Anyone else w/ weird Tufts letter (post-interview)??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSuga

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got this weird letter from Tufts dated 12/20. I interviewed there on Nov 20th and was told that we'd either hear about an accept/ waitlist/ reject. However, the letter I got sounds more like a "hold." It says something like this (from tom slavin):
I am writing to let you know the status of your app. The committee has chosen not to make a decision at this time, and will review your file each time it meets. I cannot tell you when a decision will be made.

What does this mean? I'm confused...

Members don't see this ad.

A decision regarding your app has been deferred till the next meeting. In other words, you've been neither accepted, rejected, or waitlisted.

This is odd because Mr Slavin said that admission decisions will be sent out in Jan/Feb during the presentation before the interviews. But, no, I didn't get any letters like that from Tufts.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes, I received the same letter after interviewing in Jan. 2001, about 6 weeks later. "The committee has reviewed your file but has not yet reached a decision on your candidacy. The committee has instead opted to compare your credentials to those of applicants who will be interviewed throughout the remainder of the year." Basically, you have been placed on hold and could be accepted or rejected any time before May. Many of those placed on hold are placed on the official Wait List in the middle of May, and this past year I think at least a third of the class (probably more) was taken from the waitlist during the summer. Hope this helps. I am an M'05 at Tufts and am very pleased with the education I am receiving here, and by most of the students here. Love the H/P/F grading here too, which DOES make a difference regardless of what many people tell you. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! good luck!

Hey Katie, what do you mean by H/P/F does make a difference? Aren't most schools H/P/F these days? Are you saying that H/P/F is better than P/F? Just wondering...

Nevermind, I take it back since I received the same letter yesterday.

Originally posted by jargon124:

Hey Katie, what do you mean by H/P/F does make a difference?

I meant to say that H/P/F grading tends to facilitate a less competitive and stressful environment than the traditional letter grade system, even though many people on here who advocate the traditional letter grade system say otherwise. One of my classmates told me that he wished he had thought about grading systems when choosing a school, and feels very fortunate to have ended up at Tufts in retrospect.

Aren't most schools H/P/F these days?

Most private schools and the majority of state schools are H/P/F. However, there are a decent number of state schools (Maryland, East Tennessee State, UT-San Antonio) that use the traditional letter grade system, and a few other schools that use a disguised letter grade system (H/High Pass/Pass/Fail) (NYMC, Penn State, and a few others that I can't remember).

Are you saying that H/P/F is better than P/F? Just wondering...••
No way! Yale and Harvard and Case and NYU are all P/F. Of course, everyone has their own opinion on what the best grading system is, but most of my classmates seem to like H/P/F, and most of us would enjoy P/F as well. P=M.D. is a GREAT philosophy IMHO.