Anyone else wondering what the hell is wrong?!!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AliZ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I took my first diag a while back and got a wopping 14.

Verbal: 5
Bio:4
Physical Science: 5

So I figure, ok maybe that's the average for a first diag. I go on freakin' SDN and find that people are bitter with a 25-27 on their first shot! I totally understand how they can be upset and all but imagine how I feel now!?!?!? Am I the only one on this thing that had such a crappy score starting out!?!

Calling all people of all crappy diag numbers, let us come together and increase our scores (or at least let me know I'm not alone here!) :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

First of all take a few deep breaths.... now its time for you to plan. Make a study schedule, hit the areas that you are weak in first. Then practice, practice, practice!!!! There is no time for freaking out just stay calm and make sure that you study often. I made a 16 on my first diagnostic test in October and I took my 1st Full length in Jan and made a 25. (Kaplan's Early Bird Course)The numbers are going to increase for you just be patient. Some people are good test takers and some people will lie about their scores. You just have to focus and plan for your own success. If you believe in God I would pray to HIM to keep you focused!!! Also, make signs of your target score in your house, room, apartment or whatever just to keep you motivated!!! Good Luck and PM me if you need to talk!!! That's just my advice.... :)

One more thing I forgot to include.... Although I am very HAPPY to see an increase I know I have to study harder to reach my goal of 35-40.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aliz,
I know excatly how you feel. I got my diagnostic score back 2wks ago and I had a total of 18. I felt really disappointed because I took an online test be4 the class and received a 24. However, I have made a serious study schedule to stick to from now until April 16. Keep up the ole good faith. Just keep yourself motivated and the key is practice practice!!!!! I will recommended at least trying to do a full length test at least every weekend. PM me if you still need some more advice, we can help each other make it with a 35 or better on the real MCAT. :thumbup:

It's a standardized test. Did you have trouble with the SAT/ACT? If not, then you can most likely study and bring it up, no problem. If you generally have trouble with standardized tests, you'll probably have to study your butt off. It's been done.

hey dude, i got whipped the first time too. but it's called a diag for reason. for u freak out and start whippin ass on other stuff. just keep at it. practice makes perfect

Yeah so true. Thanks for the feedback guys. It's just that seeing all those first timers with 24-27 scores freaked me out! I've been studying pretty regularly every day so I'm hoping my next diag will be a heck of alot better than my first and my second.

I took the TPR 4921 Friday and went up 1 point in both bio. and verbal, which is a start I suppose. Bad thing is went down in physical science so I know where my weakness lies. Anyhow I slept on it all last night and now I'm more motivated to kick this MCATs A$$!!!! :laugh:

AliZ said:
Ok so I took my first diag a while back and got a wopping 14.

Verbal: 5
Bio:4
Physical Science: 5

So I figure, ok maybe that's the average for a first diag. I go on freakin' SDN and find that people are bitter with a 25-27 on their first shot! I totally understand how they can be upset and all but imagine how I feel now!?!?!? Am I the only one on this thing that had such a crappy score starting out!?!

Calling all people of all crappy diag numbers, let us come together and increase our scores (or at least let me know I'm not alone here!) :scared:

With TPR, I got a 17 on the first diag, and a 29 on the final diag in April. My April MCAT was 24, and August MCAT was 28. Hope this gives you some idea.

Keep in mind that up until the last 2 diags, which are actual old MCAT's, the first several diags are a bit harder than the real thing (on purpose.)

Also. . .I think that TPR and Kaplan make their diags a bit tough so you are motivated to start studying your butt off. I just began with an AAMC exam, not a diag. . .and supposedly 3R is the easiest of the AAMC exams as well.

Review your diags and take note of your weak spots, and as others have mentioned, make a plan of attack. We can motivate each other to keep on trucking to April 16th :)

ALiZ,

I had a 16 on the first PR test I took. The highest I've had thus far is a 24...:) Don't let that number get you down. YOu have to remember that when you take the first exam, you're nervous, and haven't adjusted to the time limitations...psychologically, you are completely unprepared. Practice does make perfect I believe> definitely pm me if you need to talk.

*me*

I had a low Kaplan diagnostic score last year, took the April MCAT and didn't too well. It bothered me too to see people freaking out over a 25. You have to realize that this a baseline level and you can only go up from there if you work hard. I am now studying to re-take the MCAT this April.

First of all....calm down. Find your center. Embrance your chi. Deep breath in.....hold it.....deep breath out.

Now that your mind is clear focus. I scored a 5 on the VR diagnostic and after finishing Unit 1 of Kaplan I increased the score to an 8 on the practice MCAT from the MCAt site.

What you need to do is look over the diagnostic report and see where your weakness is. Then focus on your syllabus and take it seriously. Do not cheat on the homework, do not cheat on the practice tests. Pay attention and ask for help.

I have set up a posting board that also has a chat room in yahoo groups http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MCATAPRIL2005/ and you can set up chat sessions, virtual study groups, or anything MCAT related.

Just relax and do not lose your focus and remain serious, this is not a joke.

Well, no one should be bitter about a 27 on their diagnostic (c'mon, it's the diagnostic!), but do remember that some people have their life's hopes pegged on becoming a research physician of some sort, which will require them to annihilate the MCAT, and a sub-30 score on the real thing would probably end that for them.