anyone have meaningful, worthwhile volunteering ideas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm1234

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
had any interesting volunteering experiences, medical or nonmedical, where you made a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

save babies and kittens from burning buildings. routinely.

[size=-3]do you have an aversion to arson?[/size]

pharm1234 said:
who has got interesting volunteering ideas, medical or nonmedical?

One of my favorite volunteer activities has been through best buddies of america. It's an organization that matches college students with individuals with disabilities to form one on one friendships. My buddy, Nolan, is a 19 year old with tourette's and OCD. He's a great kid, and I feel he's really benefitted from our friendship. See if your state has a best buddies chapter.

www.bestbuddies.org

Members don't see this ad :)
American Cancer Society has Relay for Life events all over the country. Get involved with one of them.

Volunteer at your local VA. Those hospitals are always in need of help.

Teach your neighbors kid how to smoke.

:scared: :scared: :scared:

I tutored a kid in a maximum security juvy on how to pass his parole board. It's not physically taxing, you have a nice conversation piece for interviews, and you can pretend like you're that teacher from Dangerous Minds.

Obviously this isn't an option in every area. It was a joint program between Cornell and VISTA (volunteers in service to america)...look into vista's website or something to find something in your area

pharm1234 said:
who has got interesting volunteering ideas, medical or nonmedical?

you don't have the creative cajones to think of ways you can help out people that you need sdn to do it for you?

You could check out the Red Cross, get certified to teach CPR classes. I am currently on a certification spree, can't get enough... must be training to do everything...

geno2568 said:
I tutored a kid in a maximum security juvy on how to pass his parole board. It's not physically taxing, you have a nice conversation piece for interviews, and you can pretend like you're that teacher from Dangerous Minds.
What did you teach?