Anyone familiar with these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cautious_optimism

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here familiar with the Clinical Psychology PhD programs at University of Maryland - Baltimore County, University of Nevada - Reno, and/or West Virginia University?

They are all seem to be well funded, though Baltimore County is a couple credits shy of full tuition remission for the first two years, but the stipend seems pretty good.

Members don't see this ad.

WVU and Reno are top notch, competitive programs. All three lean behavioral, with some leading theorists and researchers in the field (the Hayes et al. At Reno, edelstein at WVU, Catania at UMBC). Your talking people who literally wrote the books. Many graduates of these programs are well known researchers and faculty themselves.

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted but did not end up attending WVU and not because it was not a great program. Just not a good fit geography wise for the work I wanted to do (urban populations). They were and are continuing to do great work there, and the general cultural in that department is friendly and supportive, at least from the impressions I gathered during my interview weekend there (especially compared to similar R1 programs). I am also familiar with some of the faculty at UMBC and that program is top notch as well (and they are very happy in their positions).

Members don't see this ad :)
Notice that Hayes is no longer part of the clinical program at Reno and they have lost some big names recently. Consider these major red flags for the culture within the program. But the reputation is still strong.

Reactions: 1 user
Notice that Hayes is no longer part of the clinical program at Reno and they have lost some big names recently. Consider these major red flags for the culture within the program. But the reputation is still strong.

Really? Would you happen to know more about what it's like there?

Do you know who the faculty are who left UNR and where they went?