Anyone getting interviews without step 2ck so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bagheera

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious here if anyone is getting interviews without step 2ck? I plan on taking my exam at end of Nov..hopefully i still can get interviews with just my step 1.. if anyonelse in the same boat pls post your experience thus far with just step 1, and step 2cs if you took that also...

Members don't see this ad.

Are you IMG? That will make a difference.

I am a DO student and currently have 12 interviews at ACGME (MD) psychiatry programs, with only a COMLEX level 1 and a COMLEX level 2 PE (the USMLE step 2 CS equivalent). I am taking the COMLEX level 2 CE (which is the CK equivalent) in a few weeks. So yes, if you are a US student, it's definitely possible - and I presume there are likely hundreds of other students in my position also. However, if you are an international student, it is much more important to have the step 2 ck in hand at this time.

Thanks for the reply..

Yes I am US IMG abroad in asia.......will start applying next week. I know everyone keeps saying that for IMGS, having step 1, step 2ck, and step 2cs sept 15 seems to be essential. But I am curious to see if there is anyone out there getting interviews without the CK as an IMG. The reason I didnt not take CK yet is because I have not yet graduated and my school does not allow anytime off for CK, and I need some time to prepare for it being an IMG, atleast 4 solid weeks. I guess we will find out for sure what happens when I apply next week, because I will be applying to a 100+ programs ......,... thanks for the reply.... if anyonelse is in similar shoes, please post your reply........... thanks!

i think you may have wanted to specify in your original post that you're specifically asking IMGs. Almost everyone I know had gotten interviews before taking CK/CS. I am taking CK in a few days and will be taking CS in a month and I have 14 interviews. If you're applying to that many programs (which is quite expensive), I would FOR SURE look into this and be 100% positive that I can apply as an IMG without CK/CS.

Thanks for the reply..

Yes I am US IMG abroad in asia.......will start applying next week. I know everyone keeps saying that for IMGS, having step 1, step 2ck, and step 2cs sept 15 seems to be essential. But I am curious to see if there is anyone out there getting interviews without the CK as an IMG. The reason I didnt not take CK yet is because I have not yet graduated and my school does not allow anytime off for CK, and I need some time to prepare for it being an IMG, atleast 4 solid weeks. I guess we will find out for sure what happens when I apply next week, because I will be applying to a 100+ programs ......,... thanks for the reply.... if anyonelse is in similar shoes, please post your reply........... thanks!

Many (most?) programs will want to see a pass on Steps 1, 2CK and 2CS from IMGs before offering interviews. This is because without them, you can't get ECFMG certified and can't start residency so they're less likely to waste an interview spot on somebody they don't know will be able to start in July.

So while it's possible you might get interviews without it, it's unlikely.

I'm a US IMG and I've gotten 8 interviews so far without Step 2 CK.

What was your score on STEP 1 and what residency are you applying to?

Step 1 in low 230s. Internal med .us img about to grad this yr

Thanks for the reply..

It's going to be hard to know if any lack of interview is due to a lack of Step 2 CK/CS, or the late date of your application.