Anyone going for DVM/MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kernel

OSU c/o 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've only recently become interested in this. And I think it's because I'm obsessed with zoonotic diseases and zombie apocalypses. From videogames. :laugh:

Has anyone shadowed a public health veterinarian? I'm thinking about it... (Will probably end up working on my large animal experience instead though :\)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've only recently become interest in this. And I think it's because I'm obsessed with zoonotic diseases and zombie apocalypses. From videogames. :laugh:

Has anyone shadowed a public health veterinarian? I'm thinking about it... (Will probably end up working on my large animal experience instead though :\)

Hi kernel,

First, I've been meaning to tell you forever now that I ADORE your avatar. Always makes me smile. Anyway, I worked professionally in the public health sector for about two years (government based) and have to say that at it's heart it was really really cool. However, I'm a giant science nerd who loves a good puzzle so it's my cup of tea.

As for shadowing, it really depends upon what area of public health you're seeking to learn about - food animal health, straight epidemiology, emerging disease, 'mystery solving', welfare, etc... There are lots of vets who do work on public health issues, but may simply not title their work in that manner. Thus, you could certainly obtain large animal and public health experience at the same time if you find the right gig. Also, some universities and government agencies allow for student volunteers in their public health related labs so the individuals can get a feel for the science.

Good luck!! :luck:

First, I've been meaning to tell you forever now that I ADORE your avatar. Always makes me smile.

Thanks! :) A friend had it as her Livejournal avatar way back when and I stole it from her :smuggrin:

Thanks for the info. I'm not crazy about food animal health; it's the emerging disease stuff that really grabs me. I feel like that area is ripe with new issues challenges, and will continue to be as the world's population goes up and up and up.

I'm assuming that it would probably behoove a person who is interested in that sort of thing to *NOT* live where I do... I didn't even find a state public health veterinarian on the list posted (by someone, I forget who- sorry to whoever it is!).

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you think it's really cool! I will definitely look into it some more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha. Emerging diseases and zoonotic disease outbreaks of unknown origin are what I find the most interesting. So much so, I've actually considered just obtaining a general MPH now that I've opted to let the DVM go. In your case, you can always look up your local department of health and/or state department of health and go from there. In many areas (perhaps yours) the departments will have vets they consult rather than employ full time.

If you need any more info, feel free to PM me - I might be able to give you a name or two depending upon your region, etc...

I've only recently become interested in this. And I think it's because I'm obsessed with zoonotic diseases and zombie apocalypses. From videogames. :laugh:

I worked for about 6 public health vets that work here...

http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/

that work on outbreak preparedness stuff and education. Pretty cool in my opinion! :) I also am really interested in Epi and am in the process of applying to MS/MPH Epi programs as a fall-back.

I think if you don't get a chance to shadow someone before getting into school, there's definitely chances to explore the public health world once you're in. :luck: