Anyone have great MCAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jms88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody out there with great MCAT scores (40 or above)? I'd being willing to pay for a consult. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

there's a few that I can think of (two girls on here, and one guy that I know personally), but I don't see why paying for a consult would really benefit you.

Yeah, it's not like you can buy the test taking skills it takes to get that kinda score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great MCAT score = 28+

TheProwler said:
there's a few that I can think of (two girls on here, and one guy that I know personally), but I don't see why paying for a consult would really benefit you.

Agreed.

Great performance or intelligence does not equall great teaching ability :idea:

Nope, just a middling 39. Guess I'll just have to make the big money some other way. :rolleyes:

EpointH said:
Nope, just a middling 39. Guess I'll just have to make the big money some other way. :rolleyes:
did it make you feel better to post that? :smuggrin:

I got a 39 too. was trying for a 40. but honestly, for scores this high, you just gotta have good test-taking skills. It's definitely not due to intelligence or knowledge. for me, it was all about just taking 5-10 seconds on each question, figuring out what it was really testing me on (forget what it says, what knowledge does it want to get out of you or what connection does it want to see you make). That worked for me on both science sections. As for verbal? I got an 11. Princeton Review helped that score a ton. would've had an 8 or lower if I didn't get a good teacher in my PR class. It also helped my science scores just by forcing me to learn the material on a schedule.

And after getting into med school and finishing this process, I think that my really high score helped net me a few extra interviews, but I don't think it got me in anywhere. I think I could've done pretty much the same with a 32 (maybe a couple less interviews, but I think I would've gotten into the same places I got in anyway). So I think relatively high MCAT scores help, like in the 30s. but extremely high like 38 and up doesn't help anymore. I also think a good score is 28+

TheProwler said:
did it make you feel better to post that? :smuggrin:

No, I was just giving a sarcastic answer to what seemed to me to be an odd question. Joke.

Rendar5 said:
And after getting into med school and finishing this process, I think that my really high score helped net me a few extra interviews, but I don't think it got me in anywhere. I think I could've done pretty much the same with a 32 (maybe a couple less interviews, but I think I would've gotten into the same places I got in anyway). So I think relatively high MCAT scores help, like in the 30s. but extremely high like 38 and up doesn't help anymore. I also think a good score is 28+

this is probably the most interesting point of view i have ever read on this forum.

Hi -

I'm impressed by your score. I'm interested in how you prepared, what your approach was, what specific study strategies you used, etc. When did you start, which books/classes did you take, etc. Any info would be much appreciated.

tons of threads, search. Person who got a 40+ and another who scored 30+ are basically doing the same things in terms of strategy and prep (assuming they prep'd hard). I personally think it's more than just being a "good testaker", btw.

You don't want to copy my approach. Trust me. :oops:

I'm a starving student, and was working 50 hours/week during the three weeks I had to study. I'd taken AP bio/chem/physics, but no orgo - fortunately my job was in an organic lab, so I'd learned some of it.

I got the EK cds to listen to while walking to work, plus a secondhand PR book, and my PI gave me an organic textbook. I went through all that stuff, plus whatever free practice tests I found online. Blew off the verbal sections, which I now somewhat regret, but I was busy cramming orgo.

Ended up doing fine - 13 VR / 14 PS / 15 BS / N. But that's the test skills doing the talking there, not the study regime. :D

I was 11/14/14/S (14's on my sciences).

I just followed the Princeton Review curriculum over the summer like everyone else in the program. Did a tiny bit of side-reading to help work on my verbal (probably upped it a point that way). I didn't have any strange study habits. As I said, to get up there, you just have to forget about actually learning material and focus on how to take the test. I already explained my approach to dealing with these types of questions, and it's what works for me and might not work for other people.

The only real advice I can give is that if you're having problems finishing, you're thinking too much or rereading too much. Oh, and I did the verbal in the specific order I was told to in order to avoid the killer passages until the end. I don't remember which it was, but do a bunch of real MCAT practice tests. the killer passages consistently come at certain points in the middle. (passage 4 if I remember right).

EDIT: I just realized my trick about the verbal section might not fully apply anymore. I took it when the highest Verbal score was a "13-15". Now, you get the full range of verbal scores with the new sections.

EpointH said:
No, I was just giving a sarcastic answer to what seemed to me to be an odd question. Joke.

yea, i agree, a thread like that sort of deserved your response.

Rendar5 said:
I was 11/14/14/S (14's on my sciences).

I just followed the Princeton Review curriculum over the summer like everyone else in the program. Did a tiny bit of side-reading to help work on my verbal (probably upped it a point that way). I didn't have any strange study habits. As I said, to get up there, you just have to forget about actually learning material and focus on how to take the test. I already explained my approach to dealing with these types of questions, and it's what works for me and might not work for other people.

The only real advice I can give is that if you're having problems finishing, you're thinking too much or rereading too much. Oh, and I did the verbal in the specific order I was told to in order to avoid the killer passages until the end. I don't remember which it was, but do a bunch of real MCAT practice tests. the killer passages consistently come at certain points in the middle. (passage 4 if I remember right).

EDIT: I just realized my trick about the verbal section might not fully apply anymore. I took it when the highest Verbal score was a "13-15". Now, you get the full range of verbal scores with the new sections.

hey why are you responding..you did not fit the OP's criteria of 40+

(this is a joke but I think the initial post was a bit obnoxious, and I don't think there is much of a difference between top scores in any standardized exam; after awhile the difference is simply luck)