Anyone feel burned out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasMDstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on staying motivated and trying to prevent burn out when studying all the subjects as an undergraduate? I enjoy science and want to become a physician to help people however sometimes I feel burned out with all the subjects. Does anyone have any advice? Any special technique to help stay on track every week during the semester? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on staying motivated and trying to prevent burn out when studying all the subjects as an undergraduate? I enjoy science and want to become a physician to help people however sometimes I feel burned out with all the subjects. Does anyone have any advice? Any special technique to help stay on track every week during the semester? Thank you

Do other things such hang out with friends, exercise, go on dates, video games, whatever floats your boat. Don't get burnt out before medical school! F

Relax. Even if it means taking a day off. When you take that day off, don't think about ANYTHING science related or stress out. Trust me, it works wonders.

Members don't see this ad :)

Do you have many classes that are non-science?

I was a Spanish double-major. While that appears more work at face value, I think it helped me immensely.

When I was about to chuck my science book across the room, I did my Spanish homework. And vice versa. The gigantic difference between the work in both classes kept me working and kept me from burning out in one subject.

That does make sense, I had a physician told me once to make it personal, its like job training the more you do it the better you get at it. He said that is the reason the first year of medical school student flunk because of lack of experience with heavy loads. I feel it inside me though that I can do it and will succeed.

Seriously evaluate WHY and IF you really want to be a doctor. I was kind of sick of science in undergrad and it led to me cramming the night before exams and spending the rest of my time partying and hanging with friends. It worked for me and I got into med school without too much difficulty. This past semester was my first semester of med school and I barely passed because my study habits are/were horrible and I didn't realize how much work it really was. I was seriously considering taking a leave of absence and looking into other career options because I had never done that before. All throughout undergrad it was medicine or bust and then once I finally realized my goal I looked back and realized that I had no idea if I really wanted to be a doctor or if I just wanted to prove that I COULD be a doctor (i.e. get accepted to med school)

Do yourself a favor and look into every single thing that you find interesting. I'm getting over my minor quarter-life crisis and manning up to prepare for next semester but I think I would have had a much easier time adjusting had I looked into all alternative options.

Nothing can prepare you for what med school will be like but it doesn't hurt to come in as prepared as possible.

Sometimes you just gotta say f it. That's my advice for dealing with burnout.

^^^ ditto

Also, like an above poster mentioned...balance your daily schedule! Make time for the things you like, such as exercising or watching TV. One of my roommates and I have started meditating for like 10 minutes once a week...it's amazing how much better that can make you feel! This doctor I shadowed told me that when he was in med school, they actually had meditation classes to keep the students from going nuts. :laugh:

I was superrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr burned out after this last semester and basically have spent all of my break doing absolutely nothing that is related to school/ECs/etc. I am in my homestate and am having so much fun with friends/family. Since all I do in WI is go to class, ECs, and other boring things, I bought a car to work on (since that's a good stress reliever for me). Take some time away from the stuff that's burning you out and get a good stress releaving hobby that you can make time for.

I buckled down this semester and changed my studying, so I went into isolation mode and all I did was study, people thought I transferred from college but I just studied. And I worked and I commuted (45-55mins daily) and by Friday I was burned out. I did two things that kept me sane.

Almost every Friday, I played a game of Pool, Piing Pong, and had lunch with a friend.
(If I didn't have work afterwards, I would study again lol)

And on Saturday wake up slightly early, and watch 1 episode of a tv show I wanted to catch up on.

My friend said to me, burn out, wake up, burn out wake up. I take it, he means its not meant to be avoided but rather meant to be made it a part of our life, integrate some you time in your life.

I don't cram, but I always procrastinate and am lazy up until a critical point... then I start working my ass off.
Then after an exam I'll do absolutely nothing for awhile. I never get burned out doing this, because I always have small periods of relaxation before/after.

Sure am....and I'm currently taking a winter course, i leave no room for breaks because i have no friends or SO :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I was feeling a little burned out, but I the break from school was good. Hopefully you feel refreshed also by now. :)

Seems like SDN's way of dealing with burnout is by turning serious threads into completely random conversation. :)
Personally, I like odd numbers. I'm a big fan of any number that has '3' in it...3, 13, 23,....you get the point :D

Woot Woot!!! 100th post!! Senior Member baby!!

Last edited:
Seems like SDN's way of dealing with burnout is by turning serious threads into completely random conversation. :)
Personally, I like odd numbers. I'm a big fan of any number that has '3' in it...3, 13, 23,....you get the point :D

Honestly, odd numbers are overrated.

Don't knock it. I had to get to 300 before bed. Random posts=stress relief by using minimal brain cells.

Hey, I'm all for using the least amount of brain cells possible. Especially after 2am. Do you find that when you read enTropeeeeeeeee's (I think that's 9) name, you end up saying the last part with a higher pitch in your head?? Or is that just me??