Anyone hear about interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In 11/05 you were interviewing for residency, in other words you're intern now, how come you are already applying for fellowship ? :confused: And BTW, Beth Israel didn't send yet interviews

Yes from:
MGH
Brigham
Johns Hopkins
UPenn
Beth Israel
Columbia
Duke

No news from 3 others.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like Colorado handed out a bunch today since I received one also. My friend got UCSF today, and Brigham yesterday. So far, 30 programs, 11 interviews, 5 rejections. Still waiting for more. Are you guys gonna cancel some of these interviews? I don't see myself going on >10 interviews. What is the most polite way to do this? Wish you all good luck.

If your not going I would include something like---

" I have reviewed your program's credentials and the quality of your staff and due to the large number of invitations I have recieved for interviews I regret to inform you that I will no longer be attending my interview. I wish your program the very best----

Just an idea:)

University of Colorado today. Beth Israel Deaconess sent out some invites last week. So it seems from the posts that UCSF, Columbia and Cleveland has sent out invites ? Did anyone apply to Yale ?

The nobel prize winning "list" if its true then congrats for the nobel prize.

dude you are funny.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, this is hilarious...

I like:

Thank you for inviting me for an interview. This year I have received many outstanding invitations and am unable to grant appearances to many deserving places. Many talented programs have offered and the decision on who to visit has not been easy. Unfortunately, because of the large number of offers and my limited days on this planet, I am not able to accept the interview.

If your not going I would include something like---

" I have reviewed your program's credentials and the quality of your staff and due to the large number of invitations I have recieved for interviews I regret to inform you that I will no longer be attending my interview. I wish your program the very best----

Just an idea:)

Congrats. Would you post your credentials in this website?

I will start:

Born a female, however realized early that I was a lesbian trapped in a man's body..
Attended preschool, graduated with honors
Grades 1-8 mostly passed
High school majored in drinking
Undergrad at a minor university not accredited by any governing body, dropped out and enrolled in flight attendant school (mostly to meet women).

Medical school at a a Tier IV school, graduated in bottom 15th of class.

Residency in chiropractic podiatry with an additional year of subspecialty training in the holistic approach

Just last October, it dawned on me that I wanted to be a cardiologist, so I applied.

thanks for sharing. that will help !!!!!!!!1

I thought this rejection had a hint of condesention (sp?)...

Thank you for your interest in a cardiology fellowship position at the
University of ---------- for the year 2008. We have received a
large number of outstanding applications, yours was not one of them. Although
you will not be coming for an interview, we will retain your application on
file should something change in our selection process.

---------------------
---------------------
----------------------

I thought the last two sentences could have been worded more appropriately. :)
-CC

I thought this rejection had a hint of condesention (sp?)...

Thank you for your interest in a cardiology fellowship position at the
University of ---------- for the year 2008. We have received a
large number of outstanding applications, yours was not one of them. Although
you will not be coming for an interview, we will retain your application on
file should something change in our selection process.

---------------------
---------------------
----------------------

I thought the last two sentences could have been worded more appropriately. :)
-CC

That sounds weird!!!

In 11/05 you were interviewing for residency, in other words you're intern now, how come you are already applying for fellowship ? :confused: And BTW, Beth Israel didn't send yet interviews

Right. That is healthy scepticism. I'm only reporting what I know from my experience. Trying to be helpful.

How many programs does everyone still have to hear from? I still haven't heard from 23 out of 45?

-CC

Add Mayo Rochester to the list.

University of Cincinnati
Albert Einstein Philadelphia

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, anyone have suggestions on improving your chances of getting off a waitlist?

Rigo- you might call or send the director an email-- sure- you run the risk of looking annoying and desperate- but if your a guy you've probably been there before--and doing it just once is probably ok--

Add BID to the list ...

rejection - BU
invite - St. Vincent's NYC

Has any one heard from Cleveland Clinic ? if yes then when ?

I do not think this is my time, 30 eras and 3 mail in application - I have 8 rejections so far, not even one interview.....it is so disheartening, but what can I say, I still love cardiology... I know it is competitive, but not even 1 interview.... and feb is almost over, I kind of sense it will be more rejection afterwards,.... anyway God dey.
Hearty congratulations to those that got interviews, I wish you all good luck.
If this year does not work out for me... i dont know if I am going to continue like this, really I truely love cards, but I also have a family who have sacrificed so much for my education and cant wait for me to get this over with, moreover I am not getting any younger, it would have been nice to have the opportunity of a life time to go into cards, but maybe it is not for me. I will try cards & pul/crit next time i suppose.
kudos guys! please let us know your interview experinces.

siiilllennt niigght oooh night ...all is calm, all is :sleep:

It *could* help if you or your PD contacted the program. It *could* help if you have a new publication or something on your CV since you submitted to ERAS.

A lot of it will be timing at this point. If you've been put "on hold" by one of the programs who extended invitations in January, they probably don't have any wiggle room anymore, so getting off of the wait list is probably a long shot. If your "on hold" status is more recent you probably have a better chance.

I think this will be about it for interviews, except for perhaps a few programs that have not sent anything yet to anyone. For every program that has sent out invites, and I had not received one, I later received a rejection after about a week or so. I don't think many of those programs have second rounds. 11 yes, 11 no, 15 waiting.
I do feel good that my original post has generated 170 responses and >11,000 views. Better than any publication I will have my name on I believe.
Good luck to everyone.

Anybody hear from Stanford yet (either way)?

I've heard of people getting interviews as late as March, particularly if you are wait listed. Applicants will cancel some of their interviews. I already know of 2 applicants that are going to cancel a couple. Still waiting for Standford, Cornell, UCSD, Cedars-Sinai. So far 12 interviews, 9 rejections. Let's all stay hopeful. Good luck to everyone.

Invite UT San Antonio, New Mexico

There are still a few stragglers left to send out interviews---

Any news from Cleveland Clinic ? if yes then when ?

did many people apply to Yale ?
thanks

I think people have heard from Cleveland Clinic already. Maybe they are a program that doesn't send out rejects.

CC

- Rim--apparently the CC lost my application-- I haven't heard either way yet either--

T-NEMC today ...

Have 4 Interviews / 18 Rejections / 8 to hear from.
Interviews:
UNC
Baylor
UVA (Home School)
Vandy

Chance of Matching: 20-50%.
Backup: Apply for Radiology Residency in Hawaii

Anybody heard from Cornell yet?

I am in the same boat as you.
3/57, 12 rejects.
Back up: Stay positive
Good luck to you

PS: How did you calculate youe chance of matching??
Have 4 Interviews / 18 Rejections / 8 to hear from.
Interviews:
UNC
Baylor
UVA (Home School)
Vandy

Chance of Matching: 20-50%.
Backup: Apply for Radiology Residency in Hawaii

Ubulu

I know this probably doesn't mean much coming from a fellow applicant but hang in there and follow your heart, I bet you came a long way to get to where you are at today. Before I read your email, I was thinking today of what fellowships I would do, If cards didn't work out, pulm crit care is very cool, however, I would probably still end up going for cards in the long run.

I hope things work out for you :thumbup:

I am in the same boat as you.
3/57, 12 rejects.
Back up: Stay positive
Good luck to you

PS: How did you calculate youe chance of matching??

Just a "gut" feeling....
-CC

Anybody hear from Cornell, Columbia or St. Luke's? Either interviews or rejections.

Anybody hear from Cornell, Columbia or St. Luke's? Either interviews or rejections.

Someone from above has already heard from Columbia. Cornell claims they have not sent anything out yet.

I got a rejection from columbia, haven't heard from cornell and havent applied to St. Lukes.

Invite William Beaumont

Reject- Columbia

Interviews:
NYU
Sinai
Elmhurst
BI Med Ctr in NYC
George Washington
Georgetown
Maryland

Rejections:
8 and counting

Waiting to Hear:

Can anyone heard from Einstein in the Bronx? Tufts? BI Deaconess in Boston? Jefferson in PA?

Invites from:
MGH
Brigham
Johns Hopkins
UPenn
Beth Israel (to clarify, BIDMC)
Columbia
Duke
UCSF

No news from 2 others.

If you don't mind my asking, when did you hear from georgetown and george washington?

heard from both about 10-14 days ago... very close together...

I got one, Thank you all for your kind word, TransfatsRgood--- Thanks a lot.
I dont know the chances of getting a position with just one interview where I have no connection, but I guess it is far far better than nothing and it is kind of encouraging.
My problem now is anxiety:scared: .... being my only interview so far, I have never being to an interview for fellowship position & dont know what to expect...this one interview really means a lot to me. it's in PA and I am praying for the best.
Tips for interviews are highly welcomed....as I look forward and hope for more interviews :D
How would one know if they are really want you, I mean do they offer pre match, I guess not anyway, this is a good thing and I am thankful!

Does any one know how many applicants a program would usually interview for lets say for 5 spots ?

Georgetown has sent some invites however they are still reviewing some applications.

Most programs have an average of 10:1 ratio

Does any one know how many applicants a program would usually interview for lets say for 5 spots ?

Georgetown has sent some invites however they are still reviewing some applications.

if you go to freida online you will see exactly how many people they interviewed last year.
on an average it is 10:1 ratio as quoted by aragon.

Most programs have an average of 10:1 ratio

So far 13 interviews, 11 rejections, still waiting for a few more. Mattaustein, I heard from BIDMC about 10 days ago. They gave me my third interview choice so I suspect most spots are full, but there is always hope. How did you like Sinai? I thought their translational research was impressive. Anyone hear from Stanford, UCSD, Cornell or Cedars-Sinai?

Congratulations ubulu on the interview. Some of the questions that I have been asked include:
1)Tell me about yourself (think of how you want to answer)
2)What research are you interested in (basic vs. translational vs. clinical) and how do you intend to fund it?
3)In 10 years where do you see yourself (they don't want to know how many kids you want or the car you are driving)?
4)Anything about your CV/PS/LOR!!
5)Which field of cardiology are you interested in (details and why)?
6)Why do you want to be a cardiologist?
7)Which programs are you looking at (for you, just be general, like the northeast or PA, etc.)?
8)Who would you be interested in doing research with?

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Does anyone know if Mayo or Cleveland has sent any rejection emails/letters ??
thanks