitty/gossipy co-workers. if it happens in retail, I just tell them to go back to work cus there's only one chief. too many chiefs in the hospital setting, not enough indians

I have a great boss. she does not micromanage and I haven't seen her since my last review. it must mean that I'm kicking ass when I don't see my boss and get minimal emails

everyone thinks they're the alpha dog...

Members don't see this ad :)
In the hospital it can definitely feel like there are too many cooks in the kitchen. As a new grad it was hard to break out of the P4 mindset of just pleasing everyone to pass. Eventually you realize it's okay to tell people to piss off, if not in those exact words.

that's why I prefer retail over hospital. I can't stand $hitty/gossipy co-workers. if it happens in retail, I just tell them to go back to work cus there's only one chief. too many chiefs in the hospital setting, not enough indians

I have a great boss. she does not micromanage and I haven't seen her since my last review. it must mean that I'm kicking ass when I don't see my boss and get minimal emails
I totally agree. In hospital it's like too many cooks in the kitchen. When ur in retail there's just one boss.

I totally agree. In hospital it's like too many cooks in the kitchen. When ur in retail there's just one boss.

Depends on the shift too. Daytime is definitely a ****storm in the hospital. 11 pharmacists all working together, too much. Unfortunately, that's when I had to do my training, in the daytime even though my shift was going to be overnight where its much more relaxed. My old hospital where I worked 3pm-11pm, was just 2 pharmacists and although we got busy as **** at times, it worked good because one of us would verify orders and check tech work and the other would make IVs and narcotics. Plus, I was the senior dude on the shift so once 5PM came around, I was technically in charge.

Peds Motrin, 60 mg/kg q2h right sparda ? Tehehehe

Absolutely not. 10 mg/kg q8h

Dosing wasn't a big issue as long as you look it up and no one is giving you a hard time trying to rush you. Easy drugs like that are no problem.

What I'm talking about is like: I'm making an IV and a pharmacist working next to me would say some **** like, "if this was the Part 3 exam you'd fail, you're working less than 6 inches into the hood". That's what I don't need to hear.

To be fair you should be following clean room standards and medication safety procedures... Anyone can make a mistake. Peds is a high risk area and that is why there are so many safety measures in place.

Thank goodness for the sick children of NYC that you are quitting!

Reactions: 2 users
To be fair you should be following clean room standards and medication safety procedures... Anyone can make a mistake. Peds is a high risk area and that is why there are so many safety measures in place.

Thank goodness for the sick children of NYC that you are quitting!

Except, it is not a clean room. It's a regular room with an IV hood installed. No ante room. Why can't I just spray my pen with alcohol and use it after that without having to change my gloves? Isn't the pen now sterile? Even if you put a dirty item into the IV hood, you can just pour alcohol on the area and it is now sterile.

Except, it is not a clean room. It's a regular room with an IV hood installed. No ante room. Why can't I just spray my pen with alcohol and use it after that without having to change my gloves? Isn't the pen now sterile? Even if you put a dirty item into the IV hood, you can just pour alcohol on the area and it is now sterile.

Umm... You know alcohol doesn't kill everything, right? ...

I know hand sanitizer doesn't kill norovirus (cruise ships) and C. diff.

You could autoclave your pen, but it might not write well afterward.

Hey remember the fungal meningitis outbreak? That was because of poor cleanroom procedures.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm making an IV and a pharmacist working next to me would say some **** like, "if this was the Part 3 exam you'd fail, you're working less than 6 inches into the hood". That's what I don't need to hear.

So, you're upset because they treat a non-clean room like a clean room AND upset because they point out that your IV prep is occurring too close to that non-sterile room? Sounds like they were warning you about what you pointed out yourself.

So, you're upset because they treat a non-clean room like a clean room AND upset because they point out that your IV prep is occurring too close to that non-sterile room? Sounds like they were warning you about what you pointed out yourself.

If the person telling me this was the director, assistant director, supervisor, etc, I'd have no problem with it. I have a problem with other staff pharmacists telling me how to do things. You do things the way you like to do things, and I'll do it the way I like to do it.

I don't know. This may be your last opportunity to work in a hospital.

I like to do things my way too but there should be limits as well.

I don't know. This may be your last opportunity to work in a hospital.

I like to do things my way too but there should be limits as well.

I'm still working at the adult hospital, I like it there. Run a lot better than the other one. Either way, I'm sticking to adult pharmacy.

the company i work for (Rx Care Pharmacy) is always looking for qualified pharmacists as we continue to expand, currently licensed to open pharmacies in Texas, New York, New jersey, Florida, North Carolina, Louisiana, Michigan and Virginia. If you are open to these areas shoot us over your resume and more than likely we will be in touch.
The above PHARMACY is a Company run by indians and they have history of commiting frauds..In Michigan they had a chiroprator and dentist who wrote fake prescriptions and made over 2 million a month....DEA bust thier A$$ so they came down to florida in 2008...don't join THEM unless you don't care about your license...

Last edited:
The reason we have standards and USP 797 is to prevent "professionals" thinking they know better and want to eat a sandwich while making an IV or doing surgery. Common sense isn't the same in everyone.

I also second that you have a horrible attitude regarding how peers can't help you. Just because they aren't a supervisor doesn't mean they don't know more than you. Some people choose not to be a supervisor.

The reason we have standards and USP 797 is to prevent "professionals" thinking they know better and want to eat a sandwich while making an IV or doing surgery. Common sense isn't the same in everyone.

I also second that you have a horrible attitude regarding how peers can't help you. Just because they aren't a supervisor doesn't mean they don't know more than you. Some people choose not to be a supervisor.

You're making way too many assumptions on what was basically a simple opinion from him. I think you're the one with the bad attitude.

Informatics pharmacist here.

It took me 9 months post-graduation (May 2013) to find a job, any job!

I am located in one of the most brutal job markets in the country: NYC!

Couldn't relocate due to family issues. Had to tough it out. Finally a recruiter took pity on me and hired me. My salary is 1/2 the pharmacist salary (I am treating it like a residency). However, b/c of this job, I have a skill set that is hot right now. I have recruiters replying back to my inquiries every week.

To recap: I do not dispense. I do not counsel. I do not compound.

I have yet to work in a traditional pharmacy environment.

C'est la vie.

Just because they aren't a supervisor doesn't mean they don't know more than you. Some people choose not to be a supervisor.

I confirm that. At a hospital in Los Angeles, I met a great old man who was a part time pharmacist who worked night shift. He seemed very mellow and soft. One time, he rescued the pharmacy like this....Government's inspector was going inside the hospital to inspect compliance....This old man looked at the name tag of the inspector and started a long lengthy conversation about the common roots they had...how his grandparents immigrated from another country...how his parents worked through hardship for him...how he worked through hardship to be here.....just the whole interesting history of his long family....I was curious but could not pull myself from the conversation because he had his charm of talking....
Anyway, when my pharmacist finally released the inspector from this conversation...I asked if they were related. My pharmacist said no....I just wanted to tie down the inspector....The less time inspector has to inspect, the less trouble inspector will find.

He was hospital director for over 20 years in Hawaii and still had extensive network of hospital directors that share stories to each other....

We never knew...never knew...a gentle wise part time pharmacist who worked quietly in the night...

...Just sharing...with love...and friendship. He taught me silently.

Reactions: 3 users
If the person telling me this was the director, assistant director, supervisor, etc, I'd have no problem with it. I have a problem with other staff pharmacists telling me how to do things. You do things the way you like to do things, and I'll do it the way I like to do it.
You just graduated do I forgive you as you got a long way to go in this profession.

we all gotta learn - you can't be too proud to take advice from people with more experience that you (even less experience than you for that matter) - I have been out 10 years and am still learning from both MD's, new grads, new journals, etc - if you took that attitude from me, trust me, you would not be lasting long at my place.

we all gotta learn - you can't be too proud to take advice from people with more experience that you (even less experience than you for that matter) - I have been out 10 years and am still learning from both MD's, new grads, new journals, etc - if you took that attitude from me, trust me, you would not be lasting long at my place.

I don't mind listening to advice, doesn't mean I have to follow it. Don't get mad and tell everyone when I choose to do things my way.

I dont mean to pile on...

But part of the reason I think I learned so much this first year has been because Ive been willing to hear everyone out and try to see their side. Sometimes they suggest things that I think arent important or too cumbersome so I dont do it. When they approach me about it later I admit that their way kinda make sense but I list why I do things the way I do and tell them thanks for looking out for me. I stay firm, but polite and appreciative (bc I am). Whats really scary is when people are too afraid/decide its not worth the trouble to bring up issues that actually may need changing and either you make an error or they talk smack and people start judging you falsely (hey, it happens).

Hospitals have policies and procedures to ensure patient safety....if you don't like following rules, hospital isn't for you. If the pharmacists are training you, it is their job to ensure you are following the proper policy for doing things. They are trying to help you, wise up! You will never be able to do things your way, even as a manager/director...don't be such a smartass and open your mind. You are "challenging" things that are trivial...spend your effort tackling bigger issues. You aren't going to stop a hospital from following clean room procedures.

We've all tried giving you decent advice over the years and you just don't listen.

I don't mind listening to advice, doesn't mean I have to follow it. Don't get mad and tell everyone when I choose to do things my way.
you have a long life ahead of you young man.

You are lucky you work in a unionized environment or you would have the door hit you in the arse so damn fast

you have a long life ahead of you young man.

You are lucky you work in a unionized environment or you would have the door hit you in the arse so damn fast

Not anymore. I left my unionized hospital for that peds hospital which wasn't union. Then I just left the peds hospital. I'm currently full-time at an independent and per-diem at another hospital.

Not anymore. I left my unionized hospital for that peds hospital which wasn't union. Then I just left the peds hospital. I'm currently full-time at an independent and per-diem at another hospital.

What is your long term plan? compounding pharmacy? looking to return to a hospital?

I don't get to read this forum often enough to know if Sparda is right or wrong. What I can say for sure is good for him having the balls to make a change if he is unhappy.

Hey Sparda, if you see this, how long is reconstituted daptomycin good for? I've been a retail girl for 16 years, and now all of a sudden I have to be responsible for IVs too. The package insert tells me 48 hours, but the idiot we are calling PIC claims its good for 7 days.

Also, Sparda Sir, or anyone, how are real pharmacies handling the normal saline shortage? From the research I am doing this morning, it appears that Lactated Ringers would be the most appropriate substitute. But the holier than thou Pharmds I am working with keep throwing D5W into my vancos, and I have a huge problem with this. My patients fingerstick QID, and you can't tell me this isn't throwing off their readings.

What is your long term plan? compounding pharmacy? looking to return to a hospital?

I'm gonna try and learn as much as possible about the independent pharmacy business while I'm the SP here. Either partner up with the owner or get my friend to provide funding to go in on another pharmacy. Or if another FT position comes along at a hospital with great benefits, I'd have to see which one is better long term. There would be no pension plan at the independent.

I don't get to read this forum often enough to know if Sparda is right or wrong. What I can say for sure is good for him having the balls to make a change if he is unhappy.

Hey Sparda, if you see this, how long is reconstituted daptomycin good for? I've been a retail girl for 16 years, and now all of a sudden I have to be responsible for IVs too. The package insert tells me 48 hours, but the idiot we are calling PIC claims its good for 7 days.

44-48 hours.

Also, Sparda Sir, or anyone, how are real pharmacies handling the normal saline shortage? From the research I am doing this morning, it appears that Lactated Ringers would be the most appropriate substitute. But the holier than thou Pharmds I am working with keep throwing D5W into my vancos, and I have a huge problem with this. My patients fingerstick QID, and you can't tell me this isn't throwing off their readings.

I did not know there was a NS shortage right now. I guess the hospital I'm at has a pretty good supply on hand right now. The vancos at our hospital are placed in D5W by default since they are prepackaged frozen from the manufacturer but we compound it in NS for special cases.

Thank you! I knew our mouth breathing, knuckle dragging PIC was wrong.

You will be fine wherever you go.

I guess I just have one more question re:NS. Is there enough sugar in D5W to make a clinical difference in the glucose readings of our victims? If I was doing a low carb diet, I would not drink D5W. That's where I'm at with that.

Also, Sparda Sir, if you get to the point where you are really serious about opening an independent, I can put you in touch with a lovely man who owns several in your area. I grew up in Suffolk County, and my parents still live there. I come from a large Italian family, and have intimate knowledge about owning a family business in NY. Unless you have a huge family doing it with you, it's gonna be really hard, Babe.

We have 0 bags of 250ml and 500ml NS and we cant get anymore. Life freaking sucks right now.

LR usually comes in 1L bags, Ive never seen them smaller (not that they dont exist....) so in order to put them into 250ml bags wed have to compound them and the rule of thumb is to compound as little as possible.

D5W comes in the same sizes that NS come in, but weve been having problems with this as well. For each 250ml of d5w you get thats equal to an amp of Dextrose (I know this bc our dextrose amps were backordered last year as well......). So yes, youre changing the glucose, but if youve got a diabetic on SS this would be accounted for, and hopefully your vanco isnt q8 (hopefully only q12 or q24) so not as much.

Just this morning we had the director, lead pharmacist, and 2 techs all trying to source NS. What a waste of resources.