anyone get into a top 10 with no research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurofreak

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
same idea as the "anyone get into harvard with a low gpa" thread

curious if there are any amazing success stories out there. come one, come all and share! :D

Members don't see this ad.

curious if there are any amazing success stories out there. come one, come all and share! :D

there are quite a few people w/ no research, but you gotta be a shining star in other ways.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think "jesus-like" sums it some...

come on, there's got to be at least one badass out there who's done it...:cool:

No research - nada, zilch and I'm headed to Baylor. Is that the kind of thing you were looking for?

(Baylor is still 10th, right?)

Yes but you can't look at Anastasis and say she did, so can I. Everyone on SDN knows Anastasis was a pre-med rock star!

nice work Anastasis! and Fizban, i'm new here, so what made her a rockstar?

i dont even see how research fits into a doctor's job description. few doctors actually have time to do research in the basic sciences. and i would say clinical research is quite different from basic research and not all doctors do clinical research either.

i dont even see how research fits into a doctor's job description. few doctors actually have time to do research in the basic sciences. and i would say clinical research is quite different from basic research and not all doctors do clinical research either.

I think it's more about showing the mental capacity for scientific inquiry and it is always good to have an understanding of the basic sciences.

I think the Top 10 schools "strongly encourage" or require you to spend some time in a lab while you're in med school, so coming in w/ research experience is important. Clinical and basic science research have a lot of skills in common.

Yes but you can't look at Anastasis and say she did, so can I. Everyone on SDN knows Anastasis was a pre-med rock star!

Awwww :biglove: It's not really true though ;) My application didn't really look anything like a typical premed badass. You want to see a badass application: Take a look at Dr. Durden's app :eek:

nice work Anastasis! and Fizban, i'm new here, so what made her a rockstar?

It's not true ;) But the most remarkable part of my application was a year of volunteer work I did abroad (not medically related).

Edit: Just to add though, the sentiment is right. You should never look at the one person on SDN who beat the system with _____ (ie. low MCAT, low GPA, no research, criminal record) because one statistical outlier does not mean it's likely (or even probable) that you'll also beat the system with the same handicap. In the end, all you can do is try.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awwww :biglove: It's not really true though ;) My application didn't really look anything like a typical premed badass. You want to see a badass application: Take a look at Dr. Durden's app :eek:

It's not true ;) But the most remarkable part of my application was a year of volunteer work I did abroad (not medically related).

You're so modest. ;) You are forgetting to mention your kick-butt MCAT score that puts all of us average applicants to shame. :oops:

You're so modest. ;) You are forgetting to mention your kick-butt MCAT score that puts all of us average applicants to shame. :oops:
:laugh: Maybe...

but I'm proudest of the volunteer work that I've done. Lots of people have high MCATs - not many people have seen and done the things I have (at least not that are applying to med school ;) )

okay Anastasis, im really curious now...is there a link to your profile so i can what everyone is talking about :rolleyes:

can an applicant with no research get into a top 10 (research rankings) med school?

I sure hope not. Why would you want to go to a top research school if you haven't done (and therefore, probably won't do) any research?

many students (including myself) have only experimented with basic bench work but have had no experience with clinical research and would still like to pursue this in the future

can an applicant with no research get into a top 10 (research rankings) med school?

I sure hope not. Why would you want to go to a top research school if you haven't done (and therefore, probably won't do) any research?

many students (including myself) have only experimented with basic bench work but have had no experience with clinical research and would still like to pursue this in the future

wow - what a complete lack of understanding. every hosptial i visited on my interviews had basic science research papers plastered all over their walls by M.D's. It's true that there are some docs that don't conduct much research, but from what I understand - it seems that amongst physicians, it's a 50/50 split b/w those that are clinically oriented and those that are research oriented. and within those that are research oriented, it's probably a 50/50 b/w bench research and clinical research.

wow - what a complete lack of understanding. every hosptial i visited on my interviews had basic science research papers plastered all over their walls by M.D's. It's true that there are some docs that don't conduct much research, but from what I understand - it seems that amongst physicians, it's a 50/50 split b/w those that are clinically oriented and those that are research oriented. and within those that are research oriented, it's probably a 50/50 b/w bench research and clinical research.

So true. Probably just trying to make himself/herself feel better about not doing any.

anyone get into a top 10 with no research?

If you look in the MSAR (which I can't currently reference because I promptly tossed it in the trash after making my own decision this year) you'll see that a pretty significant percentage of the acceptees at all of the top-ten research schools have no research experience. They are far from the the majority, of course, but make up a decidedly non-trivial minority.

Keep in mind that two of the top-ten research schools (UCSF and UW) are also consistently top-ten primary-care schools, and this past year so was Duke...and maybe Baylor too, though I don't remember for sure, as I've tossed my US News book as well. I personally would go to UCSF, UW and Baylor without hesitation if my focus were clinical care, primary or otherwise.

great points chulito. but even then, the only people that i know who have gotten into these schools (UCSF and Baylor, specifically) already have tons of research under their belts, while those with similar stats and equally good ECs (minus the research) got shafted. who knows...

As far as anecdotal evidence, I know people who were accepted this year to Harvard, UCSF, UW and Baylor with no research experience (or none that was meaningful enough to mention in the application). Does anyone have an MSAR that they can consult to let us know what percentage of matriculants to the top-ten research schools have had research experience? Here's this year's research list from US News.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/brief/mdrrank_brief.php

Harvard
Hopkins
Penn
WashU
UCSF
UW
Stanford
Duke
Yale
Baylor

I guess my point was that schools that are shooting for greatness are often (usually?) aiming for educational excellence in both research and clinical medicine, and they may be looking for some sort of balance (even if highly lopsided) in their student bodies that reflects both goals. Clearly a lot of great clinicians are or have been good researchers as well, but a candidate who shows tremendous promise in one area will not necessarily be penalized for a deficiency in the other. This is all just my speculation, of course, but it's fueled by, amongst other things, those percentages from the MSAR and my own experiences.

I only looked up a few of the schools on your list but it's generally in the 90-95% range (higher than the percentage that had clinical experience). It's possible to get into a top research-oriented med school w/o research experience just like it's possible to get into med school w/o clinical experience or with a 3.2 GPA or with a 27 MCAT or with 5 W's. It's just much much harder. You need to have something else going for you.

I was lucky enough to get into Wash U, Duke, and Michigan, and UCLA with no research on my application. After I applied, I got interested in Epidemiology research, and now I'm planning on doing a PhD in Social Epidemiology!!

Research is by no means a prerequisite to getting into the top schools, just do what you love, be passionate about it, and be able to articulate your passion during your interviews...

Best of Luck!!

I know at least a few of my classmates didn't do any research, and I go to arguably the most-research intensive med school. Just make sure you have a well-rounded application...research helps but isn't a requirement.

Agree with this. A lot of the specialties are pretty research heavy, (many even with bench research), so it has an impact. Competitive residencies see research in med school as a huge plus, and it's a lot easier to do useful research in med school if you learned the basics in college. And then a step later, a lot of residents at top residencies are expected by their programs to present at various conferences, and it's a lot easier to do if you have some research background in med school and before that in undergrad. So there is a progression here. Thus it isn't just a wasteful hoop med schools want you to jump through. And certainly, if you decide to remain in academic medicine (which a fair number of the top ten students do), the length of your publications list on your CV certainly makes a difference.

That being said, I know at least one person at a top 10 school who didn't do research in undergrad. But he was a pretty amazing applicant otherwise (both numerically and not).

I was lucky enough to get into Wash U, Duke, and Michigan, and UCLA with no research on my application. After I applied, I got interested in Epidemiology research, and now I'm planning on doing a PhD in Social Epidemiology!!

Research is by no means a prerequisite to getting into the top schools, just do what you love, be passionate about it, and be able to articulate your passion during your interviews...

Best of Luck!!

Congrats on your success MichigaNicideM! do you mind sharing other parts of your profile?

Congrats on your success MichigaNicideM! do you mind sharing other parts of your profile?

Umm, that dude has like a 4.0/39 and very impressive ECs notwithstanding the lack of research...hardly an example that can mean much to more average applicants.

uhh, that guy can't be for real...superman maybe?

3.85 science, 3.8 overall, 36R mcat, worked all through college, a year in a hospital as a radiology asisstant, shadowing, a lot of volunteering, great LOR, VP of premed honor society, teach mcat... got shafted by any ranked schools..

btw, I have no research, thats why I was listing this stuff. But I have other things going against me also, but I'm going to assume a lot had to do with research.

I have other things going against me also

President of the Back Alley Abortion Club?

AMCAS interests/hobbies: Oppressing minorities, spent summer as lobbyist trying to eliminate women's suffrage, summer research internship in Iran developing weaponized Nipah virus....

so, the million dollar question is:

Why would you want to go to a school that emphasizes research, if research doesn't interest you?

Wouldn't you be better off choosing more clinically focused school if that's what you're interested in?

Why would you want to go to a school that emphasizes research, if research doesn't interest you?

Wouldn't you be better off choosing more clinically focused school if that's what you're interested in?

For me, at least, I got the best of both worlds with Baylor:

Primary Care Rankings:
1.University of Washington

2.University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill

3.University of Colorado–Denver and Health Sciences Center

4.Oregon Health and Science University

5.Mich. State U. Coll. of Osteopathic Medicine

6.East Carolina University (Brody) (NC)

7.University of Vermont

8.University of California–San Francisco

9.University of Wisconsin–Madison

10.University of Nebraska College of Medicine

11.Baylor College of Medicine (TX)

i've only done bench research in ugrad and hated it, but was introduced to clinical research last year and find it a lot more interesting...and a lot of the specialties that im thinking about require some research.

For me, at least, I got the best of both worlds with Baylor:

Primary Care Rankings:
1.University of Washington

2.University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill

3.University of Colorado–Denver and Health Sciences Center

4.Oregon Health and Science University

5.Mich. State U. Coll. of Osteopathic Medicine

6.East Carolina University (Brody) (NC)

7.University of Vermont

8.University of California–San Francisco

9.University of Wisconsin–Madison

10.University of Nebraska College of Medicine

11.Baylor College of Medicine (TX)

primary care rankings are stupid. much of the formula weight depends on how many students match into primary care fields (ie, pediatrics, family med, etc).

Does that really tell you how much a school prepares you as a primary care physician? Come on.

primary care rankings are stupid. much of the formula weight depends on how many students match into primary care fields (ie, pediatrics, family med, etc).

Does that really tell you how much a school prepares you as a primary care physician? Come on.

I think that they should replace the primary-care rankings with clinical-care rankings, completely refiguring the criteria. They already have sub-rankings for FM, IM, peds, OBG and rural medicine, so why do they need a bigger, more generic one for just primary care? (And, as you say, it's only of marginal value as it's currently configured.) I'd be much more interested in the culture, intent, attention, energy and quality of clinical care more comprehensively construed, and I think that the opinions of residency directors should factor heavily into that ranking.

This is true.

President of the Back Alley Abortion Club?

AMCAS interests/hobbies: Oppressing minorities, spent summer as lobbyist trying to eliminate women's suffrage, summer research internship in Iran developing weaponized Nipah virus....

somebody is quickly becoming one of my favorite posters