You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Anyone going to vet school with a partner/bf/gf?
Started by bluechis
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Would not recommend electrical engineers.
Uh, oh. Did you have a shocking experience with one?
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Properly fitted scrubs though...But baggy scrubs aren't really the best garments to show them off. 😛
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You made me snort my coffeeUh, oh. Did you have a shocking experience with one?

Was that a jolting experience, PBC?You made me snort my coffee![]()
It was indeed 😛Was that a jolting experience, PBC?
I do actually know a lot of vet students dating engineers. I'm engaged to a mechanical engineer myself.Didn't we have a similar discussion last year? I think the consensus was that engineering students make the best significant others, and have the best earning potential (money =/= love but it doesn't hurt, right?). I'd rather find an engineering guy with those hot engineering muscles than a vet student, tbh.
Only downside is that I feel veterinarians and engineers tend to be very different when it comes to certain things (unless it's just my relationship). Engineers that I know seem to see things in black and white...it either is x or it is y. Vets/vet students tend to be more flexible and more understanding. I always chuckle when my fiance, brother in law, cousin, and whoever else I know that is an engineer gets super frustrated when their careful planning fails. Meanwhile, vet people are like 'oh okay, well let's figure this out really quickly and move on.'
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Heh. Seconded. I do sometimes appreciate having a planner in my life though. It can be useful.I do actually know a lot of vet students dating engineers. I'm engaged to a mechanical engineer myself.
Only downside is that I feel veterinarians and engineers tend to be very different when it comes to certain things (unless it's just my relationship). Engineers that I know seem to see things in black and white...it either is x or it is y. Vets/vet students tend to be more flexible and more understanding. I always chuckle when my fiance, brother in law, cousin, and whoever else I know that is an engineer gets super frustrated when their careful planning fails. Meanwhile, vet people are like 'oh okay, well let's figure this out really quickly and move on.'
Warning: Experience may vary with software engineers. 🙁men's grey's anatomy scrubs. point invalid.
wine -> beer and you've got it. Pierogies are the best form imho.
Would recommend software engineers.
Exactly That's why I only applied to top school to double dip as a dating site 😛 😛 😛But only the top schools will get you a husband 😉
:troll:


Well my path is on research so it does matters !Comparing undergrad institution prestige to vet school prestige is apples to oranges. There are only 30 vet schools in the US, and the AVMA ensures that they all meet certain educational standards. Rankings have a lot more to do with research going on at the school than actual quality of the education. There are certain employers that might be biased to prefer graduates of one school or another, but often that has a lot more to do with where they went to school and athletic rivalries than any true differences. 😛 Personally I wouldn't want to work for someone anyway who would choose one candidate over another based on where they went to school, rather than their skills and qualifications. Clients often won't know or care where you went to school. I don't know what you mean by FMI stigma, but any stigma that previously existed for Ross and SGU is going away since they were AVMA-accredited. If it's really that important to you to go to a school with good name recognition, that's your prerogative, but I would encourage you to look a lot more at first of all cost, and then things like location and curriculum style when deciding where to apply or attend.
Some schools even refuse to participate in the rankings. So don't base everything on ranking TBH.Well my path is on research so it does matters !
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Research on y chromosomes, right?Well my path is on research so it does matters !
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes paternal hereditary traits effect on large dog hip dysplasia....Research on y chromosomes, right?
Wrong Y chromosomesYes paternal hereditary traits effect on large dog hip dysplasia....
:troll:
wow way to copy my post, Trout:troll:
![]()
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Trollception?:troll:
😉
Well my path is on research so it does matters !
You might want to improve your grammar then. Top schools care about grammar and spelling.
shhhhhh dvmd, don't disturb the snowflakeYou might want to improve your grammar then. Top schools care about grammar and spelling.
sure !You might want to improve your grammar then. Top schools care about grammar and spelling.
Lol Otter !shhhhhh dvmd, don't disturb the snowflake
🙄Lol Otter !
Lol @ the whole ranking discussion though. I feel like we have this several times a year, and we always come to the same consensus that rankings don’t actually matter/ indicate the merit of a program.
Ugh! I absolutely hate rankings, like with a passion. Especially when I hear people all uppity about rankings particularly prevets at my college because CSU my IS is in the top 5 or whatever and they're all confused why it's not necessarily my first choice. I'm just like as long as it's accredited I don't care. I just want cheap tuition...which is no where...😢Lol @ the whole ranking discussion though. I feel like we have this several times a year, and we always come to the same consensus that rankings don’t actually matter/ indicate the merit of a program.
Swinging back to the engineer topic...
My dad is an engineer and genetics and stuff left me with engineer-like qualities. You know how they say opposites attract. So where does that leave me? What exactly is the opposite of an engineer?
If I would have just followed in my father’s footsteps I would have been in the workforce already and not evading studying via SDN, gosh darn it.
My dad is an engineer and genetics and stuff left me with engineer-like qualities. You know how they say opposites attract. So where does that leave me? What exactly is the opposite of an engineer?
If I would have just followed in my father’s footsteps I would have been in the workforce already and not evading studying via SDN, gosh darn it.
A business student.Swinging back to the engineer topic...
My dad is an engineer and genetics and stuff left me with engineer-like qualities. You know how they say opposites attract. So where does that leave me? What exactly is the opposite of an engineer?
If I would have just followed in my father’s footsteps I would have been in the workforce already and not evading studying via SDN, gosh darn it.
Illinois is pretty cheap for in state !Ugh! I absolutely hate rankings, like with a passion. Especially when I hear people all uppity about rankings particularly prevets at my college because CSU my IS is in the top 5 or whatever and they're all confused why it's not necessarily my first choice. I'm just like as long as it's accredited I don't care. I just want cheap tuition...which is no where...😢
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
this is the problem tho. have to establish residency first. which most places isnt the easiest thing to do.Illinois is pretty cheap for in state !
What ski said. I have family things to think about so moving to somewhere like NC where tuition is really cheap isn't really an option.Illinois is pretty cheap for in state !
Sent from my HTCD160LVW using SDN mobile
LOL. My SO is an electrical engineer PhD student. He's thinking about graduating with his masters and moving with me if I end up going to vet school away from where we both are now (Cornell). We're coming up on 2 years together and he's the sweetest.Would not recommend electrical engineers.
Takeaway: your mileage may vary with electrical engineers 😉🤣
Swinging back to the engineer topic...
My dad is an engineer and genetics and stuff left me with engineer-like qualities. You know how they say opposites attract. So where does that leave me? What exactly is the opposite of an engineer?
If I would have just followed in my father’s footsteps I would have been in the workforce already and not evading studying via SDN, gosh darn it.
You could be miserable in engineering like me. Engineering is so

I was in a sorority for engineers (and technical science majors), and I have an electrical engineer father... I agree. Engineering is terribleYou could be miserable in engineering like me. Engineering is so![]()
+1 for computer scientists
Computer Scientist are hot !+1 for computer scientists
Computer Scientist are hot !
Veterinarians are hotter!!😍
I definitely agree that these published rankings don't mean much, but there is something to say about the differences each school has. Differences you can't really get the feel of with a quick tour on interview day. I wish more people would do that school review thing SDN has.Lol @ the whole ranking discussion though. I feel like we have this several times a year, and we always come to the same consensus that rankings don’t actually matter/ indicate the merit of a program.
Oh I agree completely! The differences are super important to understand, but solely choosing your school based on rank? You’re gonna miss a lot (coming from someone at a “lower tiered” school)I definitely agree that these published rankings don't mean much, but there is something to say about the differences each school has. Differences you can't really get the feel of with a quick tour on interview day. I wish more people would do that school review thing SDN has.
Why is something so true in such small fontvet students can have hot muscles too
100% false when you subtract the word "baggy".But baggy scrubs aren't really the best garments to show them off. 😛
Scrubs also slide off quickly. Just saying. You know, hypothetically.
Properly fitted scrubs though...
Preachmen's grey's anatomy scrubs. point invalid.
Last edited:
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
For the people who can't handle the truthWhy is something so true in such small font
And for dramatic effect
Uh huh 😉You know, hypothetically.
So basically, speak softly and carry a big stick?For the people who can't handle the truth
And for dramatic effect
I could get down with that.
*mic drop*
My dad is also an engineer and I definitely have some of those qualities. Maybe I just need to find myself a sexy vet.Swinging back to the engineer topic...
My dad is an engineer and genetics and stuff left me with engineer-like qualities. You know how they say opposites attract. So where does that leave me? What exactly is the opposite of an engineer?
If I would have just followed in my father’s footsteps I would have been in the workforce already and not evading studying via SDN, gosh darn it.
Sounds good to mee. I was thinking I need either a doctor or a large animal vet. Just so we have some differences. Or one of those guys that make it as aquatic wildlife vets because dolphins. And the ocean.My dad is also an engineer and I definitely have some of those qualities. Maybe I just need to find myself a sexy vet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I definitely agree that these published rankings don't mean much, but there is something to say about the differences each school has. Differences you can't really get the feel of with a quick tour on interview day. I wish more people would do that school review thing SDN has.
Oh I agree completely! The differences are super important to understand, but solely choosing your school based on rank? You’re gonna miss a lot (coming from someone at a “lower tiered” school)
Yeah, I don't think that the Interview Feedback pages have been updated in quite a while.
We do still have the Factors When Picking a School Google Doc -- Factors When Picking A School -- but there's definitely an excess of information/experiences for some schools and very little to none on others. I'm looking to eventually go through and clean up or get rid entirely of most of the ISU stuff; a lot of it is outdated and taken from the early days of the original Factors thread.
Agreed that vet school rankings are largely worthless, by the by, and shouldn't play much of a role in choosing where to apply or attend.
Rankings aside, there is a school in the eastern states that rank very well in the US only rankings, and not too bad in the world rankings, however every vet I have met that has graduated from there is very unprepared, and often know less than I do with only 2000 Hours animal experience. At the end of the day is really what you plan to after, and how the school can help you reach that goal what matters, regardless of ranking.
every vet I have met that has graduated from there is very unprepared, and often know less than I do with only 2000 Hours animal experience.
:troll:How is that trolling ?:troll:
I think someone else here is the Instigator !
How is that trolling ?
I think someone else here is the Instigator !
You do not know more than any graduated DVM or VMD... Period. And you are foolish if you think you do.
Define "unprepared".
Not to be mean, but I don't think that, as a pre-vet, you're really in the position to be judging the knowledge and/or skills of a fully graduated veterinarian or asserting that you're more knowledgeable about the practice of medicine than they are.
They can't handle animals properly, perform simple surgeries, or tissue/blood collection procedure. They know the theory very well, however they lack practical skills. Is only the one school. In all fairness I have only met 5 graduates from said school, and is very possible that I met the 5 least technically prepared. This said I skipped that school this cycle.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K