Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Anyone faced with setting up your own 3rd year rotations?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by momo7430, Mar 1, 2007.

1. momo7430

momo7430 Member

Hello all....

I'm an MSII at UNECOM and I'm in the process of trying to set up my own rotations for next year & I'm having NO LUCK.

I need to get back to FL from Maine because of an illness in the family. My school is trying to dissuade me from transferring but they want me to make all the contacts and set up all the cores myself. Hospitals have been NOT RECEPTIVE :thumbdown: . They have all the DO slots (it seems) set aside for students already, and my school couldn't be less helpful.

I've been contacting the Dir of Med Ed at the hospitals... does anyone have any experience with this drama? If so, I'd love some advice.

I may just go ahead and try for transfer b/c at least then I'd be in on a program using it's already set tracks.

Thanks!
    Mo

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bitsy3221

Resident [Any Field]
    Where in FL are you trying to set up your rotations?

4. momo7430

momo7430 Member

I'm trying to get back to South Florida. Seems that hospitals have their relationship with Nova and don't know what to say since they have no affiliation with my school. I would be applying to transfer to NSUCOM... I tried, Brow Gen Med Ctr (NBMC, CSMC), Clev Clinic and Columbia/Palms West so far. My mom is in South Fl so that's where I've gotta go :)
    It's home for me anyway, so I'm NOT upset about that, it's just STRESSFUL with no help from my current Clinical Affairs Office.

5. MacGyver

MacGyver Banned
    Banned

Any school that cant provide rotations needs to be shut down. ABsolutely idiotic.

WTF are the people over at the AACOM doing to allow this kind of BS to happen? What a ridiculous low set of standards they must set for accreditation. No wonder DO schools are popping up like zits everywhere.

6. Taus

Taus .

Attending Physician
    mac....I'm sure her school has rotations set for her back in the northeast....she needs to be in FL for family reasons....I don't see why its unreasonable for her school in Maine to not have affiliations in FL..

momo: if you need to be in FL then go through w/ the transfer to Nova (you said you tried..what exactly happened?)

7. momo7430

momo7430 Member

Hi Taus,

First step in transfer is sending a letter of intent to initiate the process. I sent that certified about a week and a half ago... haven't heard back yet.
    My school does have it's sites all set out in the NE, but what I think they're lacking is helping me do it at all. I know I'm not the first one to be in this type of situation- I'd even be greatful for a form letter of steps to take or something official from the school to fax to hospitals DME's. Right now, I've had several of the people suggest that I call the Clinical Affairs Office at Nova for guidance, I just think it's kind of sad that I have to rely on help from a school I don't even go to for help.
    It's one of the only shortcomings of my school. There's one woman in charge of this stuff and I don't know if she's overwhelmed with work or what but I still think she could step up and make a call or two about me for the sake of professionalism and to make it official. I can call DME's but for them to agree to add a spot, I don't have the details about contracts, malpractice and fees that my school will be willing to pay. UG!
    I appreciate your thoughts... :)
    ~Mo

8. Taus

Taus .

Attending Physician
    momo...if this is that important to you then you've got to risk ruffling a few feahters...ie go over her head w/ this and take it to a Dean... also calling Nova could possibly help and it definitely wouldn't make the situation any worse

9. Hard24Get

Hard24Get The black sleepymed

Resident [Any Field]
    It seems to me you could do this similar to setting up away rotations - you would contact the residency program of the subject you need to take (ie Emed for Emed 200, Int Med for med 200, etc), and apply to rotate there (they already have established relationships as you mentioned). You would not need anything from your school except proof of insurance. Your school should give you credit for each of these, the only problem being if you have to do a certain number of rotations at your home school to graduate. Also depends on how long you need to stay....:luck:

10. babyruth

babyruth Babyruth

Resident [Any Field]
    My advice would be to go ahead and do the transfer. If you haven't heard back from them, then you need to call and double check. Always be polite, it never hurts.

I agree with the above about applying for away rotations. This, however might take more than just proof of insurance depending on the hospital and its program. Some require contracts, proof of immunizations, insurance, education policies, etc. Some have limits on how many weeks you can do through their site. (This is why I suggest transferring to avoid the hassle). These programs usually have exclusive contracts with certain schools and/or programs that give priviledges to the home-town students. If it were easy, then everybody would be doing it, including foreign medical students.

You also need to start writing a letter about your hardships, proof of transfer for your school. This needs to be sent to your dean or other appropriate administrator. I would also try to set up a meeting with whomever you will be needing to go through (i.e. dean of student affairs, etc.) to discuss your case. Your school is probably not helping because, like you said, (1) they are overworked and your case takes extra time, or (2) they think you need to transfer and thus don't want to waste their time since you will not be a paying student anymore, or both.

Document and keep track of everything. Plus it is always good to speak to someone face to face. It is harder to be turned down in person than it is by email or over the phone. Give your best sob story and puppy dog face routine as well, it can't hurt. Best of luck!