Anyone hear from Baylor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
to all getting these emails,
am i right to assume that it is b/c you wrote an email sometime before inquiring about your status or the status of admissions ?

i think you are correct....from what i've read, it seems like those that have sent update letters/staus check emails/etc have received this email. i think most people agree that it has nothing to do with your chances of getting in....

so hopefully today is the day. anyone else wishing the c/o 2011 thread slows down with the mundane stuff a bit? everytime i see there's a new post, i anticipate seeing "i got in" in all caps with lots of punctuation following. instead, it's just further discussion about which stethoscope is best or whatever....

disclaimer - if you've been accepted already, don't mind me...i'm just bitter because i wanna piece apart the pros and cons of the Littmann Cardio III too..... :beat: :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I never inquired about my status actually. I did send an update letter though, but I never actually asked what the status of my application was.

I sent an e-mail last week to the admissions office, so yes, the e-mail I received was in response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I never inquired about my status actually. I did send an update letter though, but I never actually asked what the status of my application was.

yeah update is same thing in my book. i just meant that you guys getting the email have made some contact lately or since interviewing.

received today via email....

Dear XXXX:

Thank you for maintaining an interest in our medical school. We are continuing to accept students and in approximately two weeks we will form an alternate list for use in deciding on further acceptances.

Sincerely,
Dr. Lloyd M. Michael
Senior Associate Dean of Admissions

I guess the approximately 2 weeks* thing had something to do with this from TMDSAS...

"
Applicants may hold offers from one of the TMDSAS medical schools as well as other non-TMDSAS schools such as Baylor College of Medicine. By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school must choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received.
"

*mrshiflett posted that reply on 4/3

I guess the approximately 2 weeks* thing had something to do with this from TMDSAS...

"
Applicants may hold offers from one of the TMDSAS medical schools as well as other non-TMDSAS schools such as Baylor College of Medicine. By May 15 of the matriculation year (April 15 for schools whose first day of class is on or before July 30), each applicant who has received an offer of acceptance from more than one school must choose the specific school at which the applicant prefers to enroll and withdraw his or her application from all other schools from which acceptance offers have been received.
"

*mrshiflett posted that reply on 4/3

Well this certainly adds a twist. I would have never known that April 15 date. So I guess Baylor is going to get their yes/no's then by Sunday.

If you look at the c/o 2011 thread, anastasis called Baylor and they said June 15 was the date one had to choose between acceptances...and she was holding another Texas acceptance, so I am not sure April 15 is correct...

If you look at the c/o 2011 thread, anastasis called Baylor and they said June 15 was the date one had to choose between acceptances...and she was holding another Texas acceptance, so I am not sure April 15 is correct...

June 15 is the date that you will be removed from all waitlists at Texas schools if you already hold an acceptance to a school in Texas.

June 15 is the date that you will be removed from all waitlists at Texas schools if you already hold an acceptance to a school in Texas.
See - that's what I think too. I got the impression like the woman I was talking to was unclear even when she did call me back with the June15th date. I wouldn't trust for that date to hold across the board which is why I played it safe and decided yesterday.

Is this the week that the waitlists and rejections are supposed to go out?

I think this is the week....
anyone know if they will come by email/snailmail ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is the week....
anyone know if they will come by email/snailmail ?

according to last year's thread, waitlist notification was sent by snail mail.

also, my impression (from the email) was that this would be the week that they form their alternate list (aka waitlist). they could have done that today or might even wait until friday. to prevent myself from being all jittery about receiving mail, i've told myself that we probably won't get anything until next week....but who knows?

from today (as per admissions office)....final decisions will be made in 1.5 weeks.

from today (as per admissions office)....final decisions will be made in 1.5 weeks.

How reliable do you think this number is? I'm wondering if there is some hard deadline BCM is up against here or if it takes longer, well, what's another week?

ANOTHER week and a half???? are you kidding me? they said that final decisions and notifications will be sent in two weeks and that two weeks ends this week!...and i personally got an email saying that as well because I had emailed them inquiring about the admission status...!

mrshiflett...did they say that they were still accepting..or the final decisions were pertaining to waitlist and rejections??

i know...that it's just another week..but every week since the end of march..they've been saying...next week..and then week after..and then no wait ..two more weeks! and even then NO! wait more..
sorry..my frustration level is just running high!

ANOTHER week and a half???? are you kidding me? they said that final decisions and notifications will be sent in two weeks and that two weeks ends this week!...and i personally got an email saying that as well because I had emailed them inquiring about the admission status...!

mrshiflett...did they say that they were still accepting..or the final decisions were pertaining to waitlist and rejections??

i know...that it's just another week..but every week since the end of march..they've been saying...next week..and then week after..and then no wait ..two more weeks! and even then NO! wait more..
sorry..my frustration level is just running high!

i am in absolute agreement. i received the email as well. i am getting the feeling that there are no hard deadlines.

the lady i spoke to said that they were still accepting people...so at least that is good news.

I return to my previous theory that "final decisions" will only be made on July 20-something, when classes are starting. Oh Baylor, you silly silly school.

I return to my previous theory that "final decisions" will only be made on July 20-something, when classes are starting. Oh Baylor, you silly silly school.

I think you're right. Those of us who haven't heard anything by 21 July know that we won't get called... probably.

good thought. unless you are holding a texas acceptance --when june 15th has come and gone and you haven't heard a thing, THEN you know you've been rejected. ;)

funny...i'm happy and sad to hear they are still giving out acceptances. happy b/c we all might still have a chance. sad because i find it hard to believe that they really have spots this late in the game and i don't want to get my hopes up for no reason. i wish someone could explain to us how it is possible they are still giving out acceptances? i mean, are they still accepting people to reach their initial 300-something acceptances (since schools have to accept more to fill their class)? or maybe since they had such a high matriculation rate last year they are keeping the number of acceptances closer to their class size and accepting more people as other people withdraw before may 15th? :confused: i don't get it. i just don't get it.

Yeah, just talked with someone in the office and was told that a waitlist should be formed in the next two weeks, and that we will be notified of our status then.:confused:, although they are still "accepting people" - I think that all of confusion regarding this oft-repeated phrase by them is that they are not still "accepting" but rather pulling people from the top of the heap as others who have been accepted are turning down their seats at Baylor.

My impression at the interview was that Baylor was a really organized school (they sure stressed their program schedule - i.e. 1.5 years - a whole lot during the day, and I thought that this was the result of superior reorganization of the preclinical years). I now have this negative image of the school, one in which droids are programmed to repeat "two weeks" to anyone who calls the office while those at the top are sitting on their hands.

Sorry if I sound bitter, but I just feel disrespected by this whole process.

Sorry if I sound bitter, but I just feel disrespected by this whole process.

On the other hand, I have to admit that they'd have been hard-pressed to come up with a method of waitlisting me that would have conveyed respect... I'm just grateful that I'm in somewhere. People who aren't really have to feel like mice -- and Baylor's the cat, toying with them before finally moving in for the kill.

On the other hand, I have to admit that they'd have been hard-pressed to come up with a method of waitlisting me that would have conveyed respect... I'm just grateful that I'm in somewhere. People who aren't really have to feel like mice -- and Baylor's the cat, toying with them before finally moving in for the kill.

I'm sure those who interviewed at Baylor are not only waiting for Baylor with no other acceptances... I mean let's be honest, every other school has already let people in. Baylor is the only one waiting till July.

This is a little bit random, but perhaps shows that the administration is trying to encourage people who are holding a Baylor offer and other offers to make a decision (and just remind people). They sent out an e-mail to everyone who hasn't paid their deposit (which is due May 15th) to remind them to send it in. This might motivate some who are holding multiple acceptances to decide. I doubt we are going to see much movement on decisions until financial aid packages come out, maybe at the end of April? I realize this isn't very encouraging, but perhaps it helps keeps those who want to stay informed up-to-date. There is also supposed to be an information update that comes out May 1 for the people who have been accepted (usually various logistical factoids such as financial aid application, school calendar updates, etc.).

I do recall a few people in the class who got in off the waitlist onky a few weeks before Orientation. I guess we'd all like to know if she was told she was on a waitlist, or in this strange limbo. Would it maybe be more tolerable to just conceive of this limbo as a waitlist (or purgatory)? Also, does anyone know if Baylor has filled the class at least full? Also, what's the class size anyway?

has anyone read the book "blink" by malcom gladwell? i'm reading it right now and love it. "blink is a book about how we think without thinking, about making choices that seem to be made in an instant - in the blink of an eye - that actually aren't as simple as they seem....." gladwell actually contends that some decisions are better made as a snap judgement by our unconcious rather than as a well-thought out decision....the whole concept makes a lot of sense...i think you see where i'm going with this...

Last edited:
**** balyor man... i met lots of uthousont mpeople last weekend and they kickass..... **** i'm drunkasdf

well...it's here...

"Baylor College of Medicine continues acceptance to the 2007 entering class and have now placed you on our wait-list from which acceptances will be made as positions become available. The number of wait-list applicants selected for acceptance depends on the number of applicant withdrawals, and this varies substantially from year to year. Hence, our office cannot tell you, with any certainty, the number of wait-list applicants to be accepted or your position on the wait-list. Acceptance from the wait-list occurs mainly in May and early June.

We really appreciate your continued interest in Baylor College of Medicine and hope that we will be able to offer you a place in the entering class. However, if you do not wish to be considered further for a position, please send us an email requesting withdrawal.

Sincerely,

Lloyd H. Michael, Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine and
Sr. Associate Dean for Admissions "

well...it's here...

"Baylor College of Medicine continues acceptance to the 2007 entering class and have now placed you on our wait-list from which acceptances will be made as positions become available. The number of wait-list applicants selected for acceptance depends on the number of applicant withdrawals, and this varies substantially from year to year. Hence, our office cannot tell you, with any certainty, the number of wait-list applicants to be accepted or your position on the wait-list. Acceptance from the wait-list occurs mainly in May and early June.

We really appreciate your continued interest in Baylor College of Medicine and hope that we will be able to offer you a place in the entering class. However, if you do not wish to be considered further for a position, please send us an email requesting withdrawal.

Sincerely,

Lloyd H. Michael, Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine and
Sr. Associate Dean for Admissions "

via email or snail mail?

via email or snail mail?

Got it too. Email. I guess it's nice to be officially waitlisted though this still sucks. I guess we'll all know for sure mid-June.

nothing over here, wonder what that means :scared:

nothing over here, wonder what that means :scared:

me neither :scared: omgomgomg i have no idea what to think i just know my heart is racing now

hopefully something good will come of all our waiting! :luck:

Got the email too. I'm going to take it as a rejection. Anyone know if they waitlisted everyone that interviewed last year who did not receive an outright acceptance?

I interviewed in Oct, no e-mail yet. So no, I don't think everyone that interviewed was waitlisted.

As to no news, I'm afraid that means a rejection is on its way via snail mail...

I interviewed in Oct, no e-mail yet. So no, I don't think everyone that interviewed was waitlisted.

As to no news, I'm afraid that means a rejection is on its way via snail mail...

Not necessarily, I know that sometimes the email can take longer to reach certain email addresses.

On a side note, I know admissions said they will not tell you where you are on the waitlist, but I wonder if they will tell us how many are on the WL.

holy s***, you're right. Just received the waitlist e-mail from Baylor, arrived at 1:21pm! Never thought I'd be so happy to get on a waitlist! :eek:

Received waitlist email at 1:30, withdrew at 1:31.

Good luck everyone!

Waitlisted here, too. I'm OOS, though. Does anyone know if there are different waitlists for OOS and IS applicants? I imagine it is probably just one waitlist, but if two I might have a better chance of eventually getting in.

Also, does anyone know how many people are generally waitlisted, and how many people are pulled off that waitlist?

I'm OOS as well. I've heard that there's a better chance of getting in as an OOS post-June 15, which is the deadline at which Baylor will no longer accept Texas residents already accepted at another Texas school.

But overall in terms of being waitlisted, it's still a dim hope. If you look at last year's thread, there was little to no movement at all in the waitlist.

I'm OOS as well. I've heard that there's a better chance of getting in as an OOS post-June 15, which is the deadline at which Baylor will no longer accept Texas residents already accepted at another Texas school.

But overall in terms of being waitlisted, it's still a dim hope. If you look at last year's thread, there was little to no movement at all in the waitlist.

That's good to know. I'll just take my state school acceptance and forget about Baylor, then. I couldn't possible wait until June to hear about an acceptance and then go down there, find a house, and move my family there and get settled in before school begins. I'm glad I already have other acceptances so I don't have to worry about putting my family in that position.

Good luck to everyone. :luck:

got the waitlist letter here too. i wonder if baylor rejects anyone post interview

got the waitlist letter here too. i wonder if baylor rejects anyone post interview

Me too. Just got it, so they're still sending them... thank goodness. I didn't think they outright rejected (m)any, and I was getting a bit worried...