anyone had an interview with a low PCAT score?

About the Ads

Julientampa

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
    GATOR Girl said:
    Has anyone with a low PCAT score had an interview/acceptance?

If your PCAT < 70 , you'd better retake it, or apply to schools that don't require the PCAT.

I guess you're from FL, and I know that UF only accept applicants that have a high PCAT score (at least 90) and/or a high GPA (3.80 is the average). UF doesn't care about pharmacy experience at all, they just look at your score, GPA, and personal statement.

ultracet

1K Member
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 4, 2004
      mosco said:
      I wonder if those who could answer this question (someone already accepted or enrolled in pharm school) would even see it because this question is in the PCAT forum rather than in the larger Pharm school or Pre-Pharm forums? :confused:
      the first year a school is open i have heard of a 7 and a 30 being accepted....

i seriously doubt this happens the next year as there will be more applicants

usi

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Mar 4, 2005
      St Petersburg, Fl
      1. Pharmacy Student
        Julientampa said:
        If your PCAT < 70 , you'd better retake it, or apply to schools that don't require the PCAT.

I guess you're from FL, and I know that UF only accept applicants that have a high PCAT score (at least 90) and/or a high GPA (3.80 is the average). UF doesn't care about pharmacy experience at all, they just look at your score, GPA, and personal statement.
        There are some current students with scores as low as 82 in UF.
        I don't know what the rest of their stats are like.
        But is true the majority have high GPA and PCAT...

jah2004

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Dec 9, 2005
        1. Pre-Pharmacy
          bbmuffin,

Are you in pharmacy school or have you interviewed anywhere? I live in Alabama too and I am trying to get into Auburn. Just got my scores back and had a composite 79. I am really trying to decide whether to retake or not. Are you or is anyone else here familiar with what Auburn likes for the PCAT?

-Adam

ultracet

1K Member
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Mar 4, 2004
            jah2004 said:
            bbmuffin,

Are you in pharmacy school or have you interviewed anywhere? I live in Alabama too and I am trying to get into Auburn. Just got my scores back and had a composite 79. I am really trying to decide whether to retake or not. Are you or is anyone else here familiar with what Auburn likes for the PCAT?

-Adam
            and i don't know anything about auburn... other than people hate their dress code...

MAXHARDC

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Dec 11, 2005
            1. Pharmacy Student
              crossjb said:
              If everything else is strong, it's possible. I've heard of people getting accepted w/low scores.

The PCAT is a small part of the entire package. You don't need a 99 to get in.

Your right, and at my school (LOMA LINDA) we don't even look for PCAT scores. A high GPA, and a high PCAT is a cause of concern for me, they are usually lacking socially. I don't want to see people with their head in books all day. I have had my share of sit in interviews.

Max

About the Ads

bigalaz1

15+ Year Member
              Dec 21, 2005
              1. Pre-Pharmacy
                I'm not sure if anyone cares on here, strictly because of location, but I know the exact statistics that are granted an interview at University of Arizona. At pre-pharm club meetings the dean talked about it and in personal counseling they said the exact same thing: pharmacy experience required (even though application only says recommended), 3.3 GPA, 65% PCAT. UofA is not PharmCAS and this knoced 481 applicants down to 195, whom they interviewed. The counselor told me; however, that you should really get a 75% on PCAT. Also, I don't know what averages you guys have seen, but almost everything I've looked at regarding "average PCAT scores of accepted class" for a school hovers around 85. Obviously there are some above and below so you definitely don't need a 90, or even an 85, to get in.

cdpiano27

15+ Year Member
                May 24, 2005
                  You are from Arizona. At UF, the admissions works the following way:

PCAT: Need 90+ composite with not one section below 50!

88 is mean of students accepted.

GPA: Only calculates grades in Bio I, II, Anatomy and Physiology I, II, Gen Chem I, II, Physics I, II, Organic Chem I, II, Calculus I
                  (Speech required, does not count in GPA!)

Need around 3.6+ in ONLY these courses. Does not matter whether taken at 2-year junior college or 4-year university. And no school is given preference. For example, UF undergrads are given priority only if they get in and chooose Gainesville as their first choice of campus location. If a course is repeated, both grades are averaged in.

Average GPA of ONLY pre-pharm courses is 3.6.

Extracurricular pharm experience - very secondary compared to GPA - counts for something but usually for "borderline" candidates

Interviews - only done for "borderline" cases or something quite unusual on the application. Very rare, note that only 5-10 interviews were granted last year out of 1000 applicants!

importance (ranked): 1. GPA 2. PCAT 3. Letters of recommendation/Personal statement 4. Pharm experience / extracurriculars.

U of Arizona is also a great pharmacy school as well with excellent research just like UF.

Even though a lot of people on this forum complain about UF's admissions procedures, it is at least as objective as you can possibly get.

UGA admissions is quite similar to UF's, by the way.

soccerfreak

Cubs 2007.. Please....
                  10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Jan 8, 2006
                  Chicago
                  1. Pharmacist
                    GATOR Girl said:
                    Has anyone with a low PCAT score had an interview/acceptance?

The first time I took the Pcat I was shocked. I did so bad that I seriously thought about giving up. 33% percentile. Yep. That low. I still decided to apply to some schools, none of which accepted me for the obvious reasons. My GPA is not bad, 3.71. I did my undergraduate at a community college. I decided to get some pharmacy experience. Started working a couple of hours a week at a friends private pharmacy. Next year I decided to retake the Pcat. Didn't get any better results. Did good on Bio, chem and math, but bombed reading and verbal. Composite- 63% percentile. I applied again to 3 schools. Midwestern, IL, Creighton web-based program, and University of Wisconsin-Madison. I was once again rejected by Creighton. I should mention that I have really good e/c and volunteer work. Midwestern gave me a MCV and so did UWM. My visit to Midwestern was in December. I got an email before Christmas that I was accepted. I still plan on going to the other MCV in Wisconsin just to see how it is but I'm going to go to Midwestern for sure. You see, if the school sees that you've improved your application then you have a decent shot at getting in even with a score below 70 on the PCat. Good luck to you all and keep hope for those with low pcat scores. :) Keep working hard and eventually you'll achieve what you're striving for.

jlpolla

10+ Year Member
                    7+ Year Member
                    Nov 24, 2005
                    1. Pharmacist

soccerfreak said:
                      The first time I took the Pcat I was shocked. I did so bad that I seriously thought about giving up. 33% percentile. Yep. That low. I still decided to apply to some schools, none of which accepted me for the obvious reasons. My GPA is not bad, 3.71. I did my undergraduate at a community college. I decided to get some pharmacy experience. Started working a couple of hours a week at a friends private pharmacy. Next year I decided to retake the Pcat. Didn't get any better results. Did good on Bio, chem and math, but bombed reading and verbal. Composite- 63% percentile. I applied again to 3 schools. Midwestern, IL, Creighton web-based program, and University of Wisconsin-Madison. I was once again rejected by Creighton. I should mention that I have really good e/c and volunteer work. Midwestern gave me a MCV and so did UWM. My visit to Midwestern was in December. I got an email before Christmas that I was accepted. I still plan on going to the other MCV in Wisconsin just to see how it is but I'm going to go to Midwestern for sure. You see, if the school sees that you've improved your application then you have a decent shot at getting in even with a score below 70 on the PCat. Good luck to you all and keep hope for those with low pcat scores. :) Keep working hard and eventually you'll achieve what you're striving for.

xnc123

XNavyChick
                      10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Nov 17, 2005
                      State of Confusion
                      1. Pre-Pharmacy
                        soccerfreak said:

Congrats! Did you do all of your pre-reqs at CC?

xnc123

XNavyChick
                        10+ Year Member
                        5+ Year Member
                        Nov 17, 2005
                        State of Confusion
                        1. Pre-Pharmacy
                          You are my hero soccerfreak! :D

I was stressing about going to cc, but hearing that it's possible I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

I'm not taking the pcat until June, but it's nice to know that if I bomb it the 1st time, raising my score in Oct will help. If you have to retake the pcat, is the anxiety a lot less? Do you feel better prepared? Just curious.

soccerfreak

Cubs 2007.. Please....
                          10+ Year Member
                          5+ Year Member
                          Jan 8, 2006
                          Chicago
                          1. Pharmacist
                            xnc123 said:
                            You are my hero soccerfreak! :D

I was stressing about going to cc, but hearing that it's possible I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

I'm not taking the pcat until June, but it's nice to know that if I bomb it the 1st time, raising my score in Oct will help. If you have to retake the pcat, is the anxiety a lot less? Do you feel better prepared? Just curious.

Unfortunatelly for me I had to drive about 3 hours to take the pcat the first time. Pretty tired at the testing center by the start time. The second time it was easier but still felt a little pressure. As long as you do good in the science sections then I think you're fine. Good luck in June.

About the Ads

PharmDat22

Membership Revoked
                            Removed
                            10+ Year Member
                            Dec 26, 2007
                            1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
                              You are from Arizona. At UF, the admissions works the following way:

PCAT: Need 90+ composite with not one section below 50!

88 is mean of students accepted.

GPA: Only calculates grades in Bio I, II, Anatomy and Physiology I, II, Gen Chem I, II, Physics I, II, Organic Chem I, II, Calculus I
                              (Speech required, does not count in GPA!)

Need around 3.6+ in ONLY these courses. Does not matter whether taken at 2-year junior college or 4-year university. And no school is given preference. For example, UF undergrads are given priority only if they get in and chooose Gainesville as their first choice of campus location. If a course is repeated, both grades are averaged in.

Average GPA of ONLY pre-pharm courses is 3.6.

Extracurricular pharm experience - very secondary compared to GPA - counts for something but usually for "borderline" candidates

Interviews - only done for "borderline" cases or something quite unusual on the application. Very rare, note that only 5-10 interviews were granted last year out of 1000 applicants!

importance (ranked): 1. GPA 2. PCAT 3. Letters of recommendation/Personal statement 4. Pharm experience / extracurriculars.

U of Arizona is also a great pharmacy school as well with excellent research just like UF.

Even though a lot of people on this forum complain about UF's admissions procedures, it is at least as objective as you can possibly get.

UGA admissions is quite similar to UF's, by the way.

I got a 78 composite.

PharmDnPhD

10+ Year Member
                              Oct 1, 2007
                              1. Pharmacy Student
                                I have two interview invitations with low PCAT. I am stressed. I'm trying to be optimistic! wow.. these posts are from last year. You guys recycled the thread:)

If you don't mind me asking, where are your interviews at and what is your PCAT score? I think you have posted before....sorry to bug you again!:D

eelo

10+ Year Member
                                Feb 24, 2007
                                1. Non-Student
                                  bbmuffin,

-Adam

The average PCAT score at Auburn for the class that started last August was 65, so you should be okay, assuming your GPA and everything else is relatively competitive. Be sure you've completed all their pre-reqs (they're one of the schools that require Immunology), and you're definitely better off if you're an AL resident.

pharmmd12

Jan 10, 2011
                                  1. Pre-Pharmacy
                                    I have two interview invitations with low PCAT. I am stressed. I'm trying to be optimistic! wow.. these posts are from last year. You guys recycled the thread:)

If you don't mind me asking, what was your PCAT composite? And what schools have you received interviews from? I am kind of in the same boat but am still waiting to hear back from schools... trying to be optimistic

rayguns

5+ Year Member
                                    Jan 12, 2010
                                    1. Pre-Pharmacy
                                      I have received four interviews (although two of them were not accredited, but Candidate status) and have been accepted into a pharmacy program this fall. I had a 2.87 Overall GPA with a PCAT composite score of 47. I had 3 months of Pharmacy volunteer work, with research experience, and extra-curricular activities. BELIEVE ME... IT IS POSSIBLE!

tCMashiMaro

Mar 17, 2011
                                      1. Pre-Pharmacy
                                        I have received four interviews (although two of them were not accredited, but Candidate status) and have been accepted into a pharmacy program this fall. I had a 2.87 Overall GPA with a PCAT composite score of 47. I had 3 months of Pharmacy volunteer work, with research experience, and extra-curricular activities. BELIEVE ME... IT IS POSSIBLE!

What are those 4 schools and which one did u get in?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                        7. This thread is locked.