Anyone Have These Secondary Prompts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aamartin81

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
University of Louisville
East Tennessee State University
Medical University of South Carolina (Charleston)
University of Alabama - Birmingham
University of North Carolina

I checked through the old threads and could not find them. Thanks!

Adam

Members don't see this ad.

aamartin81 said:
University of Louisville
East Tennessee State University
Medical College of South Carolina (Charleston)
University of Alabama - Birmingham
University of North Carolina

I checked through the old threads and could not find them. Thanks!

Adam

I don't have an answer to your question, but a slight correction of one of the names of the schools you mentioned.

It is called Medical University of South Carolina, not Medical "College" of South Carolina. Are you a state resident of SC?? If not, your odds of getting in are slim.

I went there for a conference back in Fall 2003, and it was gorgeous. The whole med school was gorgeous and the med students even let us see the cadavers in the gross anatomy labs, etc.

It was cool. It was for AMSA reg 5 conference. however, they aren't too big on out of state applicants.

gujuDoc said:
Are you a state resident of SC?? If not, your odds of getting in are slim.

however, they aren't too big on out of state applicants.

While you are correct about the name, I can't figure out why you decided to post the rest of this message. I am interested in the University, and I will apply there. Yes, the odds are against out-of-state students. Why would you suggest that people not apply to schools which interest them because it is tough to get in?

If anyone has these secondary prompts, I would appreciate a head start!

Thanks,

Adam

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also looking for info on the MUSC secondary, if anybody has it.

aamartin81 said:
While you are correct about the name, I can't figure out why you decided to post the rest of this message. I am interested in the University, and I will apply there. Yes, the odds are against out-of-state students. Why would you suggest that people not apply to schools which interest them because it is tough to get in?

If anyone has these secondary prompts, I would appreciate a head start!

Thanks,

Adam

Because when I was there last fall, they said that they don't really encourage out of state people to apply because they are looking for South Carolina residents mostly. I know your scores are good and all, but its still most likely going to be a waste of your money applying to a school that really prefers its people to be instate.

That's why I said what I said.

from their website:

"Each year, the MUSC College of Medicine offers admission to 135 students. Since MUSC is a state-assisted institution, South Carolina residency is a primary admission consideration. Nonresident applications are considered; however, due to limited facilities, few are selected and superior credentials are necessary for acceptance. Foreign students without a permanent residence visa are not considered."

I agree with gujudoc. Unless you have significant ties to MUSC or Alabama your chances are not too good without stellar stats. My empirical data is below:
MUSC: 103 OOS applications per OOS matriculant
UAB: ~70 OOS applications per OOS matriculant
Data from AAMC FACTS.

BrettBatchelor said:
I agree with gujudoc. Unless you have significant ties to MUSC or Alabama your chances are not too good without stellar stats. My empirical data is below:
MUSC: 103 OOS applications per OOS matriculant
UAB: ~70 OOS applications per OOS matriculant
Data from AAMC FACTS.

Some more quick facts for you:

MUSC: 10 of 28 OOS students interviewed matriculated (willing to bet a few more were accepted).

MUSC: around 1% of OOS applicants matriculated.

Stanford: 1.2% of applicants matriculated

Jefferson: 3% of applicants matriculated

To me, it appears that the odds are against you at most every school, should we just not apply then?

I am looking for these secondary prompts, if you have them, please let me know. Otherwise, please don't post about how tough getting in may be.

Thanks,

Adam

Well I totally agree that you should apply wherever you're interested, but it doesn't hurt to know that getting in might be very hard.They don't interview many OOS applicants, but they do interview some, so there's always a chance, of course, and it would be silly not to apply it you're really interested. (UNC is also notoriously difficult to get in to OOS, but people do it...)

Like I said, I'm also looking for MUSC secondary info. Do they have room on their secondary to explain our ties to the state, if our official residency isn't SC? (I grew up there and my entire extended family lives there)

oh, also East Tennessee State University is basically impossible to get in to unless you're a resident. Since I don't know the OPs residency, URM status, etc., that doesn't mean I'm saying don't apply. But if you're interested, this is from their admissions website:

"The James H. Quillen College of Medicine is a state-supported school
and provides a very heavy preference for state residents. Applications from non-Tennessee residents are strongly discouraged except for those from the Appalachian region who desire a career in primary care medicine and those with outstanding credentials in every respect and a well-focused, documented career goal in the practice of primary care medicine. Well qualified minorities are encouraged to apply regardless of residency."